Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

My Hand hurts, should I go to the ER?
I have a really sore, swollen and kind of bruised hand. Parts are black and blue.

It hurts to move so badly that i have resorted to just sitting and crying. It functions properly, so my ...

He's killing himself HELP!!!?
my best friend has a bloodclot on the bottom of his back. It hurts him so bad that all he does is sleep. Now is exspelled from school. I told him all he's doing is making it stronger by staying ...

Does it hurt worse to be stung by a jellyfish or a wasp?

Additional Details
I'm not talking irakundji (the deadly jellyfish), but I mean the sting in general, size of the sting being proportionate....

I this is weried but in surgery do the let you wear underwear?

Do I need a tetnus shot? drill bit injury...?
Okay, nice one -- I was drilling a hole and the drill bit wasn't in tight, the bit went at an angle into my finger. Traumatic, lots of blood and quite a hole, but I didn't hit bone, it ...

I cut myself for the first time...?
I did it for the first time ever today...and when i did it, i blacked out. I dont remember anything except looking at my bloody wrist...im scarred because i dont want to do it again....

Ouch! right between the legs!?
we had a big game of basketball today after school. I went for a pass and hit another girl from the other team right in the face causing her to tumble over. I came over and stood above her to see if ...

What's wrong with me..?
I was sitting on my couch, and began to walk across the room. All the sudden, I blacked out.. I grabbed the entertainment center, and next thing I knew I was laying on the floor.. my hands were ...

How soon after stepping on a rusty nail do you need to get a tetanus shot? Can you wait a couple of weeks?
My wife is on vacation in Florida and stepped on a rusty nail. It pierced her shoe and left a mark on her foot, but her foot did not bleed. She's wondering if she needs to get a tetanus shot ASAP...

Do I need to go to the Emergency Room?
I was out in the sun all week long and I still feel nauseous and dizzy. I got really badly sunburned to. I dont want to go into the ER only for them to tell me that nothing is wrong but I feel like ...

How Do You Know If A Bone Is Broken??
Foot went completely under leg, ankle is swollen severely, black, blue extremely painful...not able to fully weight bare, though can hobble.

Sprain or break?...

Big toe stuck in a bowling ball?
I asked this yesterday and its still stuck. What happen was yesterday morning I was sitting in the chair. I was rolling a bowling ball around with my feet and toes. I put my big toe in the thumb hole ...

My principle choked me and i dont know what to do?
my principle choked me slammed med down to the ground and i pulled his tie and then he picked me up and then he twisted my arm back and he tried to break it what to do the police wont lock him up ...

Help with a burn?
i was curling my hair the other night and i burnt my cheek with my curling tongs...the skin actually bubbled and im left with a big mark on my cheek...it will definitely scab...i just need help on ...

After getting a MASSAGE, should the therapist be tipped?

Would you cry?? (continued. . .)?
6. If you got stung by a wasp?
7. If you got a tattoo?
8. If you got a 3rd degree burn on your stove?
9. If your boyfriend/girlfriend broke up with you?
10. If you cut your hand ...

How much pain can you take.. Whatever causes it. from -0 to +10?

Additional Details
Mind over matter....

How do I stop cutting my wrists?
I'm 15 and I been cutting my wrists for about 8 months and now I can't stop. I do it when i get sad or depressed which is pretty often. I've tried seeing a counselor but it only helped ...

Dont call me stupid or i need help but how do you brake your arm my arm?
my arm is really sore and its clicking i went to the hospital and they said theres nothing wrong with it and i cannot move it please help me brake my arm ...

I stopped smoking 9 days ago i have lots of questions?
ok i smoked 10 -15 a day since i was 12.
Since i stopped ( cold turkey no patches etc) ive noticed
A,harder to get to sleep
B,hot flushes
c, I can't stop eating which i'...

dee21sweet
My husband stepped on a rusted nail today, what Antibiotics are good for infection?
My husband fell off a ladder and landed on a rusted nail. The nail went through his shoe, in the ball of his foot and went in pretty deep, he thinks it hit the bone in his big toe or maybe a tendon. He recently got a Tetanus shot, what else should I do? I am watching for any signs of infection such as fever, pain, swelling, redness,... what is a good Antibiotic to start him on just in case of infection? P.S. why havn't we gone to the hospital you may ask? HE IS STUBBORN!!

joyceeleann
Aaah, you need to go the ER ROOM like now...You need a tetanus shot

Crashmaster
peroxide.... then polysporin and soaking it in salt water would help

?
Rating
take to doctor for the old penecilen shot and get it checked.

Steven's Love
Penicillin is the most used antibiotic for clearing up an infection. Of course you should definitely take him to the doctors cause he will need a tetanus shot. You might need to go to the ER tonight so the infection doesn't get too bad.

fuzzykjun
Rating
he stubborn enough to lose that foot? if the nail left any rusted metal bits in his toe bones he could get a bone infection that has two remedies,, amputation or death!! go to a doctor!!!

Neenie
Probably the best bet would to get him on an oral antibiotic to fight it from the inside out. Basically all you can do is keep the wound clean and encourage a trip to the doctor. I doubt neosporin would do much in this case.

tnlstn
Rating
A&D antibiotic oinment is a good topical and cleaning it daily with a peroxide rinse. You said hes had a recent tetenus shot but i would still keep a close eye on it for a day or so for infection.

mouse30227
um firstquickly wash it off wit sum alchhol or some poroxyde but to use fresh products use a lime it helps protect and coer the wounds of infection for a temporary time but its manditory u go to the emergency room

matsystud
Rating
my husband has a concrete company with a lot of stubborn hispanics, i make them go in to get a shot when that happens, think they only listen to me is because i too am hispanic unlike their white boss, my hubby....lol

kukukacoo
Rating
Good to see hes already had a tetanus shot.......Betadine and a plaster should fix him up no sweat.

utu-utu
I suggest he takes another shot of Anti- tetanus.And covered him with Oral Cloxacillin 500mg QID ,Oral Penicillin 1gm BD for a week

Shawnee
Rating
Penicillian, amoxicilan, tetracycline, zithromax. I'm not a Doctor, but my father is, these are suitable, he told me to tell you to soak it in 1/2 cup of Tide laundry soap and a larger bowl of warm water, let soak for 1/2 hour, then use epsom salt soak later in the day for 1/2 hour, do the soap 2 times a day, and in between the epsom salt. It will help swelling and discomfort, not to mention help clean out inside the puncture wound. You probably won't need the antibiotics by following these instructions.

ccourtneyw
He should go to the Dr. Most likely he'll get tetanus booster shot, since he's recently had the immunization. They may do an xray too. But not only that, they may need to cleanse of debride the wound, depending on how deep it is. I would get him to go to the Dr. soon. Infection is a concern, and it would be horrible to get a bone infection and lose a foot.Not only that but 'tetanus" is and can be fatal.

kathy g
Rating
well i can sympathies with you, my husband is to. but I would nag him till he went to go get checked lol

Baby #1 Due in March
Rating
Stubborn or not, he needs a doctor. Tell him it is very dangerous to have a rusted nail go through your body and infection is highly likely. It's good that he got a tetanus shot recently but I still think he needs to see a doctor. That is the only sure way to know he will be ok and a good way to get the correct antibiotics if necessary. People on yahoo answers may or may not know what they are talking about, a doctor knows for sure.

12hrdaze
Rating
Good thing he's got the tetanus shot.
Keep it clean, maybe some Polysporin or other ointment. Keep your eye on it as you are, if he is complaining or favoring it any more than he already is, insist you at least visit your family doctor. A round of oral antibiotics wont hurt... especially if it went in deep. .

Mike M
As long as his tetanus shot is up to date. and there isn't any bleeding , keep it clean and dry.Watch for any swelling or excessive redness. I stepped on two nails myself that were side by side in a board about 4 month's ago. Big ouch.

Neil L
Rating
You are doing the right things being that your husband won't see the doctor. Puncture wounds like that can be nasty. Your husband is going to have to go to the doctor to get an antibiotic because a prescription is required.

Princess Leia
Rating
Ya... he needs to go to a doctor... Just don't give him any antibiotic people describe on here... If he does'nt take the full course, or if he takes the wrong one, then the infection could come back stronger and antibiotic resistant. How do you know the correct dosage for his weight? What if he has an allergic reaction to the antibiotic? What if the antibiotics are too old to work effectively? He will not be so stubborn when he possibly has to get his foot amputated because of infection. Trust me... kick, scream, holler, nag, whine, throw tantrums... anything to get him to go to see a doctor. It will be worth it in the long run.

My motto is to always plan for the "worst case scenario". The worst case scenarios is: he does not go to the hospital, the nail had some kind of horrible bactieria on it, his foot gets badly infected, and he only loses his foot if he is lucky. Sure, chances are slim that this may happen, but there is always a chance. On the other hand, if you nag him to get him to go to the doctor, perhaps he will be a little annoyed, but he will have greater chances of being healthy... And as far as loses go, a little love lost between u guys from the nagging for a few minutes is not that big of a loss.

Well don't ASK then!
Well, usually in this sort of case, depending how recent the shot, the doctor may recommend another booster. It's better than your muscles becoming stiff like boards and dying in agony (yeah, that's tetanus, ask him how stubborn he's really willing to be). He'll need to go to the doctor anyway for an antibiotic. Topical creams won't do it. He needs either an oral one or an injection. Topical creams just kill the bacteria, etc. on and around the injury. If the nail went in deep, he could also face blood poisoning, because creams won't do it for a deep one!!!! A shot of penincillin and possibly a booster will make sure he has no problems. Give him these scenarios, and remind him they're so rare nowadays because people get the injuries treated when they occur.

TeriR
Rating
I hear you on the stubborn part! I live with one of those myself. But, how are you going to get antibiotics if he won't go get it checked out? If it's kept clean, he may not even need antibiotics. Good thing he's had the Tetanus booster. If he does end up needing antibiotics for something like this, the penicillin, amoxycillin, etc., family is likely what it would be. For now, a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin or Bacitracin and keeping it covered couldn't hurt. Obviously, you know he should go get this checked out, but you can't make him do it. Good luck. This whole thing is probably going to bother you more than it will him. ;-)

LD
I would do what he's doing. Nothing.

If it gets infected, you'll know. THEN he'll go.

Hootie J
not a big problem, Rusty nails are not good enviorments for bacteria. His biggest threat was tetnus, but he had a shot and it is good for at least 5 years.

So just keep the wound clean (detol) is best and there will be little chance of infection. A clean band aide and a cold beer and your man will be fine.

bluecube05
i would call the doctor and ask

Doodlestuff
Rating
He doesn't necessarily need an antibiotic. My Mom and Dad have done this to themselves repeatedly over the years with their home improvement projects. Never needed antibiotics.

We learned from the doctor recently, when my brother's liver stopped working due to infection, is that infection is actually GOOD. It draws white blood cells to do their job. Antibiotics can actually make some infections worse. So, just make sure the wound is clean and I would pour in hydrogen peroxide. That seems to solve a lot of problems without killing off white blood cells.

If it gets worse, then beat him over the head and drag his sorry *** into the car and go to the doctor.

If this had been a child under 5, then that would be a reason to go to the doctor now.

JenRN
As long as his tetanus shot is up to date there is no need to go to the hospital, you can call the dr in the morning. Tonight, soak it in warm water to help draw out infection. If you have these things, add them to the water (pick one, not all at once). Peroxide (a good amount), epsom salts, betadine. Actually, a good mix is warm water, betadine (enough to color the water) and 1/2 bottle of peroxide. Soak for 20 mins. After he is done soaking, put neosporin and a band aid on it. I would soak 2-3 times a day for a couple days.

kimama
You can't just give him any abtiobiotics, if its not infected , doesn't need one. If the wrong antibiotic is taken it could allow the bacteria to flourish faster. Tetanus shot is only effective against the bacteria that causes tetanus. If his bone gets infected you could lose that part. and if by some chance he has undiagnosed diabetes or circulation problems the wound may not heal for months, or years,which then you end up eventually losing it. -- better get it checked out by your dr. .Where were you planning to get these antibiotics anyway? If they were prescribed for someone else, then that person didn' finish all the pills as directed, and then they wonder why they get recurrent UTI or other infections .

Jojo
My husband did the same thing a couple of yrs ago. He went straight tho the Dr and got a course of antibiotics and a tetanus shot. All seemed ok. 3 months later in the space of 24 hrs...he couldn't walk. He went back to the same Dr and was admitted to hospital within an hr. Turns out that the nail did in fact graze the bone and it was the bone that got infected and it was called "osteomylitis". It just took 3 mnths to show symptoms. He spent 10 days in hospital and was off work for 3 weeks. They almost had to remove the infected bone completely but luckily the iv drugs finally worked. If u can get him to the dr....ask for an xray of his foot. If it did graze the bone...they can start the correct antibiotics early or at least monitor the bone and maybe he wont need to go through what my hubby did.
Good Luck.

mlgable
Rating
DO NOT give him antibiotics without a docs say so. If you have old antibiotics in the house put them away for your next drug recycling day in your community. Wash the wound well with warm water and mild soap. If you are worried about infection then use tea tree oil on it. Otherwise just keep it clean and dry till it heals.

Anne
If he's up to date on tetanus, and you cleaned the wound out immediately and plan to keep it clean, there's really no reason to go on antibiotics unless you see signs of infection.
If you do start to notice something, don't hesitate though.
But for now, just keep it clean and don't treat an illness that you don't have.
Like " mlgable" says, tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial that is extremely effective.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.124
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy