Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

As a Diabetic how can you take precautions to protect eye sight?
Diabetics are a vulnerable lot with regard to eye sight if precautions are not observed. It is very important that one observes certain protective measures to protect eye ...

A typical day for a diabetic.?
I just want to know a typical day of a diabetic.

Like when you eat and then when you take your insulin. If you want to exercise when do you take your insulin? Your opinions etc. It can be ...

I had the symtoms of diabetes, but now they are all gone!?
I had most of the symtoms of diabetes and then they all the symtoms disapeared... What does that mean..
I still had the excesive thirst and unrinating alot and being hungery... But the blurred ...

Sugar question??????!!!!!!!?
i ate 7 spoons of sugar last night!!

what will happen??...

How does childhood obesity causes type 2 diabetes?

Anyone here can suggest me right serial with not too much sugar in it?
My mom is 76 yrs old with diabetes,high b.p.cholestrol and anemic.She does takes her all medicines for diabetese and cholestrol etc.From last visit to her doctor and blood report it seems her ...

Renal failure?
Person who have diabetes that suffer from Renal failure does that mean they let their diabetes get out of control. What about a person who keeps their numbers between 100 and 130 all the time will ...

Weak and Tired after Eating?
About an hour after I eat i get very weak and tired and i cant sit up and have to go lay down. I get very thirsty also and have to go pee alot. In the past I have had problems with very low Blood ...

Does coffee really reduce blood sugar levels?
I heard that coffee reduces blood sugar. Is that true? Also, at what age(s) is someone more prone to Type 1 vs Type 2 diabetes? Is there any way to tell the difference aside from needing insulin ...

Diabetics, how do you handle the food police?
You know, those people that are so overly concerned about your health that they always ask the tiring question, "Should you be eating that?" every time you consume a tasty morsel....

I checked my two year old's blood glucose level twice, and both times it was over 300, should i investigate?

Additional Details
i checked it because my boyfriend has type 1 1/2 diabetes....and she held her finger out because she wanted to be tested.... so we did..... i just wanted to know if ...

I have a Question for Diabetics?
I recently tested my sugar (using a friends tester) and in the day time it was 347. And then I tested it again the next morning after not eating for 12 hours and it was 257. I know thats bad and I ...

My mother has type 2 diabetes i dont know any thing about it can any one help me with some advice?
she only got diagnosed a few days ago she seems ok to me we only found out because she pulled a musle in her chest and went to hospital they did a blood test just to see how she was then told her she ...

Are tangerines OK for diabetes?

What are the dangers of a blood sugar level of 1304?
I have a frien admited to the hospital. They found that her blood sugar level was 1304. I am wondering what the potential of danger is here,and permanant danger?...

How can I get the school to give my 7yr old(Diabetes#1) his lunchtime blood sugar test??
The Principle of the school verbally refuses.(Ontario, Canada) Could I legally get the school to accept this of giving a simple blood sugar test??? They will not get aids or infected of anything, and ...

Can type 2 diabetes condition be reversed?

How is human insulin produced?
And why does insulin have to be given by injection?...

Is it true ?
Is it true that craving/eating choclate is a sign of alcoholism.My friend said .I just want to know what people think Is it true.
Additional Details
ok if you drink alot....

I have high blood pressure do not want medication is there some herbal treatment?

Lost_Girl
Is it safe for a diabetic to get body piercings?
I want to have my tongue pierced but I have type 2 diabetes which makes my body heal slower. I really want the piercing but not sure of all the risk with me being a diabetic. There is not much info on this that I have found.

khollisky
It would be good to ask a hematologist this question. Also, internal medicine. There are a lot of diabetics that have piercings. It is the ability to fight off infections that is difficult with diabetes.

Grand pa
Ask a doctor . Dont take chances I am paying the price nerve damage, eye problems kidney problems heart problems

Miss Rose Trucker
If you really want to chance it I would talk to your Doctor one that is familiar with you they may not be thrilled about it but they can spell things out to you about what your personal risks really are.

meerz
Rating
not at all..dun take the risk

champear
Generally, yes. Tattoos and piercings are safe if you get them done in a clean environment (DO RESEARCH on places before you go). Being diabetic, like others have said, means you definitely have a higher risk of infection. I got my cartilage pierced and I am a type I, but because I got it done in a tattoo shop with great reviews (and it was really clean and sterile) and I took really good care of it as it healed, I had no problems.
A tongue piercing, though, is WAY more susceptible to infection. You might want to think about it, but I would say no. (Try something that you know you can keep clean!)

wantsshy
No. It is not advisable, you are certainly at a greater risk than a non-diabetic

nursekuba
Rating
The diabetes puts you at higher risk for infection and makes it harder for your body to fight infection off. Tongue piercings are probably the highest risk for infection with body piercings. I wouldn't risk it. MAYBE another piercing, like the belly button, but be very careful wiith it.

Mark A
Rubbish, why cant a diabetic have piercings or tattoos, yes a diabetic takes more time to heal as long as the area is kept clean and your diabetes is controlled you are no different to a non diabetic having piercings, the stigma of DIABETES and normal is unfair, 99% of diabetics live a perfectly happy normal life.

LNSu
Rating
I have the piercing, 7 years old now.... My last 2 piercings are 2 years old now. I am a type 1, of 17-18 years. I have many complications, but do not let this stop you from living. Talk 2 your doc, Go to someplace CLEAN and keep yourself clean.

Generally life shouldn't get in the way of your diabetes

God Bless

reginachick22
Diabetics are *generally* advised no, because of poor healing and risk for infection.

However, nowadays many diabetics (especially Type 2) can control their blood sugar quite well and maintain normal or near normal levels. This is because new diabetes care technology and treatment has come a long way.

*If* your blood sugars are well controlled, you don't have any issues with circulation, and you generally heal well, you may be able to get a piercing.

Your best bet is to ask your doctor if this may be possible for you. Only they know your medical history. With good control and normal healing times, I would not rule it out. That said, you will be at higher risk overall, and your doctor may want you to be on antibiotics to prevent infection.

I would avoid navel rings at all costs, they take a very long time to heal and are easily infected even in non-diabetics.

Discuss this with your doctor.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Monday, October 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy