Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    First Aid
Health Discussion Forum

Stung by a wasp?
I was stung by a wasp on the top of my hand yesterday.Today my hand is very swollen,hurts and itches.What should I take or do for this?...

Do mosquitos actually bite?

2 1/2 year old daughter bit by something, can someone tell me what?
It is on her leg. It has begun to swell. It is about the size of a penny & sits up off her leg about 1mm high. The top has begun to harden. It looks like something is inside, but She says it ...

A home remedy for burns, like i spilled a cup of tea on my stomache?

What is your favorite way to relax and unwind?

Bee stings?
What should I do? 1st time i got stung, near my wrist. Its really swelled now. I put ice on it, anything else i should do?...

I have water in my ear, and I have no alcohol!?
I went swimming like Tuesday, and My ear has been clogged since yesterday! It might be one my my baths, but im clogged and can't hear right. I don't have any alcohol, but however I do have ...

What is the best way to get a good nights rest if you have trouble sleeping?

What is your body weight?
I am 220 pounds
Additional Details
and male ...

Cure for the pink eye?
Is there a possible way to get rid of the pink eye, which I sadly have by not going to the doctor and getting a prescription for an antibiotic. Is there something over the counter???...

Why do people get tired?
is it that when you sleep your body produces some type of chemical, enzyme, protein, whatever, etc. and then if you dont get enough sleep then you dont have enough of this? because also when you get ...

What is terminal cancer?

Is honey good for health?

Gramma
What is the best thing to use on a steam burn? Is ice or butter OK?

shay_christine07
Rating
burn spray.... ice will jus make it worst.... n i dont kno about butter

kj
Rating
No and no. Both will make it WORSE.

Apple cider vinegar soaked paper towel is great. Just hold it on there and keep reapplying the vinegar. Smells awful, but your skin will thank you.

nickipettis
Rating
first ice ( don't rub it) for 30 or 40 seconds.

dry gently (patting, not rubbing) , then apply A and D ointment - gently

RaWen
Rating
Ice water for the first bit and then cooling cream hours later. You want to avoid putting any sort of salve on the wound for several hours (unless it is specially formulated) because the salve can hold in the heat, rather than letting it release (as it would in ice water).

oldknowitall
Rating
ice

TAMMY E
NEVER NEVER NEVER put butter on a burn. The second or as soon as possible you get the burn put it under the cold water facaut. Steam is the hotest fastest burn you can get. It burns DEEP, fast. and continues to burn till it cools. The purposs of putting it under cold water faucet is it is faster to get to then getting into the freezer and getting ice. The pooint is to quickly cool it down. And get to ER. Even if it is a small burn, it can be much deeper then you think. Can cause nerve and musel damage.
Butter does not cool it down and holds in bactieria that could be around the burn sight.

When we get burned, the flesh continues to burn untill it cools.

I have been cpr certified.

Tam

imblondie_lola
When a burn happens the affected area should be put under the cold running water for at lest ten minutes. After that the wound should be covered by sterile gauze or bandage. Sometimes it is good to use some antibiotic cream but it is not necessary. If the burn is more serious the affected person should ask for medical care.

burn degrees:

First degree burns are the least serious. They usually appear red, perhaps with a bit of white and only go through the epidermis layer of skin. These don’t usually require medical treatment.

Second degree burns are more serious. They are usually characterized by the formation of blisters. In most cases, the blisters should not be broken, to prevent an open sore which is prone to infection. However, if the fluid in the burn ceases to be clear and turns cloudy, rust-colored, etc, it can be a sign that the burn is already infected. In case of infection, medical attention may be required. These burns may actually be less painful than the first degree, depending if nerve damage has occurred. This burn goes through the epidermis into the dermis layer of the skin.

With a third degree burn, the skin usually chars. There may be a purplish fluid drain from the burn. These burns typically involve nerve damage and are usually less painful. They may require that the dead skin be removed (debriding). These burns should be medically treated.

While you didn’t ask, there are three other burn classifications. Those classifications are used when the burn goes past the skin, affecting muscles and/or bones. Fourth degree burns are those where skin is permanently lost. These require skin grafts. The fifth degree burns result in permanent loss of muscle. The sixth degree burns are those where the bones are actually charred. These three classifications definitely require medical attendtion.

nyskiermom
Ice, lots of it. Take an anti-inflammatory, too. Ice as long as it takes for the burning sensation to stop when the ice is removed. Remember to put something between the ice and your skin so you don't freeze the skin and damage it further.

Treating burns with butter is an old wives tale.

Ice, ice, baby!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy