Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

kai
Is drawing blood supposed to hurt?
Hey guys,

I drew blood on Friday and I think something isn't right. I have small veins so whenever I draw blood I let the people doing it know, but they ignore me anyway. One time I was even stuck about 10 times and they had to draw it out of my right hand which was painful btw. But anyway, like I was saying, I drew blood on Friday and the people were very unprofessional to me (this is a lab). The man who did it stuck me real hard and pushed the needle in and I felt a crunching feeling in my right arm. He could not catch a vein, so I told him he may need to use a smaller needle. So then, he pulled the needle out some and then tilted it to the side, I beared with it, but then I started feeling this horrible pressure, and told him it hurt and now I have a bruise in the area-3 days later. I had my blood drawn on ONE occasion and I never felt a thing, but this was the WORST. Is this wrong?
Additional Details
BTW-The area is still painful (where it is bruised).

TONY
that happens millions of times everyday all around the world, mostly because lacking of experience of the phebotomyst. I could take a blood sampler from your veins and you will only feel pleasure, almost a climax.

BOB H
Rating
hmm you had a sharp piece of metal jammed into you arm into a blood vessel. should this hurt? you figure that out. but I'm going with yes

boobookitty
Rating
sounds like he stuck the needle through your vein instead of into it. I've had a nurse do me that way before putting in an IV. Those needles are like the size of a fence post compared to the needle they use for just drawing blood. The soreness took a while to go away. Next time it hurts and you tell them and they still hurt you, you have the right to ask for another person to do it. :)

Mac Attack
Rating
i've had the same experience, but when I complained to the doctor he told me 'you must have moved'. I had a huge hard lump and a bruise at the site, and it was painful. I now longer donate blood after I have read horror stories about what they do to it before it is actually used. In answer to your question YES it is very wrong.

caffsans
Rating
sorry you had to go through the pain
it is not supposed to hurt you
when it does ,the person is obligated to use a smaller needle
if this continues tell your Dr
the pain will stay awhile longer in the one that was bruised badly and the bruising will take up to a week to go away

fateridder
Rating
happend to me too , some people do what they are comfortable with doing , however it doesnt always work on all people

berniemacatab
Rating
you might want to contact your doctor..that does not seem normal....and it is not supposed to hurt three days later after drawing blood.

Coach
That is bad when they have to keep on sticking you to get it right. It has happened to me several times also but your case sounds far worse. I have also had bruise marks.

I suspect lesser cases of this have happened to many people, and in most cases is just a matter of chance. It's probably like hitting a baseball, or shooting freethrows in basketball, the good professionals hit 9 -of 10, others hit only 6 of 10.

If the area around the stick starts turning red, or if you start getting a fever you need to head to an emergency care center immediately for treatment as a serious infection could be at work.

If it is only a bruise, and doesn't continue to get worse you just need to use your judgement or perhaps call the clinic where the blood was drawn and discuss any concerns.

Hopefully everything will be ok.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy