Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    First Aid
Health Discussion Forum

On blood thinner.. a slight scratch and he bleeds bad.. how can i stop the blood fast.?

How come I can't wear heels? everytime I go out I HAVE TO COME HOME EARLY COZ MY feet hurt!?

I am cold any suggestions to get warm?

Will dinking straight lemon ectract actually 'BLAST' kidney stones?

I am trying to stop smoking, can any one give any tips?
i am really ...

My wife has gotten the cotton tip of a QTip stuck in her ear. Is there a safe way to get it out?

I have a humanoid that as started bleeding help?

Additional Details
sorry that was spelled wrong its a ...

Do i need to take another cpr class if my certificate expired?
I took a cpr class a few years back in 7th grade and the certificate was only valid for 1 year after the completion date. Now that im a senior im wondering is it necessary to reknew it? if so how? ...

How do you know whan a cut needs a stitch ?
i sliced the tip of thumb yest when making cakes with the magimix ...
it still keeps bleeding and the thumb is throbbing
would you go a&e to see if a stitch is needed ??/...

Best way to soothe a burn?
what's the best way to treat a bad burn immediatly? A freind just burnt her hand on the stove....

Why do obese people go to fast food places and order the worst thing on the menu and get a diet soda?

I think i just overdosed on an OTC drug. Please help.?
I know this seems silly, but I just took a "normal" dose of Zicam cough surpressant max (5 sprays, 30.0mg Dextromethorphan HBr 6.0 mg) and I'm feeling extreme paranoia and restlessness....

What's the best way to get rid of a headache?
Dont say asperin either smarty jones.......

Any quick way to speed up the healing of a cold sore ?

Is rabies foam good for shaving?

My little brother stuck a bug in his ear and it's dead but stuck deep we tried everything HELP!!!!
My little brother woke me up in 4 in the morning i tried to pull it out with tweezers but it's to deep it's dead and he not crying but i don't know what to do! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Ive been drinking only water for the past 6 months.Can this have an effect on my immune system in a bad way?
Ive been getting sick for the past 3 weeks and im wondering if it is becasue of how i only drink water in my ...

What is the best way to stop fingernail biting?

I'm too lazy. What can i do 2 reduce it? Plz answer...?
I sleep more than 9hrs a day, i cant get up soon, if i did... drowsiness starts, i'm overweight, i dont do any activities nowadays, i'm kinda depressed. anyone plz help me......

What is a good household product to treat burns?
My mom got a burn from the steam from the Coffee Pot! We can't go out to buy anything, what can we use that we have ion the house? (It is not like a 3rf degree burn or anything, but it still ...

mah
What could swallowing a penny do to you?

Additional Details
this happened to me when i was 4yr.old.i was just wondering b/c i dont ever even know if it came out ppl.im freakin serious!do u think it would cause constipation though?

Jen
well pennies are touched by everyone and fell on the streets. not exactly what you want in ya

some dollars have the website written on them and you can see how far your dollar travels the US. My dollar went from Texas to newyork in a bout 3 weeks!!!!

scarletts_hot
Rating
Well, you could choke and die, or you could crap it out and then clean it and reuse it. Its penny recycling! But I dont recommend re-swallowing it if you choose this course of action.

2FindOut
Rating
Who knows maybe you will choke, why would you even consider a question like that?

The Professor
cut off the air flow in your trachea, thus causing your body to slowly die due to lack of oxygen. You'll soon pass out, and your brain will start to die, and then your heart will stop and you'll go into cardiac arrest. Have fun with that.

angeleyz67501
you'll have penny in ur sh.it

tanny_banany2002
Nothing, you'll crap it out the next day...might hurt a little coming out.Now if you swallowed a quarter that might be trouble cuz you might get back two dimes and a nickle...

Unknown
It could get stuck in your throat and you could die. Otherwise if it doesnt get stuck nothing bad would happen. Your body would just pass it. It would come out the same as it was when it went in. However dont swallow anything other than food and water and other safe liquids.

opw290
First off, having a small piece of metal in you can seriously clog up your intestines (painful). And if it stays in you too long, the copper could start seeping into your blood stream. It also would probably scrape up your esophogus on the way down as well, and might make you choke. I don't reccommend swallowing pennies.

texansis
Probably not much to a grown person. Should "pass" within a couple of days or so.

rainchaser77
Rating
This too shall pass...

astn7278
Rating
nothing unless you swallow a whole bunch of them. If you did your going to die unless you get a 5000 dollar surgery. :-)

nett1k
if it gets stuck somewhere, which it probably won't, then it could do somethin, but it probably won't do anything. my cousin actually swallowed a thumb tac once, nothing bad happened and its been atleast 5 years.

eric_rsaup
Constipation. Don't expect to keep change ;) LOL!

slnke
*Edit: Pennies minted before 1982 are no big deal. Also, if you eat really full meals for two or three days straight to expand your stomach, it should pass through the GI tract and poop out.
--
Here, I found you an interesting article that relates the zinc in pennies with stomach ulcers, kidney and liver issues in children. Appartently pennies that are minted after 1982 contain high zinc content (zinc is cheaper than copper -- probably the reason), and the zinc reacts with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach to form zinc chloride. Zinc chloride is much more corrosive than hydrochloric acid alone, and would be enough to burn through the mucous lining of the stomach. Coupled with the hydrochloric acid already in the stomach, it's bad news in terms of stomach ulcers and possible internal bleeding.

I would assume that with adults, the toxicity in relation to the kidney and liver would be reduced due to body mass. However, I would predict that the ulceration of the stomach would be similar in both children and adults.

With the flat shape of penny, I would also assume that it is difficult to pass it through the GI tract (i.e. pooping it out). The stomach is made out of folds, which expand to accomodate food. A penny can easily be stuck in one of those folds, and with the corrosive nature of zinc chloride, stick itself to the walls of the stomach, burning away.

All in all... if you or a child swallows one, it doesn't pass through in a day or so, and it hurts... it's probably time to go to the hospital.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, April 24, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy