Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

What is YOUR favourite way to exercise/ workout????
I love running! outdoors or on my treadmill, and dancing!!!...

How much water should I drink at a minimum each day? Does swimming tone your body?
I am swimming and doing exercises in my pool to burn calories but will this also tone my body? After the first few days my body was pretty sore.

How much water should I drink in ounces per ...

Is 109 pounds fat for a female 5foot3?

Am i overweight?
im 5'5 and 115 and a teenager is that ...

Iam 15 years old i weigh 120 and i want to weigh 333 thats my favorite number is it safe to use steriods ...?
just want to know is it safe to use steroids or get muscles naturaly by working out and benching OR do ...

I am 13 and very overweight, please help.?
I am 13, 5'3" and 180 pounds. I gain so much weight so quickly.

In 4th grade I was 4'9 and 96 pounds.
In 5th grade I was 4'10 and 123 pounds
in 6th grade I ...

How skinny should you be to wear a bikini?
my stomach isnt the skinniest thing out there (atleast i think) i am 100 lbs and 4'10 is that skinny enough? please dont say its wether you feel comfertable or not, i want your opinion, if not ...

Why do people make fun of fat people when they are out exercising?
i was out running today, and 3 separate individuals laughed or made noises or yelled rude things, the only one i remember was "hey, why you running, "with a big laugh. it seems to me all my ...

Is it OK for a 13 year old to lift weights?
Well I am 13 years old, turning 14 soon.
I have been lifting weights for over 3 months now.
I lift 80 pounds maximum and people keep telling me to stop because I will not grow (My height is ...

Am i overweight?
I'm 5'7 and 164 pounds. Don't answer this rudely. If you planned on it, sorry to ruin it for you. I'm just wondering how chubby i am. cuz i think i am - my friends say im not. are ...

Do guys just like skinny girls?
I'm not fat but I'm not skinny either I'm 13 and I'm worried that guys only like skinny girls because in mags they say that is it true?...

Should fat kids sleep?

I am a 14 year old female..weigh 117 adn i am like 5 ft.....am i overweight?

POLL- If I don't eat for a week, how much would i loose?
I am 13. I am 5"2, and I weigh 116.5 pounds..ahh
I am a gymnast, and I workout 4 hours a day. I do have a lot of muscle but 116.5 pounds is A LOT. If I don't eat for 1 week, how much ...

Am I anorexic???
I'm 14 and have problems with my weight. I'm 5'3" (156 cm) and I'm 84 pounds (6 stone 39 kg) Does this mean I'm fat??? I really want to loose some weight and I can'...

A sensible choice for snacking before bed?
I always get really hungry before I go to bed I know that eating late is the worst time and makes you gain weight easily overnight. Im getting tired of eating fruit and yoghurt. Are there any other ...

Is drinking coffee safe for teenagers?
i heard that drinking coffee will stunt a teenager's growth but is that true and i mean teenagers age 13-19....

How do I stop eating?
Like, I want to see what it's like to not eat anything for a few days, but I don't know how to explain it to my mom and how to actually get the willpower to do it......

I am 14 and am 5'7.5 and weigh 135, is this average or underweight or what?haha?

Made fun of for being skinny?
i know im skinny...i just turned 13 in november..and i weigh 78 lbs..im 4'11? my friends and people call me anorexic or whatever and they dont know how it hurts and i barely ever make fun of the ...

A Beauty for a Beast
Shouldn't the pressures to be thin be seen as a good thing?
Alot of people nowadays go on about how there's pressure on people to be thin, ( and maybe i'm just being stupid ) but isn't it a good thing? I mean being obese or just plain overweight is unhealthy, and can lead to serious health problems, so shouldn't we encourage this pressure.
Not that i mean to encourage anorexia or people starving themselves to become waffer thin, but if the pressure is going to get people to see they are too fat, and make them want to diet and lead a more healthy lifestyle by eating healthy food and doing more exercise, why does society think it's such a bad thing?
Additional Details
That's what i'm saying waffer thin IS bad, as a 5'1'', 110lb, female in my teens i'm between a size 8 and 10 and wouldn't it be better if models we see in mags were more around 8/10?
And also emotional excuses in some situations may be valid but in my opinion 50% of this is rubbish.
I went through major issues when i was a 10year old kid when my father died and bullying in primary but i never started eating unhealthy amounts to "make the pain go away"

Lilly J
Rating
I know what you mean but I still think we shouldn't pressure anybody about being thin people can be fat and not be overweight and not have ay health problems, I think we should just stop encouraging people to get thin and just encourage them to get a healthy weight. We should encourage sports, and healthy habits that's the solution: stop showing pictures of people superduperthin and telling everybody they're perfect, and I'm not saying show some obese girl and tell everybody she's perfect but everybody should know that what makes them perfect is their healthy weight. So instead of pressuring people to get stick thin we should pressure them to be a healthy weight.

Ktloop
Rating
yes but there is pressur to be TOO thin, the average person is a healthy weight at between a size 12 and 14 (UK) not the stick thin size zero (UK 4) that has had so much press recently . this sort of size and weight is much more unhealthy than being slightly overweight, girls periods stop, digetive system fails and the whole body can shut down. Yes we should be encouraged to be healthy and fit, but not to starve ourselves.

sillythebard
Pretty doesn't have to mean being 5'7" tall and 125 pounds. To days American media seems to present this to the public. Healthy doesn't mean anorexic. There are charts that they put out that say what your weight should be. I wouldn't say you have to follow the charts to a tee, but they are a good guideline to what is close to healthy.

The link i have in my sources is the current one. The height and weight model has changed a few times.

One of the issues is, that this height and weight doesn't take in consideration of muscle vs. fat. Because by this chart, someone like Sylvester Stalone is fat. You can plainly look at him and say. He isn't fat, but by the governments standards he is.

Did you know that the movie industry used to make some actresses be bulimic just to make weight for rolls. They were told if they put on to much weight they would be kicked off. It isn't healthy to have someone drop to much weight at one time. It also isn't healthy to tell someone not to eat. It isn't healthy to overeat either.

My answer to you is no. You shouldn't make people feel they have to be thin. You should try to make people understand what healthy is.

SH2007
Rating
Hi,

I have an eating disorder..bulimia....and people should realise that eating disorders aren't always about being thin but sometimes due to other mental or emotional issues

I understand what your saying..but pressure to be thin can cause people who are already thin to doubt if they are thin enough..and who's to say one way or the other really? Being thin is an image, it's not a health statement.

x

Raven Arc-en-ciel
Rating
Less of the be 10 pounds thin, and lose 100000 pounds in one week.

More of the everyone is different and you need to be the weight you look best and feel most comfortable in.More of the lose 1 or 2 pounds in one week by exersise and lessning the junk food.

14, 5'4, 100 pounds, I hate how everyones trying to be super thin. Do it naturally, don't look at someone who doesn't care about you, be yourself.
THAT is what people need. Celeberties don't care about you!, So why should you care about them? those people you see on Mags they are made thin by digitally editing. :] yeah.

All for healthy lifestyles.

Paige
NO WAY!! The pressure to be thin is horrible. I think that people SHOULD be thin, yes, but still healthy looking, a woman needs curves! ( ps im really thin im not saying this cuz im fat) it's also driving dumb teenage girls and really young girls to think that they have to be that way or else they're ugly. Thats when bulimia and anorexia start happening. It's completely unhealthy. I think the media should stop saying you HAVE to be thin and people should start focusing on just eating healthy and being active, not starved. ( and have you seen some of these models? ewwwww)

x man h
yes it!!! as long as your heathly and like

Patti C
Rating
The only problem with the pressures to be thin is that the standards are too thin. When someone 5'8" wears a size 2, that is very thin. Most of us could never achieve that and still eat a healthy diet.

As far as the pressures to NOT be overweight, yes that is a good thing.

Charmaine
Rating
Both obesity and anorexia are the extremes.. we need to re-educate to be healthy and slim not thin ! Extreme thinness and obesity are both dangerous. What really annoys me is the media chasing around after thin models and actresses praying for a 'fat' photo.

Celeste
Rating
I think the pressure people refer to is to be like size 0...the thing its always one extreme to the other; overweight or underweight. One day there is a program on about obesity and another day there is one about anorexics...

wenzen96
Rating
My personal opinion of this is that 95% of people on TV or in Hollywood have a great body. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a great body, but I think there's this underlying pressure especially in women that if they don't look like that then something is wrong with them. I'm a small person but feel pressured to be perfect because that is all that is represented unless you're watching a weight loss commercial where people are somewhat overweight. It's great to be healthy and to strive not to be obese because that's not a good thing. I just think we've been "brainwashed" to believe if you're not perfect then you should be, and I think that is unfortunate.

kez
Rating
its not bad to be slim atall, im very slim naturaly, but i also follow a healthy diet dont drink much alcohol and keep fairly fit, these are good examples to follow, however, i think people worry about young girls developing eating disorders striving for something which is unobtainable , so long as people are fit and healthy i do not think weight should be the issue.

wp_ashro7
Rating
at my last checkup (in march) i was as healthy as i could be. and believe it or not i weigh 190! i am a plus size model and my health has never been better. the reason people go on and on about it is because anorexia and balemia is not just a problem for teenagers and adults... its ceaping into the minds of children as young as 10( my sis for example, who is 11). you dont have to be a certain weight to be healthy- people have different metabolisms and everything. i feel as good as i did when i was a skinny little girl... and my doc says im still as healthy. you may look at me as fat, but hey, im happy and healthy- just as much as you are. check out my myspace if ya dont believe me... myspace.com/rockababy74

Hermy
I see where your coming from but this can lead to anorexia it is most likely to be inevitable. But it would be a good thing if it only encouraged people to become healthy instead of going from unhealthy past healthy to unhealthy again. People want to be more like who they see in the media and more often than not they are size 0 style so i don't see it as a good thing.

♥Alexis ♥
Well I think it puts a lot of pressure on obese people an that's really good, but America takes it a step further and that's why there are so many really skinny people. America is just way too unhealthy.

TwiggySnakebitez
Rating
Actually there are now more coverage on eating disorders which only affects about 2.5% of the US and obesity about 50% so they want to make obesity seem more "healthy" than eating disorders when its actually about the same (not the same, just that they both have heart problems and such) grab a magazine and anorexia will have more pages than obesity and that needs to be stopped immediatly. I like my size 0 models and my plus models as well just leave them both alone because we are all real, we just make different choices with our habits.

TomSp
Rating
well it could be seen as a good thing, sure, but only if people know when to stop. Many people see themselves as not slim while others may see them as slim. different people have different views

sandraseigle
Rating
It's a bad thing because there will always be impressionable young girls and boys that won't understand that thin isn't neccesarilly healthy. There's also the factor that 99% of people in the world are REALLY insecure, so when there's a pressure to be thin and "perfect," there are more and more anorexics instead of healthy, well balanced people. I think there SHOULD be pressure for being HEALTHY, but there should also be better education on health & nutrition, and ideal body weights for specific heights, and how much is too much, or not enough. I see what you're saying, and no it's not stupid, but there has to be a sane balance somewhere.

The biggest issue should be helping people love themselves, regardless of what they look like.

dover56dover
It is not a question of being thin, it is all about people being their correct weight for their height/size, one can still have a variety as long it is in moderation and exercise is undertaken regularly.

nobody s
hey...if i was a blithering fata-s-s i would talk all bad about the pressures of thin and the unhealthyness of it as well...but because i am thin, and i maintain it through a healthy lifestyle i can only agree with you...

you see people like to be right...so if your fat your gonna jump on the current bandwagon and try to be right and try to rationalize, 'well better to be a fatty than be anorexic'

so yeah thin is harder, and thin means you actually move around now and then, thin means you actually make a choice between better tasting and fatening, or healthy and not as great tasting...or even harder for the obese, thin means that if you eat a meal, you actually need to know when you have eaten enough and when to push away from the buffet...

lucyenyc
Being a healthy weight is a good thing but having pressure put on you to look like models and celebrities isn't. We live in a world where if you don't look like asupermodel then your not acceptable which is wrong

missi
Rating
the pressure to be thin is one thing and the pressure to eat healthy is another.

andy86
Rating
haha " a waffer theen mint" you reminded me of that

Mom26g
Rating
Two reasons, one is for the person who is too thin, or who will try to lose weight at any cost (anorexia, bulemia, or just unhealthy eating habits like skipping breakfast).
The other is for people who are overweight and are unable to lose the weight. It's not like people WANT to be obese. Making them feel bad about themselves is not the way to encourage healthy changes in their lives. This social pressure makes them feel bad, which results in more bad habits. A better way to help motivate people is to encourage good health and fitness, not criticizing someone's size.

Emilyy<3
i think the encouragement not to be obese is a good thing.
but what about the people who are in the middle. you wouldn't look at them and say 'shes fat' but she thinks she is because of the stick thin models. if there were medium sized models. then...it would be healthy.

Bexs
Rating
It is dangerous for your health to be too thin or too fat - too thin is not healthier for you than too fat!. People should be encouraged to be healthy, eat a balanced diet and take exercise.

bmac
Well, if there was a happy medium, yes, the world would be great.

Ryan's mom
Because people take it too far. Actresses should not be held up as a good role model because most of them starve themselves to fit into a size 0 dress for the Oscars. That is just plain lunacy. Also, it depends on bone structure. Someone that has a large frame would look idiotic being stick thin more than someone that has a small frame. People just need to leave others alone. It doesn't hurt you if someone else has a few extra pounds.

I'm not telling you my name
Rating
It depends.... Yes, we do want people to maintain a healthy weight, but many times the media provokes a sense of "girls, you have to look like models to be worth something." And frankly, I DO NOT support that.

Waterbaby
Rating
The pressure is to be thin, not healthy! Everyone's healthy is different. I feel best at 140 lbs (I'm 5'3), which puts me at a size five with no fat hanging over my jeans. My SIL likes to be that, but she is a good three inches taller than me. For some people, 140 is obese! Other people my height and weight are formed much different. They couldn't fit a size 5, more like a ten. It's their body shape.

Health should never be determined by weight, but overall good health. I get under 140, and I feel sickly. I'm not 'big-boned' either. I'm athletic. I think that the real push should be to eat healthy, and who cares about the wieght, because if you eat healthy, the weight will be down anyway.

Models are size 4's, and I find them odd-looking. They are so bony that they'd snap. I'd understand if they were short, but they are not. In the old days, fat was looked upon as healthy. A person wouldn't have to worry about starving todaeath if they had fat on them, and skinny people would by things to make them LOOK fatter, or else they were looked down upon. It's odd how time changes things.

sadie 69
there is a difference between pressure to be healthy and pressure to be thin, if your pressured to lead a healthylifestyle say exercise and eat well then regardless of your size you may still be healthy , a size 12 -14 can still be a very healthy size. however a pressure to be thin denotes sizes below size 6-8, and as low as a uk size 4 (size 0 usa) which is extremely unhealthy as you are aware.....society today has us believe that thin is beautiful and fat isnt. quite right to believe that someone who is very overweight and does no exercise should be encouraged to be healthier ...i hope that makes sense it does to me but im not always that good at explaining.....

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Thursday, February 5, 2015
Terms of use - Privacy Policy