Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Why do brits have poor dental hygiene?

Additional Details
So ONLY people on tv that are british have bad teeth? How did that become a stereotype if there wasnt a bit of ...

Is this supposed to happen?
WHEN I CLOSE MY MOUTH MY TOP TEETH GO OVER MY BOTTOM TEETH DO I NEED BRACES

ALSO MY TOP TEETH GO ALL THE WAY DOWN ALMOST OVER MY GUMLINE

ALSO MY 2 BOTTOM TEETH GO UP AND DOWN AND...

What brand and colour is your toothbrush?

Additional Details
Mine is pink! Forgot what brand it is thought, ...

How do get rid of bad breath?????

Be honest...how many of you DON'T brush your teeth before going to bed?

Have you had a wisdom tooth removed? Did it hurt much?

Additional Details
I'm not a big fan of blood... or pain for that matter. I get the feeling I'll have a lot of both....

Do you brush your teeth first or have breakfast first?

Are you supose to throw away your toothbrush after so many times?

How to stop braces from hurting? I just got them today?
I got braces on in the morning and they hurt like really really bad. I took some medicine but it doesn't seem to help at all. please help?...

How many times a day do you brush your teeth?

When did you last go to the Dentist?
Not happy I have 7 appointments....

My partner has really bad breath?
my partner has been suffering with bad breath he has been to the dentist and had them cleaned and brushes his teeth twice a day can anyone recommended anything as it is really ...

Do retainers hurt?
I'm getting my braces of soon and I'm getting a removable retainer on top and one gued down to the bottom. Anyway back to the question, do retainers hurt as much as braces?...

How bad to root canals hurt?
I have a dentist appointment today in about an hour and a half for a root canal. I've never had one before and I'm a bit worried. How much does it hurt? How long will it hurt? Will it hurt ...

After you use mouthwash are you suppose to wash your mouth out with water?
Also, what is the order your suppose too brush, floss, and use mouthwash??

When you wake up, should you eat before or after you brush your teeth?

Do you walk around while you brush your teeth?
Can you help resolve a question between my spouse and me? Do you stay in the bathroom the whole time while you are brushing your teeth or do you walk around the house?...

Does getting your teeth pulled hurt?

COLOR IDEAS 4 braces?!? help!!?
wut colors should i get 4 my braces 2morrow ant ideas!?!
Additional Details
wut colors should i get 4 my braces colors!! I'm a ...

In 45 minutes im getting braces?
well im 14,
and in 45 minutes iom getting braces :(
can anyone give me some tips for what to expect, stuff for the pain, etc?
im really scared.
Additional Details

raasbee
Should i go to dentist???
i am 38 years old and the last time i went to the dentist was when i was 8....my old dad (god bless his soul) once told me to never bother going because as soon as you go they start drilling and pulling and all sorts of other things just to make up the bill....my dad had perfect teeth before he went in just for a check up and then had a load of problems after that....that advice stook with me ever since....i dont have any problems at the moment with my teeth but is it worth going just for a check up.?

loveisinevitable
if ur scared of going or just don't want to bcuz of what ur dad said then don't. u don't NEED to go to the dentist to have healthy clean teeth. sometimes it helps sometimes it just makes ur teeth worse. just like going to the doctor or anything else. but, you've gotta take some chances to progress in life. i say just go and get a check up and a teeth cleaning. if ur teeth are already clean and healthy then there's really no point. but, if u have cavities it would be better for them to get them filled,in less of course the dentist messes up or something. like i said it could be good it could be bad, you never know until you just do it and try it out.....

hope this helped somewhat:)

pinkstarblooming
I recently went for my first dental check up in 20 years. The last time I went was when I was 9 years old.
I've got to be honest, I really was expecting the worst, but luckily, I had no problems with my teeth, but she did find damage to my jaw, from being hit by a car, when I was 10.
So no, not all dentists are out to make a buck, I should imagine there are some unscrupulous ones out there, but if I was you, go for a check up, if they say you need work and you don't agree, you don't have to have it done. It's still your decision at the end of the day.
Good luck. ;-)

JustMy Opinion
Rating
Well yes, because i hadnt went in yrs either and I recently got dental insurance so I went for the heck of it... turns out, I have 4 cavaties and if I let them go they would only get worse and worse with time and cost more in the long run. Instead of fillings I would have to get a root canal or my teeth pulled because of the intolerable pain!!! I didnt even notice i had cavities! So, it is a good thing... I think you should, just to know what's goin on in there....
Also, they have new cleaning tools and its not as uncomfortable to have em cleaned...
Go for it!! You 'll feel refreshed after! And, the dentist does not lie about ur teeth =D

IAmJamieLee
go to the dentist!! go now!! things have changed, and a lot of dentists dont even USE a drill anymore!! just bite the bullet and go

swimbike21
Rating
Oh my gosh! GO TO THE DENTIST!!

I just got back from a health conference and one of the seminars was on dental care. They showed one lady that hadn't been to the dentist in like 20 years. From the plaque on her teeth it was starting to rot and deteriorate the teeth and the bones that hold your teeth in. And she brushed 2-3 times a day!!

The reason why they find all kinds of problems is that he never had the preventative care to stop all the problems! You should visit at least once a year, if not every six months.

richard t
yep.definately

busty bertha
yes do go not all dentists are bad and think of it if anything does happen you would have to go always made my son go he is 14 and it's a must don't be nervous good luck.

death is always near
yes its always good to check

stopbeingretarded
you should go to the dentist. they wouldn't do something if they didn't have to...assuming you have a good dentist. but if you have insurance, go! if you get infections in your gums and stuff it'll lead to life long problems!

TheMadCatter
Rating
Your dad had these problems before he went to the dentist. The dentist did not create problems. His just had not given him any pain or problems yet. 90% of what dentists do is PREVENTION. Go to the dentist. Did your dad live in a cave or something?

Mean Carleen
Go

andy
Just because your teeth look perfect does not mean they are. The dentist can detect other problems also such as oral cancer.

belive-me!!
OMG GO TO THE DENTIST!!!!

Dont worry about the cost because on the nhs its all one set price so u can have all fillings extractions or woteva dun for 43.60 (no matta how many u have its all included) so 9 times outta 10 they will only do wot actually needs dun!!!

check the nhs website or ring ur local dentist for more price info!!!

Julia
Just go and have them cleaned. If you don't have any problems at 38 thats great, but you still need to go every 6 months.

trolleology
Yes, you should go. They've done studies that support a correlation between a health mouth and a healthy heart.

I skipped on the dentist for about 15 yrs. I'm 37. I ended up having to go to have a filling replaced so I decided to get on the 6 month check up plan. After 15 yrs of skipping, I was fortunate enough to not have any cavities. One might think then why not skip another 15 years? I'd rather go regularly to ensure my teeth last as long as i do. Plus my hygenist is hot!

Elana
Rating
Its amazing how long you can go believing that there is nothing wrong with your teeth. You get used to pain, you learn where you can chew and where you can't, etc.

He had loads of problems BEFORE than that, but the Dentist forced him to deal with them.

Ultimately, unless you take exquisite care of your teeth, if you don't go to a Dentist they will start falling out and you'll end up with dentures.

You could have very hard teeth and be very lucky ... or you could be just kidding yourself trying to avoid the pain. Statistically, you are far more likely to be the latter.

I'm sure there are dentists out there who prescripe procedures that you don't need (just like Doctors and mechanics) but the majority do not.

You can either follow your Dad's advice or the accepted wisdom of the medical community.

Dr. Albert, DDS (UNITED STATES)
IT'S A PLAIN FACT THAT 75%OF THE AMERICAN ADULT POPULATION HAVE PEPIODONTAL DISEASE.
YOU COULD BE AMONG THE LUCKY LOWER BUNCH.
JUST GO FOR A CHECKUP AND PEACE OF MIND.

Steve B
Rating
you bettcha.plaque can and will buildup even if not visible to you and first thing ya know gum disease sets in and loss of teeth...also,xrays will show micro cavities that can't be seen yet........heart disease can be caused by bad teeth and gums so there are benefits to denatl checkups for the whole body.....you may have nothing wrong,but,at least ya will know,and if you do have an emergency,you will have a dentist,good luck

Amy P
Yes, you should go for a cleaning and exam. You could have problems brewing and not even know it. All you do its get the exam, xrays and cleaning done. If the dentist comes up with a laundry list of things that need to be done, YOU decide what things you want to take care of. At least you will know what's going on in your mouth.

•·.·´¯`·.·• xVIcTorIAx •·.·´¯`·.
Rating
if you find a good dentist they are not going to pull out teeth if there is nothing wrong with them so just go you be fine.

wildgrace
Rating
Yes, you many have a problem you cant see that a dentist can find.

Derric Mac
The thing is this... Yeah you may go years and not feel any issues with your mouth, but you don't see whats actually going on under the surface. You could have all sorts of issues under your teeth, with your gums, your throat, etc...
Your dad was in a state of ignorance about dental issues, as most people worldwide are. And when I say ignorant, please don't get upset without knowing the exact definition of the word. People just don't know... You may never feel any issues and then one day you go to bite into something and your tooth comes off. then what, you want a dentist to fix everything. But by that time your whole mouth needs repair. Repairs that will be costly, time consuming, and painful.

Radiator
Rating
A Dentist can spot many illnesses, he is not only looking at your teeth.

The Rugby Player
I have been, many years ago, exactly in the same situation.
I had been convinced to go to the dentist and I had five fillings.
Your call Mate.

batraylover
You should definately go to the dentist. Even if there is nothing wrong with your teeth it's always a good idea to make sure that your gums are healthy, have your teeth cleaned, and that you have no bacteria or anything else. The mouth holds a lot of germs. Staying away from the dentist that long is never a good idea.

lord wright
getting striaight to the point...a dentist checks gums teeth and oral tiisues for cancer and other nasty problems .get your *** down there at least for piece of mind to known nothing is going on.did you ever consdier the fact that you could refuse treatment ??? and so could have your dad.....allways blame the dentist eh ???? suprise suprise...ever thought it was the patients fault ?

richbitch
The advice stook with you huh? Well you should go, just to check it out, to see if you have any cavities that need to be filled.

Hayden W
Rating
you probably should get just a regular checkup but nothing else if you want to be precausious i've gone to the dentist every 6 months for my whole life and take it from me they're not bad people i know them personally don't knock it till you try it

angel due 12/11
Rating
Yes, there are more problem the just the one you can see. You will need to get a full check up of the mouth to make sure that there are no underline problems. You shloud have a cleaning every 6 months. Please go.

Kelly
Everytime I see a question like this on here, I just cringe.
If you are even questioning about going, you should probably go.

GO TO THE DENTIST.

Rachel
Yes, you should go to the dentist. The dentist will help you keep your teeth healthy. If there is any problems that may arise your dentist can tell you that.

I love going to the dentist. I go every six months to get my teeth cleaned. I love that just cleaned feeling. I could go to sleep while they are being cleaned. When I had my braces on, I had to go every four months to get them cleaned, I wish I could still go that often.

My teeth also has the tendency to get cavities. By going to the dentist, he found out that my teeth are soft, probably caused by me being sick when I was a child. Because I go to the dentist like I'm supposed to, he became aware of that problem and I use a mouth rinse that he gives me to make my teeth stronger and prevent cavities. He would make a whole lot more money by filling cavities than he would selling the the mouth rinse.

A funny side point....I take very good care of my teeth and go to the dentist like I'm supposed to but I never to to the doctor for check ups like I'm supposed to!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy