Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

I stopped smoking 9 days ago i have lots of questions?
ok i smoked 10 -15 a day since i was 12.
Since i stopped ( cold turkey no patches etc) ive noticed
A,harder to get to sleep
B,hot flushes
c, I can't stop eating which i'...

Should I be ashamed?
Since I was younger I've had a long scar running down the side of my face from an accident. Also I have scars from my more dangerous (let alone unexperienced) skateboarding days.

I�...

How can i make myself sleepy?

If you had broken your leg and your foot was itching how could you scratch it when you have a cast on?
Just interested to what you would do........

How to get rid of a hickie fast?
my boyfreind gave me two relly bad hickies like i had a vacuum attack me lol but i was wondering how to get rid of them ...

Define loneliness for you?

Pray for my son?
My son Troy is in the hospital because of a car wreck. He is only 10! It happened yesterday,right now he is doing okay but I just ask everyone to please pray for him! Thanks guys!
Additional D...

I hit my head very hard and now I am keep falling asleep but I'm not tired?
What is wrong with me?
Additional Details
I dad have a concussion, I also have a cracked skull. : P I ahve to back for a CAT scan tommo. They have to take precautions because my brain is ...

Could my foot be broken?
i stood on a stone now cant walk on my foot so ...

Have you ever got anything stuck in any of your orifices?
I once got a little green bead stuck right up my nose. It made me cry because my nose started bleeding. The doctor took it out with a giant pair of tweezers....

MY FriendS EYE FELL OUT!! WHAT SHOULD HE DO?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Why don't birds get electrocuted when they sit on pylons?

If you had to be knocked out, how would you like it to happen?

I need help men only !??
I hurt my privates playing rugby, I expected the pain to leave but it's been a week and the pain seems to be getting worse. It feels like it's inside like a tube or something.

P...

Heal cutting scars/cuts faster?
~How can I make the scars go away?
~How can I make the cuts less noticeable?
~If possible, how can I prevent the cuts from scarring?
I have them on my hips, arms, and ankles, if you ...

Hurt my knee at work , heat or ice ?

How can I hide my cuts?
I used to cut myself. I'm trying to stop... but Iam going to an event Friday that requires no sleeves. I have marks still on my arm, and I've been using neosporin to try to heal them faster....

Help! i just got shocked!?
ok so my laptop charger is like kinda broken and has a small small tear.
but i just got shocked

whats the worst that can happen? it was on my wrist but it kinda stings

Whould it be ok to use peroxide on ...?
my toe. about a week ago, i fell & my toenail hit the edge of the step, & popped up my toenail. I went to the doctor & they romoved it, bandaged it & sent me home, I changed the ...

Should i wait or should i go now ?
About a week ago i hit my arm really hard (or fast) against the metal bar of my bed ( it's stupid how i did ) and it was all swollen and sore afterwards. Its been a week and i think the ...

damian_dott
How soon after stepping on a rusty nail do you need to get a tetanus shot? Can you wait a couple of weeks?
My wife is on vacation in Florida and stepped on a rusty nail. It pierced her shoe and left a mark on her foot, but her foot did not bleed. She's wondering if she needs to get a tetanus shot ASAP or if she can wait until she's back home.

zekedog
she needs get it (now).

Jeff O
Well, actually you need a tetanus shot prior to the injury. There's two types of medications used to give you immunity to tetanus. Tetanus immune globulin is given to sensitize you to the bacteria, clostridium tetani. That shot needs to be prior to exposure (injury)

Boosters (tetanus toxoid) are given every 5 years in the event of of a dirty wound and every ten years in the event of a dirty wound.

~ Amanda ~
Rating
If it didnt break skin, I wouldnt worry. She could get one just in case if she's worried about it though.
Growing up my brother always managed to find a nail to put through his foot each summer. He always got the shot right away because his were always deep enough to cause a bit of bleeding.

Nightrider
If there is no piercing it is not so bad. Obviously blood would have oozed out. Otherwise, if it is just a mark it is not that serious. Still, it is good to get it checked.

On the flip side, if there has been any type of the rusty nail's contact with blood in anyway, tetanus shot should be administered almost immediately. The agony of the poison in her blood stream and the aftermath of the shock is not worth the wait.

random person
no you can't wait!! you have got to get to the doctor imediatly. try to find a doctor where she is now, but if you can't then bring her home right now and send her to your doctor.

candidworker
Rating
DO NOT WAIT

Jasmine Lily
Rating
I would say if it didn't penetrate her skin, she wouldn't need a shot. She could also call the doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse.

prettypixie1997
Get to a hospital.

divaterry1
Rating
If it broke the skin.....ASAP, unless she wants lockjaw and infection to set in? Time is important, it would be cheaper for her to see a local doctor for the injection, then to deal with a problem later.

gentle giant
I think that it should be delt with right away. Infection can set in quick!

heidielizabeth69
Rating
I believe you have to get one asap for it to work. Good luck.

^v^OH! BATS^v^
Rating
No wait till the tetanus spreads all over her leg.

chiquita958
Rating
Please tell her to go to local hospital in Florida and get that tetanus shot ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

I would. Better safe than sorry.

"N"saysable 1iric
If she has not had a tetnus shot in the last 10 years then she needs to get a shot ASAP, even if the nail did not break the skin or cause any bleeding.If I were her I wouldn't wait until I came home, I'd go to the nearest hospital triage dept. for an evaluation and a shot. Better safe than sorry!!!!

kasia8706
ASAP!!
teatnus can set in right away,

adventuris
Rating
A Tetanus shot is given every 7 years. How long has it been? I wouldn't wait if I wasn't sure. Check on the internet.

Collin R
She should get a tetanus shot ASAP. No need to risk getting something on her vacation that would spoil her time. Take care.

Nurse Annie
The time between the contamination of a wound and the first symptoms is usually less than 2 weeks but can range from 2 days to months. So in the chance that it could set in for 2 days, I would definately have it done asap.

Entity of Life
Rating
Right away is best to prevent any futher problems..however if she has had a shot in the past 5 years..she will be ok..no shot needed.

blink182fan117
The sooner the better because if you got infected now and waited that will be worse then finding a place to get a shot. Check if there are any 24-hr walk in clinics or maybe the emergency room of a hospital??

Tigger
Rating
Better safe than sorry. Get the shot.

Luann
Rating
If it broke the skin, she should get a tetanus shot ASAP because the infection can enter her bloodstream.

If it just left a bruise and didn't break the skin, then she probably doesn't need a shot at all (unless she wants one "just in case" so she's vaccinated).

She was lucky. That could have been so much worse.

Pam K
How long ago since her last tetanus shot? I wouldn't wait if I was her. Better to be safe than sorry...

bigsissam
I stepped on a rusty nail when I was about 10 years old and because my tetanus shot was still current I did not need a new one. So if her shot is recent enough she would not need a new one if she hasn't had one since she was a child she should go to the hospital, but you said it didn't break the skin in which case she probably doesn't need one at all.

t-dubya
it's not a good idea to wait
i'm no expert in diseases or bacteria,
but i do know that if you wait, you increase your chances of something you don't want to risk

jabbamonkey
Rating
If the nail didnt puncture the skin, then you probably have little to worry about. Rust causes infection, and can be pretty bad, but only if skin is broken.

However, it's always best to play it safe.

r.n.b
Rating
get one asap

mrchinlersir
Rating
You have to get it in 24 hours. Tetanus is a bacteria that lives almost everywhere in the dirt, but is for some reason famous for being on rusty nails. When you get the tetanus bacteria put in your foot from a nail the bacteria do not move all over the body and infect it, they merely infect the local area where they were implanted and put their toxin into the blood. The toxin goes to the nervous system and blocks inhibitory neurotransmitters, so the excitatory neurotransmitters are more powerful, leading to severe contractions, lockjaw, etc. When you have a tetanus shot you are injecting a toxoid, which is a mimic of the toxin, but without the bad effects. The reason you need a shot after stepping on a nail is to force your immune system to ramp up the anti-toxin antibodies that it already knows how to make. The bacteria take about 3 days to start making the toxin, but the immune system takes about 2 days to respond to the toxin (even if you have been immunized in the past, it takes 10 days if you have not been immunized at all), and by then the toxin would have done its job and possibly killed your wife. So to keep that from happening you get a tetanus shot that then forces your immune system to get to work before the toxin is present, so that when the toxin is made by the bacteria it will be neutralized before it can hurt your wife. I hope this helps.

mitch180
Rating
Tetanus is rare in the U.S. The offending toxin can live for years in animal feces and soil.

If the nail did not break the skin, there is usually no treatment required. There needs to be a puncture of some sort or even a superficial wound.
Symptoms of tetanus infection can begin within 2 days, but usually appear within 5-10 days. The most common symptom is stiffness in the jaw. Other symptoms include restlessness, difficulty in swallowing, irritability, headache, fever, sore throat, chills, and muscle spasms and stiffness in the neck, arrms, and legs.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 30, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy