Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Is there anyone else out there petrified of the dentist??
i have to admit, i never used to look after my teeth and always refused to go to the dentist! i regret it now coz my teeth are now ******! i am in a waitin list now for a hospital to have my bad ...

I had a weird experience at a dentist office and am not sure what to do regarding this situation.?
the dental assistant was completely unprofessional, but not at all rude to me. she started slamming and banging the mouse button keys on the laptop when it wasn't doing what she wanted. Being ...

About how long will this take to get braces off if i have teeth like this:(pic.)?
here is a pic
ttp://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq16...
Additional Details
http://i443.photobucket....

Is it bad to smoke while your wearing tooth whitener strips?

POLL: How many times per day do you brush your teeth?
I do 3-4 ...

How much time do you brush your teeth everyday?

Do you brush your teeth everyday?
common be honest. what make you skip brushing your teeth the day you didn't....

Which is worse chewing or smoking?

Wisdom Teeth?
The dentist wants to pull out my wisdom teeth. Is this a wise thing to do? What's gonna happen if I leave 'em in, anyway? Any advice?! Past experiences??? Thanks :)...

What is the most annoying part of having braces?
I have braces for 2 months now and what annoys me the most is drooling all over my pillow at night. What's annoying you?...

When you get braces do you get shots??

Chipped tooth, can anything be done by dentist?
I have a chip in my front tooth, which I did when I was younger. It makes the tooth appear wonky and I hate it
My two front teeth are longer than the rest (yes,a biy like a rabbit)
Is ...

Gums bleeding...why?
when i brush my teeth, after brushing, my gums is always bleeding, and i think it causes bad breath sometimes. is it true?
and what should i do?...

17 years old, and still has 12 milk teeth. has anyone else got this? when should they fall out?
my daughters teeth wont align until the milk teeth are out, but theyre showing no signs of wobbling or aches. she has healthy teeth, just wants straight ones!! when should the milk teeth have fell ...

Will my wisdom teeth push my teeth closer together and close my gaps?
A person told me that when my wisdom teeth grow in they'll fill in all the gaps in my teeth, so now I'm really curious. My teeth are like all straight in a line and I only have just a ...

Is lemon juice god or bad for your teeth??

What color braces should I get?

Should I ask my dentist for a gown?
My dentist says I have a lot of dental work that needs to be done that would take too much time during regular office hours. So, I've been going late as he suggested. He's been doing a good ...

How do I stop a toothache from hurting so much?

Are you supposed to brush your teeth before you go to the dentist?

ღ 3SA sL33PY CaNT B3 sToPP3dღ
I`m getting braces in 2 weeks.. Does it hurt alot?
what should I do to prepare myself and what should I expect
Additional Details
how long do you think im going to have them on...I only have like 2 crooked teeth and their not that bad

lucky
BRACES DOnt hurt putting them on after theyll hurt so if you havent eaten right after would be a good time and also when you go bvack 2 the orthodonist after you should eat

TotallyAwesome
I had a friend who got braces and they hurt for the first few days/weeks. And since you only have a few crooked teeth it might be for a few months to a year.

beachbabie1293
my firends have them and they say it doesnt hurt as much as ppl say it does

april
Rating
I was in a similar situation as you..I got mine on May 29. Actually getting the braces on doesn't hurt at all. The day after, and for a few days, you won't feel pain but it will hurt to chew, so you will probably want to eat soft things like pudding, soup, soft noodles, etc. But after about 3 days the sensitivity goes away.

K J
Hello, I got braces when I was 12 and I am not going to lie they hurt real bad for about 2-3 days but then they were fine. The timing depends on how fast they go back into place everybody is different but I would say about a year.

KristenAlly
Rating
Once you get them on, it will take time to get used to them. Your mouth will probably be sore for the first week with some bad mouthaches once in a while. (eat soft foods for a while.) Then it will only hurt once the ortho tightens them.

Court♥
yes it will definitely hurt the first few days. there isn't much you can do to prepare for them. just brush twice a day and floss nightly. make sure you keep doing it while you have the braces, too. but the orthodontist is gonna tell you all about the importance of keeping your braces clean after you get em. oh yeah tylenol or some other pain reliever would help the pain too.

Kit
It hurts the first week and when they tighten your braces. Eat soft foods like yogurt, cerel, etc. Get wax and lots of it! You never know when the wire or bracket will poke at your gums, so put wax on it. It doesn't hurt as much as your used to it. I've had my braces for 2 years now, but they've extended my time for another 6 months. You can have them for 18 months or 30 months! It just depends.

Amanda B
I haven't had braces but I've asked a few good friends of mine who've had them and they say you bleed and it hurts to eat and stuff like that. Just be ready for some pain.

B
Rating
mine hurt for 3 days afterwards and whenever you get them tightened at first they hurt. you cant really prepare but expect pain. good luck

Lisa
Rating
They are uncomfortable, and you may be on a soup diet for the first day or two after. Painkillers like advil and benadryl are lifesavers! Take those everyday. After a little bit, you hardly notice that they are in, and time will pass quickly, so chin up!

JT
Rating
Ok, I have braces and they are coming off in March. Finally! haha

Ok, have an ice pack ready, tylenol or advil, soft foods like pudding or jello. Don't eat ANYTHING HARD! It is going to hurt like hell. The pain lasts about a week so don't worry about it. They are going to feel weird but after a while, you don't even feel them on you. Yes, they ARE GOING TO HURT A LOT! You are going to get them on and once you walk out, your going to say "that kid on Yahoo was lying, they don't hurt." But after like an hour, the pain will start.

Just lay down and try not to play with them or bite a lot and the pain will go away.

You pretty much can't do anything about it. But the weird feelings will go away.

Good Luck!

And I know you probably don't want them on, but you'll be glad you did. I NEVER wanted them on but I'm happy I did. My teeth weren't even messed up that much.

P.S. There is so much pain because your teeth are going to shift a lot. I mean, take a pic and take another one 3 days later and they are going to be straight!

Stephen E
Rating
After many years of wearing braces I can tell you, you're good. The only time braces hurt for me is when they were tightened, and then it was just annoying, and/or when eating corn on the cob... then kernels get stuck sometimes. Oh, and don't eat corn before a date, it's real hard to remove.

ashlieeee
Rating
for the first few weeks and each time you get them tightened but dont freak out you'll get used to them after a while,ive had braces for almost 5 years now and i dont even know they're there :] just use a lot of advil for the first few weeks.....a lot of advil :]]

me, myself, and i
first of all...remember to bring chapstick!!! you lips will be dry because they have to keep you mouth open for a while to get the braces in.
when i got mine in, they mixed a smelly glue in a bowl and put it on a small rod. then they would take a little bit of glue and put it on you teeth and push the braces on. then they shined a light on it. it doesnt hurt but when they put the wire on it, you will feel pressure.
remember to ask your dentist to wax to put on your braces because they will cut you lips very badly!!
when you come home about 2 or 3 hours later, they will start to hurt!
i am not going to lie to you...it hurts alot.
i took medicane for the pain,
but you get used to it

e_spehr_99
Both my kids had braces and yes it hurt them a lot. To prepare yourself take some ibuprophen before you go in to get them on.

You may only have 2 crooked teeth but your bite might not be correct. On average by son had his braces for 2 1/2 years and my daughter just under two years. You're probably looking at 18 months to 2 years....

its all GOOD!
its werid at first and yes they will hurt for the next two days because the braces are like pulling back your teeth but its not that bad though youll definitely get use to them remember to avoid anything hard and chewy and they will hurt when you get them tightend every month but other than that its no big deal good luck :)

» L o r e l a i «
It doesnt hurt to get them put on, it hurts after they start working and pulling your teeth to the new positions, it just feels like there is constant pressure in your mouth (well, b/c there is...). What I would reccomed: take 2 Ibuprofen before you go in, ask them for dental wax and how to use it (you can put it on the brackets so they don't cut your lips....when your mouth isn't used to the metal, the inside can cut easily, but you get used to it, don't worry!), and get some ora-gel.

GOOD LUCK!

♪υgℓувєтту425♪
Rating
It will hurt the first few days but after a month you'll get used 2 it. Make sure you wax them so they won't get stuck to your lip!

~*浮竹 十四郎*~
Rating
Well, i had braces twice. The pain is absolutely awful the first couple of days, but then it eventually dies down. If you take some ibeuprofen and use the wax they give you, you'll be amazed at how much better things feel. Good luck!

D H
Rating
my oldest son got them he was uncomfortable about a day.ice chips and jello and maybe pudding but they shouldn't always be uncomfortable .when they are adjusted or the bands are refitted then they get uncomfortable again for a day or so.not so bad almost $10,000 later he's got a winning smile LOL .good luck!

$*Gelli*$(Da TeXaS B*tCh)
i dont know how long, but i do know it hurts after the first day or two,cuz your teeth are soo soo sore. its gonna be hard to eat but after that you should be ok.

DaNnY♥
Rating
it didnt hurt for me & i had to have them for like 6 months but its different for everybody : )

GOOD LUCK!!!

Eric M
yes but it goes away asprin helps expect not to eat solids for a few days

mjyxm
it might hurt for first few weeks (it bearable)
but later in the year you will get used to it!

stevethebeeve
Rating
ask your orthodontist how long you will have them on...

they hurt for a few weeks when you first get them and a couple days when they tighten them and change the bands, but most of the time it's not that bad...

don't worry, you'll be fine! :)

alwaysmoose
The first couple days are excruciating, but after that it's all downhill. have a good supply of pudding, applesauce and ice cream.

Nati
Rating
spacers are wat they usely put a week before u put onthe braces. they r used to provide room for the bands, which hold the wires, which hold the braces

***pink and light blue are cute colors

***NEVER get white or clear bands cause white looks like food is stuck in ur braces and clear like it u eat ketchup or a lollipop or somethin, they stain

***they put the bands, and then every time u go back u get to choose new colors

k
i have gotton em on over 6 times (dont ask!)

it doesnt hurt dont worry-it is just a long process and it tastes kinda bad

they give u a band on ur molars fiist, to see ur size and stuff

first theu put this positioner thing is ur mouth, it makes your mouth stretch a lkot so they can see ur teeth, it will bother u for a minute or 2 but u will get used to it, u keep that thing on the WHOLE time

then there are these things that look like shots and stuff, i got really freaked out when i first saw them but actually, they dont go in ur mouth! this is the cement that they put on ur braces then they stick the braces on ur teeth
**the cement kinda tastes bad!

then they will put the rubber bands on ur braces with things that look like sisscors (they dont hurt) after that they put the wire-this is the most anoying part cause after they slip it in ur mouth, they have to cut it to make it fit right

then that is it!Ur done
but after u do it, ask ur doctor for dental wax, and rubber cover up

when u get home use ACT mouthwash and for the first hour, ur teeth may be a little numb so drink mainly fluids-clear fluids

then for the first day or 2 ur teeth may be a little sensitive so stick with eating soup, pasta, and soft foods-avoid straws

every night use Peroxyl mouthwash for like a week to keep ur gums storng from cuts and use dental wax and rubber coverups so u wont get blisters, they hurt a little but arent that bad. avoid sleeping on ur side, try to keep ur head straight up for a couple of days

every morning and every night use the Peroxyl mouthwash again for 2 weeks then after that just use ACT mouthwash to keep ur teeth and gum s healthy. get some Super floss, made for braces-i sugest elictrical toothbrushes they keep ur mouth cleaner

dont worry-trust me- i have had my braces on for almost 4 years, i am gettin em off on July 3-my friend says it acutally hurts more to get em off so yea

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.104
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy