Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

How does eating rice affect diabetic patient?
Doctors always restrict diabetic patient from having rice or rice products along with many other things.. Does it mean that rice is the primary cause for the disease? pls enlghten me with this. As i ...

Does anybody know anything about insulin pumps?
i go for traning tomorrow for the pump is it painful to ...

Can eating too much sugar cause extreme sleepiness?
I've had really low energy lately. Today I ate with some friends and it turned out that lunch was a sweet chicken salad, a very sweet jello salad, and some friendship bread. Later, I couldn...

How unreasonable is it, and what can I expect as an outcome?
The first grade has recess at 11:00, lunch at 11:30 and the next snack is at 2:30pm.

My daughter is a type 1 diabetic. Three hours is too long, especially where preceded by recess (...

What is the best thing to use on cracks on your feet when you are diabetic?

Sorry, insulin question again!?
A few days ago I asked about changing my insulin. Last night I felt so ill having done all the usual precautions due to try and raise my sugar level - 1 Mars bar and cups of sweet tea - a bit ...

Is there any hope to cure the type I diabetes?

Does anyone get cravings for alcohol?

I am diabetic - what sort of snacks can I eat?
I am insulin dependent and frightfully busy with sky high readings with crashing falls - quite specatular and no warnings!!! I need something easy to prepare and transport that will keep me steady ...

I need help with finding diabetic recipes that are easy?
My husband was recently told he was diabetic and I need help finding him recipes he can cook as well and that he will like. Also I am having trouble all the sites I go to want to use a credit card ...

What is best age to check 4 diabetes 21 or 40?

Why in diabetes eye affected first?

How can I improve my circulation?
For diabetics, how can they improve circulation? Posture helps. What else?...

Is there a relationship between diabetes and being obese?
All of the folks that I know who have diabetes (insulin dependent) are obese. They are not just a few pounds over, but rather at very unhealthy weights. Is this normal?...

What causes someone to suddenly pass out ?
Early am, while getting ready for work, he suddely fainted, and was out of it for a couple of minutes. Afterwards he was weak and had a shortness of breath. Should he see a doctor, or is this ...

What is a dangerous level of blood sugar?

Is a chronic stomach ach in children be a sign of diabetes?
My daughter has also been shakey, then I give her some OJ and she stops, and she always is thursty and she sometimes feels like she is dying from hunger. She also hasn't gained alot in a year....

Are African Caribbeans more prone to getting high cholesterol because of their genes, or their diet?

Should diabetics drink soda and eat candy?
I have been trying to get my diabetic wife to stop drinking regular soda and stop eating candy (M+Ms, Snickers, etc.) for a long time now. She is very overweight and I do not know how to explain to ...

I have type 2 Diabetes. How long before I get type 3 and type 4?
I can't wait. I am going to eat two medium pepperoni pizzas today, with a 12 pack of Schlitz....

Shayde
Does alcohol lower or raise blood sugar levels?
I keep hearing both so which is it?
and what makes the difference if both? types and such.
also if you were testing fasting glucose after drinking a little the night before how would this effect the result?

zeebya
Rating
Alcohol turns to sugar in the body. So, I believe it RAISES blood sugar levels.

Joie Ange
Rating
Alcohol raise sugar blood levels.
Alcohol it self contain sugar 6 X higher than natural sugar.
No alcohol and soda could lower sugar blood lvls.

Mike J
Rating
Raise! The calories are insane.
Alcohol is something that a diabetic, or a person worried about getting diabetes, should never touch. It's poison for the endocrine system.

Timothy C
Rating
I would see it increasing it since you are consuming carbs, but at the same time the alcohol will be diluting the blood slightly so I am not really sure.

Cerebraltissue
they all increase the sugar level. especially beer or wine which have a high content of sugar in them in the first place.

B-Dogg
it lowers it.

trust me i know i have to take alcohol classes

justwondering
The danger of alcohol in insulin-dependent diabetes is that the person could have hypoglycemia (LOW blood sugar) while those around him/her think that the person is just drunk. This could have fatal results as the person may be in critical need of treatment for hypoglycemia.

Senator D*L*P™
Rating
Some alcohol lowers your BS, but gives you a higher reading on your meter so you have to be careful when drinking. I asked my friend Allison who is also type 1 a few months ago. For more information, go to this website:

www.diabetesteentalk.com

In the forums section. I don't know the link, but my friend Allison is the moderator and you can email her if you need to know anything else. They also make diabetic beer. There is a manufacturer out in Oregon who makes it.

Autumn
Rating
Alcohol does do both. It first lowers blood sugar levels because of the alcohol content. Then, as the drink is metabolized by the body, it raises the blood sugar level, so you have to watch out for both.

The initial lowering of blood sugar happens with really sweet drinks, also, but the blood sugar will lower to a lesser degree because of the high sugar content in the drink.

By the way, the alcohol that does the least raising of blood glucose in the body (after the initial lowering of blood sugar) is Scotch.
I learned this from my doctor when I was attending college.

If you drank a little the night before (depending on your definition of little- 1 drink?) it would raise the fasting glucose test results the next morning, because the low blood sugar would have occurred at night and metabolizing the drink would have already begun, so the blood sugar would be higher in the am.

Katrina M
The "pure" alcohol itself lowers blood sugar.

The mixers (juices, sugared soft drinks, etc.) can raise it.

Calories by themselves DO NOT raise blood sugar. CARBS DO.

Cribber
First raises (depending on type of drink) then lowers. So like you drink a high carb beverage and it will go up, but then the alchohol makes it drop again. Not much difference in an overnight test.

Mr. Peachy®
Rating
Don't believe any of the misguided folks here. Read for yourself from those who know:
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa26.htm

"augments insulin secretion and causes temporary hypoglycemia " (that means it lowers blood glucose)

I've researched this myself... it definitely reduces blood sugar (temporarily). The calories don't go away though. After the drinking episode, the sugar will go back to normal or it could actually go up. Chronic drinkers, like I used to be, get the added benefit of "beer belly" which is just another tool we use to become diabetic... along with poor diet and lack of exercise. So, beware and drink wisely.

At least one person (first answer) has done their homework.

Daddy's girl
Rating
i lived with a guy once that had diabetes..while he tried to always drink light beer,,he still would have high blood sugar! yes alcohol does affect your blood sugar, & it's a long answer how,,the ingredients of the type of alcohol you are using may differ,but they come from something that had to ferment or go to sugar of some form...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy