Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

Is it bad if i get hit in the head everyday?
Well I'm 14 years old and i get hit in the head pretty much everyday. I get hit in the head because my sister hits me every day. And HARD too. She is 16 years old and hits really hard.My mom ...

What is the worst injury you have ever had and how did it happen??
and don't say a broken heart!...

I woke up with a scratch on my arm?
I have no idea why. I have this big gash on my arm and i can't figure out what it's from. I didn't have a dream last night either... and I don't think I scratched myself. Does ...

Is you second toe longer than your first toe?

What is it called? Please help!?
When you brake a leg or legs, and doctor gives you those two things, that you have to walk with, what is it called?
Thanks!...

Do you think you would die if?
you recieved all the injuries you ever sustained at once?...

I hit my face it is now swollen how do i reduce the swollen?
i hit my face it is now swollen how do i reduce the swollen. I am not sure if I can still use some ice bacause this happened over 24 hrs ago. any ideas?...

Can you die from any internal bleeding? this is important..?
My boyfriend went to the doctor the other day because they said that they found protien in his urine and he may have internal bleeding. He went back today and it was positive that he does have ...

What is the worst injury that you have ever suffered and how did you do it??????????????

I got bit by a dog. What are some of the symptoms I might have if the dog has rabies.?

What happens when you swallow a quarter?

Additional Details
For those of you wondering ,it was'nt me, it was my boyfriend,his friend thought it would be funny to put it perfectly on top of his beer bottle,and he ...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH Me!!??
I was in class and we were working on a class play when i was pushed and i hit my head HARD on the cement floor. I went home after that and i feel: REALLY tired, its hard to walk straight and, i am ...

Finger help!?
This Friday, I had got my right middle and ring fingers caught in the part of the garage door that bends, I got it treated immeadeatly, but I still have little little purple-ish pink marks on my ...

My bruise doesn't hurt!!!?
I have a bruise on the very bottom of my thumb and it doesn't hurt at all! I touch it and even rub it but it doesn't hurt. And yes it's a bruise because it's purple....

Whats wrong with me??sick?
jan 2nd my throat started acting up, it only hurt on my left side to swallow. i managed the pain and would spray cepacol and take ibuprofen then i would feel better.got but on jan 4th it got worse. ...

I have a small burn on my leg from a motorbike exhaust pipe which has now blistered.should i pop the blister ?

Red Srcatches on my husband's back. He said he got those from working out or he cheated on me? Please help!
Hi,

This happened last night that I happened to see scratches on my husband's back (I did take 3 pictures of the scratches). The moment I saw those red scratches on his back, I was ...

Don't say I'm stupid........?
because I really want to break my arm! I've got a perfectly good reason to but I can't say why!!! Could someone please give me an idea?!!...

How come people don't type the full word?
What I mean is; people using the shortcuts of words/phrases. For example, u, lol, ppl any1, r etc. I just want to know why people are lazy when they type.
Additional Details
I put it in ...

Oh my God, I'm in my office. Someone just walked in with a gun and shot Ms. Stephenson the recptionist?
OH God what should I do, he's killing everyone OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME. I have a Beretta in my drawer. Should I risk going out there?
Additional Details
I killed him. I actually ...

ganbrightar1
Has anyone heard of a hospital not wrapping broken ribs?
June of 2006 I fell off a roof and broke my right shoulder, left arm resulting in surgery and multiable broken ribs. Salina Regional Health, a hospital in Salina, Ks never wrapped or administered any type of first aid to my Ribs. I have never healed from that injury. I now don't have insurance do to a divorce. I thought a rib belt or at least a ace bandage should have been protocall.

angel
you cant wrap broken ribs , they have to heal on there own. you can try rotating hot and cold packs and see if that works .

windriver
Rating
use to be the norm on broken ribs but a lot of times now they say its better to let them heal naturally. however it would depend on how bad they were broken.

goddessjessie2007
alot of hospitals don't.

Why because when ribs are wrapped they put pressure on the ribs and if you cough it can cause the rib or ribs to stab you in the lung. then you have a more serious problem in which you can die from. I personally would rather have them un wrapped.
At least this is what my grandma told me.

sunshine 69
Rating
The hospitals do not wrap ribs anymore because the doctors found that wrapping the ribs tight in a bandage actually causes the ribs to heal improperly. They found that just leaving the ribs alone allows the bones to fuse together better

MARY M.H
YES YEARS HAVE GONE BY SINCE THEY WRAPPED RIBS THEY EXPECT THE RIBS TO HEAL ON THEIR OWN, AS MY FRIEND HAD SOME BROKEN RIBS 5 YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE NOT WRAPPED EITHER .HAMTRAMCKMA@HOTMAIL.COM

santosh5002003
Rating
thats for pain releif

victor98_2001
Rating
Yes, I was the one didn't wrapped my broken clavicle bone on right hand shoulder,cost me at $300.00 for doctor consultations,lucky at my young aged ,I have bought health and hospital's insurances,hospital charged at $5000.00 for surgury,without putting pain killer medicines,because I was wake up during surgury that I knew the pains.

prettipoisonme
Rating
DON'T THINK THEY DO.

Noota Oolah
Rating
ribs rarely get wrapped. It it is to tight or depending on the position of the break it can do more harm than good to wrap them. Remember that puts extra pressure on them each and every time you breathe. Usually its just recommended to use lots of pillows and rest. Though protocol from one place to another varies greatly. There are many justified opinions on how to deal with broken ribs.

Also it depends on if it were a complete or partial fracture.

Wutz it worth 2 ya?
Rating
My Uncle got hurt recently and was rushed to the hospital. He has 2 broken ribs and a fractured one, and they didn't wrap him either. This happened in Frederick County, Maryland.
Sorry to hear about your accident, but your lucky that's all you broke. Rest as much as you can and get well soon. Good luck.

babydragonspawn
I've broken and separated my ribs many many times, they've never raped them or administered any type of first aid to them. They just give me something for the pain. Now I don't even bother going to the Dr. for it, no point and a waste of my money. Mine always heal within a matter of a week or so, If yours haven't healed in a year then there is something else wrong and you should really bite the bullet and see a Dr.

carl j
Rating
I had my ribs broke twice. I think. Once by a car in a hit and run, the other by a group of people kicking the sh^t out of me, both times, I never had my ribs wrapped. They take a long time to heal. I have a bump on one of my ribs were it mended. If I get hit in that excate spot, it hurts more but yet, it seems stronger. Hang in there and don't fall off any more roofs.

fatdadslim
depends how badly they were broken,sometime they will rejoin just with a sling

versantly
i suspect that the type of care the ER gave you included an xray, check of oxygen saturation, lung sounds, and exam of the affected area. my guess is that the treatment you were given included treatment for pain, a work note, and instructions on follow up care which included a visit to your doctor. the question is did you take care of yourself??

b_rent2003
i broke one of my ribs when i was 14, basically theres nothing you can do about it other than take it easy. its possible to mess up the healing process if you wrap them.

Sparkles
I busted two ribs while water skiing. No, they did not wrap them. It hurt like he11 for 6 weeks because I could barely breathe. But, like the nurse said, it was to keep me from getting pneumonia.

AnswerGuy
Depending on which rib(s) were broken, its typical to put the arm of the affected side in a sling to ensure proper alignment and isolation of the involved muscles and connective tissues, to prevent re-injury and longer healing times. Wrapping is not done anymore as others have indicated.

brainsandcute2
I have broken my ribs many times. One time they were wrapped and I developed pneumonia. The last three times, they have not been wrapped and I have healed w/o pneumonia. It takes a long time for them to heal, and it is painful.

KELLY
Had a broken rib myself. The hospital said they no longer wrap because you can get pnemonia and it doesn't aid in healing anyway. Took forever to heal.

rougerocker
Rating
Yes, I broke three some time ago and expected just that. Th Dr. said that they no longer treat broken ribs like that because the restraint sometimes hinders more than helps.

Mopar Muscle Gal
Ribs are not longer taped or wrapped due to the constricture of the lung capacity {with this type of old fashioned treatment} which in turn can cause pneumonia

CherryRed
Rating
I know that here in Canada they don not tape ribs anymore. and the reason is that the tape can jab sharp peices of bone into places that can cause serious harm. unfortunatley there is nothing that can really be done for broken ribs other than to let them heal. I know that its painful as I have broken several ribs myself and now have arthritis in them, But I would rather have that than a peirced lung

charliecizarny
Rating
Wrapping broken ribs does absolutely nothing except to ease the pain a little. Doctors don't wrap them because it restricts breathing.

Lucifer J Satan
Rating
I've broken a couple and they haven't wrapped ribs for a long time. I broke the bottom 2 on the right side and they took well over a year for the pain to completely go away.

missylit
Wrapping fractured ribs is no longer recommended. If you are wrapped, you are less likely to take full, deep breaths, and run the risk of developing pneumonia.

Candy Noel
When I broke my rib they could do nothing. Yes I have heard of NOT wrapping broken ribs.

Me
Ribs are no longer wrapped. Wrapping ribs can lead to pneumonia, because it prevents you from completely filling your lungs. If you haven't healed yet, then you're probably re-injuring it. Wrapping won't help with that, either.

kyralan
Rating
Absolutely. Both my mother & my fiance have had broken ribs & in neither case were they wrapped. Wrapping them does nothing to aid in healing.

Theresa M
Rating
ribs are not wrapped anymore, and can take a very long time to heal.

punkin_eater26
Wrapping ribs has been proven to lead to worse things nowadays. My father in law broke a few of them 2 years ago and wasn't wrapped. It was a good 3 months before he felt better, yet still sore.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, March 22, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy