Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

What's the best thing to do for a smashed finger nail.?
Yesterday at work I smashed my finger and now my nail is turning black, should I cut a hole in the nail to let the blood drain or should I just leave it ...

What should u do if ur finger was slammed on the door (please read on)?
my finger slammed on the car door and now its all black and blue.theres a blood clot on my finger and it hurts really bad.how long does it take to recover and what should i do to make it better....

Have you ever had an MRI?
I have to get one done today, and I'm kinda scared. Can someone explain what it is like to me?...

I am getting my sutures(stitches)removed tomorrro. any advice?
I am nervous and scared. Any advice for me prior to getting them removed. My friend is going to remove them. Anything to help with the pain or scabs?...

If you slam your fingers in the car door is your auto ins supposed to cover it or medical ins?
My mother in law smashed her fingers ion the car door, when she went to the ER to have it looked at the hospital told her that her medical insurance would not cover it and that her auto insurance ...

Last night, I passed out for no reason.... should I be worried?
I was just getting done brushing my teeth, and I had been standing in the bathroom for awhile... all of a sudden, I felt really light-headed. Next thing I know, I'm picking myself up from the ...

Any ideas for a stiff shoulder?
I have a had stiffness in it for about a month and a half. Cant lift it very high hurts to move it. also get neck pains and about a month ago i start getting head aches (on the bottom of the skull) ...

I run about 3.5 miles every other day. My ankles are killing me. What can I do about it?
I used to run track and cross country in High School. I'm 26 now and started running again. My ankles are starting to feel what shin splints feel like. What can I do to prevent this or get rid ...

Possible head injury?
I went skating with my son last weekend,and i fell backwards striking my head really hard on the painted cinderblock walls.I hit it so hard,i saw stars(literally),and was a little dizzy for several ...

Why is it every morning when I wake up my right ankle hurts?
Even on days I don't excercise. When I get up for work my ankle really hurts, than after about an hour it feels ok....

I got a pencil point into my finger, dangerous?
I got a pencil point into my
finger, not so very deep, but
it at least gave the finger a
1-2 cm long trace. I saw something black inside but I think that was some blood thing. I ...

Normal? Its been four weeks since I sprained my ankle, and there is still much pain when I twist it gently.?
It wasnt really that bad of a sprain. Only slight swelling, but hard to walk on without it wrapped up.
But I never went to the doctor and just kept wrapping it up for like 2 weeks. It's ...

What does it mean when hands get numb?

Did you ever get your tongue frozen to a flag pole?

What's the worst injury you ever got?

Cleaning up dried blood...?
When my dad died a month ago, he hit his head very hard and blood was pooled around his body from the wound. I've just now gotten the OK as executor of the will to go in and start cleaning crap ...

How to heal cuts quickly?
A friend of mine has cuts all over her arms and legs, and she has swimming in PE in about 2 weeks. How to heal them before then? Hers are relatively light and shallow. So, any way to heal them?

My arm hurts baDDDD?
ok i have a trampoline and i was jumping on it and i landed wrong and fell on my wrist hard!! if i turn it to the right to far it hurts really baddly and my mom just doesnt care at all and i need ...

My anus just fell out now what do i do?
It happened last night. I was ballet dancing in front of my husband and next thing i know my anus is on the floor. My husband was so disgusted he botulated all over the place. now i'm so deeply ...

Have I sprained my finger?
Earlier I was looking for something in a cupboard and I had my hand on the floor. I knocked a pyrex jug (which is quite heavy) from the second shelf of the cupboard and it fell so the rim hit my ...

Emmy
How can you tell the difference between a slipped disc or just muscle spasms in your back?
The pain started suddendly when I stood up from sitting at my computer. It has been hurting for 3 days now....sometimes sharp pain and sometimes just a dull achy feeling. I never get total relief although Tylenol helps. It hurts at the small of my back and the top of my hip bones on each side.

proudpreemieparents
Rating
I've had both. Let me tell you, I feel your pain!

If you have a slipped disc everything you do will hurt. You may also feel tingling and numbness in your thighs, butt, legs, and toes.

Muscle spasms, on the other hand, just hurt in the region that they are coming from.

I would highly suggest going to a doctor for x-rays (slipped disc or just muscle spasms caused by bone detioration can both be detected this way), muscle relaxant, and pain medication as Ibuprofen doesn't cut it. What I did, the last time I was in pain was take Aleve (an anti-inflammatory) every 4 hours and Tylenol (for pain) eveyr 2 hours as directed by my physician's nurse.

Muscle relaxants, prescribed by your doctor, work wonders, even though they do cause fatigue, until your doctor can figure out what is going on.

letmesurpriseu
Rating
go to the doctor

swissnick
Well, a slipped disc is caused by a wrong pressure distribution in the spine - the slip is actually pushed out of its place putting pressure onto the spinal cord.

Which ever of the two mentioned cases apply, there is a solution: Go for a manual one-time treatment called Atlasprofilax. The effect is simply amazing - your disc will recover completely, and muscle spasms are reduced.

Just - the treatment is available in California and Europe only, costing approx. 220 dollars. It's really worth travelling far.

wancarol
Rating
See a Doctor-have yourself checked out

Jen
Rating
You will need to see your physician for an x-ray and possibly an MRI. The normal course of treatment is diagnostic imaging, anti-inflamatory medication, physical therapy. If all conservative measures fail, then you'll see a spine doc re: surgery. It's not uncommon for them to "wait and see" for a few weeks - but it's important to see your doc just in case.

For me personally, ice helps tremendously with the pain.

LDPRMT
sounds like a strain to me....a disc that is herniated will more then likely impinge on a nerve...giving u referral pain down one leg. mm spasm will usually be alieveated with cool hydotherapy...not heat. disc problems usually arise from an aggressive turning motion or a history of degernative disc disease....not help...see a massage therapist of DC

^Whisper^
I can't say for sure cus I haven't had a slipped disc. I understand it's very painful. I have however had muscle spasms which feel as tho I have been kicked in the back. Spasms aren't usually sharp pain, I don't think. They are more of a dull constant ache. I would suggest a trip to a chiropractor. It could be something as simple as your hips being out and you will experience relief almost immediately. In the meantime over the counter muscle relaxants may help you a little. Hope this helps.

tracy b
i would see a chiropractor. It doesn't sound like a disk. No complaints of burning or numbness down legs. try changing your position frequently if you sit a lot try standing and looking up to help your neck too. Try Motrin it is better for muscle and inflammation

For Your Eyes only
Rating
beware. i dnt want to scare u but in 2002 i had the similar problem . i had a very bad pain , i took pain killer and ignored it . And after a weeks time when i returned from college and got down from my bike , i got stuck ini one place , ie i could barely move . SOMEHOW I WAS taken to hospital. MRI was done n it was found that i had a slip disc. Go to the orth doc immidiately. Or start , on advice , phsio. Are ur legs shaking while coming down stairs. dont ignore body sign. Remember prevention is better then cure or u m ay have to face the music shortly if u dnt act promtly...... its only an advice . doctor will be abale to guide to proper;;y. he will tell u whether or not ur this condition itself is a slip disc. According to me MRI is not useless n is necessary to asses ur condition.

leo
Rating
with a slipped disk (prolapse) you prob would not have been able to even write this email. the vetebral disk would pressurize your back nerves so much that you would most likely have an extreme amount of pain in your back disabeling you from walking and moving around. it could be muscle spasms as well as a nerve that's squeezed in the back = could explain the type of pain you are having.
no matter what: go and see your personal doctor soon, only he can determine the real cause of the pain and start the proper treatment (spasms: muscle relaxant or/and phys. therapy) for a squeezed nerver he'll probably will strech your spine and that's it. a mri is not necessary most of the time, but you never know.
please go and get it checked out.

good luck to you

julius
Rating
First of all if the problem is occuring at work, this may be a work related injury. Talk to your HR department and supervisor. You may want to open a workmen compensation case up. When people work on computers there alot of injuries that can arise for it. I would suggest a ergonomic evaluation to make sure your station is set up properly. Sometimes if the chair is too high or too low or your posture is poor resulting back problems may ensue.

In general, muscle spasm are very similiar to muscle cramps. To tell if you have muscle spasm, lay on your belly and have someone feel both sides of you lower back. Is one side tighter than the other. If so then you are having muscle spasms.

In term of slipped disk, if you did something and your disk slipped you may experience pain in your lower back near your spine. This can occur without compressing a nerve. If it is a large slipped disk and large enough to push on a nerve, then in addition to back pain you will also have radicular symptoms. In other words, you will have pains shooting down you legs or experience leg numbness and or weakness.

Keep in mind, that muscle spasms and slipped disk can occur together. From you description, I suspect that it is mainly muscle spasms. Usually people are doing something fairly exertional when you get a slipped disk.

Go see a doctor. MRI and Xray are COMPLETELY USELESS initially. Start with conservative treatment namely ice you back, NSAIDS like motrin and alleve, physical therapy and ergonomic evaluation. The reason i say mri and xrays are useless initially is because at this stage of the ballgame even if you have a slipped disk conservative management is still the treatment. If you find a slipped disk without pain going down the leg you would not do a cortisone injection and who in there right mind would want to do back surgery without first trying conservative therapy. If conservative therapy works and your back gets better, who cares what the MRI said and it would have be a waste of money to do it. Xrays do not pick up muscle spasms or slipped disk.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy