Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

D Block
Tooth Abscess?
Is it a disease? Tell me more about it please. Don't tell me to go to the doctor. I want to know what it is before I go. Can I die from it?, etc...

PS. I had a tooth abscess for 7 years, and I didn't know it was a problem til now.

tamtt
I'm a certified medical assistant, so I can answer this question to the best of my knowledge. An abscess is not deadly, although it can be very painful and cause you to be sick at times. An abscess comes from an infection somewhere on the tooth, sometimes it can be in between the teeth and therefore you can't see it. Therefore you really need to go to the dentist because any type of infection or sore of any kind in the mouth is not normal. It can be fixed. Do remember if not treated by a dentist it can make you very sick and is painful.

mopar_muscle97
Rating
i don't think you had one for 7 years. what it is, is an infection
of your tooth. that causes a puss filled bubble to puff out on the gums around the tooth that is infected. it's not a disease.
no you wont die. it hurts so you would know it was a problem.
where did you hear this it sounds to me that's not what you have .

Garden by M
Rating
why would you not go to a dentist for 7 yrs? An abscess over time can cause the bone structure under your gumline to dissolve. The result may be that that tooth and others affected near it will need to be pulled.

Could you die? Well, it's possible if you have heart problems, the bacteria can get in your system and travel to the heart. Active infections are best treated by meds and possibly removal if it's not possible to cure.

Elmo
Rating
I have a mouth ulcer does that count?

pegasus
A tooth abscess is a collection of infected material (pus) resulting from bacterial infection of the center (pulp) of a tooth.

Alternative Names:
Periapical abscess; Dental abscess; Tooth infection; Abscess - tooth
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
A tooth abscess is a complication of tooth decay . It may also result from trauma to the tooth, such as when a tooth is broken or chipped. Openings in the tooth enamel allow bacteria to infect the center of the tooth (the pulp). Infection may spread out from the root of the tooth and to the bones supporting the tooth.

Infection results in a collection of pus (dead tissue, live and dead bacteria, white blood cells) and swelling of the tissues within the tooth. This causes a painful toothache . If the root of the tooth dies, the toothache may stop, but the infection remains active and continues to spread and destroy tissue.

alpine
Rating
The others have defined it, now will you go to the Dentist????????

gmaof2
Rating
A tooth abscess is generally caused by food that gets impacted into a cavity in the tooth. Can you die from it? Yes if it is not taken care of the abscess (pus) can spread to the nearest organ to your mouth,-YOUR BRAIN. You can die from infection, You need a course of antibiotics as soon as possible.

ladyofthehollow
Rating
even in this modern age- people still die from UNTREATED abscess in the mouth. usually an abscess happens when the nerve of a tooth dies and well, rots and bacteria feed there eventually eroding the bone in the area. it would be a good idea to see your dentist ASAP. antibiotics can get the infection under control and the dentist can definitely help you.

dre
Rating
Its like a zit you can't pop. Nor would you want to if you could. It's a localized infection in the bone that slowly eats away the bone until the tooth is not savable. worst thing about an abscess is it can slowly get bigger to undermine several teeth. In rare cases it can just spread until it takes out 5 to 6 teeth. If treated promptly the bone will return to fill in the once infected area treated, so the teeth can stabalize.

cdf-rom
Usually you are aware of it much sooner, because they are usually very painful. It is rare for an abscess not to be painful though I know at least one person whose face swelled up and his tooth was abscessed and he did not have the symptom of pain.

Abscesses are pockets of infection around the root of a tooth. They are caused by bacteria, and once they are started, even if you take antibiotic, it usually must be drained, because the pressure is so high it causes lots of pain.

If an abscess is not drained, the infection can spread to other teeth, or to the sinus cavities, and to the rest of the body. Any infections should be treated. Untreated infections can eventually kill a person. If an abscess is not drained, it can lead to loss of other teeth, or infection of the jaw bone, requiring surgery.

Bottom line: go see your dentist/doctor and stop hesitating! This is urgent, vitally important to your health!

Helzabet
Go to the dentist. He won't do nothin' 'til ya been on antibiotics for a week or so. Tell him it really hurts, get good pain killers. Save a couple for your next appointment, then take 2 with a beer, you'll be OK!!!!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.004
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy