I'm 13 years oldand I want to lose weight??what do U think??

Should I a)just take walks(in the the morning b/4 skool and after my HW is done in the afternoon,eat the three full(but mot oversized,I know) meals a day(healthy meals)play sports w/ my br...

Should I

a)just take walks(in the the morning b/4 skool and after my HW is done in the afternoon,eat the three full(but mot oversized,I know) meals a day(healthy meals)play sports w/ my brothers and sisters quite often,get enough sleep, and all that kinda stuff or...

a diet?

if U think a diet is what I should do ,then what is a healthy deit plan for my age??plez help, much appreciated!!
Additional Details
first 3 answers I get 2-night depends on whatI do 2-marrow!!

WhitneyR
Rating
Are you actually overweight? Or are you just uncomfortable with you appearance? If you're actually overweight, then go to your doctor and he will tell you what kind of diet is right for you. And if you simply self concious, and FEEL fat..then get active. Excercising regularly will make you feel better about yourself. And try not to 'restrict' your diet. That can just lead to overeating. Your 13, and your body is nowhere near done. Just eat when you're hungry, and stop as soon as you feel full. Don't sit around all day..and you'll be fine.
P.S. I have no idea what you look like. You could be huge, or a rail. It doesn't matter...you need to love yourself. I'm sure there's something beautiful about you envied by tons of people. Embrace your inner beauty. Fat or thin, be proud of who you are.

tacogirl4959
Rating
do letter A, but instead of eating 3 large meals, try eating 6 smaller meals a day, you need diet and exercise to lose weight, just diet is unhealthy, good luck

shahrzad29
How much do you weigh?

~90-110 is fine. but over that, you should take walks, lay off sugar and sodium, eat smaller dishes, participate alot in PE, stretch, run, and play sports.

Mrs.Gaddis
Rating
I think, number one, that unless your weight is making you unhealthy, then you shouldn't let the media make you think that you aren't beautiful just as you are. As long as you are eating right, and taking care of yourself, then you should not be worried about being thin. You are only thirteen, and your body will probably make alot more changes before you reach adulthood. You might lose weight, you might not, but please, do not go on a diet. Eat right, be active, and be safe.

Spend your time having fun.... and enjoying your youth.

mom of a boy and girl
Rating
If you walk everyday for at least 30minutes for the rest of your life, you will be in good shape,,,,just kidding...but at least 3x a week (4 if you can,),,while it is daylight and find a friend if possible,,,,,Keep in mind that that means no more fast food..........Cut way back on sugar, sweets, carbs.
mainly breads ...Start eating healthy while a teen....Learn the good habits while young...Fruits and vegetables are a must whenever you want them...Salads are great at lunch or with dinner, use 1Tbls. dressing no more, mix........drink plenty of water most of day, no more soft drinks(pop)useless calories you can treat yourself to 1 pop on sat, or sun, not both days..
try drinking apple juice,cranberry juice.(.OJ in the AM).Milk on cereal ....Whole milk cause your bones need it...........1/2 cup.
Eat meats like Turkey, Baked chicken,ckn in microwave works also,steak,( lean gr, chuck once in a while(every 3 weeks) make a cheeseburger......If you do this every 3 then it will give you something to look forward to....a treat.)
slice some vegetables or use mixed frozen and sprinkle on a little garlic powder, or , mixed with 1 Tbls of Canola oil(from now on) no other oil.....Whenever you want something sweet or something yu know you shouldn't have, do 25 sit-ups, or take a piece of fruit instead............and you can start to write in a journal the way your day went...That will keep you busy,,,,good luck hon
just try..it's all you can do but you have to want to do it. Try to look up good nutrition on the web......have a good one

Robert Miller 95670
Rating
Before starting a diet, you should talk to your family and doctor.
He/she will do a body mass index (fat to muscle ratio)
Height vs weight calculations.

Diet= what dependends on what you are eating now and what you are drinking.
Exercise what you doing to stay in shape, healthy and active

Carlos D
At your age you do not really have to worry about losing weight just do not gain anymore. As you grow you body will "grow" into the weight. By trying to lose weight at the point in your development you make the situation worse because if you reduce your calorie intake you give you body less material to grow with and you stay small and fat. Unless you are really really overweight. Then you have plenty of fuel to grow with and you need to lose.

mr floppy
Rating
work out and dont eat atleast 4 hours before you go to sleep trust me that works

Smudgeward
Unless you're clinically obese this would be the worst age possible to set yourself up for eating disorders by dieting. Eat sensibly, get normal exercise, see what happens over the next few years. After all you might grow to 6 foot then you won't want to look skeletal.

houelwjhjk
Rating
you should start eating food that atleast does not have more than 4 grams of fat.

Jay M
Rating
Hi Caroline,
The best thing to do is to eat a good diet of three square meals a day. The walks will help, as will any additional exercise. Mainly to lose the weight and keep it off you want to be able to be comfortable with the process. If you are comfortable...you can make it a life habit, so make it a good habit. Staving yourself won't help because you will be hungry, and it isn't something that is healthy for you. At 13 you need vitamins and nutrients to grow strong and healthy, so eat a healthy diet, but watch portions and snacks. Fad diets are called fad diets because they go in and out of style... sometimes causing yoyo syndrome type weight loss then gain, so be careful, and eat healthy. Keeping active will keep you healthy too. Find a waling partner, so it will be easier. Good luck !

Douglas R
You got to get up and do something just taking walks don't work.You got to work hard to loose weight you are only 13 it gets harder to lose weight the older you get.Look at your mother and Father are they over weight some time it is the way we are born ed with a fat gene that make it hard to lose weight.You can go on a diet go to a nutritionist to see what a 13 year old girl needs to eat.You got to get up and go out and play ,don't set in the house and watch TV and play games or talk on the telephone

DL
When I was about 11 or 12, I was in an awkward/hormonal stage... the "ugly duckling" stage as some call it... all that means is that your body is adjusting to changes that happen normally, so most teens go through this.

I was a little chunky & I was unhappy with that, so from the time I was about 11-13 years old, I started to do simple exercises with my mom & it worked! I did a bunch of crunches, side bends, and leg lifts. I also went skating every weekend with my friend, so that helped too.

You should always check with your doctor before starting any exercise program. Remember, your body is still growing so you need to be careful especially if you want to include any kind of resistance or weight training.

Here's a simple solution as well (but easier said than done)... eat lots of foods with protein & cut out the sugar and carbohydrates. Remember, high protein, low carb.

When and if you do start a new routine, give yourself some room to adjust and see results (about 6 months) & if you don't meet your goals, don't beat yourself up, just keep trying!

Hope this helps!

auds
Honestly, I don't think you should use the word diet at your age. You should just MOVE, anything that you can do to get your body moving. Make healthier food choices is a thing you can do, but I do not suggest doing a diet, not at your age at least.

pins11
i think that at your age you need to be very careful. i think that it is best to stay active. not diet. you still have a lot of changing going on in your body. and if you mess around with dieting you could be messing with other more important things. how much wieght are you talking about? at 13, you may just want to tone your muscles. try out for track and field.

just be careful and try to keep a good self image. remember that being skinny does not always mean healthy.

piyu
If you are serious about losing weight, the calories
in the food you eat should be less than the
energy you use. You will have to increase your
metabolic rate now, and plan your diet carefully.
Formulate your own weight loss plan and you will
lose weight faster. More details available at
http://tinyurl.com/m7ckx

angel
13 is a little too young to start a weight loss program since you still have a relatively high metabolism, but it's not too young to get in to a good diet and healthy eating habbits. don't bother too much on your weight at this age since it can easily be lost by just eating and exercising regularly. If you cut out junk and just eat balanced meals you'll be fine and if you exercise on top of that you can lose weight fast. plus if you don't gain any weight you may out grow it you still have more time to grow.

lori l
Rating
being that you are 13 yrs.old doesn't tell me much about how much your weight is.I think you first choices are good advice for any teenager to live by everyday. if none of those work for you, then you should probably go to have a doctor give you a physical to decide what would be the best for your health. you don't want to start any kind of diet that could ruin your health in the long run. take care, and good luck!

penguins
Rating
your 13 and you want to loose weight? just eat less.

DAZY M
If you are serious about losing weight, the calories
in the food you eat should be less than the
energy you use. You will have to increase your
metabolic rate now, and plan your diet carefully.
Formulate your own weight loss plan and you will
lose weight faster. More details available at
http://tinyurl.com/m7ckx

horns_joe
Rating
At this stage of your life you need to focus on developing the foundations of a healthy life. A diet is not a good idea. You're just too young. I think your first option is headed in the right direction, however, I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself there too. The keys for you getting into the kind of shape you want to be in is staying active (playing sports outside and walking occasionally are great ideas), and limiting your sugar intake. Avoid long periods of sitting around watching TV or looking around on-line, and when you're hungry go grab a piece of fruit instead of something sugary. Lastly, try not to eat two whole hours before bed. These are all good habits to form for a healthy life, and best of luck to you.

leena
Rating
Walks

earl16003
Diets are never healthy. I'm 13 too so I've been there. What you are doing is fine. Join a team at school or something.

bar
Rating
your to young to diet, just play with your freinds, run around , jump and play

deviant_queer
Rating
Dieting at your age could have potential longer term reprocussions, especially since you are probably still growing. It sounds like you have option A favored - and I say stick with that. Don't forget to carry some fruit, veggies, or nuts that aren't coated in stuff (like honey roasted) to snack on during the day if you get hungry.

EDIT: Also, (inspired by a few posts that came after mine) Be proactive and learn a bit about nutrition. "Fat" doesn't automatically mean bad. There are fats that you NEED in order to live, they are good fats such as polyunsaturated and monounsatruated fats (found in oils and nuts), omega 3 and omega 6 (found in fish and nuts). Almonds are a great source of fats, as are avocadoes. You body also NEEDS a small amount of saturated fat (which is naturally occuring, actually, in coconut and coconut milk). Saturated fat from dairy isn't inherently bad, either, but just be sure to watch how much cheese you eat (if you eat it) because it is rather high in saturated fat. Transfat is AWFUL for you. Essentially, the body doesn't know what to do with it so it kind of floats around in you, unprocessed (which is bad).

Carbs, despite the fad diets now, aren't really all that bad for you, either. Some people do benefit from a lower carb diet (as 150g a day or whatever the daily recommended value is is a bit high, I think) but don't completely cut out carbs. Just choose good carbs, such as fruits and veggies. Spaghetti squash is a GREAT carb - it's cheap and easy to fix, too. Try to stay away from things like white breads, as they are typically refined and have little to no nutritional value.

Protein is important, too. Meat is a great place to find it. Soy is OK, as well. It's pretty controversial and I have heard both good and bad things about it, but in moderation it shouldn't be an issue.

Sugar and hidden sugars are something to watch out for. Yogurt is GREAT for you, but a lot of comercially produced yogurt has A LOT of sugar in it, sometimes more than a can of non-diet pop. Salad dressings that are store bought tend to have a lot of sugar in them as well, which sort of defeats the idea behind eating a salad. That doens't make them bad, but just don't douse your salads in dressing - let the ingredients of the salad speak/taste for themselves.

Finally, if you like salad, be sure to eat a darker leafy kind of lettuce. A pre-packaged Spring Mix is pretty good and it's the same price as the other pre-packaged salad mixes. Lettuce on a whole doesn't have a lot of nutritional value but it is really good for your intestinal tract, so it's important to eat. It's sort of like ruffage. Yum.

weswe
you are still growing- you should not be on a diet. You should try to eat healthly though. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Whole grains like wheat toast, brown rice. Drink fat free milk everyday. Also make sure to eat some protein like fish, chicken .

Stella Bing
Rating
at 13 a "diet" is a bad idea. Your plan sounds great though! Eat fruit for snacks, take your walks, eat vegetables with your meals - salad for lunch is really good and it's a filling lunch too!

Cutting back on carbs, fat, calories, etc. can get dangerous at such a young age if you aren't careful. You are still developing and need more of that than an adult would.

Just focus on changing your excercise and eating habits and you will be a healthy active adult!

Good for you!

annie
you are 13. don't worry so much! your body is going to change drastically in the next couple of years.

it sounds like your getting plenty of excercise, eating right...

if you really feel that you are overweight - talk to your doctor about it. if your doctor feels you could benefit from a diet plan - let your doctor decide which one would be best suited to your needs. that's the smart way to play it no matter what your age is!

Mark K
exercise like maybe running on a treadmill or running outside

rickmamo
Rating
Eat right and exercise regularly, when yer finished growing then worry!

I am Faked
nothing to do about diet. you are good enough.