Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Infectious Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

STREP THROAT...help?
i think i'm gettin it
my b/f had it and was getting over it and we were kissing and drinkin after each other
its 2 days later and my throat and ear is starting to hurt...
will it ...

My girl has just come home from school with worms ????
Hi my little girl has come home from school today with worms .. i noted a few probs a few days ago with her.. sent my hubby off to the chemist for some treatment and advice and should i notify the ...

My daughter has just caught Chicken Pox , the spots started on Friday?
She is three years old any one got any good advice/tips please....

What makes HIV so deadly?

Poor hubby has man flu, will he survive the night?

Additional Details
More importantly will I survive it?...

Wo had had the chicken pox?

If the dead start attacking the living what course of action should people take?
http://www.node666.org/...

Do I have pink eye?
Two weeks ago I started to have a pain in my left eye, and as days pass the pain became more severe. I felt like I had something in my eye, and it bothered me a lot. Then I notice a strange growth on ...

Can I get chicken pox again?
I had this when I was a kid, but now my 3 year old daughter has got them?
Can I catch them again off her?
If so, am I more immune having had them before?...

What liver virus wasn’t identified until Baruch Blumberg isolated the Australian antigen in 1963?

Quite embarassing but does anybody know what this might be?
Recently I've noticed my anus is itchy especially during the night, when i wake up due to it. I have sudden urges to go to the toilet for a poo and when I pass a stool I have seen quite a few ...

Is it safe to kiss a dead body?Can you get an infection?Have you kissed a dead body and become sick?
It has been 3 mths since I kissed mom goodbye the day after she left me,and I have been getting sicker everyday!...

I have a cold..whats wrong with me?
im 14 year old teenage boy.
Ive got a torch and looked into the back of my mouth using a mirror and i have like..white dots at the back of my throat and the back is all swollen and red. Also it&#...

Can I really catch a cold by being in the cold?
My parents and grandma seem to believe this....

If someone gets cold sores, does that mean, that they have herpes?

Should I go to work with Strep Throat?
I tested positive for strep, and the Dr said it was up to me whether to go to work or not. I work as a cashier at a local grocery store. The reason I am concerned is because I called out on Sat, ...

Anyway to get over sore throat?
Possibly could even be strep throat, but its not as bad today..its died down a little. Anyway to get over this a do-it-yourself way? (home remedies)...

What can help to build up your immune system?

What do you call a Disease that can be passed from Person to person?
I.e. Aids or Flu.

Also, what do you call one that can not be passed from person to person - such as Cancer....

Strep Throat?? Please answer?
I get strep throat pretty often, but I don't remember my throat ever hurting this bad. It hurts to drink water. I can't eat anything because it hurts to bad. Would this be strep throat ...

BroadwayGurl
Is lyme disease fatal?

olivemai
Rating
Sometimes it is, treated or not! That is why it is a good idea for people with compromised immune systems to stay indoors at certain times and also, to wear long sleeve shirts and pants when they do go out! Wearing insect repellent is also a good idea, try to buy it from a health store.

Knight03245
Rating
can be if untreated :-(

Flavorade
Rating
ask any deer

megp
YES-It can be if it is not treated properly

Jackie H
Rating
Yes, it can be fatal and you become very sick for a long time. I live in MASS and you can get it from a mosquito bite.

mayday........okeyyay!!!!
Rating
dont know for sure but our youth pastor got real sick form it but was fine within a week

Teddy's Mom
Rating
Left unteated it can be.

Del A
It can be if not treated.

jleiby101
Rating
Sometimes. It matters how long you wait to try to stop it.

The Markster
Rating
Having suffered from a late stage neurological Lyme infection for 8 months before I managed to recover, I can tell you that although it is rare, it's WHERE the Lyme triggers problems that best indicates if there is a possibility of death.
Some Lyme infections only affect the person's joints. And although the discomfort & disability it can cause can be devastating, the more dangerous scenarios involve inflammation around the heart &/or involvement of the central nervous system. This CAN prove fatal, if not promptly attended to.
Unfortunately, the biggest killer when it comes to 'chronic' Lyme is suicide, usually over despair & hopelesness over one's situation. But if one is under proper treatment for this disseminated or "late-stage" Lyme, nearly all make a total or nearly total recovery. It just takes TIME (6 -12 mo.s, on average, of hi-level abx for an "uncomplicated" case of the disease, acc to ILADS). Emotional & nutritive support are very helpful here.
As for early stage (localized) Lyme, just 4-6 weeks of a medium level abx & one can be essentially cured & never have to be concerned about it again. Hence the importance in diagnosing it early.

Garnet Glitter
Rating
Yes, if left untreated. The bacteria may lay dormant in the body but when it 'returns' you can end up with joint,neurological issues, heart damage......

....treatment/cure is easy but you must get diagnosed and treated as soon as possible....I was one of the lucky ones.....I developed the 'bull's eye rash approx 1-2 weeks after exposure while the bacteria was still in my bloodstream and hadn't had time to settle anywhere...a three week course of antibiotics (oral) and I was cured......
..but since I wasn't aware I had been bitten by a tick, the rash was a life-saver..I had a co-worker who didn't know she had been exposed and never developed any tell-tale symptoms until many years later when she developed facial palsy among other medical issues....

paulcondo
Rating
sure is

Matthew W
Rating
No! No one here knows the disease. There are three stages. If you have all the symptoms by that time you'll see a clinician and it'll get diagnosed. You won't die.

~*MissCyran*~
Rating
not if you catch it early. if you catch it early then you just take an antibiotic. but if you wait tooo long then you can become paralyzed. i dont mean to scare you if you have lymes disease, but even if you take medication, lymes disease is with you forever. like you could have flare ups and feel achy for a day.

jillybird
Rating
Not if treated quickly.

Ami
If no treated right away. But it does leave you sick for the rest of your life.

tkf57
hmmmm not sure dont think so but it can be quite disruptive - remember that case some time ago on the news? the girl was bitten on her leg and didnt go to the doc for many months and it did get very nasty, though not fatal - best check it out with gp

Kevin
Rating
I believe you can live with it, my dog does. It's made him more lethargic though and I think it's contributing to some of his joint problems.

lucee
It can be. It certainly causes years of pain, suffering and treatment for someone infected with lyme disease. I have friends who moved back to my home town to get away from Connecticut after their teenage son was bitten by an infected tick. It cost the boy two years of pain, almost cost his life and cost the family thousands of dollars in medical treatment.
Read more about it:
http://www.lymenet.org/

Lala
I would say that you would first have to get some facts and according to the facts it is not also i have provided you some facts on this Disease:

What is Lyme disease?
Lyme disease is an illness caused by the bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi, which can be spread through the bite of certain types of ticks. Lyme disease in humans can have serious symptoms but can be effectively treated. Cases of Lyme disease have been reported in parts of Europe, Asia, and throughout much of North America.

How do people get Lyme disease?
The bacterium that causes Lyme disease is normally carried in mice, squirrels, birds and other small animals. This bacterium is transmitted to ticks when they feed on these infected animals and then to humans through the bites of the infected ticks. In British Columbia, the western blacklegged tick transmits Lyme disease while in other parts of Canada, the disease is spread by the blacklegged tick, sometimescalled the deer tick. Lyme disease is not transmitted directly from person-to-person by means such as touching or kissing. Although dogs and cats can contract Lyme disease, there is no evidence that they can transmit the infection directly to humans. Pets can, however, carry infected ticks into your home or yard. Deer hunting may increase exposure to ticks due to the need to track through high grass and brush areas. However, Lyme disease cannot be contracted from eating deer.

What are ticks?
Though closely related to insects, ticks are actually a type of mite. Ticks vary in size and colour; blacklegged ticks are very small. Before feeding, adult females are approximately 3-5 mm in length and red and dark brown in colour; following a blood-meal, females can be as large as a grape. In the pre-adult stages, young ticks are smaller and lighter in colour, when unfed. Ticks are usually picked up when brushing against vegetation and once on bare skin they attach by their mouth parts.

There are established populations of the tick that transmits Lyme disease in Canada. Though western blackleggedticks are widely distributed in British Columbia, populations are largest in the lower mainland, on Vancouver Island and in the Fraser Valley. Established populations of blacklegged ticks, on the other hand, have been found in southern and eastern Ontario, southeastern Manitoba and parts of Nova Scotia.

Research has shown that blacklegged ticks can be found in all areas of Canada, even where tick populations have not been previously identified. It is presumed that these ticks are introduced into these areas by migratory birds. About 10% of these ticks are infected with the Lyme disease agent. While it is possible to be bitten by an infected tick anywhere in Canada, the chances of this occurring are considered low in areas where populations are not established.

What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?
The symptoms of Lyme disease are often described in three stages, although not all patients have symptoms of each stage. The first sign of infection is usually a circular rash called erythema migrans or EM. This rash occurs in about 70-80% of infected persons and begins at the site of the tick bite after a delay of three days to one month. Patients often also experience symptoms such as:

fatigue
chills
fever
headache
muscle and joint pain
swollen lymph nodes.
If the infection goes untreated, the second stage of the disease can last up to several months with possible symptoms including:

central and peripheral nervous system disorders
multiple skin rashes
arthritis and arthritic symptoms
heart palpitations
Extreme fatigue and general weakness
If the infection continues to go untreated, the third stage of the disease can last months to years with possible symptoms including, chronic arthritis and neurological symptoms. If contracted during pregnancy, adverse effects on the fetus, including stillbirth, can occur.

Fatalities from Lyme disease are rare. However, undiagnosed Lyme disease may develop into chronic disease that may be difficult to treat.

How is Lyme disease diagnosed?
The diagnosis of Lyme disease should be made after evaluation of a patient's symptoms and the risk of exposure to infected ticks. Blood tests may be administered in conjunction with clinical diagnosis to demonstrate the presence of antibodies to the bacteria.

It should be stressed that the results of blood tests cannot be interpreted in the absence of appropriate clinical information (i.e., symptoms of infection). The Public Health Agency of Canada recommends the two-tiered approach for blood testing (i.e., screening blood samples with one test and continued testing only on samples that test positive for Lyme disease) and cautions against the use of invalidated tests or interpretation of results without appropriate guidelines. Blood tests may be negative in patients with early Lyme disease or in patients who have had antibiotic treatment. However, the accuracy of blood tests becomes more reliable as the infection progresses.

What is the treatment for Lyme disease?
Although Lyme disease can have serious symptoms, several antibiotics are available to treat the illness. Lyme disease is more effectively treated if diagnosed early in the course of illness. Most cases of Lyme disease can be cured with a 2-4 weeks of treatment with doxycycline, amoxicillin, or ceftriaxone. Persons with certain neurological or cardiac forms of illness may require intravenous treatment with penicillin or ceftriaxone. Patients diagnosed in the later stages of the disease can have persistent or recurrent symptoms requiring a longer course of antibiotic treatment. Treatment failure has been reported, requiring patients be retreated; the risk of treatment failure is greater in patients with long-term Lyme infection.

What precautions should you take to avoid Lyme disease?
In areas where ticks are found, individuals should know about the risk of Lyme disease and should take precautions to protect themselves.

Find out from your local public health office if there are ticks in your area, especially blacklegged ticks.

Wear protective clothing to limit the access of ticks to your skin. This clothing should include enclosed shoes, long-sleeved shirts that fit tightly around the wrist and are tucked into pants, and long-legged pants tucked into socks or boots. Light coloured clothing helps to be able to spot ticks.

Insect repellents containing DEET are safe and can effectively repel ticks. Repellents can be applied to clothing as well as exposed skin but should not be applied to skin underneath clothing (note: DEET may damage some materials). Always read and follow label directions.

Check for ticks on clothing and skin after being in tick-infested areas. A daily total-body inspection and prompt removal of attached ticks (i.e., within 18 to 24 hours) can reduce the risk of infection. Blacklegged ticks are very small, particularly at the nymphal stage, be sure to look carefully. Do not forget to check children and pets as well.

Carefully remove attached ticks using tweezers. Grasp the tick's head and mouth parts as close to the skin as possible and pull slowly until the tick is removed. Do not twist or rotate the tick and try not to damage the tick (i.e., squash or crush it) during removal.

After removing ticks, wash the site of attachment with soap and water or disinfect it with alcohol or household antiseptic. Note the day of the tick bite and try to save the tick in an empty pill vial or doubled zip-lock bag.

Contact a doctor immediately if you develop symptoms of Lyme disease, especially when you have been in an area where blacklegged ticks are found. If you have saved the tick, take it with you to the doctor's office.

How prevalent is human Lyme disease in Canada?
Lyme disease is not a nationally reportable disease in Canada. The Public Health Agency of Canada surveys the provinces and territories to assess the number of cases and distribution of Lyme disease in Canada. This survey would not be expected to capture all of the cases of Lyme disease that occur in Canada, particularly cases of early Lyme disease. The data collected indicates considerable variation in reported human cases from year to year, which makes it difficult to identify specific trends.

The risk for exposure to the disease is highest in a small number of regions where the ticks that transmit Lyme disease are known to be established including parts of southern and eastern Ontario, southeastern Manitoba and Nova Scotia as well as much of southern British Columbia. Surveillance data indicates a small number of blacklegged ticks are introduced into widely separated areas of Canada by migratory birds, posing some risk that individuals in other areas may also be exposed to infected ticks.

Although rarer than Lyme disease, there are other infections that can also be contracted from blacklegged ticks. These include Anaplasma phagocytophilum, the agent of human granulocytic anaplasmosis; Babesia microti, the agent of human babesiosis and Powassan encephalitis virus. The precautions outlined above will also help to protect individuals from these infections.

What is the Government of Canada doing to address Lyme disease?
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) is currently funding a health research project on Lyme disease. Funding of $820,000 over five years has been provided to study the properties of the tick. This health research project will lead to further understanding of the pathogen causing Lyme disease.

Public Health Agency of Canada scientists continue to collaborate in studying the occurrence of tick populations in Canada. These studies have demonstrated the low-risk of encountering ticks infected with the Lyme disease agent in most of Canada. Many of these findings have been published and reported at scientific meetings to help increase awareness of the potential for Lyme disease to occur in Canada.

In addition, Public Health Agency of Canada scientists are currently researching the potential impacts of climate change on the distribution of the ticks that carry Lyme disease. This research will contribute to our understanding of the occurrence of the disease.

I hope that this was of great help to you.

Dekayel
Good sources of info about Lyme disease:
http://www.canlyme.com
http://www.lymenet.com
http://www.lymeinfo.net
http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org
http://www.ilads.org
http://www.betterhealthguy.com
http://www.publichealthalert.com
http://www.freewebs.com/teenswithlyme

Baphomet L
It's awful.

teri
Rating
It is not fatal, but you never completely get rid of it.

Ouray
Though rare, Lyme disease can be fatal.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, October 23, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy