Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Infectious Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What is Parkinson's Disease?
I need to know? What is Parkinson's Disease? And how is it formed?...

Should i replace Ibuprophen with Tylenol for my Rheumatoid Arthritis?
I thought i read that Tylenol is not anti-inflammatory? Did I; or should i start using it? I take two 200 mg. of Ibuphropen daily & it helps somewhat; i don't have much pain with my R.A. ...

I've gotten Strep throat for the second time this month, is there any reason why it's back?
I was on antibiotics and I felt a lot better (2 weeks ago), but now the symptoms are back.
Additional Details
I forgot to add that I DID finish the ...

How do you get mono?
Someone said they got mono from drinking after someone, but I think they would have to drink a crap load to get mono after someone. Isn't the only way to get to kiss alot?...

Â· You were told you had a terminal illness and had six months to live. What three things would be most?
important for you to do?...

How does AIDS affect the body?

List types of sectually transmitd diseases and their signs and symptomps?

How many kids do not wash their hand before eating?

Why can't aids be cured?
I know very little on the subject, so someone please correct me in my foolishness. If the t-cells gets to a certain low point, why can't they just inject more t-cells so an aids victims immune ...

Can you still spread herpes even if you never breakout?

I drank about 13 glasses of water today? Could I get water poisening!?!?

Additional Details
Also a small spot in the back of my head hurts!?!?!...

Pneumococcal Vaccine have you had it?
I had the injection earlier today i'm 18 and had the injection to ensure i don't get neumonier blood poisoning etc however my arm really hurts and is still very painful after 12hours is ...

Can an hiv patient give birth to a healthy baby.?
my sister is an hiv positive and has just giving birth to a baby girl....

Green discharge?
i have been getting bright green vajinal discharge for 2wks,it does not smell,or itch,does anybody no what it could be would be gratefull if sombody could help....

Antibiotics?
is cafedine something like that good for kidney ...

Does a patient have the right to know if medical treatment is experimental and refuse to participate?

Help! Swollen tonsils!?
My tonsils have gradually been getting bigger over the last couple of days. It's making me have a really horrible taste in my mouth and it feels like I have something stuck in the back of my ...

Can tell if you have hepatitis C rigtht away?
I dont know If i have hepatitis C but if I was to donate blood to red cross today, would they be able to tell on the spot if i have it? (because they check if your blood is donateable). how come when ...

What do think of the flu vaccine?
the state of new jersey is tryin to madate the flu vaccines in kids.. i have heard of cases where if given at such early age kids have developed autism and one very close case to the family the 6 yr ...

Can i get any virus by ingesting food or liquid?
I recently had a blood test and the results are not very conforting. I have high white cell (12000) High Neutrophils ( 69%) , Low Lymphocytes(lower end) and the others are between the range. however ...

Nympheas
Can chicken pox be deadly?
I'm 22 yrs old and over the past three days I've had a fever, headache, sore throat, nausea, and cold chills. Now today little red bumps are popping up all over my arms and numerous little blisters have begun to form on my fingers. I'm not 100% that it is chicken pox, but I will be heading to my doctor as soon as I can get through on the phone.
I thought that I've had chicken pox before, but after asking my mom she thinks that what I had when I was younger was just a mild allergic reaction.

So, here I am. 22 yrs old and possibly with chicken pox. Is this deadly? I've heard that it can be more harmful in adults, but I'm not sure.

jjhardygirl
Rating
You can get it twice, but it usually is less severe. I would definitely go to the dr. to confirm. You don't need to be contaminating others. :)

quantumrift
No. It is rarely fatal, but the symptoms are more sever in adults. And once you get chicken pox, you have a higher chance of developing shingles as you get older (50 and up).

Adolescents or adults are more likely to have complications from chickenpox than children. People who have trouble fighting infections are especially at risk for problems. This includes people being treated for cancer with chemotherapy or radiation, people who use steroids for other medical conditions, and people who have HIV infection. Possible complications are pneumonia or problems with the kidneys, heart, or joints. The nervous system may be affected, which may cause irritation and swelling in the brain (meningitis or encephalitis) or other types of nervous system problems. Sometimes an infection of the skin develops because bacteria get into sores when they are scratched.

How can I take care of myself?

* Take a lukewarm bath every 3 to 4 hours for the first few days. Add 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) of baking soda, cornstarch, or oatmeal per tub of water. Use soap in one of the baths each day to clean as much bacteria off the skin as possible.
* Use calamine lotion on the chickenpox sores to help relieve itching.
* Put an ice pack or cool moist washcloth on itchy areas for 20 to 30 minutes.
* If the itching is severe or making it hard to sleep, take a nonprescription antihistamine, such as Benadryl.
* Trim your fingernails and wash your hands often to help keep the rash from becoming infected if you scratch it.
* Take a nonprescription pain reliever such as acetaminophen for headache, fever, or general aches and pains.

bassdoc
Rating
That would be extremely rare. Just ride it out - you will get better. Ask your Doctor what to do but you don't have to worry about dying at all - just itching!!!

PeachesGurl
Hey,
My mom is a nurse, she says that yes it could be deadly but most likely will not be. She says you should go to the doctor right away and get it checked out. Do not wait. It is normal for you to be really sick before you get chicken pox. Almost everytime you get chicken pox you will most likely get a high fever. Get to a doctor and Good Luck!!!!

SUZE The Pink Lady
Treated properly you will most likely have no long term effects. It doesn't sound quite like cp though. Get your eval from your provider and follow your instructions exactly. Remember that your skin is the single largest organ in your body and when it's putting up red flags (or bumps!) it's time to pay attention. Healthy healing to you.

TweetyBird
It can be more severe for adults but not deadly.

?
Rarely does it happen, but yes, chicken pox can be deadly. It's not the chicken pox that kills ya, it's the complications that arise and it doesn't happen very often.

In chicken pox, the bumps usually start in the middle of your body - on the chest and belly, then they start up on your arms and legs a day or two later. If you only have the bumps on your arms and fingers, i'm not sure you have chicken pox.

You may want to get that checked out - could be something else.

Reg B
Rating
It can be more harmful in adults but if your a normally healthy adult, you dont have the risk of any complications from chicken pox. If you do have it, you should be fine

Mrs.Kelley
Rating
You can have a worse case of them being older but not deadly. Sounds like you might have Scarlet Fever to me though. It also causes a rash and all the sypmtoms you have.

Silly Gurl
Here's some info:

What is chickenpox?

Chickenpox is a common illness that causes an itchy rash and red spots or blisters (pox) all over the body. It is most common in children, but most people will get chickenpox at some point in their lives if they have not had the chickenpox vaccine.

Chickenpox usually isn't serious in healthy children. But it can cause problems for pregnant women, newborns, teens and adults, and people who have immune system problems that make it hard for the body to fight infection.

After you have had chickenpox, you are not likely to get it again. But the virus stays in your body long after you get over the illness. If the virus becomes active again, it can cause a painful viral infection called shingles.
What causes chickenpox, and how is it spread?

Chickenpox is caused by the varicella-zoster virus. It can spread easily. You can get it from an infected person who sneezes, coughs, or shares food or drinks. You can also get it if you touch the fluid from a chickenpox blister.

A person who has chickenpox can spread the virus even before he or she has any symptoms. Chickenpox is most easily spread from 2 to 3 days before the rash appears until all the blisters have crusted over.

You are at risk for chickenpox if you have never had the illness and have not had the chickenpox vaccine. If someone you live with gets chickenpox, your risk is even higher because of the close contact.
What are the symptoms?

The first symptoms of chickenpox often are a fever, a headache, and a sore throat. You or your child may feel sick, tired, and not very hungry. The chickenpox rash usually appears about 1 or 2 days after the first symptoms start. Some children get the chickenpox rash without having a fever or other early symptoms.

It usually takes 14 to 16 days to get the symptoms of chickenpox after you have been around someone with the virus. This is called the incubation period.

After a chickenpox red spot appears, it usually takes about 1 or 2 days for the spot to go through all its stages. This includes blistering, bursting, drying, and crusting over. New red spots will appear every day for up to 5 to 7 days.

You or your child can go back to work, school, or day care when all blisters have crusted over. This is usually about 10 days after the first symptoms start.

Other illnesses can have symptoms like those of chickenpox. For this reason, you may think you have had chickenpox twice when instead you have had two different infections.

Everything I've heard from doctors and read said that it just can be a worse outbreak in adults. It's a very good thing you're going in to your doctor ASAP! You'll be fine!

Get some calamine lotion, you'll be taking oatmeal baths and don't scratch because you'll get scars!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, December 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy