Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Dental
Health Discussion Forum

Should i go to dentist???
i am 38 years old and the last time i went to the dentist was when i was 8....my old dad (god bless his soul) once told me to never bother going because as soon as you go they start drilling and ...

Why does my teeth have blue mold on them?

Do I need Braces!!?? HELP!?
My friends and eveyone are saying I need braces to fix the big gap between my front teeth and the close other gaps I have and to fix my overbite. So will I need braces??!!
http://s271....

Whats the worse thing you.ve ever eaten?
p.s im edgey to ask,...

Does it hurt alot gettin ur wisdom teeth out?
im gettin all 4 of my wisdom teeth out under general anistetic does it hurt alot!...

Best toothpaste?
which toothpaste whitenings teeth the Absolute best ?...

Is it okay to sedate your kids for a night out?

Additional Details
o.m.g. im surprised that hardly any of you knew i was having a go...............

What do you think when you see people who have braces?
i have to wear those 'train track' brace things, and no one seems to notice them, but im still really paranoid about everyones opinions (dont tell me 'it doesnt matter what other ...

Can coca-cola be used to help whiten the teeth due to the high acidity it has?
Researchers say that coca-cola is a good home remedy to clean the toilet and tub b/c of the high acidity content. Can it also clean the teeth? If it can clean the toilet why not whiten the teeth?...

HELP! OMGEEE I SWALLOWED TOOTH PASTE... IM I GONNA DIE??? OMGEEE What should I do???
THE TOOTH PASTE TUBE SAYS TO GET MEDICAL HELP OR CONTACT A POISON CONTROL CENTER RIGHT AWAY. I DONT WANT DIE PEOPLE. HELP HELP!!! PLEASE!!!!
Additional Details

Should i brush my teeth right now?
i really dont ...

Why do brits have poor dental hygiene?

Additional Details
So ONLY people on tv that are british have bad teeth? How did that become a stereotype if there wasnt a bit of ...

Is this supposed to happen?
WHEN I CLOSE MY MOUTH MY TOP TEETH GO OVER MY BOTTOM TEETH DO I NEED BRACES

ALSO MY TOP TEETH GO ALL THE WAY DOWN ALMOST OVER MY GUMLINE

ALSO MY 2 BOTTOM TEETH GO UP AND DOWN AND...

What brand and colour is your toothbrush?

Additional Details
Mine is pink! Forgot what brand it is thought, ...

How do get rid of bad breath?????

Be honest...how many of you DON'T brush your teeth before going to bed?

Have you had a wisdom tooth removed? Did it hurt much?

Additional Details
I'm not a big fan of blood... or pain for that matter. I get the feeling I'll have a lot of both....

Do you brush your teeth first or have breakfast first?

Are you supose to throw away your toothbrush after so many times?

How to stop braces from hurting? I just got them today?
I got braces on in the morning and they hurt like really really bad. I took some medicine but it doesn't seem to help at all. please help?...

hopium4ever
Getting braces soon and need to know what to do?
I am getting braces in less than two weeks and I need to know what to do like to prepare. I have read that u should take pain killer before u go in. If so how soon before and does it matter what kind. Also do I need to buy anything like tooth brushes, or soft foods. I am sure my dentist will tell me all this but I am just really scared and want to know what to do. Can u please tell me what you did when u got ur braces on? That would be a lot of help to, its just that I am sooo scared that its gonna hurt ALOT!! So any pointers would help. Thanks

manybagolike
stop being a pssy!

yup...
Rating
maybe you could ask ur doctor what to do...he might have specific details that will help you

mermaid
For me, when I first got them they didn't hurt much (and I got top and bottom at the same time) but then a few hours later, they hurted like HELL for atleast a week. After a week they still hurt for another week but not as bad. When you are fully comfortable in them it's not that bad. You don't really notice them throughout the day, the only thing thats annoying is getting food stuck in them. Your dentist will probably tell you not to eat chewy stuff like gum or caramel, but don't listen. I chew gum every single with my braces and not one bad thing has happened to them. It actually helps get all of the gunk stuck in them out! But anyway, for the first couple weeks you should maybe stock up on soft stuff like ice cream and apple sauce. It'll be painful to eat anything like a sandwich at first. Hope I helped!

lilthuyen
Rating
Yes, you should take pain killers before you go. I recommend Advil. That's the kind I took and they're a lifesaver. My orthodonist recommended to me one of those really small toothbrushes, the kind that little kids use because it's easier to get into the brackets. Another tip to get the pain away is rinsing your mouth with salt water constantly after you get them on but I really think the Advil is better. Soft food would be really good to have around but might not be necessary if you take the Advil. I think I had some soup and ice cream when I got them on. Don't worry too much! They hurt but aren't THAT bad.

100% Indita de corazon
i have braces and didn't need to take pain killers, the dentist will tell you what kind of tooth brush you have to buy, mine told me to buy an oral-b tooth brush, about the pain, i haven't got too much pain, just when i got 4 teeth out and you should not be worried, just you can't eat hard things, and there can be some blood sometimes when you brush your teeth but nothing to worry about, that is normal, every mouth is different you may have pain or not, you will see that until you get them on

Rosie having a baby 9/9/08!
Rating
I'm not gonna lie, it hurts a lot! For me, the spacers hurt worse than the braces. Eat a lot of chicken noodle soup for a couple days. I think tylenol probably won't help very much. Chin up little soldier, braces are totally worth the pain!

Molly
My braces are coming off in 4 days! It's been 18 months. Any pain I went through (which wasn't that bad) I'd go through 10 more times to get here. I'm very proud of myself for doing it. It was the best money I ever spent. I hope you are a teenager and your parents are paying for this. If so, congratulations! You should be extra thrilled for the free ride! Wear your retainer and do as you are told and when you are an adult, you can spend the money on something like a down payment on a cool car, or a stereo system, or even a diamond engagement ring! I had braces on at age 24. It was not so much fun and is supposedly harder to move teeth and more painful as an adult. Plus the price tag was painful. $5,500! I'll bet that was on the cheap end. I am grateful that I was able to scrounge the money up to do it and grateful that I had the service available to me. Lots of folks out there don't have the funds or the service available. Be thankful that you are in the group of people who will one day have a beautiful smile. :)

twid392â„¢
Just take painkillers after you first get them off and be careful what you eat. I didnt change my diet at all but I was careful when I ate things like popcorn and I turned out fine and I only once broke a bracket over the 2 years. And brush your teeth a lot and do it well.

samantha l
I would take it a few hours before you go. I would also def get some soft food because it hurts to chew hard foods for a few days.. Good luck!!

CAsoccergrl♥
I have had 2 sets of braces, it's no big deal... And it doesn't hurt that much, actually (as long as u take like advil, or something like that)... Don't worry!!! And, no, I would not take a pain killer b4 u go in... But advil, ibuprofen r all good... I have my 2nd set on right now, and I kinda like them... Just make sure 2 have like really soft food 2 eat the day u get ur braces on, and maybe the day after... Don't worry, and don't be scared. God will be with u! And just make sure 2 brush really good while u have them, so that ur teeth won't get discolored... (but if they do, u can always whiten them right after u get them on!) I hope this helps! God Bless!!!

Allie P
I had braces on for FOUR YEARS! UGH! But sooooo worth it!

1. Wax is a MUST! Keep it in your purse or backpack.
2. Same with toothpicks (the plastic ones with teeth are good for on the fly) and a spare toothbrush to bring to school... Sandwiches take patience & practice.
3. If you want to make your braces less attention grabbing, you can ask your dentist for silver rubber bands. Don't use the clear ones, because they can get stained easily by colas, etc.
4. Try to stay away from stuff that will stain your teeth! You don't want to have gorgeous teeth with yellow edging!
5. Make brushing your gums part of your daily routine. It sounds weird, but if you don't your teeth with start to float. Yuck!
6. As SOON as something breaks, (which it will! especially in the beginning) call your orthodontist & make an appointment to get it repaired! Saves money & cuts down the length of time you will have them on!
7.Practice your new smiley face: :#

:D

kerijeanbean
Rating
The best advice I can give is to chew gum. Most orthodontist will tell you not to, but mine recommended it. It helps the teeth loosen up and makes the pain go away faster. Don't chew Trident it will stick to the braces and makes a huge mess. As for taking something before you go I would take Tylenol or Advil, which ever one works best for you at least 10 minutes before you leave. Other than that there really isn't anything to do to prepare for braces. Listen when they tell you what not to eat. and don't kiss anyone else with braces. Getting them tangled may look funny, but you try to figure out who is caught on what. I can say been there, done that. There were a few moments of panic trying to figure out what to do. The guy Finally ended up pulling his wire out. He was going to get tightened the next day anyway.

Good luck

Australia
Honestly...the most important thing to remember is to look after your gums, a lot of orthodontists don't mention this.
I was a dental nurse for 10 years, the amount of gum disease was atrocious! Get floss that is designed for braces this is purchased from any pharmacy, and really take care of your gums as they support your teeth and if they are infected this will play a huge role on bone support that actually hold your teeth in, if the bone gets a lot of bacteria the bacteria 'eats' the bone.....therefor loose teeth.

Hope this doesn't scare you but it really is easy to look after your gums.

First L
Rating
What to eat.... well it all depends on what YOUR doctor says. Because I still have braces and I drick soda and I eat peanut butter and hard candy and popcorn and stuff like that. You just have to know how to take care of your teeth and when to brush them. I'm about to get mines off.

Jillian J
Yes it does hurt. Not in a scratching, bleeding, sort of way but in a sore, pressure, tight way. Invest in some plastic spoons. Your mouth won't be able to handle your teeth hitting the metal. Also make sure you rent some dvds before you og in, that way you have something to do when you get out and are still in pain. Some good things to eat are Mashed potatoes, jello, cream of wheat, yogurt, cottage cheese, macaroni and cheese. Do not eat ice cream, the cold makes your teeth feel worse. Dont worry, though. the pain only last for about 2days to a week after you get your braces. Then when you get them adjusted depending on the amount of adjusting, 1 hour to 1 day of hurt time. Once you get used to them you can prety much eat anything you want. Except for hard candy, caramels, Bubble gum, apples, and raw carrots. Other than that you can eat anything. I even ate corn on the cob. I had braces for 2 years. Never broke off a bracket or popped a wire.
When they are putting the braces on, it is a little invasive but not too bad. Just make sure you dont swallow the wire. then you should be fine. Remember to have someone else drive you home. Sometimes (especially if you've taken pain meds) this can be .....Difficult. I hope everything goes well for you. Don't worry you will have a beautiful smile!

Ashley H
Rating
I got my braces on about 8 weeks ago.Don't worry at all. People always told me they hurt all the time and I didnt know if I should believe them or not. Before I went to the orthodonist I took a pain killer. when I got my braces on it didnt hurt. about an hour later it hurt and I kept telling my mom i wish i would have never got them on. Also besides them hurting it feels funny to your lip becasue it is not use to braces being there. My teeth only hurt about a day or two and it only took about 3 days to get my lip use to it and now it doesnt even feel like i have braces. When I went back to get the wire changed and tightend i thought it would hurt more then it did when i got them on, but it didnt. I dont think it hurt at all.

Dont worry remember it will hurt at first but not for long. And remember how good your teeth will look great when your done!!!

hersheykiss8908
First off, take a pain killer(acetominaphin or ibuprofen) 10 minutes before you leave. Your teeth won't start to hurt until after the brackets are on and wired together, and it takes about 30 minutes to glue them on. Your teeth will hurt for a few days to a week, so buy soft foods like pudding, jello, ice cream, oranges, etc. Your teeth will also hurt after the orthodontist tightens your braces at your scheduled appointments, but it's not as bad as the first time. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt that bad, just keep taking the pain killers as need be. You'll have a great smile in no time.

Layla S
Rating
Well, getting the braces put on is 100% pain free so don't worry about that. But after a short time your teeth will become sore from moving. It isn't that bad really. Just take a tylonol right before or right after you go. I didn't but it would have probably been helpful. Yes, you're suppose to stay away from hard foods, but as long as your careful you can eat them. But, when you just got your braces tightened you will want to eat things like soup or soft bread. I just got mine tightened and it hurts because I'm gettting one tooth rotated and so that tooth hurts. But well, if your a girl then it doesn't hurt more than you period so don't worry and if your a guy then I've been told it's nothing compared to getting kicked where the sun doesn't shine. Hope that helps!

heygirl
Hi- there is nothing to worry about about getting braces. I got mine a little over a year ago and its not that bad at all. It doesn't hurt at all to get your braces put on- all they do is dry out your mouth and then apply glue to your teeth to stick the brackets to. then they string the The orthodontist will probably give you lots of instructions but dont let that stress you out because 99% of the people with braces dont follow all of the rules about what not to eat and stuff like that. For instance, if you are a gum chewer, dont freak out because most of my friends chew gum with braces anyway. it hardly ever gets stuck.
But all in all, dont worry =) youll do just fine!
and before you go or right after you leave, take a tylenol or an advil for the pain. My orthodontist also suggested that i take vitamins while i had my braces. So if you dont already, you might want to get a daily vitamin supplement to take every day!
you have nothing to worry about and i hope this helped!

NyGiantsFan
Rating
it's not rly all that bad that sum ppl make it out to be...when i got them i took like 2 ibuprofen like half an hour b4 i went and it took them like an hour and15 min. to get them on ((both top and bottom)) just stay calm while they're putting them on even if you feel like gagging just think of happy stuff lol and about the care of them just brush them alot and try to not eat sticky foods ((wait like a month after you get them and you can eat almost nething ;0) lol)) hope this helps=]] it's rly not that scary ((oh and it kinda rly hurts like a day or two after especially, just cuz the braces r doin' their stuff so just take Tylenol and i had like pudding and yogurt like 2-4 days after i got them just take tiny bits of things if you want "real food"))your orthodontist might have you watch a movie about how to care for them and give you a little bag full of "goodies" lol but serisouly braces are totally worth it just keep thinking that =]]

Joe
Rating
Getting braces on although it SEEMS scary.. it really isn't. The orthodontist will go over everything in full with you. You have nothing to worry about.

Take a pain killer about 10-20 minutes before you leave. But you may not even need them. My braces didn't hurt that day to be honest. Everyone is different, but worst case scenario is the pain killer helps.

Eat something before you leave. I wouldn't eat a MAJOR meal, but you will be sore and probably not be up to eating right before you leave. As a result, I would definitely recommend eating something that will fill you up before you leave. Not something that will make you feel sick either. Maybe a bowl of cereal or something?

The orthodontist will probably almost give you everything you could ever imagine needing, and do not hesitate to call them if you are concerned. You can eat whatever you want to afterwards. Eat what you are comfortable eating. If your mouth hurts too much, just eat some soup. Everyone is different. The night I got home (I had my tops and bottoms on separately so I got to go through this twice). When I got home with with my top braces on I ate some pasta. When I got home with my bottoms I ate some waffles.

Just do whatever feels good. And pay attention to how to brush and everything. They WILL tell you. And don't feel like you have to brush the first few days. Because they will be sore. But keep in mind the FRONT of your teeth have no feeling. So you wont be in PAIN because of that. It will be sore. But i'd guess you've probably experienced worse pain from other things.

Good luck!

A Little Fall of Rain
Rating
I've had breaces on for almost a year and I don't think they are as bad as people make them out to be.

When I got mine put on, I didn't take painkillers...I kinda wish I would've, though. Mine hurt for a good 2 days afterwards. I ate soft foods, like pudding and jello for the time it hurt. It doesn't erally hurt alot, the only thing that bothered me was that you could hear them scraping around on my teeth. I concentrated on the lyrics to the songs that the radio station in the orthodontest's office was playing. It helped me a lot.

Don't worry. You'll get used to them before long. Good luck!

destiny121
Rating
it"s really not going to hurt.unless you have sensitive teeth then it"ll hurt a little.also when they tighten it<but just a little.also the day you go to get them on don"t wear your good clothes because your going to drool alot.also buy like soup because it"s going to hurt to eat the softest food like french fries.oh yeah they might give you a list of stuff not to eat.but you can still eat it like-snicker they melt so you don"t have to chew.but what a couple of monthes to chew gum.chew orbits gum it doesn"t stick.best of luck.it"s not going to bad! (p.s. if your mouth starts to hurt to hurt they give this gel.also brang somthing too pass time.and befoire you eat all the stuff you can"t eat anymore waiit a month or two).:)

hiyahottstuff
Rating
i got my braces yesterday and i was kinda nervous but it wasnt that bad. but it hurts for like the first day and u cant really eat anything hard . so i jus took an advil . but yeah ur ortho will tell you all those kinds of things about food and stuf. your ortho will also provide you toothbrushes and stuff like that. dont stress.

Clipper101
Rating
Well....first off, you need to know, hard candy, like jolly ranchers, carmel, is a no-no. I know it's hard, but it's the truth. You'll also need a speical toothbrush to get in the nooks and crannies of your braces. Most likely, the dentist will give you the pain killer anyway. Braces don't hurt-your mouth could be sore for the first week or two-but it doesn't hurt your mouth. You can still play sports, but it would be wise to wear a mouthguard( if you don't already), and if you play the flute,sax, clarinet, or an instuement you have to blow into, you should be fine once you adjust. If you're nervous what other people will think, you'll get mostly complements, actually! The fun part is choosing you color, white and black, red, blue, Neon colors, and even glow-in-the-dark! Ask your orthadonsits. Good Luck!

Sincerly,
Wolfflover

Michael C
Make sure you have lots of wax handy. If anything springs loose, and you can't visit the dentist right away, the wax will help sharp tips from cutting into your cheek or tongue.

emt09
well when you first go to get them on they will hurt for like two days.. and i would take pain killers like right before you get them on.. and if u want to eat hard stuff do it now... they should give you a tooth brush.. but good luck with them and remember of you hate them just think how nice they will look when you get them off!!

Half-Goth Chick
Rating
Braces aren't what you should really be worrying about; they're pretty harmless. (Though getting them off is the bad/annoying part, even though it doesn't hurt as bad as you think.) Ask your orthodontist if you are getting a pallet spreader, rubber bands on the side, etc. Get information about how the braces are gonna come on. Usually, it's by using glue-like substances If you are getting anything extra, expect a little bit more pain. Otherwise, you don't have that much pain to worry about. (Unless you're really sensitive.)

Plus, eat a nice, big (but not to the point where you're bloated) meal about an hour or two before you get them on (edit: try not to puke on the orthodontist ;) ); eating isn't easy the first day you get them, especially if you don't eat many non-solid food.

Other miscellaneous tips:
Have a night where you eat anything you shouldn't eat when wearing braces (BEFORE the braces come on), because until those braces are really, really comfortable (or off), you're gonna have to say good-bye.
Take pictures. Make a little before/after poster or something. It's fun and you'll see the improvement.
Yes, you should buy a few soft foods: pudding, maybe ice cream, you get the idea.
Pain killers are for when it hurts bad. Just carry some with you, in case it gets bad AFTER you get the braces on.
And, for goodness sake, brush your teeth. :)

I had my braces removed a while ago, but before that, I got a pallet spreader. They had to put a metal ring AROUND a few of my teeth, which hurt a bit. Especially when they pushed it down.... but the worst part was getting it on and off. (And it was funny getting ice cream stuck above the actual pallet spreader :D) Braces, they're another story. They were nothing but something in the way of gum and caramel.... oh, and things helping my teeth look good.

Honestly, it won't hurt as bad as you worry about. Just calm down so you don't panic when they put it on.

ADDED: One more thing: Usually, after a really long time, you forget they're not supposed to be there! LOL :)

devinthedragon
Relax.

Take some pain killers like 10-20 minutes before you leave.

They really don't hurt that bad.

Ask the orthodontist lots of questions, about foods, brushes, everything. They would be glad, cause if u keep them clean, it means it is easier on them.

and remember, it could be worse. my ortho almost died, which screwed over my entire schedule, adding a whole year to my time with them.

xoKerryKinzz23
Okay, relax!

i just got braces on today and it didn't hurt one bit! All they do is glue the brackets to your teeth and then wire them. Just remember...DO NOT TASTE THE GLUE! It was the worst taste that was ever in my mouth. But anyway, take a pain killer a half an hour before you go to get them on and you will be FINE! When you get home it feels sooo weird and you don't really close your mouth the right way, but you will get used to it. So, don't worry, it DOES NOT hurt.

Anyway, about me getting my braces on. My orthodontist told me that I could have the room with a DVD player, so I brought a DVD to watch while they were putting them on. All you do is sit there while they clean your mouth, and glue the brackets. It IS boring so bring your iPod or something if you can't watch a DVD. you have to clean them really good.

Okay

And don't forget that they do not hurt and that there are no needles or anything involved, just some glue

Nothing to worry about

P.S. (pick some cool colors!)

twiggy30
Rating
ok ive had my braces on for 2 years now and u do get used to them so dont be scared! well for breakfast eat some tortilla chips or doritos or something bc once the braces are say bye bye to hard things (like chips) u might wanna eat some apples and oranges bc its a major hassle to eat them once ya get braces...id say wait to take the pain killer and Advil works best... take the advil right AFTER bc it will get to workin right when ur mouth starts to notice the changes... if u play an instrument (like me) or do sports (like me) then u might have to wait to play bc ur mouth will be sore for about 2 weeks and all ur gonna wanna eat is mashed taters so be ready for that !ur not allowed to eat ALOT of things so eat as much of them that u can before ya get the braces!
popcorn
tortilla chips
licorice
hard candy
ice
bubble gum
pizza crust
nuts
ALL ARE NOT ALLOWED
there are many foods that u just dont wanna eat bc they are just a big hassle to out of the braces so eat...
steak
apples
granola bars (hard like nature valley)
corn on the cob
chicken fried steak
crackers
fresh bread (hard crust)
pizza (pep. and hamburger get stuck)
soda (it eats away at ur teeth and u shouldnt drink it)
chicken strips
hamburgers
sandwiches (bread gets stuck)
honestly the list goes on and on............... so eat as much of the food listed above bc ur not gonna eat it for awhile... now about the brushes and stuff ur ortho should give u all the stuff u need... and just some little tricks
sugarfree gum (doesnt stick if you just HAVE to get gum)
popcorn (eat no more than 2 pieces @ a time bc the kernels wonts get stuck that ways)
lemonade (good sub. for soda)
licorice (the cherry bites of twizzlers are gummi and are easier to eat)
steak and chicken (cut into very very small pieces so it wont get caught between brackets)
ice (crushed ice is better)
those are all my tricks! hope u have fun learning about the care, responcibility, and joy of braces!jk
remember it will be worth every single second in the end:)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy