Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

Question about blood work?
i just got my blood work done to check my general health...im curious to know what all do they check with blood work? is there a seperate test for checking your thyroid or diabetes? or does getting ...

If someone who's obese says they're hypoglycemic, are they likely to be wrong, (lying?) or just not "reactive"
My brother is severely overwieght & says he was diagnosed hypoglycemic, but I heard true "reactive" hypoglycemics have great difficulty gaining wieght.

Is there a cause of ...

Do I have diabetes?
I have been feeling really tired and spacey over the last few months. I also have been drinking a lot of water and I have been getting tingling in my hands and feet. Also at work tonight I started ...

Type 1 diabetes please help?
hi sorry to ask but can you let me no as much a you no about type1 diabetes as my 4 year old has it and what happens in the ...

Help.. My sister is diabetic patient .So tell three things to use instead of Sugar .?
+Any recipe will help .
Have a nice day ....

Why and how does diabetes effect your eye sight?

What do you know about Diabetes?

What are some signs and symptoms that you might have diabetes?

Does a diabetic's blood appeal more to vampires?

What are the symptoms/warning signs of diabetes (adult onset)?

If a non diabetic is injected with insulin, can they counter the effects by eating sweets?
I saw it in a movie. The guy injected the girl and went out in the balconey. She ate chocolates and jumped off the balconey and ran.
Additional Details
I meant balcony....

What are the symptoms of Diabetes?

I have a relative with diabetes. How are diabetics supposed to eat?
Because this diabetic i know eats sweets and drinks beer, but claims that he doesnt exactly know what a diabetic can eat, so he eats the stuff he knows he shouldn't eat....

My gf has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes..?
i want to marry her but i dont think my parents will allow once they will know abt her disease and even if they will then they ll remain always tensed coz of it in future,,
what if i dont tell ...

Is walking exercise reduce sugar level in diabetic patients?
Because it is strongly advocated by the Physicians to all patients affected by the Diabeties....

Diabetes question...?
what are the different types of diabetes..and how do you know if you have it??

please explain in detal.....

Do magnets help the swelling of a diabetics foot?
im a diabetic with a swollen foot my doctor says i do not have a blood clot and shoulld be ok ,i was told to wear magnets similar to the arthritis ...

Can athletes get diabetes?
I do about 150kms of cycling and about 6 hours in the gym per week doing spinning and other things, I am 17 and after this I consume TONES of sugar, honey, chocolate, all !

How easily ...

I have low blood sugar in morning after I eat breakfast just enough to bring my sugar up,I get very sleepy?
is this a normal thing,or should I be concerned? T...

My grand parents are Severe Diabetic?
I am Zain lari from India - today 28.nov.07 is my birthday , i would request for suggessions - i drink 2 litres of fruit juices each day or can be more if i feel thirsty - i have just arrived 2 ...

Tim B
Is it true that when you start insulin you have to be on it 4 ever?
ive been a diabetic since 1999 im type 2 my a1c was 7 dr says i need insulin i,m scared to start on it

Nobby
No its not true

You come off it when you die

Debbie M
No it's Not True........Don't be scared to start...

jeannieboop
Rating
i've never heard of anyone who was able to stop taking insulin. it's just a fact of life for some of us. you can't run from it or escape it you just have to deal with it to stay alive

DjepManila
Rating
you might need it to start getting your levels stabilized.... after that its possible to take oral meds to maintain good levels, I went from 3 shots a day down to one tablets every morning, diet and exercise are the key to keeping your diabetes in check.... dont be scared.... just do it.... the consequence of untreated diabetes is not something you want to go through

♥NinaYo[Chika-Pow!]♥
Rating
no but if you eat good you don't have to have it alllll the time.

db2byl
Rating
No, it's not true. My mom was on insulin for a while, then lost weight, got her sugar under control and is now back on oral meds. But I am a type 2 on insulin and I have to tell you, it changed my life. Now I have better control, if my blood sugar is up, I take a small dose of fast acting insulin to bring it down, I take long acting in the morning and at dinner. So better control for me and I really don't want to go back to oral meds, even if I could.

reginachick22
Type 1 diabetes: Yes. If you have Type 1 diabetes, you take insulin daily or you die. Period.

Type 2 diabetes: Maybe or maybe not. Many people with Type 2 diabetes can control it through diet, exercise, and oral medication. The key is to make changes *early* in the course of the disease. Many Type 2 diabetes can even control their condition through strict diet and exercise alone. But you have to put in the effort. Although some Type 2 diabetics will need to eventually use insulin to keep thier blood sugars in a safe range at some point, most can avoid that fate if they lose weight, follow their diet, and exercise. These changes need to be done early to tackle their insulin resistance before they "burn out" their beta cells.

Your insulin levels can be tested by your doctor with a c-peptide test. If they are normal or high, there is a good chance that diet, exercise, weight loss, and oral medication is a better choice than insulin. Adding more insulin to excess insulin levels and insulin resistance can lead to weight gain and MORE insulin resistance, which is not what you want.

People who develop Type 2 diabetes from steroids, medications, or hormonal disorders usually need to be on and stay on insulin. If their Type 2 diabetes is due to medication, it MAY "reverse" if the medication can be stopped.

An A1c of 7 is not all that bad. Of course, if you are on 4 different anti-diabetic medications that may interact and your A1c is creeping up, and can see where your doctor is coming from. But the reality is that some doctors like to give out more prescriptions then lifestyle counselling.

Insulin is not something to be afraid of as a Type 2 diabetic *if it is needed*. It helps many. But you need to make sure it is right *for you* before you jump the gun. Your A1c is not dangerously high, and adding insulin to the mix MAY not be the answer here for you.

I wouldn't be scared, but I do think you need to do more research and investigating before you say yes.

SnapDragon<&gt;<
Rating
People with type 1 diabetes mellitus will have to take insulin always. Their pancreas doesn't make insulin, so they have to have it administered parenterally. People with type 2 diabetes don't necessarily have to take it for the rest of their lives. Their blood sugar levels may be normalized with oral diabetic meds, diet, and exercise. I know some type 2 diabetics that control blood sugars with just diet and exercise. I have also seen some type 2 diabetics on insulin for years. Alot of it depends on how your pancreas is working, and how much insulin it's producing. Also, it depends on how compliant you are with your diet.

Cammie
Rating
I have type 2 for many years now. I have been taking insulin on and off for many years starting before I decided to get pregnancy.That was 18 yrs ago.

Several weeks ago, I just stopped taking insulin.I haven't been to my doctor's yet to tell him but I think i have an appointment in a few weeks.

If my sugar gets too hi, I take some Humalog .I am eating less and not trying to play catch up all the time.
I will most likely have to go back on again but for now, this works for me.

If you are new to diabetes or only a few years in, do not make changes like this on your own.After many years you will be competent to make these types of change.

The bottom line is that you may go on and off insulin at different times in your life.
Good luck

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, August 1, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy