Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

Will this affect me playing soccer?
My toenail is basically dead and will most likely have to be removed (its my big toe)
Can I still play soccer if It is removed?
What is the general recovery time?...

I've got a ganglian on my wrist?
it's been there for years. sometimes its worse than others. when its big i find it embarrasin but i also find it uncomfortable when i flex my wrist. what exactly is a ganglian, will i always ...

Does anyone have any ideas of how to break if not just injure yourself, like an arm or leg or foot...?
Nothing too serious, just enough to not allow to play a sport....
I know I must sound insane, but this is an actual non-joking question....I just need something wrong, like a break, maybe a ...

I have a blister type thing on my toe on my left foot..from idk what but its there what do i do???? it hurts?
i walked home today and my toe was killin me so i took of my shoes and socks looked at my foot saw my toe and theres a blister type thing on it... how do i get rid of it??
Additional Details...

Do you have any really great stories about a scar you have?

How do you know if you have broken a bone in your foot?
Earlier I tripped up and my foot is agony! I actually cant put any pressure on it or anything and I think I might have broken a bone :-| although I can move my toes but it is still agony when I do it!...

Should i use this ice pack?
so i work at an office in a hotel, and my foot is swollen (long story, but i cant go home) so room service brought down 2 ice packs...one is an air tight sealed pack full of ice, the other is a "...

I have pulled a muscle in my calf (on the inside)it wont go away has anybody got a cure?

How can I stop being nervous about my scoliosis surgery?
I'm going to have scoliosis surgery in december. i'm gonna have to miss 2 months of school, not to mention have a 13-in scar down my back for the rest of my life. and i've been a ...

Cramped muscle...what is this disease?
I am swimming at a pool without warming up before swimming. Coz I'm a beginner swimmer, i am excited. I challenges my friends to compete swimming back and forth many times. Suddenly, i scream as ...

Should i see surgeon?
here's my question. i have a mass upper right part of abdomen. seen my doctor, he said it was not a hernia. then he ordered a ct scan. that came back showing nothing. now my dr wants me to ...

My knuckle is badly swollen, how can I fix it?
So about 5 months ago I was testing for a belt in Tae Kwon Do, and while breaking a board I hurt my knuckle and it swelled up and got a little bit bigger. So today I got mad and punched the floor, ...

My parents dont belive me...Do I actually brake it to where a bone sticks out so they do belive me.?
we are playing pickelball It is like a wooden pickel ball padel basicly a wooden padel Some kid hit me on the top of my hand with the wooden padel full force and my hand swelled u of course I sticked ...

BROKEN wrist! ICE or HEAT!?
I broke my wrist 2 weeks ago and I have a splint on. It is still a bit swollen and a bit uncomfortable. Should I be applying ice or heat at this period to make the swelling go down? T...

How many injuries does it take before one stops partying so heavy?

Is there any kind of wrist exercises i can do to make my wrist feel better?
i was hit by a car less than 3 months ago and i was taken to the hospital for treatment on numerous things but they only said my wrist was sprained...it does feel alot better than it did the day ...

How can I fix my swollen fingers?
My kind brother "accidentally" slammed my fingers in the car door and now they r swollen. I haved Iced them alot and taken a motrin butthey r still in a lot of pain. I dont thin they r ...

Is it possible to bruise a muscle or soft tissue, with out seeing a bruise on the skin?
I fell snowboarding on my hip. The hip bone doesn't hurt, it is the muscle that is just above it, but there is no mark. I haven't gone to the doctor's since it costs too much, but I ...

Could i have a pinched nerve?
I got pushed off a couch last night and I fell on my tailbone. I can walk (slowly) but when i move my left leg it hurts really bad. Could I have a pinched nerve or is it something else?...

How to recover from bad ....?
rotater cuff injury, as well as two stress fractures, and an out of alignment shoulder all on the right arm. I play volleyball and need help!!!!...

alice m
I am very anxious around needles. Having a blood draw soon. scared please help me. Will it really hurt?
Are nurses used to treating nervous patients?

Will they be able to calm me down, and distract me?

Last time i had a blood test, was 4 years ago, the nurse was really horrid. And she had me restrained. lol.

So after that terriffying experience am worried about this time.

any advice please post. Please don't make fun of me, i wish i wasn't like this.

tire gal
Rating
Look away, take deep, calming breaths, and close your eyes. That's the best thing. Usually it pinches a little, but then it's over.

DrIndeed
What happens during a blood test? Will it hurt?
A doctor, nurse, or lab technician (someone whose job is to draw blood) will use a small needle to get some blood out of a vein, probably in your child’s arm. Your child will feel a pinch when the needle goes in, but it is over very quickly.

Many people, both children and adults, are afraid of needles. It is not unusual, especially if a person has had a bad experience getting blood drawn in the past. No one enjoys getting blood drawn. Even if your child is older and intellectually grasps why the test is needed, he or she may have a hard time with it emotionally.
if u a mother.
The most important thing you can do is empathize with your child. Put yourself in your child’s place so that you can support his or her unique needs. Make sure to let your child know that you accept his or her emotions. Now is not the time to say, “You have to be a big boy and not cry.” You might instead say, “I understand why you are angry. It doesn’t seem fair.” Or, “It’s okay to cry. I know it hurts.”

Different children experience fear in different ways, and of course it changes with age. Although there is no choice about whether or not to get an essential blood test, as a parent you have power over your child’s medical care. There are ways you can help your child have a better experience.

Help your child feel involved and in control. You might ask your child before the appointment, “Since we've got to get this blood test, how can we work together to make it as easy as possible?” Even very young children can help come up with a solution; their participation makes them want to try that much harder to make their ideas work.
For your younger child, test out suggestions like letting him or her sit on your lap during the blood draw. Your child may want you to distract him or her with laughter: tell a funny story or sing a song. Older children may prefer you to leave the room; this makes them feel more mature and in control.

Do everything you can to get your child to relax before the blood draw. It is much easier, faster, and less painful to draw blood when your child is not overly anxious and stressed. Leave plenty of time to get to the hospital. If you are tense due to traffic or other hassles, it may affect your child’s mood as well. Play soothing music in the car on the way to the lab. Alternatively, you might want to distract your child with a fun game like “I Spy”. Older kids may just enjoy a laid-back conversation about school or an upcoming party. If possible, bring only the child who is getting the test. This way, you can focus on him or her. After the test, perhaps you can both recuperate with some one-on-one activities.
Immediately before and during the blood draw, use any method that works to calm your child. Don’t worry about how it looks to other people. Right now, your child’s state of mind is all that counts. Sing lullabies, rub your child’s shoulders -- whatever comforts your child. Older children can be taught breathing exercises, meditation, guided imagery, or other relaxation techniques.

Reassure your child that you will make sure he or she gets the best possible treatment, and know when to say when. It may help to let the nurse or technician know beforehand about your child’s fear of needles. Beyond drawing blood, his or her job is also to help your child get through it as comfortably as possible.

If your child requires frequent blood draws, he or she is bound to experience a difficult one. There is nothing wrong with requesting that another technician take over if things are not going well. Just make sure to make your wishes known courteously and respectfully. Lab technicians dread aggressive parents. A confrontation may makes them tense and cause them to miss more often.
Generally, it’s best to give a technician two or three tries before requesting someone new. In some cases (for instance, if your child is dehydrated), his or her veins may be especially difficult to find. In that situation, it is better to let someone familiar with the current status of your child's veins try a third time than to get a new person involved.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Frequent blood draws can become a major emotional issue for children. If your child’s fear of needles is or becomes extreme, you may want to seek the help of professionals.

Be sure to tell your child that you are proud of him or her. Enduring a blood draw despite fear is heroic -- no matter how your child acted during the draw. Also remember your effort is something to be proud of, too. Seeing someone you love go through an illness requiring a lot of medical intervention is very hard. It can be emotionally and physically draining, pushing you to your limits. You may even think it would be easier if you were the one who was sick, and not your child. Continuing to empathize with and be there for your child through it all, without shutting down, makes a world of difference.

samiracat
Oh, hon, you've got LOTS of company! (Trust me; I'm a nurse.)

Tell them flat-out you're ***scared purple and green and have had bad experiences with needles***. You're not the first adult who's said that. There is NOTHING wrong with saying "I'm really, really scared and I want to react like a terrified 3 year old!" (You should see ME at the dentist's office---g.)

If you can give them advance notice (let's say you're having a routine physical, with bloodwork)---the nurse practitioner/doctor may be able to order some great stuff called EMLA---it's a local anesthetic cream, which can be applied to the area where they're going to do the stick. (Works great with kids in the ER, especially when they're going to need stitches.)

Or ask if they can put an ice cube over the area of the draw. Yes, it can make the vein shrink a bit, but a good phlebotomist (and a good big vein) may not make this a problem. Small needles ("butterfly") types also work well.

Try taking medium-sized breaths (real deep breaths might make you hyperventilate and faint!) in through the nose and out through the mouth. Look away from what's going on. Ask the tech to talk to you---about ANYTHING else. With a good tech, you'd be surprised how fast they can get in and out....

Good luck. You CAN get through this!

dragonkisses
She had u restrained? For a blood test? U know, u can refuse any medical procedure and they can't restrain u and take it by force. That's assault. Anyway, if u have to have the blood work drawn, do not look at the needle. Don't watch at all. Turn away, don't watch them prep the supplies or anything. DON'T LOOK!! Take slow, deep breaths, and if possible, take someone with u to hold ur hand. Someone might want to hold the arm that they r taking the blood from so that u don't pull away when they stick u. That way u don't have to get stuck twice. Tell them to get their best phlebotomist, cuz they only get one chance.

JJ M
Rating
As a phlebotomist for 12 years I have seen all ranges of emotions and fear.

The first thing to remember is that you are there for a reason. You need to have the tests done so the doctor can get the results.

When you go in, ask the lab for their best phlebotomist. Be insistent. There is a great deal of difference between someone who has been drawing blood for 12 years and one that just graduated from a phlebotomy program.

When you are ready to have your blood drawn, ask them to use a butterfly needle. This needle has two "wings" on it that make it a little easier to control. The needle itself is also a smaller gauge and is slightly less painful. There is a small length of tubing attached with an adapter on the end for placing the tubes needed for testing.

When it is time to have your blood drawn, look away or close your eyes. You will be amazed at how little it hurts, and how fast it goes.

Remember that most people in the medical professions do not want to hurt you. They want to help you to be well and healthy.

golfgirl2011
Rating
Yes, I can help with this question. Nurses, for the most part, are very good at dealing with nervous patients. I have a good friend who is a nurse at my school and she is great at handling me. Most nurses don't care if you talk to them, so talk your heart out, just to distract yourself. How old are you? I am 23 and I am terriably horrified of needles. Best of luck to you. Be brave. And go in with a smile, its really, really hard to be nervous if you are smiling.

Tele_Health
That's very normal. Nobody enjoys needles, even healthcare workers. It's not easy, but just try to relax and think of something else and look away from the injection site. I used to be much worse, then started donating blood knowing that it was to save lives and that helped. You are having blood drawn to maintain your health. Tell the healthcare worker how you feel. They'll understand and before you know it, you'll be finished!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, January 24, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy