Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Diabetes
Health Discussion Forum

What signs to look for when blood sugars are too high?
My husband is diabetic, however he does not want me to ask him what his sugars are. How can I tell if they are running high and he does not want to worry me. I think I can tell when his sugars are ...

Foods NOT to eat if you are a diabetic?
WHAT FOODS NOT TO EAT IF YOU ARE A DIABETIC?...

Wat is the difference between a diabetic and a diabetic patient?

Do i have diabetes?
I really don't want diabetes.
i think i might have it though. I eat a lot of sugar.
I have blurred vision kind of.
i'm often lightheaded
i have two bumps on my skin

Tea drinking is ok when you have diabetes?

What was your fasting when you got diagnosed with diabetes?
99....5.4 a1c
not diagnosed with diabetes just curious
thanks for your time....

Diabetes & how to cope with that & some disabilites?
For those who seriously read these: I recently found out that I am a diabetic, type 2, and I hate it. It runs in the family.. I had a bad year last year, went into renal failure because someone ...

Should a person who is watching his sugar and cholesterol intake avoid alcohol?
?...

Do I have diabetes?
Lately I find that I have been urinating more than often, have more of a hunger, feel more tired during the day and sometimes blurred vision. I do however have contacts (might possibly need my eyes ...

What is the risk of a diabetic person drinking a bottle of beer every night?

Im looking for a list of food,fruit and vegetables etc that dont contain vitiman k?
i take warfuron and cannot have vitiman ...

How can i overcome my diabetes type I without insulin.?
i have been diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 27 yrs. now i am 30 yrs old and my fasting blood glucose level remains about 120 and pp blood sugar about 180 mg/dl. my daily dose of insulin is 10 ...

Are these signs of diabetes?
Well it first started when I was pregnant with my youngest son (it's been about 1year or so) and they said I was one point away from having gentestial diabetes but I didn't think anything ...

Is anyone taking Metformin for Diabetes. How long do they take to work?

What is the fasting blood sugar level for a healthy person?
If it is 110 for 36 age male is it high, normal or going to be high?...

What is the best diet for a diabetic person?

Can diabetics eat Angel food cake?

How to control diabetes, and how to know the safe sugar levels?

Im type 2 and im having problems with a cut healing?
im a machinist and i had a hot chip from a machine leave a burn mark on my cheek. its been two months now and it wont heal. its looks like an infected zit gone wrong its gross looking. ive tried acne ...

I am a Diabetes patient. I am injecting "HUMINSULIN 30/70".Whether i have to continue life long?
I came to know 2 months back that i have high sugar nearly 370mg.in blood and ++++ in urine and acetone positive and admitted in hospital for 3 days and take treatment and ok now. My Doctor advised ...

Brown Eyed Susan
Can fats turn to glucose/ sugar after they are broken down in our bodies?
My Mother is a diabetic; she takes 2 shots daily. and now it seems she has Alzhemiers Disease, too. I just read an Answer on Yahoo Answers/ someone said that Fats turn to glucose after they are broken down in one's body; I don't recall hearing or reading that information before. thank you for your help!

mrcricket1932
Rating
That is the only way they can be used for energy..

Pegasus90
From what I understand from reading "Enter the Zone", all food will sooner or later convert/digest into glucose, some faster than others. Fat whether from another animal or from ourselves is glucose converted to long term storage, so when "burned" will convert back to glucose.

Doc8
Rating
1/2 protein, 1/10 fat, 100% carbohydrate are the sugars in the diet.

John W
Have a look at http://diabetes.hammocksurvivalguide.com/
It's got over 1,000 articles on Diabetes. You could learn a lot about it there.

chanseypokemon
Okay fats do not turn to glucose at all !!!!
Fats are not gluconeogenic !!!! When your body has excess glucose and your body can't turn it into glycogen because glycogen storage is full then fats are oxidized into Acetyl CoA which is then used to make fats. Once glucose gets turned to acetyl CoA it can't be turned back into glucose because it's a irreversible biochemical reaction.

However proteins can be turned into glucose because some of the amino acids are gluconeogenic. Proteins can also be turned into Acetyl CoA and once they do they can't go back to being turned into that amino acids.

btlrboyz
fat is different from sugar, i don't think it turns to glucose, although high fat is not good for your mom either=it could lead to heart problems~~I'm diabetic too.

JOHN M
All food groups are interchangeable in the body's metabolic process. Carbohydrates can turn sugar, fats into carbohydrates, fats into proteins, etc. There are limitations on proteins since some amino acids are termed "essential" i.e. they can't be made in the body. A diabetic has to pay special attention to his diet, and avoid excesses of any kind.

mr.answerman
The human body has no problem turning excess glucose into fat, we are very good at doing that. But the body cannot turn fat back into glucose. That does not mean that fats cannot be used for energy, the body can take stored fats and remove 2 carbons at a time. Those 2 carbons will be attached to a Co enzyme A group and the fat now can be used in the citric acid cycle for energy production. The body can use the carbon skeletons from amino acids to make new glucose molecules, and this can happen in diabetes. The protein comes from muscle and causes protein wasting, but no fat cannot be converted to glucose but amino acids from proteins can.

Elaura
I don't think so. Glucose is used for energy and if the body uses up the glucose, then it converts the stored fat for energy but fat does not actually become glucose.

The burning of fats would not hurt the sugar level of a diabetic.

Jamie
Glucose (sugar and carbohydrates) and some components of protein can be converted into body fat. Dietary fat is also stored as body fat. When you exercise or expend energy this fat is broken down into its component parts.

Fat (triglyceride)= glycerol and 3 fatty acid chains

Only the glycerol can be converted back into glucose (the glycerol is a very small component of the overall trigylceride) and this won't have a great impact on her overall blood glucose level. However, if your mom is exercising more her insulin dose may need to be adjusted.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy