Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Infectious Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Like everyone in my school is getting the stomach virus . Is there aything u can do to prevent getting sick??

Are there really parasites in your body?

What is caucasian population?
many human trials of new drugs are based on this ...

I think I stop the medication too soon. What should I do?
I have bacterial conjunctivitis in my left eye last week. I went to the doctor and got an eye ointment & eye drops. I used those for several days, and once the redness dissapeared, I stopped the ...

I was told the staph infection mrsa could only be caught in hospitals or nursing homes.?
if the staph infection, mrsa can be caught in hospitals and nursing homes, how is it that a 7 year old girl has caught it when being in neither? How else can you get infected with it?...

I think I'm getting a cold...?
what can i do to make sure it doenst turn into a bad one... or to kick it out before it gets bad??...

Do I have a fever?
I have the chills, i have no appitite, i feel really tired and week, and i'm coughing up green mucus. I get a head rush every time I stand up. I don't have a thermometer. What is wrong with ...

Can you get salmonella bacteria from a turtle by grabbing it from the shell?

How do u get HIV?

When we found medicine for aids ?

Should she tell her he is HIV positive & break patient confidentiality/ hope he did the right the right thing?
My friend works at the hospital and the night I was having my baby one of our friends new bf was admitted for something(at the time he was her patient he was not dating our friend). While filing his ...

Help, Scabies?
HELP! PLease only serious replies. I've had these buggers for years now and I can't seem to get rid of them. I've been to countless doctors and their stupids creams just don't ...

Can i marry a person whose father suffering from leprosy?
Hi everybody,
My marriage got fixed, but his father is suffering from leprosy, we both r interested....but my parents are scared, they r not ready.......pls guide me what to do?...

Will removing my tonsils help my strep throat infection?
i have strep throat and it hurts really really bad. ive been taking all the medications my doctor had gicvin me but it doesnt seem to work. so im thinking that i should get my tonsils removed. is it ...

How long does malaria take to go?

I HAVE BAD stomachache how can i avoid it or stop it?
Please ANSWER...

My daughter 13 is running a low grade fever and is extremely tired, but feels hot all over. Could it be mono?

I live in moray do i need any vaccinations to go to tunisia on holiday?

Is it starve a fever, feed a cold? or the other way around?

What sort of diseases can you get from handling money?

La Vie Boheme
At what point should a child be medicated for a fever?
If a child has a fever of 100.5-101.2, isn't it a better idea NOT to give a fever reducer? Isn't the temperature there for a reason? I was always under the impression that the body increases it's temperature to kill off germs.
Additional Details
I'm not talking about a high fever here (a high fever is over 102) and there are no other symptoms.

chezzrob
unfortunately the high temp kills brain cells.

Give paracetamol to control the temperature.

Saadz
Rating
Your child should be fine overall as long as he/she is resting and is not in too much pain. If the fever lasts for longer than 24 hours, then that would mean that their body is having a hard time killing off the bacteria in the body, so then medication should be used to supplement the body's natural defenses.

hockey mom
Yes, the temp is there to fight off an infection. So I have heard that you need to let the fever do it's job and fight it. If the fever gets to 100.9 the need to have a fever reducer. But the fever needs to do the work.

Babe
Rule of thumb after 24 hours they may need help.

lpachal
You don't mention how old the child is. If the temp is below 100, it should be fine to just let it be. Let the child's own body defense deal with the fever but if the fever goes over 101, there could be great cause for concern. I myself have 3 children but only one was prone to febrile seizure every time her temp went over 101, and this started happening when she was 9 months old up until she was 4. Every child is different though. I'm posting a link here that I hope will be helpful to you.
http://www.femail.com.au/child-fever.htm

pebbles
Rating
Yes, its better not to give medication IF their acting ok. If they feel totally miserable, then give the medication. Your right, fever does kill germs. I would definitely make sure that they drink plenty of fluids though because fever can cause dehydration, especially if they have it for longer than a few days.

Mic
true, fever is a defense mechanism of the body. it's the same principle when we boil our water, we kill the germs present. i usually give a fever reducer when the temperature reaches 101.3. for low-grade fevers and the child is active, just give him plenty of water and cut the sugars. the temperature that is damaging to the brain is 107.6.

mel m
Rating
Just let your child rest and drink plenty of fluid since your child is 10. I think you are right in the temperature indicating the body fighting bacteria, though a cool compress or a fever reducer is not harmful.
If no improvement for 24 hours, see a doctor as this can indicate your child isn't fighting the infection properly.
Please read this site.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/body/fever.html

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, October 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy