Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

How to relieve soreness?
I started training to be a caddy on 4/5/08 and on the second week of training we had to run and ever since then my legs have been very very sore...and now every time we have to run i'm always ...

Do you think I've dislocated my shoulder?
Alright, so in gym the other day, I was playing handball. I jumped into the air to block a pass, but the kid who was meant to recieve it jumped as well, and I smashed my shoulder into his chest. I ...

Help me decide?
i'm chris..i just had my ankle sprained and there's no way i can walk on it....it hurts really really bad....the problem is that tommorow i'm having a birthday party with many friends ...

Have you ever dislocated your shoulder?
How long did it take to heal?
How did you do it?...

Did i sprain my ankle or fracture my foot?
I was walking down the stairs when my friend yelled my name and surprised me. This caused me to land on my foot funny in a way that bent my ankle 90 degrees toward the left. This morning I can move ...

Has anyone ever had their foot ran over by a car?
I was crossing the road today and all of the sudden this crazy driver raced out of no where almost running over my foot!! my feet was only an inch away from his car wheels!! i was so upset that he ...

Old injury?
i had a car accident in 2004 it was pretty bad. i did get some slight neck pain on my left side. i didn't go to the hospital cuz it wasn't nothing. but suddenly for the past day and a ...

What does a skull fracture feel like?
I fell like 4 feet through a bush and hurt my head alittle on wood chips. The spot feels alittle sore, only when I touch it. What are other symptoms of head trauma?...

I hurt my knee i need help please?
i was playing soccer and i jump to try to head the ball and i landed on my left leg and i felt my knee wanted to pop but it didn't!! now i walk and is weak and it hurts, when walking it kind of ...

Mom of 7 gramma of 1
HELP ME! I broke my foot and I have 3 young children! I need ideas on how to function w/ non weight bearing
I am in a non weight bearing R leg cast. I can't even drive. I have a 3, 4, and 7 year old to take care of! I need to find out what sort of gadgets are out there to help me ie; how to get a drink from the counter to the table, how I get anything from point A to point B. How to pic something up off the floor....the very SIMPLEST of tasks. There must be things out there to aid handicapped ppl with daily things. I just got the cast on yesterday and I'm allready overwhelmed and I've only been awake for 2 hours. I had to empty the dishwasher and it took forever etc. Please help me with your knowledge or experience or maybe suggest websites that can. HUGE THANKYOUS!!

beckerton12
Rating
check out this website... http://www.ocelco.com/products/aids-to-daily-living_c18/

or if you wanna look around more just google durable medical equipment.... or have to Dr hook up up with an OT appointment and they will really help. hope it heals good!

pandora the cat
Rating
You know those commercials on tv about "let us help you get your Electronic Mobility Chair" and the elderly floks singing "you made me love you.."? Maybe you can strike up a deal with one of those companies to borrow one while you recover. If you go to a hopstial supply store, you might be able to find a "reach" device which resembles a 'claw' on a pole, or a pole with a pliers-end and a trigger near the handle you hold it with. They make them for people in wheelchairs so they can reach stuff. You have 3 kids, and you can definitely enlist their help, since most kids will do anything to please their parents. If all else fails, see if your insurance covers some home care worker to swing by your home for an hour or two each day to help you keep up the home.

Gypsy Girl
Rating
I know that it is the mom's job to take care of the kids, but sometimes you have to ask your kids for help. The 7 year old can bring the glasses from the dish washer to where you are standing to put them in the cabinet. The 7 year old can also carry a 3/4 full glass from the counter to the table as well as other things that you may not be able to put into a bag. The younger ones will probably be happy to pick things up off the floor and hand them to you. I'm sure your kids love you very much and will be happy to do what you ask of them. You just have to ask.

An alternative is to hire a mother's helper for the next few weeks. Maybe a teenager or college kid to help you.

machamp_alex
Rating
they have electronic chairs you can use.

justagrandma
Rating
I was in a non weight bearing cast for 4 months and I remember how tough it was. Truthfully, if you can find a daytime caregiver, thorough your church or other organization, then please do so, if there is a social services group or even PTA who can help you or family then that's where you try . Of course if you can afford it, not likely with three kids, but if you can, get a day nurse. I used a rolling tea cart for some things, and since I'm short I have one of those reaching sticks they used to use to get things off the top shelf in stores. I got mine though www.home improvements.com but that was a while back. That can be used not only to reach, but to pick up things as well.
I wish I could say something more useful, but for most of those months I felt pretty useless as I was instructed to keep the leg up as much as possible, and when I let it down too long it got to feeling quite heavy and painful. This is a case where as much help as you can get in shifts is the best way to do it.

ChemGeek
Rating
You say:

Hey 7 year old, go grab that drink off the counter for me.

Hey 7 year old, toss this into the trash please.

Hey 4 year old, pick up these toys and put them away.

wynterwood
Rating
Hi, I broke my ankle and leg a couple of years ago, so I totally understand. I did a lot using a high wheeled stool in the kitchen, could zip from end to end, sit on it to do dishes, get to the phone, etc. It helped a lot. I kept a sling bag of essentials on me, like portable phone, water bottle, and what ever so I didn't have to get up all the time to do things. Lower wheeled stools in the living room let you take care of the kids, do light cleaning and go to the door without walking. If you have a wheeled office type chair or spinning stool, it will make your life a lot easier! One that raises and lowers height is the best. You can move it across the floor with the good foot, and rest the hurt one.

AJ
You could always look into getting a wheelchair. It may be difficult to unload the dishwasher to put them away, but you will not have to put any weight onto your foot. Just a suggestion.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy