Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Mouth is very smelly,how to solve,always wash,still smell?
my mouth is very smelly,i always wash,but people can not ...

Bloating and constipation after giving up smoking?
Anyone suffered the above?...

Is it bad for your teeth to brush 5 or 6 times a day?

Any tips for toothache?

Tooth problem?
I have had two root canals on the same tooth, still a problem. There is a crown over it now but it still gives me pain from time to time. What should I do??...

Why do i...?
Why do i feel sick when i brush my teeth everytime ?...

Is it possible to regrow your teeth?
I was wondering is it possible to regrow your teeth ...

Can I die from a tooth infection?
I've had an abcessed tooth for 3 years. The gums opened a drain in my gums itself and the pain and swelling came and went several times before finally I had to go to the dentist. I got ...

Is having a root canal painful?

I need dental work but don't have insurance, will dentists accept payments?
I am overdue, by about twenty years, for some dental work and I am at the point were I am starting to look kind of English and the pain is becoming`somewhat unbearable. Will dentists accept payment ...

To the dentist or anyone else out there, is 12 years old a good age to get braces?
i keep getting conficting info, i hear that if you get braces too soon you have to repeat the process all over again. is that true?...

HEEEEEEELP! is this normal?
I just got my wisdom teeth pulled and it hurts A LOT!!!! also, it is bleeding a lot. the bleeding has gone done, but not much. its been about four hours.
what should i do to relieve the pain ...

How to get rid of scars on my teeth from braces?
i have small scars on my teeth from my braces? what is the easiest way to either get rid of them or cover them up?...

Braces trouble?
okay i got braces 5 months ago and i go to my apointment each 2 months but when they put the wire on me the next week the wire is poking me and my cheek rips i need help how can i prevent that not to ...

I had surgery on my gum and jaw.I'm tired of eating jello and applesause, what else would you suggest?
I probably will be on soft foods---really soft for at least a week.
I'm drinking yogurt mix, eating jello and applesause. Give me some good suggestions of what to eat...(I can't even ...

I get braces today :( ?
Well, i have an idiot of a dentist and he just realized about 3 months ago that my back teeth were growing in sideways and that i needed braces. I really don'twant them and my teeth don't ...

Children and Braces?
My daughter is 9 yrs now. Last year she was refered to orthodontist for braces but because she still had some milk teeth was not recommended to have braces untill older.

Her front top ...

Help! What causes bad breath and how can I get rid of it?
Well I have braces and I brush at least twice a day everyday. I don't floss a lot though. Is that why? How can I get rid of my bad breath?...

My 11 year old daughter has a dentists appointment on her birthday?
Shall I perspone it to another day?
Additional Details
My daughter is just going for a general checkup. Do you think it would be such a big deal if it's in the morning?...

I gotta have my wisdom teeth out in the new year what can anyone tell me about it?

Additional Details
I gotta get 4 out so i will be knocked out thank god I was more wanting to know what to expect with the ...

mommy of two :)
Put to sleep for wisdom teeth?
I went to the dentist today and he said I need to have my 3 remaining wisdom teeth extracted by an oral surgeon because he is afraid to pull them out because they are to close to a nerve that can leave your lip and tongue paralized or numb. He said I have to be put to sleep. I had one of my wisdom teeth pulled out a year ago with just novicaine. I dont understand why he wouldn't pull my others out without having to be put to sleep. Does this sound right???

wildand5150
Rating
Because he's going to cut your teeth out. I had it happen to me, when you wake up they're will be two strings hanging out of your mouth (like two tampons, in fact I think they might have been) The operating room is freezing cold and you'll probably have to pea real bad.

pretzgolf
Get gassed ,good advice.

PaganPoetess
If they are wrapped around the nerve or too close then yes, oral surgery is best. I had all four of mine cut out at one time and I had to be put under. He just wants to make sure that none of the nerves are damaged in the extraction.

kids and cats
Being put to sleep for a procedure like this is not the same as being put to sleep for major surgery. Obviously, you're not intubated - the ventilator would seriously get in the way of the dental work being done :-)
They do what is called "float" you. You get enough of something like Versed or Fentynl to induce a light sleep, and a kind of amnesia about the whole event. It wears off quickly, and doesn't leave you with a druggy feeling.
And, one of the other respondents is right, some things you don't want to be awake for.

Deirdre O
Rating
Sometimes the teeth are impacted in the jaw bone and it is less stressful for the patient to be under a general anestetic. You could ask him if he would use vertsid. Good luck.

fifi
Rating
It is easier for Oral Surgeons to work on there patients if they are put to sleep because there is a lot of tugging and crunching and it is faster

hmcdds
Rating
You can choose to be awake, even for impacted teeth. They may prefer you to be asleep because they can crank your jaw open wider if you're unconscious. They don't have to be quite as "delicate" if you are asleep.

mz.thang
yes it's normal dont worry about it if he said that than you better listen you dont want a paralized tongur and lip

regerugged
Yes. Pulling three teeth takes a lot of time. If Novocaine starts wearing off while the Dr. is working on you, you would feel some serious pain.
I had a tooth pulled under general anesthetic. I was laying there thinking "when is this stuff going to take effect?" I was already in the recovery room and waking up at the time.
You will get a long and good night's sleep that evening as an added benefit.

imacdaddy01
Because of how the tooth is fused to the Jawbone, you wont be able to have it pulled. The oral surgeon will cut each tooth in four parts and remove each piece by piece. It's not a procedure that you'd want to be awake for. I had mine done by a great oral surgeon and felt little pain afterwards.

Kristy
Rating
The oral surgeon will cut them out rather than pull them and risk hitting the nerve. You don't want to be awake when they are cutting your gums open.

laur laur the dinosaur.
Rating
i got this procedure about 6 months ago and my 4 wisdom teeth were still in my gums. all they do is they put u asleep with an iv. (i freaked out so they gave me laughing gas when they put in the iv) lol. and u wake up and u feel fine. then, on the way home u will start to feel like crap. ur cheeks will swell and u will be unable to eat solid food for a couple of days. i couldn't even swallow my pain medicine so my mom crushed it and put it in some pudding. i actually cried when it would wear off because it hurt so bad. u will feel like crap for about 3-4 days. but then u'll be fine. i promise.

amy
Rating
I think that if the dentist doesnt want to risk you being numb for the rest of your life, you should trust him. Even though I have seen people getting they're all 4 wisdom teeth with only lidocaine. it all depends where the wisdom teeth are located at.

Sam
Rating
The reason for the referral is due to the risks of the procedure. If you do not want to be put to sleep, discuss this with the oral surgeon. I've done some gawdawful procedures on people who do not wish to be put to sleep and they made out just fine. If you understand how difficult the procedure might be, you might ask about remaining awake. If you are a good patient and able to cooperate, the surgeons might be just as happy if they don't have to put you to sleep. You WILL have a consultation visit prior to the actual procedure and this would be the right time to discuss this with the surgeon who will actually be removing your teeth.

tessasmomy
Rating
Probably because of how they grew in. The roots could be tangled around nerves. Or maybe they have not come in all the way and have to be cut out. I was put to sleep to have mine removed.

kay_flood
Rating
It sounds absolutey right. The wisdom teeth can be very tricky and they come very close to the trigeminal nerves which control the muscles of the face. Most general dentists won't pull them even if they can see them, and many can't be seen. You are much safer going to an oral surgeon. And sleeping thru the procedure is the best way for the surgeon to assure you won't move while he is working near all those sensitive nerves, and is actually alot easier on you. Don't be a wuss, go to the oral surgeon.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, October 31, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy