Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

What is your favorite toothpaste?
and how often do you brush your teeth?...

I got braces on 2 days ago and they are killing me!! What to do?!?

How long do you have to stay in bed after having wisdom teeth removed?

Do braces hurt? Because my densist said I have to get them in the nest 3 weeks. .?
My friend said they hurt a lot and even more when they are tightened. The dentist said I could get the 2 offending teeth taken out as another option. But he said that method is something they would ...

Does it hurt to get your wisdom teeth taken out?

Are electric toothbrushes better than normal ones?

I just got braces on yesterday and now my bite does not close properly, what can i do?
I can't eat or chew solid food because I cant close my bite and my molars dont meet up. How much longer will this last?...

How many times you wash your teeth?
i do twice a ...

I have to have a tooth pulled,and I am scared.?
I have two options, 1,have just novacain, or 2 use nitrous oxcide(sp)
What is the best one to use and why?
I hate going to the dentist.
thanks....

Im scared of getting braces! i dont know what to do? how is the feeling does it hurt?
Thankyou!! im getting them in january 8...

My front teeth are getting more and more transparent.. Why, and what can i do?

Does overbrushing of teeth lead to enamel loss?

How can a child whiten her teeth? Please help. Only serious answers please! Thank you!?
My child has yellow teeth and needs to whitten them. Please tell me of inexpensive, ways that work! Thank you very much!...

I have a tooth in the back, that everytime I bite down it sends me into orbit, could it be a exposed nerve?

How To take pain killers?
Um Today I got my doctor prescripton for the pain killers, I got the pain killers from the drug store but it says take it with food. I dont get it How I'm gonna take it with the food?...

Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast?
Why?
Does it make a difference, if yes, how and why?...

Do u think this is abuse?? y??
i think this was sick but with the prices of dental who knows? what u think?
http://www.nbc5.com/news...

Braces...what to expect...?
hi im going to have to get 4 teeth pulled to make space for my other teeth and get braces on...which i am really, really nervous about...but i wanted to know how long do they usually take to put your ...

Stinky breath?? HELP!! its been happenning a lot recently and i wanna get rid of it before school starts ?
So i floss, brush my teeth, and use mouthwash(listerine) before i go to bed. When i wake up in the morning, my breath stinks like hell. ive noticed that my tongue is relle white in the mornings. does ...

I've never been to a dentist.. I'm almost 25...?
I've never been to a dentist because #1) My parents never had dental insurance and we couldn't afford it #2) I've never been able to afford my own dental insurance either. #3) I'...

Sr
How Long Will Numbness From A Dental Injection Last? PLZ HELP!!!?
I have an appointment at 10.30 tommorow at the dentist. I have 2 filling to be done. Im going to be numb which is fine, but i have to present a science project in front of the class at about 12 pm which is about or slightly less than 1.5 hours. Will at least part of the numbing be done. Will my mouth look swollen and will the class be able to notice by the way i talk. or will i be fine. PLZ HELP. thanks... The filling are going to be by each other. all on my left part of my mouth.

DoH
Rating
Your going to be wreck dude.

Christy
If the teeth are on the lower jaw, your dentist may give you a "block" which could last 4-5 hours. This numbs the whole left side of your lower jaw. Your face may feel puffy, but it won't look puffy at that point, nor will it later if these are simple fillings! Maybe you can incorporate your anesthesia into your science project? In any case, let the class know what you're up against...they've been there, too, and will likely be even more receptive to your project since they won't be bored!!

Leutenaint
It will last a few hours, and if very unlucky, maybe 4 hours, but I don't think they'll notice. Just do not by any reason touch, leave it to heal by itself. Also, practice speaking for a while so you can kind of manage around it. Also tell your doctor about it, he might have a better solution like putting in something softer or less stuff. good luck!

Shabbels
Rating
Top freezing approx 2 hours, bottom freezing approx 3-4 hours. Top freezing freezes individual teeth, bottom freezes the whole arch. You may feel like your swollen but you shouldn t look like it. You should be ok.

MAXIMUS88
Well you don't speak from your lips or mouth sorry what i mean is depends where the injection is you mentioned fillings so that's in the molars or premolars so not noticeable . Take the medication your dentist recommends or take a n anti inflammatory just after the anesthesia. maybe you can get the day of and do the presentation the next day but i doubt your mouth can be SWOLLEN from just fillings. yes part of numbing will wear off so be ready with aspirin or Motrin if you fell pain will be too much but just relax and try to speak with conviction and sound convincing even with some stuttering or how much you think you look like a fool bc of anesthesia which i highly doubt just DO IT not every "science project" in life can be done without a little anesthetic .hope this helps let me know

Jaclyn A
Rating
There are two types of local anethesia the dentist may use...a block or infiltrate. When a block anethetic is done one whole side is numbed. However, since the treatment needed is in the same quadrant and neighboring I would use infiltrate style of anethetic. That means the dentist will most likely just numb those specific teeth by injecting the periodontal ligaments (PDL). Your speech should not be affected, little if any. Also, your tongue and lips should be all right. In general though, everyone metabolizes the anethetic at different rates in the body. Some anethetics used have a variety of pharm. Marizipan for instance does not have epi in it. Lidocaine with epi is the most common choice of anethetic, however it is contraindicated for patients with hypertension. (A little off the subject) The point is all anethetics and metabolisms are different. The range is between 2-6 hours. Good luck with it!

kaname_chan
it doesn't last so long and you shouldn't look weird unless the doctor isn't very good
but your in big trouble since it takes 3 or more hours 2 ware off

metalgearsolid5463
Rating
Your mouth will be a minor swollen. But other than that you should be able to talk fine.

mrquestion
You should be okay. Your left part of the mouth will still be numb and "cold" (you'll feel it cold), but nobody will notice that. I had it done many times and I could speak normally. Just be careful with the saliva: you won't feel it there... Wipe that part of the mouth constantly.
You can start your speech by making a joke about the situation, which will eliminate the embarrassment (if anything goes wrong).

someone
Rating
when i went in the dentist injected me then left so i wasnt numb he came back and and started so i had to get numbed again it doesnt last long afterwards no one noticed

Meg
It will depend on some degree as to how deep the fillings are.
If they are very small they won't need much to numb the area.
I had a root canal and the numbness lasted several hours, on
the other hand I had just a pretty good size filling and it lasted
a few hours, but it wears off gradually. I never could see any
swelling in my lips, but it's hard to sip through a straw. I am
sure you will be fine. I have never had any problem speaking...but then I talk a lot!! The class will be proud of you.
Good luck.

she_ferr30 w
Rating
my last dentist appt my numbness lasted bout 3 hrs. it all depends on how much they give you and the person.

Dr. Albert, DDS (UNITED STATES)
ASK THE DENTIST TO GIVE YOU PDL INJECTIONS THIS WAY YOU WON'T FEEL THE PAIN OF DRILLING AND YOUR LIPS AND TONGUE WON'T NEED TO BE NUMB.

Shay-la‚ô•
Rating
Usually 3-4 hours but I have had some that last less. It depends on how much Novocaine you get. If you can try to get an extension on presenting. Even if it is just like an hour or so you will be better off. Good Luck!

Haylley M
I have had tons of dental work done and the most needles i have had at one time is 9, which took awhile to disappear. I would say a couple needles will take about 3-4 hours to come out. Your mouth wont actually look swollen but it will feel that way. And depending on what part of your lips are frozen you may talk weird.

Ms. Taurus
Rating
You have two fillings and have to be in front of that class in 1.5 hours? Hate to say it, but you are probably not going to make it.

The length of numbness depends on the person, and they always told me that I'd be numb still for another hour or so, BUT for me (and others like me) it doesn't wear off until >>5 or 6<< hours later. I'm thinking you need a rain check on that presentation if you can.

edj009
Rating
Depends on where the injection are on how much it will bother you. Most of the time it is 3 to 4 hours before you have all of your feeling back. There shouldn't be any swelling from a filling or the injection. But if it is done in front of your mouth you may have some difficulty in speaking plainly.

sephrenia_34
a couple of hours with me, don't worry you will still be able to talk and your face will feel a bit funny but it won't look it :)

kelly r
Rating
not to scare you but the numbness can last a lot longer than that. just tell your teacher beforehand and hey you can prob have fun with it anyway if you think about it..my last time at the dentist i was numb for at least 4 hours

dolce
Your mouth won't appear swollen but it will feel like it. It will wear off somewhat after an hour and a half, but bear in mind that you will still at least slightly numb. You should be able to talk fine. It takes 2-3 hours for the tingly numb feeling to subside completely.

unicornfarie1
It's usually 3-4 hours after you get the injection. The one side of your mouth will probably be a little saggy yet and you might talk a little funny. Ask the dentist to use nitrous oxide (laughing gas) then your mouth won't be numb at all. My husband doesn't like the shots so he always asks for the gas. It wears off as soon as they take the mask away from you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy