Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

How fast can I lose 50-60 pounds?
I'm a very active person. I play tennis and volleyball after school every day along with doing 1 hour to 1 hour 1/2 dance routines at night. What is the best way to lose 50-60 pounds fast? And ...

I am trying to cut out junk food but love it too much.?
When I get a craving for it, what techniques can I use to stop myself??...

How much should a 13 year old weigh if they are 5'1"????
It's not for me, but greatly appreciated
=]...

Am i overweight?
i am almost 13 and i am about 5'4'' and i weight like 150. Don't be nice just yes or no. if yes (most likely) could you give me some things i could do to lose some?? I am also in ...

Are low calorie yoghurts fattening?
i love yoghurts and i have them all the time but are they really fattening?...

How can I get out of P.E.?
Yes, I am lazy....

Im 13 lost alot of weight and ive just blacked out !! but i feel fat what do i do !!?
Hey im laura im 13 over the last few weeks ive starved myself i feel so fat people call me fat ive lost alot of weight and im starting to like how i look but i cant stop what im doing ive just ...

Tell me the easiest & fastest way to put on weight???
I'm sixteen, terribly Handsome, but the only drawback I have is my Weight 55kgs which isn't matching my Height 5'9'' (five feet nine inches) Kindly let me know some useful ...

How can I get more muscle in my legs?
and arms and how can I get great ...

I'm a thin vegetarian male, whats the best way for me to gain muscle without having to eat meat?
I'm 30 years old, 6ft with a 30" in wist which I want to keep but how do I bulk up on muscle on my chest, arms and legs without eating loads of meat? I go to the gym for about 2 hours 3 ...

Is drinking water bad? water weight?
I heard drinking water is good and that drinking alot of water can help yu looe weight, but then whats water weight? So do I gain weight drinking water?...

Im 16 and im seriously overweight i need to loose weight any ideas?
well im very overweight i dont like many vegetables and i am very pickey at what i eat i really need help because i dance a lot and im the largest in the group and hate it please help me and dont say ...

Does the stomache shrink when a person looses weight?

My butts way to big for my body, what do I do?
I am a regular sized prson Not fat nor super skinny
Additional Details
OMG people I am like the most atheltic girl in my school!!! i don't think i need to do any more work outs than ...

Whats the most effective way to fight cravings for sweets, chocolate or pastry?

I am an 18 year old who has a beer belly, is there a solution?
I have gained 50 pounds in the course of one year. I wieghed in about 170 when I was 17 now I am 220, and I have grown but not too much. Most of the weight was stored in my abdominal area. I have ...

How can i get thinner arms?

For the guys?
what do u boys think about a girls weight? does it matter? i mean do u like model skinny, curvy, fat, whatever??? do they have to be a certain weight? what? just tell me wat ya think please :)...

Yea i have 8 kids?
me an my hubby work damn hard an no we claim no state benefits.all my children were wanted and are loved.and yes we have a telly yawnnnnnnnn.and id much rather be a size 12 then a size 22 plus im ...

5'10 model only 110lbs !!??
I watched a news program last night about how models smoke to suppress their appetite so that they don't have to eat; this one chick said she was 5'10 and 110 pounds! I was thinking of ...

Jessie
Working out makes me so hungry, I always end up gaining weight. How can I avoid this?
I know that working out can also make you gain MUSCLE weight, and that's not what I'm talking about. But when I start working out, I am RAVENOUSLY hungry all the time. I eat way more calories than when I'm totally sedentary, and the exercise isn't enough to burn them off. I want to be healthy AND thinner. ARGH.

Blue Rain
Always remember that when you exercise you are free to eat whatever you want. It is pollution that is making you gain weight. I also blame TV. Just remeber what Doctor Nick once said. Take a piece of paper and rub it against the food if it clears up you can eat it

David M
Try to drink a lot of water or diet drinks. By putting water volume in your stomach it curbs that hunger . It help with me staying on my weight lost. Fluids with no calories will help a lot.

Health-Nut_Ditto-Head
Rating
NewsTarget.com printable article http://www.newstarget.com/z011285.html

NewsTarget.com printable article
Originally published August 27 2005
Why weight loss requires strength training, even in women and seniors
by Mike Adams

Did you know that strength training is crucial for successfully losing weight and keeping it off? I'm talking about weight-bearing exercise. It doesn't have to be a huge, hulking workout where you're trying to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime, it just has to be some basic strength training.

Why is strength training important for losing weight? Because a lot of people try to starve themselves into weight loss. They think it's all about controlling calories. Unfortunately, a lot of dieticians and nutritionists don't really understand strength training, and they also think that it's just about calories. Calories in, calories out. If you have a calorie deficit, you're going to lose weight, if you consume extra calories, you'll gain body fat. While that's true, it's only part of the picture. Sure, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but how does your body actually use calories? It's your lean body mass, that muscle mass underneath your body fat, that burns calories 24/7, allowing you to actually eat more calories without gaining weight.

Let's say you happen to be quite obese and you have a high percentage of body fat. I used to be in that situation; I know what it feels like. Underneath that body fat you actually have a very strong skeleton and strong muscles. Your body has built up those muscles in order to carry all of that extra body fat when you move your body. Just the very act of standing up, walking across a parking lot, going up a flight of stairs or lifting your arms requires more effort when you're overweight, especially if you're obese. So the heavier you are, the stronger your muscles have to be just to allow you to do basic, everyday things.

Now this can actually work to your advantage -- if you manage to keep all of that muscle mass and bone density in place while you are losing body fat, then you can maintain the high metabolism that's associated with that lean body mass even while you are dropping body fat. But if you starve yourself, you're going to lose all the muscle resources you already have. It's a mistake a lot of people make. They try to lose body fat by starving themselves, and as the body fat vanishes from their body, their muscle mass also disappears. Why would the body get rid of muscle mass? Because, frankly, it doesn't need it.

Your body adapts to the need
You see, the body is an adaptive system. It will adapt to whatever loads you place on it. So if you are a heavier person and you're carrying around body fat, then your body will adapt by creating stronger muscles to lift your body. It's almost like doing a leg press every time you get up out of the chair. If you weigh 300 lbs you're doing a 300 lb leg press, you see? Now if you were to drop 150 lbs of body fat and end up at 150 lbs, your body wouldn't need the same amount of leg muscle to lift you. It would eliminate those leg muscles through catabolic action.

While it eliminates this muscle mass, your metabolism begins to slow. Remember, it's the lean body mass that's burning calories day in and day out, even when you're doing nothing. If you reduce that muscle mass by allowing it to go away (by not challenging your muscles), then your metabolism is going to slow. A lot of people end up at a place where they've lost the body fat and they're lighter, but it's suddenly so much easier to put on body fat. They don't have the muscle mass they once did, they're not automatically burning calories, and if they overeat just a little bit, they'll start packing on the body fat again.

Strength train while losing weight
The solution to all of this, the strategy I want to focus on here, is to engage in strength training while you are losing body fat. If you do this, then you will be able to maintain the muscle mass that you already have underneath your body fat while you are in the process of losing the fat. This will leave you with a greater proportion of lean body mass to body fat, meaning that you will be slimmer, yet you'll have the muscles that you had when you were overweight.

If you get rid of enough body fat in this way, then those muscles may begin to show -- if you're a man. If you're a woman, don't worry. You're never going to bulk up. A lot of women are mistakenly afraid of strength training. They think that if they pump a few weights they're going to turn into Lou Ferrigno overnight. They think they're going to have this competition muscle-bound body from lifting a couple of weights. Believe me, that is not the case at all. Most of those bodybuilding women are using steroids, and they've trained for years, even decades, just to produce that kind of muscle mass. Women are not built to puts on lots of muscle mass, so don't be afraid that you'll bulk up. Women who are afraid of exercising because they think it's going to make them look bigger have it all wrong.

Women need strength training, too
Let's take a moment to cover that myth here. Let's say you're a woman and you have more body fat than you want. You're trying to decide, "Should I engage in strength training as part of my weight loss program?" Some women say, "No, because I'll bulk up and it'll make me look fatter." That's a complete myth; it's totally false.

When you have a high percentage of body fat, that body fat is stored not only in the tissues that are obvious -- such as your hips and your midsection, your arms and legs and so on -- it's also stored intramuscularly, which means it's stored within the muscles of your body. It's sort of like the marbling of beef from a cow. If you slice a muscle from a cow, there's some fat inside the muscle -- that is the same kind of fat that's in our muscles when we have a high percentage of body fat.

That fat takes up a lot of space in the muscle, so it actually makes the muscle look bigger, because there's fat inside. When you start losing body fat, even if you're engaged in strength training, that intramuscular fat will begin to vanish. So even if your muscle mass begins to grow -- which, again, is very difficult for women to accomplish -- your overall muscle size is probably going to be smaller when you're at a lower percentage of body fat. The net change in your muscle size is going to be almost nothing, unless you really start to do strength training on a regular basis for a period of a year or two, and then you might actually begin to put on a little bit more muscle.

Don't lose the muscle you've already built
So with that crazy myth covered, let's get back to the main point here, which is that engaging in strength training will conserve the muscle mass you have now. Now here's why this is so important. It's very easy for your body to shed useless muscle. So if you're not using a muscle, your body will get rid of it over a few months. It's gone. But to gain that muscle back -- now that takes some effort! That could take months or years of strength training. It is much harder for your body to engage in anabolic reactions (to build muscle mass) than it is for your body to catabolize and get rid of muscles. So, if you decide you're going to starve yourself while you lose weight and get down to the minimum weight possible, and afterwards you engage in strength training, then you're going to find that it's a much more difficult process to gain lean body mass than it was to slim away what you had to begin with. Building lean body mass is a huge challenge.

It's also important to note that when people talk about weight loss, they throw that term around without really understanding what it means. Everybody says "I want to lose weight," but they don't really mean that. They mean they want to lose body fat; they don't want to just lose weight. A limb amputation will cause you to lose weight, but that's not what people have in mind! People want to lose body fat. So be careful what you wish for -- and don't use that bathroom scale as a measure of your progress. There are a number of reasons why.

One is if you just starve yourself and you start losing lean body mass, then that counts as weight loss. But you've done yourself no good whatsoever, because now you've actually lowered your metabolism. The scale says, "Hey! You lost another three pounds!" But it could be 2 lbs of fat and 1 lb of muscle, and that's not a good situation to be in. You want to lose maybe 2.9 lbs of fat and 0.1 lbs of muscle, or maybe 3 lbs of fat and no muscle. But to do that, you've got to challenge your muscular system through some weight bearing exercise.

Don't forget the glycogen fuel stored in your body

♥Choir♥
eat fruits!

super steve
listen up...first having more muscle will help you burn calories faster. and you are hungry because your body will be craving protein and other things to help your muscles recover. you need to make smart choices when it comes to food..it sounds to me like if you are gaining more weight meaning somehow body fat while you are working out it means you are eating too much of the wrong thing..watch your fat intake...after workouts have a good protein shake and try and wait out the super hunger. eat lots of fruits and veggies if you must eat lots of something... good luck

troble # one?
Rating
Eat good foods carrots, celery, fruits....

Anna C
Well, have you tried eating moderate portions of good tasting healthy food? If you crave some chips, you could eat some of those Baked Chips. They taste just the same, but they're healthier! Or you could go to a health store and pick something up. Remember to also have self control with your diet.

Misty Eyes
Rating
It's the food choices you're making. Try drinking more water, too. Sometimes when we think we're hungry we're actually thirsty. If the water doesn't curb your appetite then reach for something healthy like plain popcorn, pretzels, veggies or some granola.

cute chick
Rating
well, you need to try eating more fruits and veggies. you should drink after working out. but right after you work out drinking isnt that great. wait 10 minutes or so until you do. that way you lose water and don't end up gaining it again. eat nuts and no junk food. i try to eat very healthy becuz i know its good for me.

Chris
Just eat slower, it takes your body 15 minutes to realize it's hungry so just eat slower and you won't end up over eating
and gaining weight.

LaLa
Rating
When you don't DRINK enough water, you get that hungry feeling. Make sure you drink alot and always have a drink BEFORE eating, you may not need to eat after all!

Barbara U
U just told us the answer. U know what u r doing wrong. just dont do it.

tanj
watch what you eat. you should eat like you regularly do, three times a day, lunch as the biggest meal, two snacks between. Just don't eat stuff that's excessively bad for you, and you should be fine. If you just get too hungry, try those slim fast shakes that control hunger, but the best thing is just to eat a snack like fruit or something.

Candace C
Perhaps a better approach would be to exercise and plan your meals accordingly so that you are eating 3 meals and two snacks. Schedule the snacks before your work-out (protein shake, half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, trail mix) to carry you through your workout and then have something after your work out (an apple, yogurt). That way you shouldnt be famished after your workout and since you are eating every 3-4 hours, your metabolism should be balanced so you dont eat too much.

Good luck!

HadesDaughter
If you get a weight supplement, some thing that has protein in it, that helps reduce your appetite and gives you plenty of energy, almost any weight supplement can help you with your appetite

answerman
you have to eat healthier, that is all. All of the excercise in the world won't help a bit if you are cramming your body full of junk.

irish eyes
Try to eat alot of salads and drink alot of water to fill up when you feel the hunger

Sonora M
Rating
Drink more water. Sometimes dehydration feels like hunger.

mikearion
Rating
Get rid of all the junk food in your life. Stick with nuts, fruits and vegetables. Nuts are very filling and will keep you from eating other bad things. Don't eat processed foods and if you do only very sparingly.

true blue
Choose foods that are high in protein. They give you energy for your work out and keep you fuller longer.

evanesheaven1985
Rating
Lay off the fatties....eat before you excersice...and lets say, eat three times a day...and for a snack after excersise or dinner...a fruit and water or natural juice....NOT some Doritos and a Pepsi

Jason R
Rating
Do you become dizzy or lightheaded when you workout? I'm asking because sometimes diabetics can have these symptoms along with increased appetite after exercise. If so you might want to see a doctor. However, it is more likely your just like everyone else and need more "fuel" when starting a new exercise program. Try drinking lots of water throughout the day and during your workouts. This can curb your appetite. Also try to limit your carb and fat intake for 5 to 6 days then have one day of eating whatever you want. Repeat this cycle as long as it helps to loose the weight. This will trick your body into becoming a fat burning machine. Hope this is helpful.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Terms of use - Privacy Policy