Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

Ewwwwww!!!!!!!?
My sister has excessive sweat is there like a diagnosises for that??????...

For people having diabetis what are the symptoms when your sugar level is high?

Not sure if I am diabetic or not, but I do not feel well at all.?
Can elevated blood sugar cause a person to have dull taste when they eat and drink and even breathing in tastes weird?? I am very tired and it's a different kind of tired, weakness. My sugar ...

How can diabetes effect the eye sight? Does it or the medication taken for diabetes correct eye sight?
A friend have been wearing glasses for 12 years after being hospitalized for 5 days and given insulin and released his eye sight became blurring while wearing his glass the third day he was home. W...

Diabetes question?
My dad has it, and I have had itchy skin on and off for about 4 months but anyways my question is if I do have diabeties and I were to have a child, would they automaticaly have it too?...

If my grandparents from my mom's side have...?
..diabetes and high blood pressure, am I gonna get it too?...

How do you know if you have diabeties?

Does diabetes cause bad smelling urine?
im not on any new meds. would it be possible for diabetes to cause bad smelling urine.( sulfer smell, or very dark urine too?...

Is it advisable for diabetics to take sweet fruits such as grape, apple,papaya etc.?
I am a diabetic and my reading is usually about 7-8, after 8 hours fasting ( sorry, cant remember the unit on my tester). As this is a borderline case, I had actually stop my medication for a year ...

How much is the normal fasting blood sugar nomber ?

I m a diabatic patient (sugar) somebody told me i cannot eat boiled corn?

Will my diabeties affect my...?
will my diabeties affect how the dentist has to look at my teeth???...

Can anyone reccommend an alarm / timer to take blood sugars?
I need to take my blood sugar every 3 hours while awake for about a month. I work and am running place to place. Does anyone have a personal alarm they suggest that is easy to use and set the time ...

My huband is in a rush to get to his dad, they called and his blood sugar is 26. Is that coma level?
I don't know much about diabetics?
Additional Details
I am very worried at the state he will be in when my husband arrives. I don't think his mother is telling us everything ...

Read details: would you be mad?
My sister was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of two. About a year ago, my sister had to switch doctors becuase her old doctor stopped taking our insurance. Well, the new doctor said that my ...

I have type 1 diabetes and i was thinking about an insulin pump.?
Is there any pump users who recomend a certain brand. I need one that is profitable and the bluecross insurance will pay for. And if theres anyone one who doesn't have one and knows of one that ...

Is a diabetic syringe meant for INTRAMUSCULAR injections or injections into fat?

What kind of things would you like to know about DIABETES?
I'm doing a project for college and I want to write a detailed report explaining all about diabetes. I have to have 3 questions to answer throughout this report. What would you love to know ...

My daughter feels sick after eating sweets?
She rarely ever indulges in sweets, but when she does she feels nauseated. She is 14, in portion with her height (maybe more on the slender side).She eats everything sushi, indian food, mexican food, ...

Dizzy, Lightheaded and Seeing spots?
What can feeling dizzy,lighheaded, almost like feeling faint and seeing spots mean?...

Amy V
How do you calculate how much insulin to take?
My diabetes educator called and increased my insulin to 1 unit of insulin for every 12 carbs consumed. My question is, how do you calculate that exactly?

For instance, for lunch I ate 41.5 carbs. If I divide 41.5 carbs by 12, it gives me 3.46 rounded. So, in this instance, would I take 3 units or 4 units of insulin? If I only take 3 then the .46 of carbs I ate aren't covered, but if I take 4 then I would have too much insulin in my system, wouldn't I?. Obviously, I'm a little confused.... please help if you can.

Max
Rating
You should be working with a physician regarding your insulin intake. I've never heard of basing this on the number of carbs you are ingesting. What if you are at a restaurant and don't know the number of carbs?

As for your other question, take 3 units and test your blood sugar. If it's too high, take another.

SAMMY
Rating
I've never heard this question, you just give the dose the doctor prescripted you , and if that is not enough you call the docotr or go in. usually the question is how to know when to take test your blood sugar and if its too high take the dose the doc gave you.. if a doctor didn't give it to you don't take it, insulin is serious it can kill you or leave you a vegetable on a feeding tube.....

Jaime
Rating
I have a blood glucose tester which you need to draw the blood and test it. According to the number, you refer to the scale that the doctor has given you and it will tell you how much insullin to be given. You need to go to a new doctor, how do you know what your readings are.

Lauren J
This is carb counting folks. I am so surprised the number of answerers who don't do that. Yes, you figured it right. If you took 4 units you may have too much insulin onboard. But then you need to add in your correction factor if you are high. Did they tell you about this? Email me if they didn't or actually - call them! I can explain to you how it works, but not how much to give yourself. Also find out if you can get the syringes made by BD that have 1/2 unit measurements. Because in your example, if you gave yourself 3 units, you will be high the next time you test. If you have those 1/2 unit syringes, or even if you try your best to eyeball it on a regular syringe - you could give yourself 3.5 units.
My son has a similar carb ratio and it was a terrible pain while we were doing injections (he is on the pump now) because with that little insulin, if you are just a bit off, it can make a big difference. Most people take a lot more and can get away with .25 either way.

So you are carb counting wonderfully and figuring out your dose, just don't forget to correct a high. Also, I have found it helpful to either carry around a tiny calculator or ask someone to recheck my math. Good luck

Stratus
Don’t listen to the answers above. You really should be working with your provider or Dietitian on this. Advice on here is subject to people who think they know more then they may actually know. What your provider has done is prescribed you what is called an insulin to carbohydrate ratio. You are right in that you should be getting 1 unit of insulin for every 12grams of carbs that you take in. Now, you should try to plan your meals to be inline as much as possible with these 12g increments. Reason being is that you can’t or shouldn’t give partial units. Now regarding your question, it is better to round down rather then up on your insulin. 3 units in that case would be better as you don’t want to drop your blood sugars too low. Ideally you could see about adding 6-7 carbs or just over a cup of raw non-starchy veggies or half a starch exchange or half a piece of bread or half a roll ect. Those 6-7 carbs are not going to add but maybe 20-30 calories so is really insignificant however may help keep your blood sugars under better control. Carb counting is a bit of a pain but can be very useful in blood glucose regulation. Again, follow-up with your provider for further clarification. Good luck.

sue
Lots of people are on a sliding scale for taking their insulin. The kids on here are just not reading the forums where the people on sliding scales are living.

My syringes have the capability of half units! I get the .3 syringes at 31g and short.

I count whole grams of carb only, not half gram. I am assuming this is what you are refering to with the 41.5 carbs? I would count that as 42 grams. I do not decrease the grams by the grams of fiber carb.

Test your glucose, if near normal, divide the number of grams of carb by 12, inject the lower amount of insulin. check again in 2 hours to see where it is. If you need a correction dose, then do it.

This was the basic directions I was given when handed the Rx for humalog.

Once you get comfortable counting carbs you can qualify for a pump and life will be much simpler. You simply punch in the grams of carb and the pump takes care of the minute amounts of insulin down to tenths of a unit.

burger
Go with the lower calculation, 3 units. Check your blood sugar afer eating (at whatever interval your educator told you) You should be keeping a chart so you can look back. If you find the Blood sugar a little high, then next time round up to 4.
People that never heard of carb counting shouldn't go to the trouble of giving you an answer. Stick with it and do as your educator says.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy