Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    First Aid
Health Discussion Forum

What do you believe is the number one killer through out the world?

How do you get over a bad weekend?
I had an amazingly bad weekend, and am wondering what some of your methods are for getting over it....

Should I pop a burn blister? It's 2cms long and about 1/2cm high.?
On the side of my thumb. Will poping it relive the pain? It's from hot cooking oil....

What can I rub around in my diaper to turn me on?
No, I don't have an incontinence problem. I just like wearing a diaper. It makes me feel like a baby.

I usually put pudding or applesauce. Any other suggestions?...

Small piece of sons finger fell off, should I take him to a doctor?
My 18 month old son was playing with the hedge clippers, (we didnt know he was outside) My neighbor came and woke me up to tell me what happened, with a piece of his finger in a plastic baggy. It isn&...

How do you get rid of the hiccups?
a spoonfull of sugar will get rid of them!...

Scale of 1-10...where are you as far as personality and why?

HELP! I just burned by fingers picking up a hot pan how can i relieve the pain?
They feel like fire, i ran them under cold water, is there anything else i can do???...

How do i pierce the top of my ear by myself?
Iwant the top of my ear pierced, but my mom told me i had to pay for it...and i have no money. so i wnt to pierce it myself. How do i do it?...

If you put a fork in a toaster will it hurt you?
I was just wondering because today i was about to put a fork in a toaster but i thought, maybe i should check by asking people on yahoo answers......

Any ideas on drawing wax out of your ear?
Both of my daughters ears are bloked with wax and the doctor has given her ear drops but they are not working shes been on it for a month now and he will not syringe them because she is only 5, so if ...

When you feel down, what do you do to feel better?

Does anyone know an effective natural remedy for a very sore throat? i hate taking medicine.?

What is good for sunburns other than aloe vera?
and how high should SPF in sun block be?...

Is there any home remides for removing ear wax?
And please don't tell me those ear candles....they don't work....
Additional Details
And without using a q-tip........

How do I get my 17 year old son to quit biting his nails??

Hangover cure needed!?
My head feels like it`s being slowly crushed by an opera singing Elephant..... Please send me your best remedy...Sympathy only please any smart *** answers will be treated with the contempt that they ...

I got a bad spider bite can you help?
well i'm not sure if it is a spider bite, it has gotton a bit bigger and a bit swollen it is BRIGHT white in the center and BRIGHT pinkish red around it and when i raise my arm up it hurts, it ...

How do you stop a finger from bleeding?
My sister just cut her finger and it's bleeding all over the ...

Why is my lower leg going numb?

The Blue Eyed Python
I got a splinter lodged in my finger how do i get it out, it's a big one?
i got a splinter about one centimetre lodged inside my finger, i need to get it out but i can't get at it, shoudl i try using a pin to get at it? also what should i do to stop it hurting so that i can get it out with a pin? :S

A
Rating
Please read this, I can help you out

1. get a pair of GOOD tweezers, not the ones that come in first-aid kits, go to the store if necessary
2. wash the tweezers in water
3. get alcohol prep pads and wipe down your finger AND tweezers,
4. pull 'er out.
5. if it doesnt work try using a pin to "push" it out more
6. if that doesnt work go to the doctor/urgent care
7. make sure you have a tetnus
8. if you have anyother symptoms: breathing difficulty, chest pain, red bumps, etc around the area go to your Emergency Department aSAP.

Hope this works. take care......and be more careful =]

Bertie
Rating
Unfortunately a pin is prob the best way, I have heard of people putting a small damp plaster onto the splinter and leaving it on for some time, possibly a couple days. Top up if it dries. In that way the skin becomes all soft and wrinkly, like when you've been in the bath, and it may even be possible just to squeeze it out.
I've never had the patience though - pin it is.

kiefers girl
Rating
Go into your local pharmacy and ask for a pot of magnesium sulphate paste. It's only about a pound. Put a good bit onto your finger and put a plaster or dressing on it for a few hours. You might have to do this more than once but I guarantee your splinter will come out. Trust me I'm a Pharmacy Technician!!

Tony F
Rating
i use a Stanley knife or chisel to get the point underneath and pinch down with a thumb nail but im in the building trades! my mum uses a pin and tweezers but i dont own them! you could try soaking it in salt water to help draw it out but youll still need tweezers to pull it out

Diamond
Rating
I use a pin but dip it in boiling water to sterilise it first
http://firstaid.about.com/od/firstaidbasics/ht/07_splinter.htm

-Ashley-
Rating
one word: tweezers.

Deanna
Rating
I'd reccomend soaking it in hot water with epsom salt for 15-20 mins. Then sterilize a pair of tweezers and a needle with some rubbing alcohol or betadine if you have it. Dry the area thoroughly with a clean paper towel, and try to ease it out by grabbing the tip with the tweezers. That probably won't work...so take the needle and try to push it just below the splinter....underneath it. Keep this up till one end pops out above the skin, then pull it out. Clean your finger thoroughly with lots of soap and warm water, and put a triple antiobiotic on it (like neosporin). Cover it with a bandaid overnight.

ockashgirl
Rating
i was told to put sugar on your finger then put a plaster over it and the combination draws the splinter out and it worked when i got a splinter

jo
but some mag sulphate paste on it and a plaster it will be out the next day good luck buy it from chemist about 1.59 good luck hope better soon take care

redmuppetrock
put on a plaster for a few hours to draw it out,then get a friend to use a needle and get it out for you,ouch i feel you pain good luck

firegirl999
If it is sticking out of your finger then gently clean around the affected area with soap and warm water and try to pull it out with sterile tweezers. Grasp the splinter with the tweezers as close to the skin as possible and draw it out at the angle that it went into your finger. Then carefully squeeze the wound to draw a little blood as this will help to flush out any remaining dirt. Clean the area again, pat it dry and apply a plaster to minimise the risk of infection. If it is embedded in the skin or difficult to dislodge then don't probe the area with anything sharp like a pin or needle as it would introduce infection. Instead pad around the splinter until you can bandage over it without pressing down and seek medical advice.

Shorter than Frankie Iero XD
Rating
use tweezers

Jonnie
Try to use a pair of forceps or tweezers. If possible, get someone to help. Squeeze your finger to block the pain sensors by activating the pressure sensors, then get someone else to pull the splinter out for you.

queenofcups31
Epsom salt will pull it to the surface. Get a pair pf pointed tweezers and pull it out.

junglejungle
Rating
i had one that went right thru my finger. had to go to hosiptal for it as it was that big..

errm use an ice cube... numb the finger..

then u need to widen the skin around it a bit, so u can get a decent grip on it.

used a sterlised needle and a pair of tweezers..

Ridin the storm out
Rating
OUCH! Sorry to hear about this injury. I've had this happen to me before. Try using a hot washcloth in order to get the splinter ready for removal. You may even want to alternate the site with a cool compress- which ever works best for you. Sterilize ur tweezers or a needle with rubbing alcohol. If this doesn't remove it, you may want to take a trip to the Dr. as this foreign object is going to bother you, and in addition, could cause an infection. Good Luck and Take Care!!! Here is a site below that may help you out.

Scampi
Rating
sterlise a needle and just pick at the skin around it and eventually when you get to it yank it out.

sar1994young
Rating
pinch both sides of your finger then with a needle try to get it out.Afterward pour some witch hazel over it then put a band aid around it.

Joseph M
Rating
tweezers

yellowgreen12
Rating
First, I would recommend soaking your finger in warm water so that your skin becomes less taunt over the area where the splinter is located. Second, sterilize the end of a pair of tweezers or a pin with rubbing alcohol...I think that tweezers would work better than a pin...less painfull too.

babyv
Rating
try a pin or try squeezing if i dont come out go to your local a+e department or nhs walk in centre

v
first clean around the area of the splinter with a gauze pad dipped in warm soapy water then sterilise a pair of tweezers by holding them into a flame for a few seconds and letting them cool gently use the tweezers to pull the splinter out at the same angle it went in squeeze the skin at the sides of the area where it was so it will bleed a bit this will help get rid of any dirt clean the area with another gauze pad dipped in cooled boiled water and pat dry with a clean gauze pad
dont try take it out with a needle it will just get infected

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy