Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diet & Fitness
Health Discussion Forum

Were you hppier after you lost weight?
was all the hard work worth it?...

I'm on a diet, but can I have a pack of crisps today.....?
I started my diet on Monday and I haven't eaten any bread, chocolates, rice, crisps or chips since then. But I'm really craving for some crisps now...Please help. Thank you for your ...

Ive recently started working out and drinking lots of well guess what ive gained 5lbs im crying here help me?
i dont want to give up but i feel i ...

How much weight should I lose.?
Ive always been a big person even though no one in my family really is. I am 6"0 and i weigh 219 pounds i have a good amount a muscle and im 15 years old. How much weight do I need to lose to be ...

Is it possible to smoke and still get fit?
I have joined a football team and have been smoking for about a year....

I am a 14 year old . I weigh 125 pounds. I am a size 3 in jeans, and a size 5 in dresses.... Am I fat?

Diets for 12 yr old 5'6 150 pds?
i need to lose weight so i want to go on a diet. my goal is to lose 30 pds. I exercise every weekday for an hour. What r some good diets? also these are a list of foods i DO NOT like

eggs<...

How much do you think i weigh ?
im 5ft 3 and btw the outfit was as a joke for a party , i wouldnt normally dress like that !

http://i22.photobucket.c Details

What is an alternative to drinking water? If any.?
I need to drink plenty of water because of the amount of exercise I do. Also, it is good to drink several glasses a day. I can drink plenty of water when I'm thirsty (such as after the gym) but ...

I feel so fat can someone help me?
i`m not a fat person.
i just have a fat stomache and my thighs are flabby.
i need to know of some exercise and/or food/pills to flatten my tummy and tone my thighs.tell me something that u ...

Is it healthy to eat vegetables as a main meal,like dinner?
Iam trying to eat healthier and cut out red meats and lose weight.Iam not sure about eating all vegetables for a meal....

How do i help my Mum lose weight?
I'm really worried about my mum, she has been overweight all my life and i really want to help her. i've asked her to find out tell me how much she weighs but she won't do that because ...

Im 12 years old, 123 pounds, 5' 1", And FAT!!! what should i do?
IDK Im ...

I am 5'7" and 98 lbs..... I feel fat in the mirror but then I see pics & I think I am skinny..do I have an ED?
I will feel normal sized or slightly big in the mirror.....but then I will see pictures of myself and think I am skinny.....does this mean I have an ED?...

How often do you do it?
Eat meals...are you more of a 3 square meals a day, or 5 smaller meals?...

How many pounds can you loose in 4 weeks by starving?
please no mess i really wanna know....

Is it true that...?
If you suffer from bulimia, even if you're still at a healthy weight, your periods stop?

Don't worry, just curious!

Did i eat to much today?? ?
i am battling anorexia and recently ovrcoming it.
I had
special k granola bar and banana for breakfast

1/2 a bagel & strawberry yogurt for lunch

i went to the ...

What is my weight supposed to be? I am 5'9 and 13?

Additional Details
I am girl i am okayy in looking weight i don't really have a belly. i weigh right now 126...

What [type of] foods keep you full longer than others (but ones that taste good ;] lol)?
im not obese or anything i just eat when im bored for some reason or when I just have nothing else to do..

its so annoying i dont wanna gain weight!

im thinking that maybe if i ...

khushii
Is the Aitkins Diet safe?
Does any have serious objections to this diet? Are there any short term or long term side-affects Ishould worry about?

PG
I think not!!
Its not natural for the body to have no carbs.. No atkins its too strict.

abbey356
no. you'd be better off eatting just fats.
both red meats and fats do cause
long term problems. carbs are
what we need for energy. i don't
know why anyone would create a
diet and completley take them out.
it's a neccessity.

April
Rating
This is a safe diet for SHORT term, not long term. Short term you could loose weight fast and it probably has a few health benefits, but long term your organs can get messed up and start failing and there is no continued weight loss for long term. My husbands aunt has been on this for years now and she is relatively young and has been healty, but now has already had trouble with her gallbladder and other organs. Recent studies have shown that it can also result in kidney stones and heart disease. People who do this long term do not get enough carbohydrate to supply the tissues with blood sugar. That is why the organs start to malfunction. Restricting the intake of whole grain bread and cereals, fruit and vegetables does not equal a healthy diet and the absence of these food groups may increase the risk of heart disease and cancer.

Ocean
short term side effects are
bad breath, tiredness, weakness, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. Constipation may also occur as a consequence of avoiding typically high-fibre foods such as fruit, veg, beans, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholegrain breakfast cereals and jacket potatoes.
long term
may increase the risk of heart disease, there are also concerns that the unbalanced nature of the Atkins diet may lead to nutritional deficiencies, which cause health problems in later life. For example, poor intakes of bone-building calcium (found in dairy products) may increase the risk of osteoporosis, while poor intakes of antioxidant nutrients (found in fruit and veg) have been linked with a host of health problems ranging from heart disease and cancer to premature ageing and cataracts. Some experts are also worried that high intakes of protein may cause kidney problems or weaken bones.

Andy
I'm afraid my common sense alarm goes off on that one. With the exception of being utterly and morbidly obese (I'm talking like 500 lbs), losing that much weight in such a short time is not healthy. Anything that doesn't involve exercise and eating reasonable portions of reasonably healthy food raises the red flags for me.

I mean seriously think about the concept of it. "Don't bother to exercise. Eat all the red meat, eggs, cheese, etc you want but you better stay away from most fruits and some veggies with carbs." Sounds pretty silly huh?

KathyS
It's not safe long term. That has been proven.

alrightyyy_then
yep it may make u thin quickly but the side affects are awful. eating all that fatty stuff is in no way good for u! clogging up ur arteries. everything in moderation and exercise is the best diet than all these fashion ones.

panthurr
As a lifestyle, it is not recommended. Even as a short-term fix or helper, it can be really hard on the body. It can really increase your cholesterol and arterial clogging issues due to its free reign with fats and meats. I've heard they've moderated that portion to be more healthy, though. However, the extended period of very low carbohydrate intake is bad for your body. Your body needs carbs to properly function! If left in this situation for too long (over a week), you can go into ketosis. This will result in you not feeling well and can even lead to hair loss and health issues. I would recommend South Beach or the Zone. They are very similar and emphasize balance and healthy nutrition.

joecseko
Rating
Absolutely.It was created by a cardiologist and even though you eat alot of fat on this diet there's a very good chance that you'll improve your cholesterol score as well as lose weight.It's important to point out that this diet is very exacting and even slight variations can diminish it's effectiveness.I can't wait for everyone to start screaming that you NEED to eat carbohydrates.Here's some news for all of those people.YOU'RE WRONG.Your body can produce glucose through gluconeogenisis from any of the other two macronutrients.Follow the program.It's great.I use something very similar after a bulking cycle of eating to decrease my body fat though I've always been lean.And I don't think Dr Atkins said anything about the diet having a positive effect on traumatic brain injuries so I wouldn't blame his death on the diet.

Paulette
Rating
My husband lost 60 lbs on this diet. It gets the bad carbs out of the diet and eliminates the cravings. We actually still get carbs in all kinds of vegetables. Just not the starchy kind.

Robert Adkins died (if I remember correctly)
After slipping on ice and cracking his head on the street. I think he was 72.

So I am fairly sure he did not die of anything related to his diet.

T W
Rating
The South Beach diet is a much better diet. If you are going to lower your card intake try it.

ShaneA
Rating
the Atkins diet is safe and proven. however, some people continue to use the Atkins diet even when they're fine and it could make them really thin. so essentially you have to use the Atkins diet periodically when needed.

Bassetnut
It's absolutely safe and far healthier than the Standard American Diet. I intend to follow Atkins for life.

If anyone says you "need" carbs, let them know that there are NO diseases of carbohydrate deficiency. However, not enough fat or protein will cause serious problems.

If you're thinking of it as a "diet" that you will go off when you're "done", you will probably be disappointed in the long term. Like EVERY other diet, if you stop it and return to unhealthy habits you will regain the weight. This is intended to be a lifestyle change. The good news is that the food is delicious and you're not perpetually starving.

Atkins promotes eating whole, natural foods rather than processed ones. He stresses that you should not go hungry, you should eat until satisfied, but not stuffed. It is NOT a license to gorge yourself. He also stresses that exercise is not optional. He says "If you are not exercising, you are not doing Atkins".

Make sure you get plenty of water and eat your veggies.

oilman11977
I personally prefer the South Beach diet. It has really helped me understand the benefits of "the right carbs" and I have lost a lot of weight and I feel great.

miu miu
it's pretty safe. i actually like the south beach diet better. the first two weeks might be tough but the selection of food and diet is much better than atkins. south beach actually makes you eat healthier than primarily focusing on "all protein"

Tarique M
safe

discostu
the guy that came up with it slipped on the ice and died of a head injury. it's safe if you drink plenty of water. read the book or go to the web site and follow the instructions exactly

tfweaver83
I like the South Beach Diet better. The food is so good and you can still eat carbs after the second week IN MODERATION. It reverses the way your body "think"s about food and changes your eating habits for life. Plus I love that South beach and Kraft teamed up to put great products in the grocery store. The frozen lunches and entrees are good for people on the run. Hope this helps, Good Luck.

Lissy
lol - i thought atkins fell down stairs and died? if that's the case, as long as you stay away from stairs, you should be ok. :P

Das_Klavier
Nope, my Dad does it and he's never been healthier. It's safe.

tatyana
No. Fat is the most abundant source of stored energy in the body, to completely burn fat, a small amount of cabs is needed. When cabs is in short supply, fat cannot be broken down by aerobic metabolism to yield energy. Instead the liver converts them into Ketones. The ketones are used as an energy source and excesses are excreted. However, if ketones production is high, such as when person is consuming a low-carb weight-loss diet, more ketones are produced than can be excreted.
Mild ketosis, such as that which occurs with weight-loss diet, causes headaches, a dry mouth, foul-smelling breath, in some cases, reduction in appetite. High ketone levels can incease the acidity of the blood so much that normal body processes are disrupted. Coma and even death may occur.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy