Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

I got bit by a dog. What are some of the symptoms I might have if the dog has rabies.?

What happens when you swallow a quarter?

Additional Details
For those of you wondering ,it was'nt me, it was my boyfriend,his friend thought it would be funny to put it perfectly on top of his beer bottle,and he ...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH Me!!??
I was in class and we were working on a class play when i was pushed and i hit my head HARD on the cement floor. I went home after that and i feel: REALLY tired, its hard to walk straight and, i am ...

Finger help!?
This Friday, I had got my right middle and ring fingers caught in the part of the garage door that bends, I got it treated immeadeatly, but I still have little little purple-ish pink marks on my ...

My bruise doesn't hurt!!!?
I have a bruise on the very bottom of my thumb and it doesn't hurt at all! I touch it and even rub it but it doesn't hurt. And yes it's a bruise because it's purple....

Whats wrong with me??sick?
jan 2nd my throat started acting up, it only hurt on my left side to swallow. i managed the pain and would spray cepacol and take ibuprofen then i would feel better.got but on jan 4th it got worse. ...

I have a small burn on my leg from a motorbike exhaust pipe which has now blistered.should i pop the blister ?

Red Srcatches on my husband's back. He said he got those from working out or he cheated on me? Please help!
Hi,

This happened last night that I happened to see scratches on my husband's back (I did take 3 pictures of the scratches). The moment I saw those red scratches on his back, I was ...

Don't say I'm stupid........?
because I really want to break my arm! I've got a perfectly good reason to but I can't say why!!! Could someone please give me an idea?!!...

How come people don't type the full word?
What I mean is; people using the shortcuts of words/phrases. For example, u, lol, ppl any1, r etc. I just want to know why people are lazy when they type.
Additional Details
I put it in ...

Oh my God, I'm in my office. Someone just walked in with a gun and shot Ms. Stephenson the recptionist?
OH God what should I do, he's killing everyone OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME. I have a Beretta in my drawer. Should I risk going out there?
Additional Details
I killed him. I actually ...

How do you make it stop?
Oh my gosh!!! Seriously it is the most annoying thing ever. My eyes have been doing this thing for the past couple of months where they will randomly twitch.

What causes an eye to twitch? ...

How do i fake injury?
how do i fake a really really sore ankle or actually half break it. I need to know I NEED to get out of winter inter school sports. Because everyone always laughs at me. Oh and i want it to kind of ...

Help Me this is serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
My knee has been hurting me for about three weeks now. I first noticed it when I was playing in a softball game and I slid into second base. The next day it hurt very bad. And every day it has been ...

How do I know if this is a paper cut?! NEED HELP FAST PLZ?
I cut myself on paper and it huuuuuuuuurts
WHAT DO I DO?! please ...

Where can i brake my arm?
I had a bet with my friend that whatever experiences he goes through, i do too. He broke his arm a month ago and now im thinking about honouring our deal. Any ...

VERY mysterious question! please help!?
I was with my friends one staurday night, way later in the
evening, say 11:00 pm - 2:00 am, and we were walking on the sand right on the beach. My friend was walking closest to the water, when ...

If i were to hit someone around the head with a melon would it hurt?

Ok ouch! i have a cut?
i got mad becuz i didnt wanna g2 skool in the morning, and my dad said i had to go
i started arguing
but it ended up with me getting really mad
and taking my hand and slamming it into ...

10 POINTS TO BEST AnSWER!!!?
ok i dont know what it is and I am not a doctor but you can hopefully help.
ok in december i really felt tired all the time and I had pain in my bones. I would sleep most of the day, however to ...

Otto Sump
Should i have my finger amputated?
I was in a motorbike crash in january and was very badly injured. I broke 19 bones. I have made a good recovery but still have problems with my right hand. the most notice able is that my little finger has fused. the bones wer all smashed and have heald in to 1 bone. this means i cannot move my little finger. My doctor has recomended i have it removed as i tend to catch it in doors and draws. the only reason to keep it is for cosmetic reasons. i know i will find things easyer with out it in the way but cutting off a finger is a big move. what should i do?

Monkeyphil
Rating
sacrifice it on the altar

llauramcnulty
i had my neck fused i know about not being able to move freely if i could have it cut off i would but this is your decision

icunurse3
Rating
I'm a registered nurse and I work in Intensive Care. I see the worst case scenario every day that I go to work, so keep that in mind as you read my post. You had your wreck in January. With 19 bones broken, I suspect you spent quite some time in the hospital. My advice to you is to take your time making this decision. Usually, after an injury such as yours, people will slowly start to change the way the move/do things so as not to keep injuring themselves. Once you amputate the finger, it's gone forever. Another concern: Do you have other health conditions that might make extra surgery particulary risky for you? For example, if you have diabetes or use steroids for inflammation or asthma, your body's ability to heal is reduced. Educate yourself about risks vs benefits of the proceedure, and then you can make a true "informed" decision. I would, as a side note, be skeptical of a physician who recommended surgery that was not absolutely necessary for medical reasons. Lastly, consider the psychological effects it may have on you in advance. Will you be self-conscious about missing a pinky? If it were my finger, the risk of infection or sepsis (complications of ANY surgery) alone would be enough reason for me to say no, at least until you see if you are going to adapt to your pinky as it is now. You said it best, having a pinky amputated is "a big move".

triciasdish
Are you talling the truth? So this means you have no feeling in it? You also have no mobility? If there's no feeling then you dont feel pain, so who cares if you get it caught in a door.

Keep your finger.
However if you decide to amputate, ask the doector to keep it so you can make a ball scratcher.

Francis7
Not recommended my son had two toes amputated and now hes 26 suffers from arthritis in the stumps.Sorry no easy answer.Good Luck.

tohelpyouandyou
It is a big move, but before you do anything seek a few doctors..That way, it will settle inside you better, inside your mind.

I think your lucky its your little finger...Ah! no more being elegant,when drinking tea..But, all jokes aside...just get some more advice first.o.k....
The way you had the accident, I would say that after 19 broken bones!! the loss of that little finger....is a small price to pay.....

IF it need be, and that you may well be very lucky to be alive!...all the best ....smiles.

bodepeca4
Rating
You should do what is best for you. Maybe go to a counselor and talk about your feelings. Also talk to your doctor some more and tell him/her your true feeling

GOLDILOCKS
Rating
Otto ,an amputation is a big thing !
If you don't hurt yourself with it don't do it !
Why don't you get a nice ring that is for your ring finger AND your little finger together ! So that the two are attached and your pinky can't go astray !
Good luck and I hope you drive a car now !

jmmcakes
Rating
My husband had the same problem. He was injured and the doctors had to remove all but his second toe on his right foot. The remaining toe kept getting caught, bumped, ect. He finally decided to have it removed after breaking it twice. It was painful at first, but hes very happy that he had it removed.

Tabulah Erassa
Rating
Can you have the doctor break it once to be placed in a convenient position that just looks like it's at rest, not stiff and in the way like it is now? I would hate to lose my finger, or any part of me really, and I hope my suggestion is feasible. My condolences.

amarie
Rating
I know a guy who cut his index finger off in a table saw (yeah, ouch), but you can hardly notice it's not there! In fact, when he was taking dance classes with his wife, one of the other women in the class grabbed his hand pretty hard and he had to explain to her that he was missing a finger and it hurt!

This is a decision you'll have to make for yourself: is it worth it to keep the finger so your hand looks "normal," or would your life be easier without it?

Good luck!

todd.phifer@sbcglobal.net
Rating
Only you can answer that question. However, I have a friend that lost his finger in an accident several years ago. He was able to adjust to not having his finger. Now, he does not even notice that it is missing. Now, it looks kind of funny when he puts gloves on and doubles up his fist, because the finger he lost was his middle finger. So it looks like he is flipping you the bird. He has a good sense of humor though, and it does not bother him a bit.

Your pinkie finger is not the most important finger and I believe you will adjust to not having it. But, if you don't want to have it removed, you should not have the procedure done.

jessiekatsopolous
Rating
Since it is your body, you are the one who must take into account what your doctor recommended, and then do what you feel is right. Don't ask this group.

louis b
Rating
Thumbs up on the amputation.

J C
I think it's a difficult decision but the answer has to be have it amputated. You may catch it very badly one day and then this will be worse as you'll have to have it removed anyway. It's hard, cos it's part of your body, but just be grateful that it's (only?) your little finger.

My great-uncle lost four fingers off his right hand as a child because he was on a see-saw and there was broken glass on the ground. He managed to live a fulfilling and productive life -it never held him back (apart from playing the piano).....

Adam B
Rating
You have said it all, that the reason you are keeping it is for cosmetic reasons and i believe your doctor must have made you aware of the danger this could pose if you have it removed, in which case No danger. In-fact it has been recommended that you have it removed. So my dear what you waiting for.In short please have it cut off tomorrow.Or you can have it removed tonight by yourself but be careful not to hurt yourself. A word is enough for the wise

vicky s
Rating
The only person who can anawer this is yourself, its a big decision for you and you will need to think how you will feel without it, if i was in your situation i would have it removed because it is going to get more damaged with keep catching it in doors and draws and this seems to really bother you and as you say you feel you will be better of with out it and it wont cause you any disability having it removed i have a friend who as had some of his fingers removed and he manages fine with only 2 fingers and his thumb on 1 hand and 3 finger and his thumb on the other. good luck in what ever you choose to do

RM
Start looking around you every day - it's amazing how many people have part or all of one or more fingers missing!

A little finger you can live without. It's up to you to answer the question for yourself. Some people get very skilled at learning how to avoid hurting themselves - that depends on the angle it's fused at.
If the pain and constant irritation of it is interfering with you day to day life, it's an option worth serious consideration.

heleneaustin
Rating
The pros of having it removed far outweigh the cons, but its your body and you have to make the decision.

Tabbyfur aka patchy puss
Rating
That's a question that only you can answer. I'm sitting here with my little finger covered to see what I think and it wouldn't look to bad but it's a big step to decide from answers on here.

mamma bird
Rating
sorry to hear of your accident. think of it this way you still can walk move and talk. my dad had his little finger smashed offat his job years ago. i still remember while at the bus stop on cold mornings he would have some of the kids "twist" his finger he had on gloves. they had no idea. if you feel that having this done is not for you then by all means don't. this is someting that if done you will learn to cope with. good luck with your decision

baby j
Rating
I feel that this is a question that you will have to answer for yourself. All I can do is make suggestions and ask questions. How do you feel about losing your finger, do you feel it would be better without it to keep from injuring yourself even more with getting caught in different situations, would it bother you extremely to not have it, what and how would you handle it if it got stuck in something more serious for example machinery at work and then have it ripped off, I do feel like it would be better to have it removed, but then again it is not my finger. Do what your heart tells you and good luck in whatever decision you decide on

gromitcollett
Rating
I agree with Jessie, this has to be your decision...nobody here has been through what you have. It must be horrible for you and I truly sympathise.

If you're considering it as an option but you're worried about the cosmetics - don't worry too much about that. A good friend of mine has 2 fingers missing on his right hand and you really don't notice it. He was conscious of it at first and hid it, but he's gotten more and more confident about it as time as gone on.

In the end though, its your decision. Please don't let anybody else influence you either way. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

What, what, what??
Rating
If it were me, I would probably lean more to not having the finger removed...especially if it is still healthy and has circulation. Just make it a habit to be more careful and be aware of your hand. Try not to catch it in doors and draws. That sounds like you are pretty reckloose with your hands. Unless there were other reasons why your doctor recommended you removing your finger---I would get a second opinion.

Just Curious
Before I did anything, I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Another doctor may have a better solution than just cutting it off (e.g., breaking the bone again and using inserts, replacing the bone with metal pins, etc.).

If they all gave me the same answer, I'd probably keep the finger unless it had become a serious nuisance.

Kaorin ☥
Rating
I think that you should have it amputated. It's not a big deal, and it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier, you know?

Don't worry so much about the way it looks, but how much easier it'll be. You don't want to hurt yourself anymore than you already have..

phyllis_neel
it is a big decision-if you trust your Dr.'s judgement, and you already know you have problems dealing with it....go for it. you will manage well--people all over who are missing parts and they manage very well. good luck

wayouthere
Rating
Wow, i'm sorry you got hurt, but glad you're still here on planet Earth.

If you think it would make your life easier, then I think amputation is a good idea. If there is definately no chance of it ever being a usable digit again.

if there is a chance you can use it again, I would leave it in tact.

angel77
I've worked with lots of people who have had a finger amputated, either traumatically or electively. Its not even noticable usually, esp if its the 'pinkie'.
If it were me, I'd go with the docs advice.
Its a good talking point in the pub if nothing else!
Good Luck, and am glad you've made a good recovery from your accident

Emz77
I know it's a big move, but I honestly think if it was me I'd get rid of it. You're only going to keep injuring it and it'll end up looking so battered and freaky, you'd be better off without it. Good luck!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy