Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

What is the best way to get rid off a tooth ache apart from being pulled.?
i can not afford to have it pulled even though it has being acheing for 5 month's and we have no dental clinic....

Is their anyone out there that had their wisdom teeth pulled ?out because i need mine out soon?

How can you tell your friend that he has bad breath after 3 years.?
After so long of dating and wonderign if you really wont to be with this person, their perosonality is great they are all-around good perosn but one thing is stopping you in being more attractive to ...

For braces which would look better purple and black or purple and blue?

Will a wobbly tooth DEFINATELY fall out or can it heal?
my friend accidentally elbowed me in the mouth yesterday (!) and hit me on the lip, this morning i woke up and my tooth is a little wobbly - im only noticing it because im pushing it and it hurts - ...

Who hates the dentist?
i ...

Question about wisdom teeth???
Do most people have them removed? Is it better to have them removed? At what age did yours come in and did it hurt? Did you have yours removed?...

What could this sore on my gum be?
I have this white sore on my gum and it is very painful. It kind of looks like a canker sore but I hear canker sores don't appear on your gums, only the cheeks of your mouth. So what could this ...

Tooth cavities?
I never had a tooth cavity in my life.
I know I'm not the only one out there, so let's hear it.
Do you take excellent care of your teeth?...

Do you have to have nice teeth to become a dentist?
Sort of an ironic question I suppose. Ha, I guess most dentists do though, to set a good example right? What do you think?...

Pulling my son's teeth???? help please?
Ok, so my son is 11 and he has several new teeth coming in but will not let me pull his teeth out (that are just setting on top of his new teeth) what should I do? Is it important that he gets those ...

Crest? Colgate? Or Aqua Fresh? Which is your favorite Toothpaste to use?
I know dumb question but I'm bored lol!...

Does Trident gum acctually clean your teeth?
On the package of Trident gum it always says cleens teeth, is this true?...

Gum Bleeds Easy?
The gums on the left side of my mouth bleed very easily or they just started to, could it be because I've gotten a new toothbrush its a med. But I can't brush on the side for too long, ...

How many 200mg ibuprofens can i take at once?

Clear or colored braces?
I really dont like the way braces look so i dont want them noticeable, but i heard that the clear ones stain your teeth or turn yellow, is this true? i asked my orthodontist and she said that the ...

I need help with pain in mouth?
I passed out in my backyard, laid out there for about 15-20 minutes.bit my tounge and lip in three spots. Tounge is swelled and it hurts to talk, eat or drink. back of tounge is bruised....

How many times a week should you floss your teeth?

Why are dentists in this country so expensive?
if you are unemployed you get it free.. if you are rich you don't mind paying. but if you are a modest earner,like most of us it seems a joke....

Have you ever had fillings done without anesthetic?
I have today and it was strangely ok and not as bad as I thought!
Additional Details
Totally painfree as they were nowhere near the nerve and probably less scary than if I'd had ...

sx24
How did people prior to the 19th century clean their teeth?
There was no toothpaste, toothbrush, floss or mouthwash during such time. Neither were there any dentists. They must be having awfully bad breath all the time. Also they must be suffering lots of cavities and various tooth problems. I don't think their teeth could have lasted beyond age 20.

How did these people live without any kind of oral hygiene?

lucapacioli1492
The first answer is correct. People used plants of various types, twigs, fibers and other natural things to clean teeth and freshen breath.

Benji
dunno I know my moms teath are much worse than mine (age 14)

maybe herbs to hold in there mouth?

Magick
They have had tooth bushes for hundreds of years.

Baking soda and other cleaners were used. Toothpicks, twigs/sticks and other scrapers.

You should see the little 'spoon' type of thing they used for earwax.

ghwin
They lived just as a lot of people live nowadays without oral hygiene. Talk to a dentist and you will hear horror stories of people who just don't care about their teeth until decay sets in and causes pain. If you have a large number in your own family, there are some who just will not go for annual dental check-ups.
You're grossed out about oral hygiene? There were worse problems. They had no toilet tissue. They had no kotex. A character in one of George Bernard Shaw's plays says his grandfather never had a bath all his life, and was quite happy about it!
When I hear people saying how they would like to time-travel back into the past, I know I am listening to idiots.

credible_bulk
They took them out and washed them in the stream and put them back in.

Dr. Albert, DDS (UNITED STATES)
Rating
THE EASIEST WAY IS THE FOODS THEY ATE.
EAT A PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH AND CHEW ON A FRESH APPLE AFTERWARD. YOU'LL NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

Cary Cyd
Tribal clans used willow twigs to form primitive toothbrushes & shamans (Medicine men) knew about plants to chew to make breath smell better & give a fresh taste to the mouth.

The medicine men & doctors in the centuries before the 1800s acted as dentists. They usually just pulled out teeth that were impacted or infected, then had their patients chew on a poultice of mace & clove to draw out the poison while taking care of the odorous stench.

Most people only lived to be late 40s or into their 50s & had few of their real teeth when they died.

Katyushka B
Rating
the most common way of cleaning teeth was with the use of a stick that was frayed at the end. A great brief history of oral hygiene can be found here. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/164851/a_brief_history_of_your_toothbrush.html at this web site

MOHAMMAD A
Rating
Good morning ..In my country (Arabic world) we still use sometimes the old method of cleaning the teeth by using a special kind of tree small branches and roots called (Mesuaq) , the new science and botany aproved that this kind of trees have a juice which is very good for the gum and the teeth ( and it give a very nice smell) .may be they use the same idea in your country but by another kind of trees.

yasirnosir
I read somewhere that the Romans rubbed mint leaves on their teeth.

bmi=22
Rating
There are different ways to clean your teeth without a toothbrush but yes, I'm sure there was a LOT OF bad breath back in the day. And, yes, a lot of people lost a lot of teeth but, on the other hand, people didn't live as long so didn't need their teeth as long.

execva
Necessity is the mother of invention! :) Just because people didn't have toothbrushes didn't mean they had no oral hygiene. It's also worth remembering that they didn't eat as much refined sugar or processed food as we do today.

Indigenous peoples would chew charcoal (eg burnt sticks) to clean their teeth.

I found this from: http://www.virtualquarry.co.uk/units/unitsci5/Lesson_2.doc (note this is a download):

<quote>:

The History of Toothpaste:

As long ago as 5000 BC the Egyptians were making a tooth powder consisting of powdered ashes of ox hooves, myrrh, powdered and burnt eggshells, and pumice. It is thought that it was rubbed onto the teeth using the fingers.

The Greeks, and then the Romans, improved the recipes for toothpaste by adding abrasives such as crushed bones and oyster shells, which were used to clean debris from teeth. The Romans added powdered charcoal, powdered bark and more flavouring agents to improve the breath.

There are only a few records related to toothpaste or powder then until around 1000 AD when the Persians wrote to advise their people to be wary of the possible dangers of using hard abrasives as toothpowders. It was recommended that people used burnt hartshorn, the burnt shells of snails and burnt gypsum. Other Persian recipes involved dried animal parts, herbs, honey and minerals

There is then another huge gap in the history of toothpaste until the 18th Century, when toothpowder, or dentifrice, became available in Britain. These powders were developed by doctors, dentists and chemists and included substances very abrasive to teeth, such as brick dust, crushed china, earthenware and cuttlefish. Bicarbonate of soda was used as the basis for most toothpowders, and some contained other ingredients that would not be considered appropriate today, such as sugar. Borax powder was added at the end of the 18th Century to produce a favourable foaming effect. The rich applied toothpowder with a brush. The poor cleaned their teeth with bicarbonate of soda, using their fingers.

In the early 19th Century, Glycerin was added to make the powders into a paste. It also helped to make it more palatable. Strontium was introduced at this time as well, which strengthens teeth and reduce sensitivity. A dentist called Peabody became the first person to add soap to toothpowder in 1824 and chalk was added in the 1850s by John Harris.

Toothpaste was first mass-produced in 1873. It was in a jar and it smelt good for the first time. In 1892, Dr. Washington Sheffield of Connecticut was the first to put toothpaste into a collapsible tube: Dr Sheffield's Creme Dentifrice. Sheffield's company was to become Colgate

After World War II there were great advances in the development of toothpaste. Synthetic detergents replaced the soap with emulsifying agents, such as sodium lauryl sulphate. This was soon followed by the discovery that the addition of fluoride and fluoride compounds to toothpaste would strengthen tooth enamel against decay.

<end quote>

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Lyn

inchca
With a rag, just wiping across the teeth. But dental care has been around for a long time, even Hippocrates and Aristotle wrote articles on dentistry. Paul Revere actually was a dentist too. The link below has a great timeline that goes from ancient times to 20th Century.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2013 HealthExpertAdvice Friday, April 18, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy