Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

My wife has type 2 diabetes i don't know much about it you read in the papers about people losing legs? ect
or worse she is on medication but i would like to know more can anybody help ...

Help from diabetics or those familiar with diabetes?
My dad's a type 2 diabetic so I've started reading up on it to get a better understanding of what he should/shouldn't eat. But I'm very confused about whether or not he should be ...

Which medications can cause your blood sugar to rise?
blood sugar rising and have not eaten anything to cause such a jump. am takeing new meds....

Is diet soda such as diet coke a good or bad alternative for diabetics?

Diabetes IS IT?
okay...i fasted than ate something...i took my blood sugar recently it was 25...is this bad?...

Diabetic persons life span.?
I know a person with high BP and diabetic .this person takes every medication , exercise and care to keep them in control. But i heard that these are more vulnerable to heart attacks . how far is ...

I am newly diabetic and I don't drink soda. What can I drink besides water?
I have been told that fruit juice like orange and apple juice is not an option because of its effects on my sugar. I have found that diet soda has a really bad after effect on me so I steer clear of ...

Will i put on weight if i donate blood?

Additional Details
wad are the benefits on donating blood besides able to save a person's life?...

My glucose level is 77 i ate a spoonful of chocolate did i do the right thing or should i have gone to the ER?

What is hypoglycemia?

Extremly thirsty, aniexty, i have to pee a lot....?
i ask a question earlier about this,,,,but i have a few more questions about it, im 5'5" 124lbs. and 16 years old..im always thirsty, i pee all the time...when my blood sugar was tested it ...

What should be a normal blood sugar reading after eating a high carb meal?

What laxitive would be least suitable for use by a diabetic?

I've been diagnosed 'pre-diabetic' AND I have a cholesterol problem. What can I eat LOTS of?
Cholesterol is blocking the major arteries in my upper legs, so I'm looking at meals for pre-diabetics (low sugar) that are also very low in cholesterol. Thanks in advance....

Bloodsugar 419?
I'm a diabetic, But, i've never been this high before, how much insulin do I take to bring it down to normal.
Additional Details
for those of you who are saying you are shocked,...

I took one of those blood sugar test my reading came out to 575 I know its bad but i need to know how bad?

If u are diabetic and eat sweets and not take your medicine, can you break out in boil like sores?

My two year old cousin has diabetes, what could be the cause of that?
His blood sugar level shot up to 600+ last week....

Are there three types of diabetes?
a friend told me there were, but I've only heard of 2...

Is numbness in hands, and fingertips, and feet symtoms of diabetes are bad heart are maybe both????
my sister been havin numbness in hands, feet, sometime, she have never had any heart problems so now she focusin on diabetes could it be that are maybe both?? plz reply thanks!!.....

Mr. Peachy®
Who still believes that drinking alcohol raises a diabetic's blood glucose?
After reading these statements taken from reputable websites:

“While moderate amount of alcohol can cause blood sugar to rise, excess alcohol can actually decrease your blood sugar level -- sometimes causing it to drop into dangerous levels.”

“Small Amounts of Alcohol Slightly Increases Risk of Low Blood Sugar in Certain Diabetics.”

Webmd.com

“Hypoglycemia Causes:

Common causes of low blood sugar include the following:

Overmedication with insulin or antidiabetic pills

Use of alcohol”

Emedicine.com

And, finally, the American Diabetes Association says:

“This is why drinking as little as 2 ounces of alcohol (about 2 drinks) on an empty stomach can lead to very low blood sugar.”

http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes/alcohol.jsp
Additional Details
A heterogeneous bunch of answers, so far. I'm not totally convinced of this myself, but the explanation given by the American Diabetes Association makes more sense than the positions taken by those of you who don't have any reinforcement other than hearsay evidence. Come on, you guys... cough up some science.

Alex F
Although I normally agree/side with you...I think this one is bull.

Drinking alcohol does lots of stuff to mess up your body, including raising the blood sugar. Of this I'm certain.

However, every now and then some random study comes along to say a generally bad food can be good for your health in one specific situation (ie chocolate), and as a result it helps the wounded ego of whoever engages in the bad habit, and they just cite the study to justify what they do.
I personally feel alcohol lowering blood sugar falls into this model as well, given my past understanding of what it does to your system.

Correct me if I have anything blatantly wrong :P

joe c
Rating
i always wondered why i wasn't diabetic.

jsmeaton
Rating
in my experience, alcohol temporarily increases blood glucoses levels then causes them do drop. don't know the cause or if this is the case for other diabetics. btw i drink buckfast which is full of sugar

sue
Rating
The liver filters out the "poisons" dumped in the system. It considers alcoholic beverages as "extreme poison" so much that it turns totally to getting rid of this poison from the bod. This takes away all its other functions. The dedication to getting rid of the alcohol prevents the liver from dumping even a bit of stored glucose into the blood. This in effect drops glucose levels.

jeevarathinam d
great mr peachy good work. more proof is required. otherwise it will create a lot of confusion in Indi we genrally beleive that consumptionm of alcohol definitely raises the blood sugar be it is little or moderate. in thse same column i rad every 7 gms carbohydrate increases one pint in the reading! how can any one believe that pure ghee is dripping out of coconut tree! regards. i think we must think before ink. after health and life is involved. let us refer it to experts. there is something is missing.

Lucinda
Rating
Im hypoglycimc when I drink my glucouse level drops to about 50 and Im a wreck (unfortunetly Im a chronic alcoholic) My husband is on insulin and if he drinks his goes down instead of up also WEIRD HUH!?

Reces Peces
It spikes you high then it drops you low.

derebail the indian guide
Rating
well drinking excess alcohol is bad, now if at all you want to drink dilute 90% with water and drink. This will not only dilute sugar but also give u a feeling that u had ur fill of quota, and immediately have food. Even better have alcohol after food.

skunk
That is very interesting. I always thought drinking raised the sugar levels.
I am a diabetic. Thanks for the info.

Anita
Rating
Not me. Now if you drink that alcohol in super sugary margaritas, your blood sugar will probably spike.

J
Rating
Here goes. Alcohol contains carbs. Carbs raise sugar. Thus an increase. However, alcohol impairs liver function. One function of the liver is to respond to glucagon to make sugar from glycogen. If the liver is busy detoxing alcohol (and for purposes of sugar lowering, it doesn't need to be much alcohol), then the liver can't make the sugar it needs to. This is why if you drink alcohol on an empty stomach, you'll most likely experience a low sugar, and thus the recomendation that if you drink any alcohol, don't do so on an empty stomach.

Cammie
Good question Mr. Peachy

For the person saying that margaritas raise your sugar, we are talking about alcohol, not mixers.

When a person dies of alcohol poisoning, it is due to a LOW sugar.

Hoosier Mom
Rating
I don't believe it raises blood sugar. Not only does it not raise the blood sugar levels for my husby or me (both Type II), but my husby the biologist states, "One, alcohol is NOT a sugar (yes it contains carbs, but check the label - very little) and two, alcohol enhances insulin activity."

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy