Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

A painful white sore below my gum in my mouth?
i have had it for about 4 days. it is right where my gums end and where my cheek begins. It looks like a cut, but it is white so i didn't know if it was a canker sore. It looks a little ...

My friend has bad breath.?
My friend has bad breath. she told me and i know its kind of true. she said that whenever she brushes her hard pallet and her tongue..is when she can smell it. but it often smells really bad. Some ...

What stains teeth more, coffee or tea?

Scared about Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on Friday and I'm very scared. But more importantly, my boyfriend's father's retirement party is on Saturday and I really want to go. Will I be ...

Is getting your wisdom teeth pulled as bad as I think it is? I will survive right? lol?
Im 25 and my wisdom teeth are KILLING ME! They weren't really bothering me until this year and now the whole left side of my mouth is swollen and infected! Im just such a baby when it comes to ...

Pls answer I am worried?
I have red spots in my mouth, on the roof, and on the inside of ym lips. and i also have white ones like blisters, but really painful, tey are white, and i have surrounded all my mouth. i just woke ...

Whats the best thing to eat after having your wisdom teeth out?

Can you really die from an abscess tooth?

I`m getting braces in 2 weeks.. Does it hurt alot?
what should I do to prepare myself and what should I expect
Additional Details
how long do you think im going to have them on...I only ...

Which Gum is best...?
In your opinion what is the best gum to chew...?...

What is a natural alternative to tooth paste?

How long will my braces hurt?
i am in so much pain and i havent even eaten since monday!...

If I have a dream about all my teeth falling out; what does it mean?
Will your answer change if there was blood coming from any other orifice?...

How do you skip and chew gum at the same time?

Please help..very very bad toothache?
i have had toothache since saturday so i rang the dentist yesterday,but they couldnt fit me in til today.so ive been taking painkillers,clove oil on it.nothing has even eased the pain.so i went to ...

Baby teeth is it normal at 16?
Hey all my molars and a few other teeth are still baby teeth? is this normal? I was told by the dentist that i wud have them all pulled out....but keeps telling me this..and that i shud have braces ...

Dentist! are they called doctors??
do a dentist have Dr. in from of their names
just curious because i never noticed it
Additional Details
i am aware that they are ...

What color Braces bands should I get?
I am Getting my braces on tomorrow and I was wondering If anyone had any suggestions I was kinda thinkin Blue N Pink!
Any Suggestions I will greatly appreciate! ...

Ways to get rid of bad breath (not the obvious ones)?

Is there anyone else out there petrified of the dentist??
i have to admit, i never used to look after my teeth and always refused to go to the dentist! i regret it now coz my teeth are now ******! i am in a waitin list now for a hospital to have my bad ...

AC Bloggs
It is known that anorexia/bulimia sufferers have bad teeth - but do they also have poor nails & hair?
If so, Is the damage irreversible?

steelhead3686
It's just the teeth with bulimia becase the acid in the vomit eats the protective enamal off the teeth.

succubus
Rating
Yes, the condition affects every part of the body. Depending on the degree of damage it cannot be reversed. The person dies with those areas still affected.

Lovely
Rating
The hair and nails damage is reversible, once an anorexic eats properly.... but in the case of bulimia, the bad teeth are caused by the constant exposure to the stomach acids, when they vomit... and that unfortunatly is not reversible.

CYP450
The bad teeth is due to stomach acid eroding the enamel. The bad nails and hair is due to nutrition- and CAN be reversible in most cases. Some people end up with permanently thin hair.

Rating
Another sign of someone deep into their bulimia disease is a skinny body with a swollen face. My girlfriend was really sick with that and she turned herself into a monster.
The reason for Anorexia and Bulimia sufferers to have bad hair and nails is because they are depriving themselves of nutrition. And absolutely! If the problem is stopped and they start the healing process through recovery then they will find their hair and nails growing properly again.
I hope that this is not something that you are doing to yourself or thinking of doing.
Just remember that we are like plants in alot of ways. We need water and nutrition and sunlight to continue to grow, but once taken from us we start to wither away not leaving much perhapes even death. But if things are replenished we can become healthy again. We may not ever be a 100% as before but recovery is possible.

?
The damage isn't irreversible if they beat their addiction and starting eating healthy. And yes, they do also have poor nails and hair as well since their bodies aren't getting enough nutrients to keep up those stuff. In some cases their hair falls out!!

xquis81
You are puking up all the nutrients, so YES!

ktray1275
Rating
yes they do and the damage can only be healed over time

lyona22
Every system in the body is affected by lack of nutrients. The skin, hair, and nails have very rapidly dividing cells, however they're not vital. They also depend on nutrients to thrive, therefore if they aren't vital and there are no nutrients coming in to support the growth, it will suffer. The body will use its reserves for more important activity, like brain activity circulation, kidney function etc. Over time, people with anorexia lose their menstrual cycle, because again, the body needs whatever energy stores it has for more important functions. As these stores run out and there is added strain on the body to stay alive, you'll see kidney failure as well as heart attacks. If it goes that far, the damage may or may not be irreversible.

t s
yes but proper nutrition can have a noticible impact in reversing the damage

i ♥þîÑk☆
Yes because lack of food means lack of nutrients that are needed to make the skin, hair, nails and teeth healthy...I'm sure it's reversible...

It will take time, but your hair, skin,and nails can become healthy again... I don't know about teeth though...

dasdesperado
Rating
Not really. The bad teeth is caused by vomiting, leading to excess acidic juice on the teeth, causing them to decay. But if they're not getting all their required vitamins and minerals then their body will suffer (including hair and nails)

Kitt
Rating
Yes it is true. Your body is not getting the correct nutrition's for your hair and nails. You don't keep calcium in your body long enough of it to get absorbed. You teeth lose their enamel because of your stomach acid. Eating disorders effect all body parts until they shut down. It can be reversible if you get help before damage is too far along. Good luck and please get help - your life is worth it! Trust me.

SV
Yes.It can be reversed.If you treat it properly .

JD
it will affect every person differently but yes in most cases hair and nails suffer as well.
The damage is reversible because as a sufferer begins to eat healthy again his/her body is slowly restoring nutrients needed for strong healthly looking hair/nails. It takes time but it can be fixed.
P.S. Hope whomever you may be talking about is seeking help and the advice of their doctor.

kohde_babe
Rating
the damage can get better but it will take a while for everything to fix itself propley, i use to know a girl with anorexia and yes your nails and hair can also be very damaged from this.

Maggs
Rating
They will suffer from bad teeth, hair and nails because of lack of nutrients and vitamins. It is reversable. Most vitamin tablets help prevent hair thinning and cracked nails.

GCTA
Rating
Of course they do.

By not eating, or throwing up what you eat it results in greasy or dead, limp hair, and your nails will usually turn yellow because of the lack of nutrients that would normally get to those places!

drbill1999
Yes, they may also have poor quality nails and hair.

This is due to the fact that people with anorexia/bulimia may be deficient in certain nutrients (vitamins, minerals, proteins) that are important for the growth of nails and hair. Consequently when the body does not have enough of those nutrients, it uses what it has for more critical parts of the body, such as the heart and brain instead of hair and nails. Additionally, especially with anorexics, the body's metabolic rate changes - partially through changes in points set in the brain and through the thyroid function. This also leads to changes in nail and hair growth.

The problem with teeth in anorexics/bulimics is more than just from malnutrition. It is also because many of these are "bingers" who make themselves vomit. The stomach acids damage the teeth over time.

The damage is not irreversible as long as the person resumes a normal diet. If the person is anorexic or bulimic they should seek assistance to help them.

Betsy's & Tory's Mewse
Rating
possibly. probably due to not getting the nutrients from the food they eat then purge. reversible if they are treated for the diseases

Jackeeeee
Yes bulimics and people who suffer from anorexia have very poor hair. Their hair begins to shed. And it thins out. Im never heard anyone talk about this. But im sure after the person gets healthy, they will gain back the nutrients their body needs for healthy hair and nails.

Le Baron
Eventually it will lead down that road because the body is not receiving the right nutrional food. It is imperative that your body is given Calcium, Vitamin C, E and F...it is important to feed it fruit and veg, the body is a very sensitive machine. If you do not apply it with the requirements you will die from Malutrition.

Alexa K
EAT. A healthy diet will improve all aspects of your body. When I say eat, I mean eat a healthy balanced diet. Make sure you are eating a lot of protein!

I knew a girl who was anorexic. After a few years her hair was falling out. She was half bald and had very thin hair. She ended up in the hospital.

your nails will become brittle and fragile due to low calcium (also your bones will be effected!)

There are tons of health side effects. I suggest looking it up online.

Wiked
Rating
most likely yes... your body is not getting the right amount of vitamins and nutrients it needs to produce healthy hair and nails... I'm sure some of the damage is reversible you just need to take better care of yourself and if you suffer from either of these disorders please seek help... they are potentially life threatening... poor hair and nails would be the least of your worries...

BJ
Rating
yes it can do that! It could be if caught in time

MK <><
yes they do have brittle hair and poor nails

ambertottie
Yes everything is damaged especially the heart, as its starved of potassium. Your hair and nails will get their strength back when you have the correct minerals and vitamins. Everyone worries about what they look like on the outside, you also need to take care of what you are inside. Your insides need to be healthy for your outside to glow.

linkysplinx
Rating
the bad teeth is due to the acid in the vomit causing the teeth enamel to erode.

the nails and hair on the other hand relate to poor nutrition, lack of nutrients and minerals essential for nail & hair growth.

the damage to the teeth is not reversible but you can always improve the hair and nails.

anorexia and bulimia can cause a lot of other health problems - more serious than this. people suffering from either conditions should seek advice from their gp.

Christopher A
That is true because they are malnourished. I Imagine once they start eating right, the conditions should improve.

Riverrunsred
Rating
Yes from poor nutrition

L.K.
every thing has an effect on every thing elses in the body. so yes anorexia/bulimia sufferers do have poor nails and hair. When I was anemic my hair was thinner and my nails broke if I looked at them funny. and that was just from a lack of iron. Now imagine a lack of all nutrients. Not only are teeth, nails and hair affected, but your heart. kidneys. liver, gallbladder, skin, lungs, muscels, every thing is effected when people are starving and that is what anorexia/bulimia dose to a person. So yes anorexia/bulimia affects every thing even nails and hair.

Some effects are reversible when you start eating again. Some are not. and it depends on how long you've been doing it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy