Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Im sooo scared!Im getting braces!Do they hurt?

Hate how dentist makes small talk while I'm on the chair.?
Okay, I am going to the dentist in about an hour and I had to have this particular one because the man I prefer is booked out. This dentist however makes a lot of small talk, asking me about college ...

How do i get whiter teeth in 1 month??

I have bad & crooked teeth, who do I see first?
Should I see the orthodontist first or the dentist first?
My teeth are in bad condition and they're also crooked, havent seen a dentist in 10years
I thought I'll confront my ...

I know that eating too much toothpaste can be fatal, but how much is too much?

Additional Details
I don't have an obsession with toothpaste, I have a perfectly normal relationship with toothpaste. I do, ...

Braces!!!????
Does anyone the average cost of braces???...

Omg braces!!!!?
I will be getting braces soon and im totally affraid. I mean yea i want them because my teeth are a mess but i hate pain. I just hate pain. Can someone tell me the process of getting braces and also ...

What if you break your right hand what do you do?

A painful white sore below my gum in my mouth?
i have had it for about 4 days. it is right where my gums end and where my cheek begins. It looks like a cut, but it is white so i didn't know if it was a canker sore. It looks a little ...

My friend has bad breath.?
My friend has bad breath. she told me and i know its kind of true. she said that whenever she brushes her hard pallet and her tongue..is when she can smell it. but it often smells really bad. Some ...

What stains teeth more, coffee or tea?

Scared about Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on Friday and I'm very scared. But more importantly, my boyfriend's father's retirement party is on Saturday and I really want to go. Will I be ...

Is getting your wisdom teeth pulled as bad as I think it is? I will survive right? lol?
Im 25 and my wisdom teeth are KILLING ME! They weren't really bothering me until this year and now the whole left side of my mouth is swollen and infected! Im just such a baby when it comes to ...

Pls answer I am worried?
I have red spots in my mouth, on the roof, and on the inside of ym lips. and i also have white ones like blisters, but really painful, tey are white, and i have surrounded all my mouth. i just woke ...

Whats the best thing to eat after having your wisdom teeth out?

Can you really die from an abscess tooth?

I`m getting braces in 2 weeks.. Does it hurt alot?
what should I do to prepare myself and what should I expect
Additional Details
how long do you think im going to have them on...I only ...

Which Gum is best...?
In your opinion what is the best gum to chew...?...

What is a natural alternative to tooth paste?

How long will my braces hurt?
i am in so much pain and i havent even eaten since monday!...

jr.wildfire
Is it ok to chew sugar free chewing gum with braces?
I know you aren't supposed to chew gum with braces, but what about sugar free gum? Some people have told me that its ok with sugar free though. If anyone has any good or bad experiences please tell me. I need to know if its ok or not.

uda880
It's not because of the sugar that you can't chew gum. But because of the elasticity of the gum that could stick to your braces and stretch or break the metallic scaffolds.

Although sugar does still cause tooth decay by promoting bacteria growth, that's not the only reason.

Hi I play in traffic
Rating
It's ok you can eat and chew anythingyou want it's no big deal just brush regularly

KJ
It doesn't have to do anything with the ingredient content. It's just that gum can get stuck in your braces and ruin them. Just like you shouldn't eat popcorn or take huge bites of apples with braces, you shouldn't chew gum sugarless or not.

jackwoerner
No, gum is a substance that tangles with braces so it becomes a hassle to clean.

tabulator32
Its not so much the sugar as it is the blob of goo that can conceivably get stuck in all the cracks and crevices in your braces.

If you have to have a special appointment with your ortho to have gum removed, you'll be wondering why you tried it.

TinkerbelL
it doesnt matter what kind of gum it is... i have braces and i never had a problem once in a while it might get stuck but it comes easily off

Nicky G
all of my friends do anyway. so i guess it doesn't really matter.

Any kind of gun isnt good buble gum is best. You know when yo uget reg gum on something its sticky but not with bubble gum

Tim L
Suger free or with sugar makes no difference, if you have braces you shouldnt chew gum, but everyone does anyways.

Travis _
yeah it will mess your teeth up. Just listen to your dentist he went to college for six years, im sure he is the one to listen to. There is much more than suger that causes cavites, and if your teeth is messed up bad enough to get braces then why would you want to chance it.

♥Hated Teenager♥
Rating
i chew any type of gum and it doesn't bother me. Unless you get like a thick type of gum, understand? then it gets stuck

mrsalireid
Eeek. Regular gum is better, it's more cohesive. I chewed gum the entire two years I had them without a problem. However, I did pull off a bracket with a Sugar Daddy. (Caramel on a stick.) Really sticky caramel is much worse than gum.

Rosy
I have braces, and honestly, it doesn't matter if it's sugar, or not. The reason you're not supposed to chew gum is so the gum doesn't get stuck in your braces. But think about it : It's one wad of gooy-ness that sticks together in it's own little clump. If you chew it right and don't play with it with your fingers, ie. stretch it out into pieces and chew it back up, you'll be fine. So yes, it's fine to chew sugar free, or noraml gum. Hope this helps! :]

BlueQuiteOcean
there are speacial chewing gum for braces
check store

koolksmart55
I chewed gum all the time and nothing happened... My sisters however had to get their brackets replaced multiple times. About 75% of the time it loosens the brackets.

Die Hard 49ers Fan
sugar free gum is good..but i have braces and i chew any gum and it hasnt affected them yet and ive had them for a year and a half

MCR Fan
Rating
IT'S NOT FINE DO NOT DO IT! In stores they have special gum for braces I have braces and I have to chew a certin gum it is called Freedent if you cant find it in a store looke on a very resorceful website for braces gum or go to a dentist or orthadontist and ask if theres a diffrent gum besides freedent!

Chuck Norris
Rating
yes

slicknj13
Rating
Ya, I had braces and i asked the ortho if i could chew suger free gum and they said yes because it isn't as sticky

Bradley D
i have braces and i chew gum all the time it dosnt affect anything.

sk8ter_for_life_247
Rating
Yup. Thats totally fine

kelly g
Rating
i always ate and chewed whatever the hell i wanted when i had braces. never had any problems!

if you break a bracket all you have to do is go back to the orthodontist and he'll fix it! live a little!!

Little A
Obvisily you have braces for a reason. Beautiful teeth. You don't want to chew the gum with the sugar for the fact that sugar is not good for your teeth. I chew sugar free only because I'm a gum addict. Try to find a sugar free gum that does not stick. I like Trident. You know those people who have white spots on their teeth after braces? It's from sugar. Take care of them right the first time and you won't have to worry about them later. Braces are not cheap.

hope2help
Rating
My ortho allowed me to chew gum but only if it was sugar-free and I never had any problems.

starstar_bam_24
Rating
ok well i have braces right now and my dentist told me that is wat ppl say but u relly shouldnt chew gum at all and i use to all the time [[sugarless]] and i have had more than 9 repairments and now it is starting to cost me losts of money so i stopped but it is ok to chew sugarless once in awhile b/c it is less sticky then sugar gum! but i wouldnt recamend chewing sugarless gum all the time who knows u might start getting loose brackets like i did!

mAdDiE!¡!
ya its totally fine as long as its sugar free u can even chew sugar gum if ur careful i had braces for a year and a half and i ate everything they told me not to and never broke a bracket.. just be careful... i wasn't but u might want to be haha

derp k
Rating
yeah

Daniel G
i've never had problems chewing gum in general with braces, except it can get stuck. you can pull it out though.

stay away from chewier stuff, though, like starbursts, taffy, and that kind of thing. those ones will pull out your brackets because they're so sticky.

drgnfly
It is okay .
At my place of work, the Dr. always recommends sugarless trident gum. For two reasons.
1. It does not stick much.
2. If you are not a daily flosser, the sugar from other gums can cause cavities between the teeth. Many general dentist skip taking x-rays on a patient in full braces because the braces distort the image on an x-ray. Once you are out of your braces and they take your x-rays, you may be annoyed to find needing fillings because of lack of flossing while you were in the braces.
So, bottom line, keep it safe.

bloodducky999
Rating
there are some gums that are ment for ppl who have braces they arnt as sticky but they taste fine.. u get them in just about any grocery store... they are for ppl who have braces or dentures (metal in the mouth) i tried that but then gave into real gum ... just chew what u want EXCEPT BUBBLE GUM that will mess u up!

Mulysa
Rating
I have 2 children in braces and their orthodontist told them to use sugar free chewing gum after meals if they couldn't brush.

So yes, sugar free gum is all right.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.114
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy