Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Heart Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

Are there any blood pressure experts out there? If so, would a systolic reading of between 90-97 be too low?

I smoked pot 7-3, that was my third time after six months.am i going to be positive on drug test on 07-09?

Additional Details
is there any detox that i can buy? and where? and how fast it is? cuz im going to take drug test on monday. i need ...

Is pulse rates the same as your heart beat?

Somethings not right?
One night a couple months ago i was lying in bed about to sleep and then my body went numb and tingley and i started to breathe really heavily, i felt like i was out of breath and that i was going to ...

I had two heart attacks a couple of years ago and am on medication for the rest of my life.?
I am currently experiencing problems with dreadful pain in my lower legs which doesnt abate with rest, swelling of my hands and feet, sometimes severe difficulty swallowing. I have had two previous DV...

Chest palpations?
Sometimes I will be sitting at home just chilling and my heart will flutter like it's beating really fast... i can almost feel my aotra pounding.. what can this be a sign of?? I know i have a ...

Heart pics???With parts please???
I need it with these parts and others:
*Septum
*Pulmonary Vein
*Pulmonary Artery
*Aorta
*Right Atrium Valve
*Left Atrium Valve
*Surperior Vena Cava
*Inferior V...

If my mom has had episodes of heart problems and heart started racing should she go to the hospital?
should she go and get checked?
both my parents dont want to call 911
and i dont know what to do....

What is the only valve on th heart with two cusps?

Additional Details
give me the name !i know what is bi cuspid!!!!!...

What are the side effects of Lisinopril?

I have some electric shock in my left arm ocassionally. Is this a nerve problem or a heart problem?
This happens sometimes after two years and some times after five years. I had an accident 25 years ago. When I came out of the car I felt a sharp pain in my left arm as if the arm was broken. H...

Info on supra ventricular tacki cardia?

Recurrent Chest Sensation/Pain?
I'm a 23 year old male, non smoker, fit and active, never used drugs and i have the occasioanal drink.

Since January of this year i've had chest pain that has come and gone. The ...

I woke up about 10 mornings ago and my thumb and the fist two didgets were numb....i thought it was the way i?
it was like they were asleep.....but now 14 days later i still can't fell them.........

My cholestrol screening level is 122. is that bad?

Does caffeine cause high blood pressure?

What should I do if I have shortness of breath (slightly) and intermittent rapid hear beat?
I am 47 and 45 lbs over weight.....good cholestrol, no high blood pressure....

Heart attack..?
My dad had a heart attack in October, and continues to smoke and drink.. What will happen?...

What causes heartburn? I heard it may be a symptom of a heart attack?

Can having a pacemaker be classed as having a disability?

ANGELA B
How do blood pressure tablets work?
i have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on tablets;can anyone medically tell me how do they work and lower blood pressure?
Additional Details
tablets are called Bendroflumethiazide

cyp 450
Different medications work differently. Some lower heart rate, others dilate arteries/veins. Others work by inhibiting angiotensin II(a substance that increases blood pressure).

TAFF
Rating
depends what ones they are.They might be ones to lower cholestorol. What are they called?
UPDATE
Thiazides are diuretics that are derived from benzothiadiazine. They inhibit Na+/Cl- reabsorption from the distal convoluted tubules in the kidneys. Thiazides also cause loss of potassium and an increase in serum uric acid. The chemical structure of the original thiazide diuretics contained a thiazide ring system; the term is also used for drugs with a similar action that are chemically thiazides, such as chlortalidone and metolazone.

Because of their vasodilator properties, Thiazides are often used to treat hypertension. They are the recommended first-line treatment in the US (JNC VII) guidelines and a recommended treatment in the European (ESC/ESH) guidelines. They have been shown to prevent hypertension-related morbidity and mortality although the mechanism is not fully understood. Thiazides cause vasodilation by desensitizing the vascular smooth muscle cells to calcium release induced by norepinephrine (PMID 15611360).

Side effects can include hypokalemia, increased serum cholesterol, and impotence. The side effect of hypokalemia has motivated combining thiazides with ACE inhibitors, which also lower blood pressure but cause hyperkalemia as a side effect. Long-term usage of thiazides is also linked to increased levels of homocysteine, a toxic amino acid byproduct, has been associated with atherosclerosis. It is recommended that patients receiving long-term thiazide treatments also receive folic acid supplements to combat the risk.

Thiazides also lower urinary calcium excretion, making them useful in preventing calcium-containing kidney stones. This effect is associated with positive calcium balance and is associated with an increase in bone mineral density and reductions in fracture rates attributable to osteoporosis. Because of those properties, they are also used in the treatment of Dent's Disease or idiopathic hypercalciuria.

Thiazide may be combined with ACE inhibitors to increase diuresis without changing plasma potassium concentrations. While ACE inhibitors cause diuresis with potassium retention, thiazide increases potassium excretion. Their combined effects on potassium cancel each other out.

It should be noted that thiazides pass through breast milk, and in some cases, decrease the flow of breast milk. There is no specific information regarding the use of thiazides in children, but it is still advised that mothers avoid using thiazides during the first month of breast feeding.

Harmony
Bendroflumethiazide is a thiazide derivative that affects reabsorption of electrolyte in the renal tubules. It increases excretion of sodium and chloride resulting in loss of potassium and bicarbonate. The exact mechanism as an anti-hypertensive is unknown .

David S
Rating
Do they work? Yes.

Do they solve the actual problem?

No, it's known as a "Maintenance drug" and does nothing more than poison your body in a specific way in order to prevent you from having the symptom.

I say poison because all drugs must have a known toxic level (called an LD-50 which proves how much is lethal to 2 species of animals) before the drug can be approved.

Black
Rating
This website link explains all about high blood pressure and the different types of medication available and how they work. I hope you get the information you are looking for.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/medications.htm

gangadharan_nair
Hypertension is sustained elevation of resting systolic BP (≥ 140 mm Hg), diastolic BP (≥ 90 mm Hg), or both. Hypertension with no known cause (primary; formerly, essential hypertension) is most common; hypertension with an identified cause (secondary hypertension) is usually due to a renal disorder. Usually, no symptoms develop unless hypertension is severe or long-standing. Diagnosis is by sphygmomanometry. Tests may be done to determine cause, assess damage, and identify other cardiovascular risk factors. Treatment involves lifestyle changes and drugs, including diuretics, β-blockers, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor blockers, and Ca channel blockers.
Bendroflumethiazide INN (formerly BAN bendrofluazide), is a thiazide diuretic, used to treat hypertension.

dark girl
ok, i haven't researched it so this is a guess kind of, but i do think that they slow down your heart rate which in turn lowers your blood pressure.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, November 27, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy