Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    First Aid
Health Discussion Forum

What helps you to stop bleeding, cold or warm water?

How do i cure a water balloon on my thumb?
i have a water balloon on my thumb and it hurts like hell

I have a Golf tournament on this Saturday, how do I take care of it?...

If you witness an accident...?
What if you see an accident,and a man bleeding profusely in the arm,for eg,is there anything you can do to help stop the bleeding,while waiting for the ambulance?im sure you don't want the man ...

Do all brown recluse bites need med attention?
I think I was bitten. Very small, feverish mark with hole in center. White in center red around. Cant be for sure if it is a bite but probably....

Can u tell me ways to cut down on sleep?
Yes sleep is important but I end up sleeping for 12- 15 hrs a day....isn't that too much?? I can't get my butt off the bed....plz ...without any pills n stuff..how can i stay awake or ...

Ham making me swelled?
everytime i eat ham my feet sweell up
i try an stay away from it
but why is this happening ?...

Ok this was stupid of my but I fell asleep reading my email and I had gum in my mouth when I woke up it...?
when I woke up I guess I swalloed the gum in my sleep (it was a nap) do you think it went down my esophagus or my wind pipe?? will I be ok? what are signs that I'm not?...

How can i get tallerrrrrr :((?
heeeeeeey guys

am 156 cm
n i wanna reach 160cm or more

is there any way to get taller
don't tell me swim or do some sport cz i tried it b4<...

Sore throat is lasting longer than a week.?
I got a sore throat last wednesday and I can still feel it, it doesnt hurt bad but i can tell its still there. At night, i get a stuffy nose when im sleeping, like i'll wake up with one, and ...

If I quit smoking, will I still look this cool?
I mean, come on, if you're gonna kill yourself, at least do it with style.
Additional Details
What happened to the good old days?...

I was in a tanning bed accident where a tanning bed broke and fell on top of me, has this happened to anyone?

What is the best supplement for alertness?

What is the best way to stop the bleeding?
I slipped on the wet floor and hit my chin I can't make it to stop bleeding for hrs
Additional Details
skin got ripped ...

How do you treat burns?
I just burned my hand about 30 minutes ago and it still burns.I tried putting a cream for burns but that didn't work.Then i tried putting it in cold water it worked but my mom said not to do ...

How could you remove water trapped on the inside of your ear?
painlessly- I tried as some people told me, closed my nose and blew my ears, but it caused more pain!

Would somebody please help me! The blockage is so irritating!...

I have the chicken poxs but i don't know when i could go back to school?

Additional Details
what if i am not itching and i still have my spots because i just got them last thursday?...

How do you get cuts to heal faster?

Can a girl that has a yest ifshen give it to her partner?

How do i get a small cactus needle out of my finger?
i cant get it out its too small i need help how do u people get them ...

Burnt my hand?
today i was making my dinner on the stove and i burnt my hand, so after about half hour my hand still hurts real bad, is there any thing i can do the get rid of the pain....

jake
Nose bleed?
how can u stop nose bleeding?
because my nose bleeding since yesterday
my nose bleed stops but after 30minutes it bleeds again
and also the blood cloth is coming from my mouth its sso nasty
and i have a headache right now
please help? what should i do?

joecrede1234
U MIGHT HAVE LUKEMIA SEE A DOCTOR

MEdExp,MD
What should I do when I get a nosebleed?
A nosebleed can be scary to get--or see--but try to stay calm. Most nosebleeds look much worse than they really are. Almost all nosebleeds can be treated at home.

If you get a nosebleed, sit down and lean slightly forward. Keeping your head above your heart will make your nose bleed less. Lean forward so the blood will drain out of your nose instead of down the back of your throat. If you lean back, you may swallow the blood. This can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Use your thumb and index finger to squeeze together the soft portion of your nose. This area is located between the end of your nose and the hard, bony ridge that forms the bridge of your nose. Keep holding your nose until the bleeding stops. Don't let go for at least 5 minutes. If it's still bleeding, hold it again for 10 minutes straight.

You can also place a cold compress or an ice pack across the bridge of your nose.

Once the bleeding stops, don't do anything that may make it start again, such as bending over or blowing your nose.

Pinch your nose to stop a nosebleed

Return to top

What causes nosebleeds?
The most common causes are dryness (often caused by indoor heat in the winter) and nose picking. These two things work together--nose picking occurs more often when mucus in the nose is dry and crusty.

Other, less common, causes include injuries, colds, allergies or cocaine use. Children may stick small objects up the nose. Older people may have atherosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"), infections, high blood pressure and blood clotting disorders, or they may be taking drugs like aspirin that interfere with blood clotting. The cause of nosebleeds often can't be determined.

Return to top

Why is the nose prone to bleeding?
Blame it on anatomy. The nose has many blood vessels in it to help warm and humidify the air you breathe. These vessels lie close to the surface, making them easy to injure.

Return to top

See your doctor if:
The bleeding goes on for more than 15 minutes.
The bleeding was caused by an injury.
You get nosebleeds often.

Are nosebleeds serious?
Most aren't. Most nosebleeds occur in the front part of the nose and stop in a few minutes.

A few nosebleeds stem from large vessels in the back of the nose. These nosebleeds can be dangerous. They may occur after an injury. This type of nosebleed is more common in the elderly and is often due to high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, daily aspirin use or bleeding disorders. Usually, the older the patient, the more serious the nosebleed.

You'll need to get medical attention if a nosebleed goes on for more than 15 minutes or if it occurs after an injury, such as a punch in the face, especially if you think you may have a broken nose. A nosebleed after a fall or car wreck could be a sign of internal bleeding.

Frequent nosebleeds may mean you have a more serious problem. For example, nosebleeds and bruising can be early signs of leukemia. Nosebleeds can also be a sign of blood clotting disorders and nasal tumors (cancerous and non-cancerous).
http://familydoctor.org/132.xml
http://www.rdoctor.com
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
http://www.cdc.gov
http://www.kavokin.com
http://www.symptomat.com
http://www.webmd.com
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
Return to top

What will my doctor do for a nosebleed?
Your doctor will try to find out where the bleeding is coming from in your nose. He or she will probably ask you some questions and examine your nose. If the bleeding doesn't stop on its own or with pressure applied, your doctor may cauterize the bleeding vessel or pack your nose to stop the bleeding.

Cauterization involves using special solutions or an electrical or heating device to burn the vessel so that it stops bleeding. Your doctor will numb your nose before the procedure.

Packing the nose involves putting special gauze or an inflatable latex balloon into the nose so that enough pressure is placed on the vessel to make it stop bleeding.

Return to top

Tips on preventing nosebleeds
Keep children's fingernails short to discourage nose picking.
Counteract the drying effects of indoor heated air by using a humidifier at night in your bedroom.
Quit smoking. Smoking dries out your nose and also irritates it.
Open your mouth when you sneeze.

Return to top

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff.

Source
American Academy of Family Physicians

SusanS, Incognito
You should go to the emergency room. There are several causes of nose bleeds and you should have it checked out and they can get it stopped for you. Other than pinching your nose gently and applying ice pack to your face, those are the only home remedies that I know.

msmedlin@sbcglobal.net
It sound's you have a serious condition, you have alot of blood clot's in your nose, and your nose can hold so much so it runs in your throat and it can make you real sick.You need to go the hospital so they can flush it out. They also can controll the bleeding nad hte blood clot's.

Allie15
Rating
Call your doctor for advice its been going on too long

momoxyz
Apply pressure to your nose. Look straight ahead never lean your head back. Do you have allergies and sinus problems? If you do your nose my be irritated with dryness. Put vaseline in your nose. It makes your nose moist. But if you bleeds continue then you need to see a doctor. There are so many causes of nose bleeds. When in doubt get checked out.

Randy T
I agree, go to the Doctor. in the mean time try pinching your upper lip. I know it sounds crazy but that is where 2 of the main vessels are located.

lifes_heart
You should seek medical attention right away. Continuous nose bleeding is not a normal thing to happen. Go to your doctor or the nearest emergency room. They can pack your nose or cauterize the blood vessel that is bleeding in your nose.

mrcricket1932
Rating
I had this situation present when I was 14 years of age... went to doc and had a cautery done.. never had another until I was much, much older. But this one was self induced. Through carelessness.

the_wizard519
put in it any deconjestant drops (that are used when u have cold )
it makes constriction in the blood vessels and so decrease the bleeding,
but u must see ur doctor to know whats the reason for that

Classy Granny
go to your doctor or the ER

RAILMAN
anything that wont stop bleeding in about 5 minutes should be seen by a doctor. pinch the bridge of your nose and hold it until the bleeding stops lean head forward not back it goes down your throat if you do

maxchica12
Rating
pinch ur nose right on the bone and don't tip ur head back! also go to the ER or the Dr's office immediately!!

sleddingsister@verizon.net
Rating
Tilt your head forward, pinch your nose at the top..and apply an ice pack to the back of your neck (while tilting your head forward)...

if it has been bleeding for a long time..I would go to the dr. ...

Is the air dry? do you have a cut in your nose? have you been blowing your nose a lot? if you answered yes...these are some of the reasons nose bleed at unusual times...

good luck rudolph!

Chuck H
Rating
Try a tampon in your nose...seriously. Next, if it does not stop go to the hospital.

Meg
Rating
If your nose has been bleeding pretty much non-stop since yesterday, you need to go to the ER.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy