Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

I swallowed mothwash...Do I need to worry?
I have a sore throat so i thought I would try to gargle some mouthwash (generic listerine) but I accidently swallowed some. Like maybe 1-2 tablespoons. Well it hurt me? I know I'm probley being ...

How can I speed up the recovery of swelling after my wisdom teeth have been removed?

Dear God I need help right now!?
i lost the top of my retainer that costs $400! my mom is super mad cause she doesn't have the money to pay for it. i need a super fast way and i mean SUPER fast way a 13 year old can make $400 ...

Anything to take for a knee bending, screaming toothache? the aspirins and tylenol aren't working.?

What is hurting in my mouth?
Well, its not really my tooth, but my gum on my lower part of the mouth are really red and sore when i eat or brush. I dont know if it is a cavity tho because my actual tooth does not hurt. It doesnt ...

Is it normal still to be bleeding 7 hours after a tooth extraction?
I had a wisdom tooth taken out today, it's not too painfull but it's still bleeding slightly
I'm running out of cotton wool balls to stick in there to stop the bleeding!
A...

Been prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg (antibiotic) for a gum infection. How long will it take to start working?

Additional Details
Who would of thought that a small infection near a wisdom tooth could cause so much pain!!??! Girlfriend says I'm a wimp, but the pain reaches halfway down my ...

How long do wisdom teeth normally take to grow through?

What can you put on a cold sore/ulcer on the inside of your mouth to make it disappear quickly?
it's one of those random, white-headed sores that hurts like hell. i've tried salt-water and listerine (pain is not a factor when it comes to getting rid of it). i've had it for about 4...

Bit My Tongue And Rinsing With Salt and Water?
I went to the dentist for a filling and he numbed me up. When I went to chew shortly after my visit I felt like I bit something metal. Later in the day I did the same thing and I looked in the mirror ...

I have an abcess tooth but i cant afford dental care what should i do ?i have all the symptoms?
FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS IVE BEEN HAVING THIS KILLER TOOTH ACHE MY JAW IS SORE MY GLANDS ARE SWOLLEN I EALLY DONT WANT THIS TO GET ANY WORST. I LIVE IN NEW ORLEANS AND I DONT KNOW OF AN FREE OR AT LEAST DICO...

This girl i know has bad breath how can she fix it?

Wisdom teeth PAIN!?
At the present I have really bad pain. I have used painkillers but they are not working are there any other Ideas U may have. I got to wait 2 weeks for dentis so dont suggest that please...... Thanks<...

What toothpaste gets your teeth the most white?

Why do they not make toothbrush holders?
So toothbrushes can fit in!...

How long have you chewed a piece of gum?

How do I stop biting my nails?!?
I hate that habit, and I really wanna stop. Please tell me any tips/tricks/ideas/etc on how to stop chewing nails.
Additional Details
i didnt mean to put it in the dental section. sorry!...

Hey I wanted 2 know if it hurts 2 get braces?
WELL IT'S CUZ I'M STILL DECIDING IF I SHOULD GET BRACES. THEY HAVE TOLD ME IT DOESN'T HURT BUT OTHER PEOPLE TELL ME IT REALLY HURTS. SO WAT DO U THINK I SHOULD DO?...

I will be getting 4 wisdom teeth removed at the same time how long does it take to heal?
does it hurt a lot after words? will my cheeks be swollen? can i get braces after getting them removed?...

How do you tell a co-worker she has bad breath?
I have a co-worker and she always talks to me. Her bad breath is killing me. I let it slide for a couple of weeks, but it’s a constant thing. How do I let her know without hurting her feelings?...

My Michelle
Would you go to the Emergency Room with a toothache?
I work in an Emergency Room, and we see these all the time.....doctors in the Er can not pull teeth or do dental work. People come to the ER for the silliest things ,and most of them are on government assitance medicaid.
Additional Details
I don't have a toothache.....just wondering what people are thinking coming in here with a toothache.

Kackalack
Why did you answer your own question? We are suppose to do that!

Woosie
Wow, that seem kind of crazy from you, answering your own question!

However, I agree with you, No I would not go to the ER for a toothache, isn`t that why they also have emergency numbers for Dentists too!

salsa
Rating
only if the pain is horrible

spongebobrogers
Usually, dentists do not have enough spaces in their schedules to meet the needs of every toothache patient that needs help. So, we are often left telling them to see their doctor if possible or go to the emergency room if it is bad and get some antibiotics. A dentist is not going to pull the tooth until the infection has gone down anyways and cannot prescribe antibiotics for patients who we do not have a record on. So, many patients like this end up in the ER to get some antibiotics to relieve the infection so when they do get an appointment the pain and infection are down so their tooth can be pulled. Unfortanutely, many of these people have no current dentist or doctor so ER is where they end up.

beebee
Rating
people just dont know what to do , be patient

michaelmaxwell2
no they are not dentist and second humm have you heard of motrin at this time in your life this is your best friend. and second if you go to the er for this you will just be filling in a seat where someones with worst problems can be helped.

freshbliss
Rating
Its a vicious circle - the government pays for health care, but not enough, so the cost of health care goes up (for all) and they still dont pat enough (to the providers)

What we need is a government medical system that works. Why is it that we are first in cost, 27th in care and 55th in equity of health care access (not my figures, the World Health Organizations)

Would I?
No - because I have one heck of a tolerance for pain.
Do I know people who have - sure, and they know you guys cant do anything but prescribe a painkiller - which most of them hope to get to tide them over until they can get to the dentist in the morning, or Monday, or whenever....

Oh - and most the folks I know dont receive government assistance, and aren't exhibiting med-seeking behavior....

I think someone is getting a little burned out ;)

Chaz
This sort of things needs to stop. They should be referred to an "Urgent care center" and sent on their way with a referal.
Better yet, post a very large sign stating that "dental distress is no longer being treated at this facility. If you need emergency dental care...please contact one of the DDS listed below"

joco_princess <3
Rating
Well I would say to get some Orajel and just wait till the nearest dentist office opens! People should have enough common sense to know that only dentists can pull their teeth!!

babygirldlls
no

mandibrown_05
Yes, I had to do it once.
I had a horrible tooth ache and needed something for the pain. They gave me a shot of demerol (sp?) but yeah I usually dont go to the er but in this case I couldnt take the pain!

MissUnpredictable
Okay.. i actually have high tolerance when it comes to pain, but last year I remember that I had the worst worst worst WORST toothache ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was crying the whole day and my luck..my dentist was out of town. I remember i took like 3 advils, i put oragel and it did not help at ALL, i heard putting vodka around the teeth would numb it..nope, didnt work. I tried all different kinds of remedies and even pain killers, but the pain was so SHARP like it was an electric shock to my brain. Next day i went to an emergency dentist and we found out that I needed a root canal bigtime. SO...I would have to say that, IF I HAD THE MONEY, i would've gone to the ER, but since my PPO insurance has a copay of 500 bux, i said that id rather die then pay that lol. UGH. bad times.

Sophiesmom
Rating
No, but i know there are no dentist there...Try this one...We get a call (i was a firefighter) at 3am, i was sleeping nicely to...Well it was for a blood nose...It had stopped bleeding before our fire truck and ambulance pulled up on scene...

: )
Thats the beauty of our health care system, people on government assistance go to the ER for toothaches, and poor people about to die gets dropped off by an ambulance at some ghetto street corner.

she wants to _know
I understand I 'm in the healthcare field and Isee strange things as well ,but to simpilfy your straight forward question is that when people are in severe pain they arent thinking clearly they just want some pain relief so take it from one health care to another show some compassionate.

billie b
I had to go for a toothache one time. I have only been to the emergency room probably four times in my life (other than for emergencies due to difficult pregnancies). My tooth had become abscessed and we live in a very rural community. No dentists on call here. And it was on a Saturday. But I was not on government assistance. Good thing I went though because I had accidentally overdosed myself on tylenol and my liver was shutting down. The tooth had started hurting earlier in the week and I could not get into the dentist until the latter part of the coming week. But, I understand where you are coming from. I used to work in an ER also.

suellenh
Rating
I had to once. I was already on antibiotics and pain meds from my dentist. It was Xmas Eve and I was traveling. For whatever reason, my pain meds stopped working. I went to the ER where they gave me different pain meds that worked; I contacted my dentist again when I returned home. So, yes, if the pain is bad enough you'll go to an ER.

Julia J
Rating
I think most people go to the ER for pain relief. What they don't know is that alot of dental offices have dentists "on-call" for nighttime emergencies. I'm sure you DO see alot of silly "emergencies". *rolls eyes* My brother and his family are always at the ER.....for the STUPIDEST things. Things that could wait till the morning and call their doctor. And yes...they are on government assistance. (i don't claim him most of the time).

So, in answer to your question....no....i wouldn't go to the ER with a toothache. :)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, December 21, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy