Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

What kind of insulin do you take?
I take novolog....

Diabetes Test?
I think I may have diabetes & I am going to go to Lloyds Pharmacy to get a free test. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results??
Additional Details
If I am positive ...

What career or job involves preventing illnesses and preventing diease?
Treating a person who is sick is a good thing but I would MUCH rather prevent the illness before it happenes such as through education.
Diabetes and Hypertension, (high blood pressure) are ...

I Like to know if honney is good for diabetic?
knowing that contain ...

How does drinking water help lower blood sugar?
in diabetics
Additional Details
and I'm not saying it should be a substitute for insulin or other treatments, just asking why it is ...

Bloodtest?
I had a blood test it was for my thyriods. Will the doctor beable to find out if i have got diabetes through that?

Thanks
Additional Details
Ow great! I hate needles and they ...

What are some theories on why and how type 1 diabetes starts?

Additional Details
I understand its the failure of the pancreas. What is causing the failure of the pancreas. Interesting theory that maybe a virus can cause it.
A significant ...

What cause someone to urinate blood?
when you are urinating, there is blood coming out with your urine.what cause that?...

Sugar Level ?
ok ,when i have not eat in about 2,3 hours my legs start to get shakey an wobbly. I have to eat and then i stops. what could this be my friend told me that it could be my sugar level ?

What should sugar levels be?

I need help...I'm afraid I'm going anorexic..?
I am completely obsessed with this diet! and im starving...i'm 16 years old, 5ft ll 11in, 160 lbs. I'm on a three day diet that guarantees you to loose 10 lbs in those three days. I have ...

Does insulin lower or increase blood sugar?

I just had my blood sugar level checked my doctor told me that it is 147 . how concerned should i be ?

My friend is diabetic and high blood and sometimes he has chest pain..what should we do?

I'm a diabetic on a insulin pump and my tubing is blocked.I can't get new tubing until tomorrow morning
I have short acting insulin and a needle with me. My blood sugars are are staying low at the moment. I haven't given myself any insulin for 3 hours. What should I do? And my doctors aren't ...

One of my friends just found out she has diabetes. Can it effect your eyesight?

How can I avoid diabetes? 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
My grand mother suffered from diabetes for many years. Well, she was overweight. She made and sold candies and sweet all her life. I am sure she loved to eat them too :)

I am 22 years old. ...

What will happen if i eat and drink my juice?

What are the early symptons to diabetes?

Please please please please please answerr!!!!!?
its benn like 4 hours after i ate and i tested my blood sugar and its 140...is this normal..i do not have diabetes..please help..i don't have any signs of it though..please ...

iron w
How long after eating does the food we eat start to effect blood sugar levels that will show when testing?
I basically want to know that if i was to eat something and i had forgot to check my sugar level before doing so, how long do i have to test my sugar level and still receive an accurate result?

tbby510
2 hours

Amy V
Rating
It depends on what you've eaten. But generally 1-2 hours after you eat your blood sugars spike... but I believe depending on what you eat (high processed foods like cereals, candy, high glycemic food with no fiber break down the fastest) it may be as quickly as 15-20 minutes when your blood sugars start raising.
Obviously if you just swallowed your first bite you will get a fairly accurate reading.
If you ate some raw vegetables it would take longer to process than say a lifesaver candy.

*Lauren
Rating
about 2 hours

fuzzykitty
they generally say 2 hours after eating, One thing that isn't taken in to consideration. is that not everybody metabolizes food at the same rate.. And a person with a slow metabolism , I expect is going to have a higher level then one who doesn't.

I'm so sweet I need insulin
usually about 2-3 hours... but, that could depend on what you ate....

ajzmum
Rating
i was told that your sugar levels will peak 1 hour after eating and should level out 2 hrs after, thats why you should check 2 hrs from the time you started eating....

amy
Rating
It depends on the type of food.

krkfive
The food you eat will affect your bloodsugar almost immediately. If you forget to test beforehand, that is ok, we all forget every once and a while. Docs usually tell you to test two hours after you eat to see how your body has responded. I.E. for those of us who are Type 1 the insulin we take up to an hour before we eat, will kick in approximately 1 to 2 hours after we have eaten, so the best way to figure out how well our insulin is working for us is to test two hours after we have eaten.
For those who are type 2, either, your body will kick in with its own insulin production shortly after you eat, or it won't and testing 1 to 2 hours after you eat will tell you what your body is doing and what you need to do in return to help your bloodsugar most likely come back down.

If you test right after you eat, you won't get an accurate result, although food effects bloodsugar immediately, our body doesn't respond immediately. Some of it may go directly to energy you are using, or it may just sit in your bloodstream. Testing 1 to 2 hours after you eat is your best bet, and when you test after a meal your sugars should be between 115 andn 130.

Good Luck!

dingding
Rating
5 minutes, 10 at the most. Think about how fast your blood sugar goes up after a low when you eat candy. If you were eating something really fatty, that would slow down the absorption and you could probably get a decent reading 15-20 min. later, but I wouldn't count on it.

Monica
DingDing is the only one who got this one right so far. I also want to add, that it depends on what you ate. There's a difference between drinking juice and eating some pasta. The juice will show up fast and spike sooner. Complex carbs and high fat foods will take longer.

This happens to us too ... occasionally I'll forget to take my daughter's sugar reading before she eats. I don't trust anything past a few minutes after she's started. It seems to start going up almost immediately.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, September 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy