Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    First Aid
Health Discussion Forum

What is it when certain smells attract you. I love the smell of dirt...I'm serious.?
Perfume and rose etc. are obnoxious as candle scents....

How many bones and joints are in your body?
I have been wondering this and i havent been able to sleep!!!...

Who likes sleeping naked?been doing for 26yrs now?
love the freedom from clothes feel,and the feel of the sheets on my naked ...

[please help me!! my sister needs ur answers!!?
ok so my twin sister was gardening to day and during this she grabbed a caturpilar. heres her description: green, fat, had little spikes, & puffy. so now her finget is infested cause she was ...

Did you know use of microwave and plastics are causing cancer?
my sis just sent me a letter of research from John Hopkins Hospital and research that a leaching prosess takes place when the oils in food are heated in Micowave and the chemicals in the plasics come ...

Ladies, i'm a guy, are there many male RN's out there? because i might think of becoming an RN?
That's normal right??...

My stomach hurt so much in the middle of the night that I woke up and couldn't fall back asleep.?
It was the first time that it had hurt that much. Should I be worried?...

You have got a bomb alter, and you are in the 10th floor , you have 2 mints in hand, what would you do,?

Is a thumb a finger?

First Aid Kit?
Me and my family (my husband and 15 year old son) will be moving soon from New York state to Oklahoma, we will be driving and Im trying to put together a well equipped first aid kit to use while we ...

My finger twitched I cut it off and it was still twitching what does that mean?

What else can I do to treat my sunburn?
Last Saturday we went to the beach and I ended up with a nasty sunburn........most of it has already healed but there is an area on my shoulder that is about 2 in. by 4 in. that has now peeled and is ...

Care for sliced off(skin) index finger?
Last week I was cutting fish and sliced the end of my index finger and nail off. It is an open wound about alittle smaller then a dime. It started to heal and then the skin opened when it got wet. I ...

I have a bug bite on the back of my knee, think its a chigar bite.....how do i get rid of it????
it has been there for about 6-7 weeks now and still itches, i have tried chigaraid but it still hasnt went away....any ideas how to get rid of it???...

Why am i drunk, but i havent drank?
so i woke up today, and looked at the wall, and everything was kind of moving around, like when your drunk. It's hard to walk and keep focused, and i passed out in the shower. I had something to ...

What's the best way to get the stinger out when stung by a bee ?

Can stress really cause a persons hair to gray?

Should recovered schezophrenic girl get married?

How can you fall asleep instead of using sleeping pills?

How Can I increase my memory power?

gerryhoughmagandie
Is surgical spirit poisonous if accidentally swallowed or when used on the skin as a disinfectant ?
I know it can be used on the skin, surely it is absorbed is this not dangerous ? I'm worried to use it for a skin wound though it was recommended.
Additional Details
I must add I know it can't be swallowed and would be lunacy to do so ! I just meant if it is absorbed by the skin is it no dangerous ? I have a piercing and was told to use hydrogen peroxide or surgical spirit, I don't think I should use it on broken skin !

mini the prophet of fubar
Rating
surgical spirit on the skin is safe, if you mix it with DR PEPPER it's known as bug juice and is a favoured drink amoung nerds - drinking it neat isnt reccommended though

Francis7
Rating
Better you get some non alcaholic wipes to clean or Savlon spray,another good one is Betadine and cover it with a Melolin dressing ask at your pharmacy for these and read the instructions,Good Luck.

mark.witham3@btinternet.com
Rating
Surgical spirit in itself is non-toxic but what others have not said if you drink it in quantity and over a period of time it can actually blind you. This is used by severe alcoholics as a substitute for a spirit such as whisky. Drink too much in one go and you could die from alcoholic poisoning (as is the case with too much alcohol any way)
It is safe to use on a wound if the doctor says so or has recommend it. a safe disinfectant you can use is TCP.

Inky Pinky Ponky
Rating
It is fine to use it on your skin to disinfect a wound, cut or scratch as long as the bottle was sealed. It will not harm you. Its used widely for this purpse. I used it and I am still here years later.

rose_merrick
Rating
don't swallow it, but you can put it on you skin OK

f0xymoron
Surgical spirit is just a purer alcohol - drink enough of it and you'll probably fall over, but excepting a bumped head, it's not going to do you any harm.

Geraldaut
If the packaging is OK, you can suppose it is sterile and OK. You should not swallow it without thinning it with water. But why would you drink it? It just tastes like cheap schnapps without taste, only alcohol...
For the wound, go ahead to apply it to disinfects the wound. It is there for this purpose!

Jo
Rating
I used it on my daughter as a disinfectant and about an hour later she had awful sores, like burns, where it was used. I am always careful with it now. This goes to show it is always wise to do skin tests first.

Katie G
It won't hurt you cleaning a wound with it its fine and smells nice too!!! Don't drink it for the wound though just dab it on the skin its not like headache tablets ha ha!!! I think they use it in hospitals. BUt you know what best thing for cleaning cuts etc is salt water without a doubt, as it brings all the dirt/pus whatever out of the wound. Use that. (and don't drink that either as you will be ill)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, September 22, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy