How many push ups a day would i have to do to add on 5 pounds of muscle to my arms in 1 month?

how many push ups would i have to do to add on 5 pounds to my arms in 1 month and how many crunches would i have to do to subtract 2 inches from my waist?...

how many push ups would i have to do to add on 5 pounds to my arms in 1 month and how many crunches would i have to do to subtract 2 inches from my waist?

Kat
Dude. Get real. You don't add pounds to your arms. Duh

adrenalinejunky81
Rating
10 + lots of steroids

pissedbitch99
Rating
i'd do them till you tired and can't do any more each nite

gogeta
Rating
You are going to have to do an a** load of push ups to gain 5 pds. in your arms. You should do them at an elevation, meaning put your legs on a chair or bed and start doing push ups from there.

Francisco T
Rating
on the question of push ups try doing them extra slow.

For example try to do one push up with perfect form.

Basically do as much as you can without compromising your form.

Your waist muscles work differently.
heed the advice above for your crunches but also pay attention to your diet

'why add to the problem while trying to solve it' - Bruce Lee

Money
Rating
bowflex system

AudacitY
Rating
There is no mathematical formula on exactly how many push-ups you have to do.

However, here is what I did and am still doing.

I started off very little (i was very weak), Started doing at least 3 sets of 20 a day (count in bursts of 5, its an old mind trick)

Then once 20 got easy (you will feel it getting easier), I pushed it to 3 sets of 30, then 40, then 50.

Once you hit the 50 mark, its cake, your arms and your heart/lungs are used to the strain from pushups.

After 50, i went on to 60, and am at 70 right now. I will be pushing to 80 and so on within a couple weeks.

MAKE SURE YOU DO THEM RIGHT: Form is more important then number, better form = better workout, DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF.
----------------------
NOTE: Pushup's are (honestly) a mind game, its a battle between your will and your body.

Remember, pain is a sign of weakness leaving the body. No pain no gain, etc.

Work hard, you HAVE to want it, otherwise, you WILL fail.

Lexi
It all depends on how much you weight, considering you're holding up your own body weight.
You're alot better off with weight lifting.
And five pounds is a bit unrealistic.
You should focus more on the measurement of your arms in terms of inches/centimeters not pounds/kg.

And as for the crunches, they don't do anything but build muscle. Therefore, the added muscle will probably increase your waistline unless you're already lean.
Get a gym membership.

Good luck.

Lucie Westenne
Rating
1. You need a 24-hour regeneration period after ANY exercise. and besides, push-ups are more shoulder and breast muscle. Also, it is subject to your weight, and is limited by it, too.
2. Exercise DOES NOT "subtract inches". It builds muscle. A carefully controlled, HEALTHY diet will, if you are overweight in the first place. If you really want to try to do it through exercise, 15-20?
3. Why do you need to? Are you a body builder or something?

Doom
Rating
dude just do all you can, there are many factors to be considered such as your current body weight and percentage body fat. if you do all your can it'd give you great results no matter what.

Gagster The Magnificent
Rating

Bruce Almighty
Rating
I don't think you're being realistic about your ambitious plans to add muscle. Firstly, pushups are not a muscle mass exercise, per se. You will build some muscle this way but it won't be anything near the five pounds you want. Instead, you will want to concentrate on absolute strength exercises such as bench presses, military presses, dumbell/barbell curls, and lateral raises. In theory you could probably add five pounds of muscle to your arms in one month by stacking anabolic steroids, such as Dianabol, which are highly illegal to purchase and use without a prescription and dangerous to your health.
Crunches won't subtract fat from your belly on their own. They are a helpful exercise to flatten the abdomen and add some muscular strength, but it won't happen overnight. Also, you ask how many crunches you'd have to do to lose the girth around your waist like it's an exact numerical formula - it's not. It really depends on the quality of the crunches and more importantly, the kind of diet you consume. I recommend a diet high in carbs, moderate in protein, and very low in fat.

help me
Rating
bro..
there is no such thing that by doing so much pushups you can add so much of muscles...
all depends on how much stress you put on your muscles and what you eat....
do pushups till your hands support you and beside this eat things which contain protein ...protein helps in building muscles...

same thing for crunches...
when you start feeling pain in your stomach muscles it means that your fat is burning....
do crunches till you can bear this pain...

Justin I
Rating
if u think this is possible u r living in a fantasy world.. try lifting weights... if u wana add muscle then u gota drink protein shakes and lift, push ups wont do it... and if u do crunches u will just have a nice set of abs underneath a fat gut... u gota run.. u honestly need a trainer

vidyaksa
5 pounds of muscle on each arm? that is insane a lot but luckly im a freak and know these types of things

5 pounds in each arm of muscle- try doing 30 with one arm if you can, and another 30 with the other

5 pounds in both arm of muscle- do 43 push-ups a day.

i hope this helps :)

youthleader_jokerhawk
5 pounds of muscles in your arms is a LOT.

You're going to have to do a LOT... and would probably need to do more than pushups...

Rishu
50 chinnings , 50 dips , n lots of basketball would do it ... try it ..

Mare
What you suggest is medically impossible. First of all you can not add or grow muscle. All you can do is develop what you already have. Also, everyone reacts to exercise differently. Some will develop faster than others. There is no mathematical formula to give you an honest answer.

me
Do the math 5lb - mass = IQ

Mike G
Rating
I'm not sure why everyone is posting 20 push-ups per day for a month. If 600 push-ups were enough to add five pounds of muscle, we'd all be walking around like friggin' Popeye. It's not that easy. Push-ups don't add serious bulk.

And crunches don't remove fat from your waist. There's no such thing as "spot" weight loss, despite what the commercials tell you. You'll lose fat all over if you exercise, but you can't target a single location. Crunches simply tone your stomach muscles.

akdraft77
Pick up a muscle and fitness magazine, and find a healthier approach. Push-ups aren't going to add muscle like you think.

Add more, different excersizes and combine it with a healthy eating plan for real results.

Excersizes on machines and with free weights that continuously challenge your body are going to be more effective than relying on push-ups alone.

Don't have access to a gym or free weights? There are plenty of things you can do around the house to help you buff up.

Relying on one excersize alone is going to set you up for injury, be boring as hell and hard to stick to, and isn't going to give you the results you are after. Guaranteed.

All you idiots that said 20 push-ups a day have no idea what you are talking about. 20 push-ups a day wont change a thing.

Also, there is no such thing as spot reduction. I repeat: there is no such thing as spot reduction.

To lose inches, you need to adjust your diet. You need a calorie deficyt. This means, you need to burn more calories in a day than you take in. You can speed losing weight with cardio. walking, Running, Swimming, Roller-blading, Stair master, Jump-rope, Hiking, anything thatgets your heart rate up. Figure out your max heart rate (depends on age and current fitness level - talk to your doc) and get your heart rate to 80%. Hold it there for at least 30 min at least 3 or 4 times a week.

All crunches will do for you si develope the muscle that is under your fat, they won't help burn fat.

pdevans1963@rogers.com
Rating
its not a direct equation . you cant put a number of days and pounds on it. you have to factor in caloric intake with caloric output and factor in your own metabolic rate and as you gain each lb of muscle how much easier does it get and at what point if any do you plateau?

if it were simple math then people wount get frustrated so easily but its not

just a guy
Eh. This is all ... subject.
Subject to how much you weigh?
Subject to the form of your pushup.
Subject to how well you gain muscle.
However, i should tell you
pushups isn't a good way to gain mass. Basically your limit is how much you weigh.
Your basically just lifting your weight up and down, and not your fullt weight. Unless you get fatter everyday, you'll get to a poitn where doing pushups is easy, and you'll wont' get any net gain of muscle.
Also, puhsups is like doing 100 pounds bench press. Thats pertty light. It'll mostly make your arms more toned rather than bulky. If you want mass, i suggest you weigh yoru pushups down or bench press. Pushups w/ body weight won't get you mass.
Try protein shakes too.
Also. Crunches? ehh.. if you have a lot of hanging fat, it will just build the muscle underneath your fat and give you a wider width. just a little wider. Target weigh burning DOESN"T WORK.
Basically, your whole body works on a system of calories, its a net body fat kind of thing. If you burn 400 excess calories, it'll subtract it from your whole body. so some form legs, upper body, etc. So you'd be better off running or doing something that burns a lot of calories. or dont' eat anything for a month.
a ponud of fat is like 3000 calories. Just keep that in mind.

K. Vaughn
These questions are impossible to answer. We cannot scientifically determine given X amount of resistance training how much muscle will grow over Y amount of time. Even if we could, that would be dependent on your body type and diet. Just focus on doing more and more push-ups each session. Allow plenty of time for rest and eat healthy. Crunches don't shrink your waist either because they do not burn much fat at all. To lose inches from your waistline, you have to lose fat via a diet plan.

balibot
Rating
how about you do as many as possible... you dont have to do them all at once, do 25/ five times a day. and crunches wont help you loose much off of your waist...your gonna have to run or do some other cardio for that.

traveljunkie@btinternet.com
Sounds like you're a pretty wierd shape. Get a total body workout program and eat less.

Mr.Unique
Rating
It does not depends on push up count..
do push up till u have good energy..if u feel u r losing energy then stop doing for a moment then resume .

Trevor F
0. It's impossible. first of all, pushups use alot more of your chest and shoulders than your arms. Screw the crunches and run. Crunches will build muscle, running will burn fat.
If you want more muscle in your arms try bicep and tricep workouts.

zahirjooma
Rating
I hope you know that this is physically impossible.

bartalbe_wow
Unless you are doing close grip push ups to work your triceps, you are not going to make very significant gains to the size of your arms doing push ups. You will never add 5lbs of muscle to your arms in a month doing anything.

Crunches have nothing to do with subtracting size from your waist. This is known as "spot reduction" and it doesn't work. To lose waist size you will simply have to burn fat. Unfortunately the waist, while it is the first place men usually put weight on, it is the last place it usually comes off.

Jake H
pushups wont add muscle pounds, if you are bulked up already you will actually lose muscle weight and gain a tighter thinner strand of muscle. You will get much stronger by doing pushups as a workout, but the numbers on the scale won't change.

pushups are designed as an edurance workout, which means lightweight and many reps. Endurance workouts give you the lean, thin muscle that will easily handle your bodyweight, but endurance has trouble with excessively heavier weights.

I would recommend using weights to bulk yourself up. "bulk" means to add muscle pounds by lifting heavy weights you can barely lift. If you want bulk muscles then a heavy weight you can only do 5 or 6 times. You will get big muscles quickly, but your endurance will be much weaker than if you had trained an endurance workout like pushups.

As for the crunches, I would say a month of going to the gym twice a week for an abdominal machine should do the trick. It would also help to add cario.