Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

My 8 year old daughter is Diabetic?
My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 4. And till this day i still have problems with her eating things that she shouldn't. Her target range is 80-150. But she's always high. I mean I get ...

Sugar level check to low?
my sugar level was 33 is that to ...

What is Insulin?
I have read in a science textbook that people with diabetes take ane part insulin for every 15 grams of carbohidrates. but i don't know what the heck is insulin....

What kind of health problems make you lose weight?

Is it possible to develop type one diabetes at the age of 20?
I've had all the symptoms of the 'type one' diabetes for a while now but ive never really thought too much about it until recently, I've never really put on much weight (I just ...

BLOOD TESTS/NEEDLES HELP!?
i'm about to get my blood test soon, and i am deeply afraid!! i've never got one before my whole life but i'm only 14. my dad said it hurt and that made me even more afraid. how long ...

Could I have diabetes, if so which type, and what type is worse?
Over the past couple of moths I have found myself:
- Very thirsty
- With a dry mouth
- Each day feeling more and more out of energy
- Constantly tired
- Slight weight loss

Type 2 diabetes-high blood sugar?
can anyone tell me some ways to lower high blood sugar at home. i went on webmd and they really didnt have any remedies or help
(blood sugar over 300)
Additional Details
i do have ...

Type 2 diabetes?
My mom has just found out that she has type 2 diabetes. Now, she isn't sure on what foods she can or can't eat. Does anyone know of a site that I can go look at to see what foods are good ...

Diabetic friends says drinking non-diet soda ok.?
55-year old woman, insulin-dependent for 10 years, living in my home. Blood sugar ranges from 200 to 450 with recent spike over 600. Serious vision issues, neuropathy in feet, some bladded ...

What is the surest cure of diabetes without medication?
no medicines &no side ...

Diet for a diabetic?
My father was just diagnose with type II diabetes. He has always been a big eater but veryb active. He loves twinkies and mainly any other kind of snacks.But now they said that he can no longer eat ...

Is diabetics hereditary ? I am going to marry a girl whose father was a diabetics patient. Please advise.?
Is diabetics hereditary ? I am going to marry a girl whose father was a diabetics patient. Please advise whether I should proceed or not....

My mum has been diagnosed with diabetes what are the best drinks for her not alcohol what juice ?
the leaflet says 8 glasses a day but what? any help please ...

As a woman i have frequent yeast infections is that a sign of diabetes?

Do i have low blood sugar? if so, what do i do?
my symtons are
-dizzyness
-weakness
-feeling like i am going to pass out
-excessive tiredness when i got a decent amount of sleep
-shaking hands

i did eat food and ...

Diabetes help?
have had type 2 for 5 years and on tablets for 4 years........ take them as and when i'm meant to suger levels are normaly 6 - 7 been told not go below 6 but on thursday i was sitting at my ...

What is good for yeastinftion?
what is a good cure for a ...

My 36 yr old husband has sugar levels over 500?
First of all he won't go to the dr. He's not over weight he's about 165 he has all the symtoms of high sugar. It's like he's drunk in another world. All i half to do is look ...

Does getting mad or being stressed cause blood sugars to rise?
why?...

Kathy L
How long would it take for a blood glucose level of 438 to return to normal?

DivineBiotch
depends, how long has it been at that level? is that fasting numbers or did you just eat something sweet? have you been taking care of your diabetes good or do you forget to give yourself shots? do you see your doctor regularly or do you even have a doctor? do you take enough insulin for the day and w/ meals? you should be taking long-lasting insulin and fast-acting, seeing as your readings are so high. did this just happen suddenly, or have you been slacking off lately? do you limit carbs/sugars or do you even watch what you eat? i was diagnosed w/ type 1 diabetes 6 years ago, slacked off, didn't watch what i ate, and rarely shot up, and when i did, it was never enough. my feet started to go about 2-4 years ago, now the pain is so bad i don't sleep nights. i suffered 2 boughts of dka this year as a result, but my sugars were in the 400s on a daily basis. i never checked my sugars and i never went to see a doctor, as i was uninsured and couldn't afford it. my fasting sugars were in the 400s, and my urine was cloudy all the time for the past couple years. it catches up w/ you! anyhow, watch for ketones if you're type 1, especially. ketones are a bad sign, even worse than high readings. however, high readings can bring on ketones. if your breath smells fruity or sweet, if you suffer frequent yeast infections, if you're excessively tired, thirsty, sleept, and you yawn a lot, if you become nautious, sweaty, your heart beats fast, you have trouble breathing, it's too late. dka comes on quickly and it can be life threatening if you don't have it taken care of. if your numbers have been that high for a prolonged period of time (say over the course of 24 hours, no matter your efforts to lower it), then it's time to go to the emergency room. best have someone drive you. you'll have to stay while they run tests and pump you full of liquids. drinking 2 gallons of water a day when your sugars are that high won't help. i tried. the more i drank, the more dehydrated i became. it's a losing battle. i was in icu for 4 days, and even there my sugars were in the 400s, and i was on a constant insulin drip! they discharged me 4 days later, my sugars were still in the 300s, but i felt a lot better, so i agreed to follow up w/ a doctor they assigned me the next day. if your readings have been that high for as long as mine have, then getting them down to normal will take some time. it took me 2-3 months for them to come down to normal, but i was taking LOTS of insulin, which i don't exactly suggest, as i developed an allergy to the insulin. doc put me on 80 units of humulin n and 10 units of humalog w/ every meal until i saw a difference. i didn't see a difference for 2 months. gradually, w/ all that insulin and a strict no-carb diet my sugars decended. what also helps is a half-hour walk after each meal. if the numbers spike after something you eat, but are normal most of the time, and if you have tight control otherwise, then one 10-unit shot of humalog w/ a no-carb small meal will bring it down in about 2-4 hours. otherwise, if your numbers have been at that level for years, as mine have, give it several months to regulate w/ proper diet, shots, and exercise. if you feel you're bordering on dka, even if you have but one symptom, get yourself to the nearest er right away! that said, take good care of yourself. don't let your diabetes get the better of you. good luck.

Doc8
Depending on the dosage of insulin given a few hours. The important part would be to start burning sugar again instread of fat and correct acid-base balance.

alt.healer
Rating
a week, a month or never depending on you. a doctor has to give you insulin to bring it down quickly to near normal. if you are type 1 you do not make insulin and it will not come down without intervention. a type 2 after it is brought down with insulin can then control it mostly with a good diet exercise and some sugar controlling herbs like cinnamon, bitter melon,fenugreek, fiber and dozens of others along with possibly a medication like metformin or another

REnate
Rating
Way too high and you could have a stroke or go into a coma.

Go to the emergency room - they can help you.

Do not sit around and wait for your blood glucose to go down: this is serious

Penguin
Rating
it depends how much insulin you give yourself, and what you ate. some foods take longer to "kick in" to your blood sugar.

tina
That is way to high. See a doctor.

margalit
Anyone who has a blood sugar this high should not be "waiting" for it to return to normal!

They should be at an emergency room getting treatment!

In the long-term, once stabilized, there are some other things to do, for example:

___ Ampalaya (bitter melon) found in Asian markets, bilberries, onions, garlic and spices: cinnamon and fenugreek, as well as herb gymnema sylvestre --- along with many other foods have been found to be specifically beneficial for diabetics. If you use these, make sure you are taking more frequent blood sugar readings so you know how responsive your body is to their blood-sugar lowering capabilities.

___ It is better to eat 6 smaller meals, fairly evenly spaced through the day onward to a bedtime snack, than to eat just 3 meals a day. I hope this helped. Make sure you are well-hydrated, only use water!

___ To learn more about possibly ameliorating or even reversing diabetes, read www.watercure.com www.phmiracleliving.com

I hope this helps.

Shalom,
margalit

kirsten j
Depends on what you've done to treat it

SKG R
Begin the day with a glass of cold,fresh water.
Make it convenient to drink ice water wherever you are.
Notice - and respond - to symptoms of fluid loss.
Limit your intake of caffeinated beverages ans alcohol.
Eat snacks and meals high in complex carbohydrates.
If you are hungry between a snack and a meal drink a glass of cold water.
Limit alcohol consumption - " beer bellies " are real.

future_claudio
Rating
a while...till your body as enough time to make the insulin it needs to defeat it persay lol...

zephead692002
well i hope you are taking something for it. your bloodsuger should NEVER be that high. if you took regular insulin should start coming down within 30 mins, long acting insulin 1-2 hrs., oral med 1-2 hrs. if you are not taking anything i suggest you get to a doc. asap, that is a very dangerous number something is very wrong.

amandabrittainy
unfortunately - whether you eat or not - your sugar could actually get higher, your liver will keep releasing glucose in reponse to your diabetes (your body tells your liver you have no sugar because there is no insulin to tell cells to use it, so the liver keeps releasing glucose in response).

Danielle
Contrary to what other people have said, having a 438 blood sugar reading will not make you go into a coma. What you do is:
1. Call your diabetes team and ask them what to do.
2. Check for ketones.
3. If ketones are present, drink 8 oz. of sugar free fluids every hour.
Keep repeating step #3 and monitor your BG levels.

I know that this won't make you go into a coma...I have been in a diabetic coma. This was before I even knew I had diabetes, and my blood sugar got to 1026. When it starts reading high on the blood glucose monitor, that's when you need to go to a hospital.

Kathie Emmanuelite
Rating
spend an hour on a stair stepper or an hour taking a very brisk walk and it should come down. Very few people in this site ever recommend exercise to bring down high blood sugars and it's my number one treatment if I get too high.

Garacaius
Rating
Are you taking anything for your bloodsugar level ? Do you regularly test it. You need to obviously be on your diet if you have one. It should be dropping in one day and down in three max, you should really be talking to your doctor.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy