Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Infectious Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Can adults get lice?

The most effective way to prevent the spread of disease is?
A. wearing latex gloves
B. washing your hands
C. using a mask
D. applying antibacterial ...

What is the white blood cells' role in fighting disease?

How do I get rid of my cold? Its been over a week!?
I've tried medication, healthy diet and rest. After a week, I'm STILL sick! what else should I try?...

What is a CBC? Does a CBC have anything to do with HIV?

Additional Details
what are the common results that come with a cbc? for example is 12.1 a result of a cbc? if so is that good?...

Please help me?
I got assessment to do.....there is question.....research 3 bacterial and 3 viral infection and give a brief description.

plz would u like to help me.....i tried my best.......but i cant ...

AIDS Cure from India . I visited www.babucure.com Hon.President Of India confirms AIDS is Curable !!!!!!!!!!?
Mr. Babubhai Thakkar has written to Hon. President of India , Hon. Chief Minister of Gujarat, Hon. Chief Miniter of Andhra Pradesh and all other concern authorities Including Gujarat State AIDS C...

I have the flu. How can I get better quick?
So, I just started my new job, and go figure, I call in sick the second shift because my dog got put down, but they understood. Now today, only a few days later, I called in sick again due to a flu, ...

AIDS!! Avoid night clubs?
Well, my groupmate told me the terrible things. One guy, he went to the club and on returning home he had found the note in his pocket. He read it: Congratulations!! You have now the AIDS virus.

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with Mono yesterday, how long should she stay out of school?
about 4 weeks ago she was diagnosed with Strep Throat, she was taking Penecillin x 10 days, after that she started with high fever and sore throat again, along with vomiting. She was hospitalized for ...

Swollen Throat Infection?
i've been having this throat infection for 5 days now and i've seen a doctor. he prescribed me this antibiotics called "amoxicillin/clav (curam)" and throat inflamation pills ...

My eye is excreting a lot of pus. I had a bad cold all week probably the flu?
The pus is like a mix between sleepy and bugers. and it is a yellow color. My eye hurts. What is the problem and how serious is this? I don't want answers that only say "go to a doctor"...

How long am I contagious? I have a bacterial infection in my lungs, sinuses, larynx, and ears. Read for more
The symptoms started yesterday (10/16/06) and I was in the ER. I have a class that's only 8 weeks long and the final class is this Friday. I'm supposed to be giving a 10 minute power ...

What can I give to my six year old daughter who has a sore throat?
She woke up this morning with one and I want to stop it before it progresses into a full blown cold. help please....

Non-promiscous & never been a drug user. Recently contracted hepatitis c & very scared any advice ?
I feel depressed, discouraged, angry, confused.....etc !!...

My question if any doctors are online.How long should i wait before doing anything to my gallstones?
I have multiple gallstones in the gallbladder and in the common bile duct that measures at 1.7 mm in ...

I have the stomach flu, what should I eat??
I woke up this morning with, what I think is, the stomach flu. I tried to drink some water and eat some plain white bread and I couldn't even hold that down. I've been told Gatorade is ...

My infant son of 10 months has a running nose all the time..?
My infant son of 10 months has a running nose all the time..even if we live in a city where there is not much cold...You doint even require a sweater in the day...may be early morning there is bit ...

Staph infection?
ok...if you have already gotten staph infection, are you immune to it? i heard it is really deadly and there arent any cures for it. it is going around on the east coast...and thats where my bf is. ...

How can I help decrease the spread of staph in my area?
there are a lot of reported cases of staph in the town I live in...how can I help prevent it, for myself and others?...

Smile =]
How do you catch Shingles?
I mean how are they passed from one person to another?
Is it hand-to-hand contact or sharing bodily fluids (I'm talking drinks bottles etc) or through the air or what ?
Thanks.

jenmk1976
One study showed that the virus that causes Shingles can be released into the air from Shingle sores. It's best to keep any open sores covered to absorb any fluids.

Mostly, you should be concerned about direct contact. Wash hands frequently. Use anti-bacterial soap and hand-sanitizers too.

Anyone who has had even a mild case of Chicken Pox can get Shingles. When the virus that causes Chicken Pox re-activates, it causes Shingles.

If you are older, sick, or have a weakened immune system you are more likely to get Shingles.

Do a search online for more information about Shingles. The more you know, the better you will be prepared.

Jacqueline M
Dumpling is correct. Shingles are a form of the chicken pox virus. They can be bought on by stress, and can be easily treated by a Dr.

Ms. Manjenfrinjenson
Rating
You can't catch shingles. You can only get shingles if you had chicken pox. Older people and people with weak immune systems ore most likely to get shingles. Check out the below link.

Lauren I
Rating
I have had the shingles, when you have the chicken pox there is a strand of virus that stays in your blood which causes the shingles but when u have the shingles you wont get them again.

i had them when i was 11 i had them on the inside of my thigh they are little scabs that itch like hell!!

and they are contagious

Rottie Mom
Shingles comes from the chicken pox virus. It stays dormant in your body, then pops out as shingles years later. It's not contagious in the shingles stage, but is in the chicken pox stage.

dr_shady
Herpes zoster occurs only in people who have had chickenpox, and although it can occur at any age, the vast majority of sufferers are more than 50 years old.[20] The disease results from the virus reactivating in a single sensory ganglion.[4] In contrast to Herpes simplex virus, the latency of VZV is poorly understood. The virus has not been recovered from human nerve cells by cell culture and the location and structure of the viral DNA is not known. Virus-specific proteins continue to be made by the infected cells during the latent period, so true latency, as opposed to a chronic low-level infection, has not been proven. Although VZV has been detected in autopsies of nervous tissue,there are no methods to find dormant virus in the ganglia in living people.
Unless the immune system is compromised, it suppresses reactivation of the virus and prevents herpes zoster. Why this suppression sometimes fails is poorly understood,but herpes zoster is more likely to occur in people whose immune system is impaired due to aging, immunosuppressive therapy, psychological stress, or other factors.Upon reactivation, the virus replicates in the nerve cells, and virions are shed from the cells and carried down the axons to the area of skin served by that ganglion. In the skin, the virus causes local inflammation and blisters. The short and long-term pain caused by herpes zoster comes from the widespread growth of the virus in the infected nerves, which causes inflammation.

dumplingmuffin
you dont catch shingles,it is a result of having chicken pox as a child,the virus lays dormant in nerve endings,and when you are run down they flare up

PEACE!
http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_condition_info_details.asp?disease_id=228&channel_id=42&relation_id=2059

SamSam
Shingles are a latent form of chicken pox virus that resides in the body and comes out along nerve pathways... so you can't catch them from someone else. To get shingles, you have to have had chicken pox previously... usually as a child.

Now chicken pox is very contagious and spread by contact, by coughs and sneezes, etc. Most people are immunized against chicken pox at age 1 and age 4-6. Although immigrants and travelers from other countries other than the U.S. may not have been immunized.

below is a link on chicken pox

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy