Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Heart Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

What is a heart murmur?

My grandma has high blood pressure what should she watch out for?

Is aortic regurgitation "curable" with surgery?
My son was diagnosed at birth with aortic regurgitation and I found a website that states that it is curable with surgery, however our cardiologist has never stated it like that, he states that when ...

Is this a sign of high or low blood pressure?
I am almost 16 weeks pregnant and when I walk around for awhile or (even worse) when I just stand still I get very hot,sweaty(clammy) and feel like if I don sit down right that minute I'm going ...

Blood pressure and caffene?
How much does coffee affect blood pressure and for how long?...

What does it mean when heart fluttering is stong and painful, accompanied with difficulty breathing?
Every now and then I get this feeling in my chest like my heart is fluttering. It is deep and strong, it almost feels like my heart is trying to pull up and out of my mouth. It hurts and pulls my ...

Do i have high blood pressure?
my blood pressure is 137 over 103 I was wondring if that is ...

Is This True About Atenolol?
ive read things where i believe it said that atenolol can make allergies worse?..is this true like i have dust allergies can being on it make the allergies affects worse?..ive been having bad ...

What makes a person potassium go low?

Cant fall asleep, constantly aware of heart beat?
i dont know if it sin my mind or not, but i can't stop thinking about my heart beat while laying down. it feels like a constant thumping all over my body and my head sometimes spirals into ...

Can you still breathe normally and remain conscious if your heart stops?
On an episode of House a girl's heart stopped and she didn't fall unconscious or stop breathing. They made her cough to keep the blood flowing to her brain while they did CPR. Is that ...

In an ecg,what does the information,rsr in v1and v2,smallr only mean?
i went into hospital and a routine ecg,said this plus something about a soft systolic, i was suffering severe blood loss and anaemia with chest pains and breathlessness,is thre anything to worry ...

How can i lower my blood presure?

What condition would you be in if one side of your heart is 100% blocked and the other is blocked 80-90%?
Hi. I have been told that a relative of mine has a 100% blockage on the right side of her heart and the left is blocked 80-90%. The doctors have said they can not operate and their is not anything ...

What is a good diet for high cholesterol and high blood pressure?
Just recently after seeing the doctor I find out my cholesterol and blood pressure is very high. I have to take medicine and exercise and watch what I eat. I have watch those Nutricious labels and ...

Blood pressure problem?
I am 29 years old. My blood pressure go up and down very fast. I brought a blood pressure monitor, and I have keep track of it over 1 year now. It can go up to 132/99 at work and it can drop to ...

Did gerald Levert have a heart attac?

My grandfather is 83 and his heart is only working at 35% can he live long like this?
the doctors say that there is nothing they can do for him because he is too old and weak. he's losing a lot of weight (cant eat) and he has a hard time breathing even though tests show he has ...

What would i do if i fail to hear the first beat in measuring blood pressure???

Chest pain left side?
Woke up with a soreness in my chest. Im 25 years old. I get paranoid all the time. I have anxiety attacks sometimes. Soreness on left side of chest. Worrying about it. When I press on it with my hand ...

anonymous
How long can a person last with untreated congestive heart failure?
My dad has heart disease, has had angioplasty, then open heart surgery, then a pacer/defibrillator. He's in his early 60's.

Last night he couldn't breathe and went to the ER. He was told that he had congestive heart failure and was give Lasix to get the fluid off his heart. The doctor was very concerned and tried to admit my dad, but my dad refused treatment and left. He has his prescription for the lasix now and is taking it, but he has not taken his blood pressure medicine or his cholesterol medicine in months, and to top it off started smoking again. I'm not sure why.....obviously all those are very stupid things to do. What can we do to get through to him? How long does someone have to last with congestive heart failure?

Please, no rude comments, I realize not taking his meds and smokign are pretty stupid.......I want to know what I can say or tell him to make him realize that the rational thing to do is go back to the ER and have himself admitted for further treatment.
Additional Details
thank you for the answers. I just called my mom to see if she would try to talk some sense in him, but she doesn't act like she really cares. I mean, he quit smoking for months....and all she did was sit in front of him and continue to smoke and puff away. So I really don't know what else to do =( How could he quit when she is right there smoking in front of him all the time?

mary p
On the proper heart meds. he can live for a long time...without, 2- 4 days....
Sounds like he is tired..and DONE!! Just lost my father ..same way..let him go out the way he wants...I, for selfish reasons, wanted to keep him alive...HUGS!!!!!

toastyrachel
Rating
I know how hard it is to have a parent sick and continuing things that are destructive. But your Dad sounds like he may be rather sick. The blood pressure medicine might be the most important thing to see if you can get him to start taking. The best thing is to suggest things. Like telling your Dad you know some people live very good lives with the problems he has and suggest maybe getting a different cardiac doctor. Ask him if his medicine makes him feel bad. Keep suggesting to your dad that you think he can do better especially if he tries a different doctor. In my opinion doctors are like car mechanics some are good some are not and some can screw up your car. Keep telling your dad that you want him to feel better and see a doctor that he likes and that gives him the plan that has his life improve. Smoking is an addiction and it is not physically as easy for some people as is is for others. Try not to judge your dad-sounds like you are not- then keep suggesting the things you want. Don't tell him what to do there are enough people in his life to do that (doctors) but just keep telling him you think he could do better with a different doctor or different medicine and you want him to be around and feel good.

kwhalee
Rating
If he takes care of himself, a decade. Maybe more.

However, with his sudden change of treatment to no treatment and his pick up of bad habits...it is unlikely it will be more than a year. Maybe 2.

woman38
it sounds like he is depressed
i cant really estimate how long he will live with untreated CHF
try saying "dad I love you and I dont want you do die, please see the doctor to insure that I will have more years of life with you"

arelad@btinternet.com
Rating
Have you looked at this from your dads point of view? I can mirror all of his symptoms other than having a pacemaker. I went through a phase as he possibly is doing,
"To hell with everything and here I go for broke."
I went to great detail in organizing my own funeral and the disposal of my ashes, perhaps he is moving this way but so far has only managed to think up to the moment of death. Ask him what he wants after death, When my wife suddenly died I had no idea what she wanted and organized things to the best of my ability. Now my daughter and an old friend, (An undertaker) have a written script of what I look for and enough money is stashed away to do it. I would say your dad is searching for something but isn't sure what... talk to him, let him see you are on his side. Tell him from me, he isn't the first to go through this but it is possible to come out feeling OK in the near future. In the last two weeks I have taken an interest in a lady and have started going through some courtship rituals... Two years ago I didn't give myself a month to live... but no one kills thoroughbreds. good luck.

Peter E
Not long.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy