Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Please help me?
i use to have some pretty teeth but all of a sudden my teeth started falle out and everything decaying bad .i had braces on them to have them stratghtn out . but i cannot not understand that could it ...

How can you stop braces from hurting after you just got them?
I kinda don't wanna wait cuz I'm trying to eat and it hurts!!!...

Why does the gum around my teeth bleed when I brush my teeth?

Mouth Ulcers, what causes them and how do you get rid of them?

Which mouthwash color is more effective: blue or yellow/orange?

I WAnt to get some braces to make my teeth prettier..does it hurt!?!!?
iwant to get my teeth some braces becit is not aligned ryt..but do they put some holes on your teeth or some silly things???does it hurt..and will it bring a better SMLE??i hope so00..plssanswers..my ...

Please Help Me?
The past few months after I just moved out of my parents house my teeth have chipped. First was one small one in the front and today one of my lateral incisers chipped. It chipped when I bit down on ...

Advice on getting braces?
I'm getting braces this summer and I need some advice and information...like color choosing....How bad it hurts...How they are put on...etc. Anything you can think of!...

Do braces???...?
ok well this friday i am getting braces... do they hurt?? and do they scratch your mouth?? how do i prevent that form happening?? Also what kind of colors do they have??...

Is it ok to whiten teeth with strawberries?!?
I heard that you can use strawberries to whiten your teeth, but the acid can also damage them...does brushing afterwards compensate for this?...

Really worried about my Mom???
My Mom has to go in to the dentist tomorrow for what she thinks is an abcess on her tooth. I am really worried about her. She is in much pain and I'm at my dad's house right now and don'...

How do I get rid of cold sores and blisters because I've tried everything and nothing seems to work?

How painful is a root canal and how long does it hurt for afterwards?

Why is toothpaste generally mint flavoured?
Is there a medical reason for this or does it just taste fresh?...

The best or cheapest way to fill a gap from a missing tooth ?

I am a full time uni student aged 20 livin on my own, am i entilited to get dental treatment on the nhs.?

What o you do first? brushing your teeth or flossing?

600 mg of Ibuprofren.. is this dangerous to take every 6 hrs?
Hi, Im having some extreme wisdom tooth pain.. Im due to have it extracted next week of thursday..
my question is ; Is it dangerous to take ibuprofren 600mg every 6 hrs?
this is what I ...

What will u do if u know u will die tomorrow?

What is better?
what makes more money a nurse or dentist?...

skycorgan
Is a Porcelain/Metal Fused Crown Truly Better?
My denist has prescribed a buid up and crown on a back moler that has deteriorated. The way the wrote it up, it is a Porcelein/Metal crown.

However, my insurance will only cover what they said was 'basic' remedy, which was a solely metal crown.

Other than appeareance, is there a benefit to the porcelein crown? This is a tooth in the back, second the the last. Nobody will ever see it unless they are digging in my mouth, so I am wondering if 'appearance' is really a factor here, considering the huge cost savings I might have my going with a metal-only crown.

CharStar
Rating
Porcelain looks nice, but you'll be more sensitive to cold/hot. I'd go with the old standby-metal.

I_Spy
The porcelain/metal fused crown really is for appearance. The thought is that when you smile, people would see the porcelain instead of metal. The truth is, metal is stronger. Porcelain can sometimes chip, which can be costly. If the look of metal doesn't really matter to you, I would definitely go with a metal-only crown.

Gwenn K
Rating
If the crown is going on a molar and won't be seen, metal is fine. Porcelain is more for decoration and more important for your front and side teeth.

max h
Rating
it depends on u.....porcelin is better for the esthics....all of ur teeth will look the same......but if u dont wana pay more...metal will do....

Dr. Albert, DDS (UNITED STATES)
Rating
HELLO SKYCORGAN,
PORCELAIN OVER METAL IS THE STANDARD FOR COMMON CROWN, WHETHER IN THE BACK OF FRONT.
YOU MAY REQUEST A FULL GOLD CROWN- WHICH IN MY OPINION IS PROBABLY THE BEST CHOICE. I'VE HAD PATIENTS WITH GOLD CROWNS ON BACK TEETH THAT WERE 40 OR 50 YEARS OLD. FOR THE INVESTMENT IN YOUR DENTAL HEALTH, YOU CAN'T BEAT GOLD FOR THE PRICE OF THE CROWN.
PORCELAIN OVER METAL IS ALWAYS TOOTH-COLORED PORCELAIN OVER METAL THAT IS NON-PRECIOUS,SEMI OR PRECIOUS METAL.

natasgold17
Rating
They look better. More sensitive to cold/hot stuff or at least for me. Then one day I bite down on a Vick's throat drop and it stuck to it and came off. When I bite down I crack it and they wanted me to pay for a new crown. To expensive for a crown that came off within 6-months.

kristylee116
Rating
You need to tlak to you dentist. An all gold crown is better to have on a back tooth becuase gold is kinder to the tooth. Gold wears more like the natural tooth. Procelain is very harsh on the tooth. I would recomend you calling your dr and telling him that yo want a gold crown

Chrys
Rating
go for gold...I did...easier to eat with and won't crack like the porcelain can/will.

Dr Matt W (Australia)
The porcelain is purely for appearances. If the porcelain is made properly over a high-gold ("noble" or "precious") metal, then the porcelain won't fracture, ever. I have only seen fractures on low-gold metal bases.
Most patients prefer the porcelain of course. From a dentist aspect, plain gold crowns would be my choice. It requires less removal of tooth structure than a PFM crown, it is easier to adjust, easier to polish, and will cause no wear on the opposing tooth. I always advise my patients to have gold crowns on the 2nd molars, where there is often little room and the teeth are short.
Unfortunately, it is likely your insurer means a low- or no-gold crown. These are usually grey-coloured, the alloy is harder (making it more difficult to work with), and may irritate your gums. Discuss it with your dentist and insurer, but always request a high-gold metal for the metal in either type of crown, even if you have to pay extra.

LittleMermaid
No it really doesn't matter, IF the metal is high nobel. But I will just about bet you that your insurances definition of a "metal" crown is a non-precious crown. Those type are made of a cheap metal, that is known to not last as long as a high nobel crown, and to allow bacteria to leak under the crown margins resulting in new decay forming under the crown. So going the cheaper route may come back to bite you in the rear in only a few years.

Insurance companies are so cheap! They want you to get the cheapest possible piece of crap that you can. Even if it isn't what is best for your tooth.

Ron's wife
A PFM crn. (porcelain fused to metal crown) may or may not be your best choice.

Yes, asthetically speaking, this is the best option. Function wise, it may not be. A gold crown is stronger when it comes to biting and chewing. A PFM crn. may not hold up as long if the tooth that is being crowned is in function ( you have an opposing tooth that helps you chew.)

There is not a big difference in cost. Actually, I think gold crowns are cheaper in most areas. We charge the same price for gold and PFM's in my office in Jersey.

Hopefully, you haven't had the crown prep done yet. If you have, call the office and tell them that you would like to discuss why the dentist is suggesting a PFM crn. for a molar before the crown is fabricated. He may have a ligitimate reason.

If you haven't had the crown prep yet....when you go for your appointment, ask the dentist why he is suggesting a PFM crn. Explain that your insurance will only cover gold. Don't forget to mention that you have done your homework and you know that gold is better for function on molars.

If the dentist you are seeing is an asthetic dentist, they will probably not give you the option of a gold crown. They are purely trained to give you a beautiful smile. I'm sure if you make it known that you know your stuff...they will gladly grant your wishes.

In the end, the decision is yours. The dentist can not make that decision for you. The only thing he can do is suggest.

Soular
Rating
ANY DENTIST would choose an all-gold (high nobel) crown on his or her own molar teeth. I am just agreeing with the others who have already stated this, so I don't need to add reasons.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy