If a woman is 5'4'' and 170 lbs, exactly how obese is she?Would she be chubby or closer to disturbingly chunky

P.S. I appreciate all sorts of body types and do not discriminate against larger ladies...I'm just wondering....

P.S. I appreciate all sorts of body types and do not discriminate against larger ladies...I'm just wondering.

cali_icedragon
Rating
ok well lets see...umm 12 inches in a foot.......64/170= about 3 pounds? umm i guess..she would be slim/slender and mabye a atad chubby but still not fat or chunky..not model slim though

sweetmg
She would be very, very over weight. Since she's 5'4' her ideal weight would be about 100 to 120.

EmTay21
That sounds like a lot of woman. I would say that she is on the chunky side. Look up Body Mass Index and type in height and weight. She has a BMI of 29.2 that means she is overweight and borderline obese.

tewarienormy
Rating
she's about 50 pounds overweight

tessa g
Rating
about 50 lbs over her ideal weight for that height.

White Polar Bear
Rating
Muscle weighs more than fats. If the person has a big frame and is into exercise to build muscle, it won't be "disturbingly chunky", but yet, it's better to lose, say, 40 lbs. :)

mattysmommy2004
Here check out her Body Mass Index:

https://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/tl/cl/bmi/bmi.jsp

You just put in her height and weight and if the BMI is over 30%, then she's overweight. Normal is between 20-25%.

luckiistarr4
Rating
Just lovingly chubby :)

beverly B
Rating
she is no where in the obese range but when shes gona hit over 200 then she will be considered obese. shes just over-weight for now..

hi
i would say she would be pretty large..i think the ideal weight for 5'4'' is about 120-135 pounds maybe a little bigger or smaller depending on the woman, but 170 is much much bigger..so i think she would be rather large..according to BMI, she is obese.

hawndawg
obese is a clinical condition defined as more than 30% overweight. so see wht the normal weight for a woman that age and height is and see if she exceeds it by 30%.

5'4" should be OK for up to about 130 lbs (I am guessing) So if she is 47 lbs over that, then she is probably just a tiny bit below obese. just a guess. If 125 lbs is normal she may be a bit over the line.

Borat
She's about 40 pounds overweight. Here's a chart showing the Height / Weight Obestity Chart.

http://www.annecollins.com/dieting/height-weight-table.htm

janice
Why would it matter HOW obese, chubby or chunky she is. It's all extra fat...none of it's healthy.

yo mama
It really depends on where she carries her weight,
all in the stomach: she would look fat
in the boobs and butt, she would look good

RetroBunny69
5'4" 170lbs is almost obese but not yet. You can check it yourself here.
http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

shanhelp
Rating
This woman has a Body Mass Index of 29.2, and is considered to be very overweight, borderline obese.

You can use the many Body Mass Index calculators on the web to figure that out.

phl_millard
a woman 5'4'' should weigh between 111 and 146.

morshmi
Rating
Percentage of body fat and how muscular she is will most effectively determine whether someone is overweight for their height.
Muscle weighs more than fat.
I had a body fat percentage of 8% and I weighed 150 at 5' 6.5"
I was considered overweight by the traditional standards, but as a cyclist I was fine. It was mostly leg muscle.
Don't go by the traditional scale.

Liddy is Lost
It's very overweight, but not quite obese. HTH : )

teacherintheroom
Rating
Obesity is a term used to describe body weight that is much greater than what is considered healthy. There are many ways to determine if a person is obese, but experts believe that a person's body mass index (BMI) is the most accurate measurement of body fat for children and adults.

Adults with a BMI greater than 30 are considered obese. Adults with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are considered overweight. There are exceptions. For example, an athlete may have a higher BMI but not be overweight.

Nearly two-thirds of the United States population is overweight. Anyone more than 100 pounds overweight is considered morbidly obese.
Go here:
http://dftools.ivillage.com/healthtools/calc_iw.cfm

rftdwg
Rating
A women of 5' 4" at 170 lbs would be considered obese by a doctor, not morbidly obese. Enough over weight that it increases her risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers. A healthy weight would be around 140-150

trippyturtlette
Rating
Heck before i got pregnant i was 175 and 5'7 and was considered over weight. (i carry it in my chest and butt)

BRAT
Yeah...that would be slightly chubby. I'm 5'5 and I have weighed 160 before and I was getting a little chunky there, so what you asked would definitely be a little overweight. But not real, real bad or anything.

Lilly
Chunky!

artemisaodc1
Rating
I think it's important to look at the BMI (as mentioned in other comments), but also to evaluate the person's overall health. Does this woman have other risk indicators for diabetes or heart disease? Is she under regular care of a physician? Does she exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet?

The comment about the bodybuilder and the farm worker ring true. We do not have enough information to give an absolute answer here, but in general if this woman is not extremely muscular, she is likely endangering her health with a BMI of 29.2.

AtiaoftheJulii
It doesn't matter as long as you like her.... And to answer your question it would depend on her body type.

ugottafriend4life
I am 5' 5" and 163 lbs. I am approximately 20 lbs overweight. So I would say that someone 5' 4" and 170 would be approximately 30 lbs overweight. That's not necessarily obese though...depends on the build of the person.

A_Kansan
Rating
You know, I met a weight lifter woman, in the sport we call them freaks, she was 5'4" and wieghed 170 lbs., and she was not chunky at all.

Something is wrong when a guy looks at a woman and says, "I wish I had a body like hers." ;(( ;(( ;(( LOL

I've seen a farm woman that weighed that and wasn't fat at all. I've seen others that were over weight for their frame.

Sam
So apparently, nobody here has seen an obese person before because you all seem to think this woman is an ad for pre-op liposuction.

My best friend is 5'3" & she weighs 190 & she looks like nothing more than slightly chunky. I myself am also 5'3" & I weigh 140 & when I have told people, they told me I looked more around 125.

She's not morbidly obese, although by definition, she is considered obese. I'd say she's "significantly overweight" if I had to call it something. The average healthy weight for a woman of 5'4" is between 120 & 130 lbs. So she's about 40 lbs overweight. I'd say if she was 200 lbs +, it'd be a little more noticeable on her since she's short.

It also depends on where all of her weight is. Some people gain weight in different areas of their body than others & therefore, they carry it differently & look heavier than some people who weigh more than them or vice versa. The reason you can't tell that my friend who weighs 190 at 5'3" is "fat," is because most of the weight that she's carrying is in her boobs & butt, which is a good thing. Not to mention, she works out quite a bit, so a lot of her weight is in muscle. Same goes for me. I weigh 140 at 5'3", but I don't look it. Not by a long shot. I carry most of my weight in my butt & a little in my thighs. So I look about average weight.

Basically, she probably doesn't look as "huge" as everyone else is making her out to be. Don't listen to them. She isn't that big.