Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Injuries
Health Discussion Forum

Doe anyone have an explanation of why i have developed numbness in my right thigh together with hair loss?
around the area .had this for ages but seems to be getting worse over last two ...

Can you go deaf from having your top ear peirced?
i heard that you can and im concerned!

any information would be great!

T...

Finger swollen and bruised, broken?
My pinky is swolen and purple, it got bent backwords really hard. Is it sprained, fractured, or broken?...

If you're broken your ribs, will it be REALLY painful and not be able to breathe properly?
Only answer this if you have broken your ribs before or you are a doctor. =]...

Can someone tell me what i did to my knee?
ever since the fourth of july my knee has been hurting because i fell on it, know it hurts sometimes, especially ( jumping, skateboarding, kicking, bending it on one foot) sometimes i can ...

Does the neck normally break when someone is hanged?

I knocked somebody out at a party intoxicated. How much at fault am I???
@ a party Sat., one of my roommate’s friends challenged anyone to box him in the living room. There was only 1 set of gloves, so we had to share them. We were both very intoxicated. Someone put the ...

Does marijuana smoke slow the bone healing process?
I broke my ankle on May 13th. Had to get surgery and all that jazz, and am still not able to walk on it yet. My doctor said no smoking because it slows bone healing, and I am assuming that he meant ...

Will pepper spray leave you blind?
i mean if you leave it in long??...

I'm 32 years old and I cracked a rib in a fight. How long is it likely to take before it heals?

I broke my leg and i dont want to tell my mom. Where can i buy a cheap cast and crutches or a wheelchair?
Yes i no its broken because my uncle used to be a docter and told me it was....

Top of ear piercing, gone wrong?! Help and suggestions please..?
Had the top of my ear pierced a couple of months ago, it never really felt right and it didnt feel as if it ever heeled.. Then the other night in bed it was really hurting, so i took it out and now ...

What is the best thing to do for sore muscles?
i've been going to 3 hour volley ball practices every night. and we do lots of conditioning and weight lifting. i am very sore. to the point where its a sharp pain when i got to use these ...

I got toothache... do you know any quick home remedies i can try ?

Will i be able to get surgery tomorrow if i am not feeling good?
I think my allergies are kicking in and my sinuses are really backed up right now. Also i have a really bad headache. Will the doctors post pone the surgery i have tomorrow?

If it helps i ...

I fell off my horse today and i landed pretty badly?
i landed on just below my knees and they have both swelled up pretty badly now. its been 5 hours since i fell and the swelling hasnt gone down!

what do i do????
Additional Details...

Is it bad to cut the dead, blisterd skin off a 2nd degree burn..after it healed for a few days first?
I recently recieved some 2nd degree burns. (heat burns, not chemical or electrical) They blistered up really badly. After about a week of healing I decided to cut the dead skin off half of them so I ...

Fatal Accident: Survival Chances?
A 19 yr old colleague in work, was involved in a road accident, he was knocked over by speeding motorist, seamingly in a people carrier, late fri night

From his injuries, what are his ...

Leg Hurts please help.?
So my friend bet me that I wouldn't jump off the roof and I did. The landing didn't huirt so much originally but my leg has this huge bump on it and it is purple and really hurts espicially ...

Can everyone pray for my dad?
You see, he has surgery on his knee and he's had a record of what kills most americans, blood clots in his lungs, anyway his knee is hurting him terribly and i need everyone to pray for him ...

Dancing Queen Noa
Do people always surely DIE if they break their neck? How come...?!? Any doctor or physician to explain..?
I once heard a news that a woman survived after she accidentally broke her neck by falling from her own roof... I didn't get it, how come?!?

Well, any doctor or physician to explain what's actually happening inside our very own body when we break our very own neck? Why do in most cases, people instantenously just die?!? And why do in (very) few cases, some people can survive and don't die?!?

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm a fighter, so I must know stuffs like this. Never know when it will come in handy! ;)
Additional Details
Well, please explain to me as plain and as simple as possible...
I'm just an ordinary girl without medical background :( ... please...?

lilmeemo
i have a friend who broke his neck and hes actually fine, he didnt sever the spinal cord, i think you have to sever the spinal cord higher up to die, if you dont have anything conecting your brain function to the rest of your body then your voluntary adn involuntary organs wont work on their own

Hibiscus.Beauty
Rating
idk but it sure sounds painful

diogenese19348
Not a doctor, but I can give you an answer to that.

When you are talking "breaking your neck" you are talking about breaking the spinal column, the bones running down your back that contain your spinal chord.

The spinal chord is a bunch of nerve cells that controls all the organs in your body. If they are broken at the neck, it means nothing works anymore, not your lungs, not arms, not your legs, and most importantly, not your heart.

That is why breaking your neck is commonly fatal. If the spinal chord gets broken further down, then any nerves that have already branched off are not affected. So if you break your back, it may only be your legs that don't work.

-Dio

trump
Rating
you can die from a broken neck, HOWEVER, my cousin was in a car crash and broke his neck and is still living and is not paralyzed

sweetneats
Rating
Because the spinal cord didn't break. But the surrounding bone itself did, or it just fractured.

jennyedoll
Rating
ya, that's how quadraplegics often become so.

Confused
I think you have to tear or sever the spinal cord in order for that to be fatal. But I'm not sure...

Shangri-La
Rating
no doctor here... but I'll try... most autonomic functions are carried/located on the base of the brain (maybe just below the skull), give a good whack at that part and the person can go unconscious.

break your neck you can get spinal cord injury, its not the brain itself, but you can get paralyzed.

Pegasus90
Rating
Hi,

I am not a doctor, but I know the answer to the question. Our necks and spines are made up of bones (duh), but bones can break in different ways. A broken neck is fatal if the spinal cord is ruptured beyond repair as a result. This is why Christopher Reeve survived. His spinal cord was damaged but was repairable.

eaglesun
Rating
Because the spinal cord and other vessels are located in a channel inside the spine, surrounded and protected by the vertebrae. If you "break your neck" and it results in the type of fracture in which one or more vertebrae (bone of spine and neck) sever the vessels leading to the brain, it can be fatal.

good4u
Rating
Yes,because the all important nerves ll be cut of immidiately,most imporatnt is phrenic nerve which supply diaphragm,without which inspiration of air in the lung is not possible.

Brianne
Rating
Yes you can survive a minor neck fracture, you need a severe or just in the right place fracture to be fatal.

Gail
Not everyone dies of a broken neck, depends if they can fix it/ If the spine is completly broke and the nerves to your brain arnt messed up then they can live.

Doctor J
Rating
Hi Noa. I'll try to dance my way into your heart with the 'doctor's answer'.

Two 'conditions' must occur in a cervical (neck) fracture for it to cause death. First, the fracture must cause significant damage to the spinal cord. Many fractures do not cause this type of damage (e.g. mild anterior compression fractures, fractures of a transverse process or the spinous process, etc.) Secondly, if there is a fracture that damages the spinal cord, the injury must be high enough in the neck to affect the Phrenic Nerve. Doctors learn in neurology class that "C3, C4, C5 (the three spinal levels of the Phrenic Nerve) keeps the diaphragm alive!". So, if the cord is seriously damaged at or above C5 (the fifth of seven neck bones) the Phrenic nerve function will be 'lost'. Loss of this nerve's function causes paralysis of the diaphragm which is the primary muscle for breathing. The tragic consequence is rapid suffocation.

So, if a broken neck is severe enough and occurs at or above the 5th cervical vertebra, it can cause paralysis and suffocation.

Hope this helps you better understand this issue.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy