Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Heart Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

I know that the heart is a muscle, then what is the brain ?

Swelling in the leg?
I am suffering from High Blood Pressure and taking amlopine 10mg. one tablet per day, because of this tablet i am getting swelling in my leg every day. could you suggest remedy for the same....

Will Heart Surgery help my dad?
My father was told by his doctor he has a bad heart valve, and for him to feel better he should do heart surgery, and replace the bad valve with a ?pig or frog valve? not sure, but his main problem ...

With blood pressure of 140-160/80-90, is that high? The doctors seemed not worried. HELP.?

How do you prevent an heart attack from happening?

Nursing Home?
Hello
My mom was in a nursing home, and I recieved a call last week that they couldnt wake her, and they said her heart rate was very high and her blood pressure was up very high, they took her ...

Am I having a stroke?
my head is hurting like hell, for 3 days now. And now suddenly my legs are tingling. It's not that serious I I'm guessing since I can type this. I checked one of those diagnose search thing ...

Heart trouble?
hi my husband is 39 he has had a mild heart attack 2 years ago, he recently went to get his blood preassure done and it was through the roof, went back a week later to get in done again and it was ...

Why would blood preasure be drastically different on the left arm than on the right arm?
my right arm was 151/101 & my left arm was 135/84, it was like that all weekend....

Help, I think my drinking is spiralling out of control.?

My blood pressure measured 139 over 68 at the docs today. Is this a reason for concern?
I am 27, 5 ft 8 and 160 pounds....

I'm 75, why do doctors tell me that I have the heart and lungs of a healthy 50 year old?
I have smoked for over 61 years. Nearly all of my relatives were smokers and lived well into their 80s and 90s. None ever died of a "Smoking Related Illness"....

My questions previously was 'Do Statins have a harmful effect on other parts of the body'?
Thanks so much for the many replies nearly all of which gave terrible details of the effects these drugs can have on liver/brain/muscles. Is there anybody out there who is taking statins ...

Help! blood pressure problem!!!!!!!!?
i am in my late teens and i already have high blood pressure (140 over 110). im not all that over weight (MAYBE 10lbs) but no more.
what is the quickest way i could lower my blood pressure to ...

Blood pressure/heart issues??
OK please don't say go to the HOSPITAL !! I don't feel i need to yet and i have a dr. appt tomorrow ... my question is that i am on a hydro pill (hydrochlorozide?? or something like that) ...

What would cause a blood clot in a persons heart? My husband had one. He just got out of the hospital.?

Stroke help? Are they deadly?
What is a stroke, and how can you tell if you're having one? My main question though is are they deadly? Please help!...

TEEN - Chest pain HEART AREA? anxiety panic.. problem also whats up?
im a teen age 15
i get a lot of panic attacks, and am always in a panic mood during the day.
now i've noticed my chest around the heart area is starting to hurt.
should i get ...

Sometimes I get a sharp pain my left upper arm and heart at once but its short lasting. Is this a <3 attack?
I get a pain in my heart and upper left arm at the same time and its very sharp but very fast. Ive only got it maybe 3 times at most and I know arm pain is supposed to be associated with heart ...

High blood pressure risks?
My blood pressure is about 155/78 sometimes higher sometimes lower and I am only 24. I work out 4 days a week cardio and weight lift. I try to watch what I eat and usually eat somewhat healthy even ...

sparrow18
Is Mitral Valve Prolapse deadly?.. how long can i live?..?
luckily i had to serve for my National services.. if not i didnt know that i had this "disease"... i had it since about 9 months ago.. i didnt consult any doctor after my check-up yet and i'm not on medications.. is there any cure to it?.. what will happen to me in 10 years time?..

kay_flood
the mitral valve is one of the valves controlling blood flow through your heart. Prolapse occurs when the valve becomes incompetent and can no longer function normally. Often this allows the blood to fall back thru the valve into the heart backing up the entire circulatory system, leading to high blood pressure, congestive respiratory disease, kidney failure to name a few resulting effects of progressive mitral valve prolapse. If caught early it can be treated effectively for quite some time with medications....but eventually it will require surgery to replace the valve. The longer you go without treatment, the more rapid the progression of the problem, in ten years you would likely have a heart attack and die. Strongly suggest you see a cardiologist and get started on medications.

Sassy OLD Broad
Mitral Valve Prolapse is usually present when you're born. The main way it is detected is by using a stethoscope and listening to the heart rate...it makes a "ticking" sound. With a minor condition, you can go your whole life without any problems. I'm 56 years old and have no problem with mine. My mother is 78, and has never had a problem with hers. A cardiologist will not treat it unless you are having symptoms such as shortness of breath, being lightheaded, or blood pooling in your extremities. If I were you, I'd go to the doc and ask him about your condition. Chances are he will ask you to come in yearly for a checkup and that will be it. Don't be worrying about something that isn't necessarily life-threatening. You check it out, and you just go about your life. If it needs treating, you'll know it in plenty of time to have it taken care of. I don't think stressing yourself out will help you one bit. It's rare for someone with mitral valve prolapse to have to have major surgery. Godloveya.

wizjp
I discovered I had it in 1999. Was monitored for about 6 years by having an 3D echocardiogram of my heart 1-2 times a year and it grew gradually worse. IN Jan of last year my back flow rate was at 65% and my cardiologist ordered surgery. ON Valentines day last year they stopped my heart, opened it, repaired the floppy valve by sewing a ring into it, stitched me up and a week later sent me home. After 21 more days I was back at a fairly non physical office job; after 6 months I was prononunced cured, no murmur, no side effects, no medicines required, no additional cardiologist visits. Almost a year later, other than some soreness where they sawed open my breast bone, and some fatigue still lingering, it's been textbook. I'm 50'ish non smoker in good physical condition and otherwise great health

Charlie
First, you need to see a cardiologist to have this evaluated and so you can get a clear understanding. Yhousands of people live a full life with mitral valve prolapse. A few need a valve replacement. I had rheumatic fever as a child, am now 65, nothing stops me. If you have dental work, you should take antibiotic pills as protection against infection...be sure your dentist knows. Each doctor you see needs to know, too. But it may actually affect your daily life very little. It just means that the flaps on the mitral valve in your heart are a little "floppy' and let a little blood backflow with each beat. See website listed below .I disagree.with the person who said you would probably have a heart attack in 10 years...just not borne out by the statistics..very few people have serious problems from it. Do see the doctor, but don't be doom and gloom about this. Just a little bump in the road.

jellybean1215
Rating
If you haven't already had an Echocardiogram then you need to have one! I see too often people sent to my clinic with a Mitral Valve diagnosis by symptoms alone! I don't see Mitral valve prolapse very often and if I do it is just a slight prolapse.

If you do have MVP then you will need to be put on antibiotics before any dental work. They will just keep an eye on it. Relax, I'm sure you will be fine for many many years.

Thank you for

winter_new_hampshire
I was just reading yesterday that the mitral valve lets the blood with the new oxygen in it into the left side of the heart before it goes out the top part (aorta) and
to the rest of the body and also a bit goes to the muscles of the heart to make it work too.

tony
The disease is not particularly deadly, but it's effects can possibly kill you. I ask you, please go see a doctor. There are treatments that can help you. I also have mitral valve prolapse. Go see a doctor.

c_schumacker
Rating
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3% of the entire U.S. population has mitral valve prolapse. It is a "non disease" in that it is asymptomatic for the vast majority of people and it generally requires no specific treatment or change in lifestyle. You should have an echocardiogram (ultrasound) every few years to keep an eye on it. MVP can develop into having the mitral valve not closing correctly, causing leaking. Trivial leaking is not a concern. If it is severe, however, it is an issue that needs addressed. The degree of leaking will dictate how closely the condition will need to be watched.

One of the issues with a leaking valve is to use antibiotics with dental procedures and certain other medical procedures...your doctor will advise you about this matter. There is no cure per se but if you are asymptomatic, require no treatment, and likely will remain that way, why worry about it?

Is there anything you should do? Keep your blood pressure well controlled; if you think you might have sleep apnea, get evaluated for it, and treat it, if warranted; finally, remain physically active - you are limited only by your own degree of fitness. Other than that, there are no medications or therapies required. Good luck.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy