Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Family member with Cancer...PLEASE READ!!?
My husbands Grandma had a breast removed last year and she has been doing chemo ever since....well she just got dianogised with liver cancer and they can't do anything fot it now. I'm ...

How do I protect myself from phone radiations?

Can a Dr. tell just by looking at a biopsy if it is cancerous?
I had a surgical biopsy done when I had my lumpectomy done at the same time. Can Dr's tell with there naked eye if they think something is cancerous or not, or do they have a good idea?...

I am a one-year breast cancer survivor. When will I be able to stop thinking that my cancer is back?
If my back hurts, I think my cancer has spread to my bones. If I feel extra tired, I think it has gone to my liver. If I have a headache, I think it has gone to my brain. How can I stop thinking ...

For a person who has cancer?
my brother has been through hell and back with his battle of sarcoma cancer, he has had surgery, several lung collapes, and now no chemo seems to work on him. He has never smoked in his life and i ...

Does anyone know the youngest person diagnosed with Colon Cancer? I have been diagnosed and I am only 24.?

Anyone expererience a hospice center?
My sister was diagnosed with a chronic head tumor. It is now become apparent to everyone that we need to prepare for the worse. We were told by her doctors that the best place for her is a hospice ...

Im 15, ive been smoking for almost 2 years now, sometimes i breathe very heavily and cough what are the odds?
that its cancer?...

Any long term survivors of cancer? Share your experience?
I have a colleague who was diagnosed with cancer(stage 1)some years ago and it is in remission currently.However,she disclosed to me recently that she lives in fear of succumbing to the disease even ...

I am 50 yrs old within the last yr.or so 30lbs gained endo dr. found a nodule 1.1/4 in im scared biopsy 1/23?
any inteligent comments would be ...

Stomach Cancer?
Hi,

I've had stomach pains for awhile, sometimes even after I eat. Its a dull ache that turns into intense short sharp pains, and in a few minutes I will be in the bathroom having ...

Do you know someone who has gotten cancer do to dipping/chewing tobacco?
I would like to hear their story: How long they used smokeless tobacco, how frequently, the nature of their illness and recovery....

My mother died of Breast Cancer at the age of 39. She also had Cervical Cancer when she was younger.?
What age should I start getting mammograms? How much more of a chance do I have to develope cancer than an ordinary person?Do you recommend the test they have to see if you carry the gene for Breast C...

What all causes cancer?

Has anyone had a near death experience?

Testicular Cancer?
What are the symptoms and signs to look out for?...

IF YOU ARE A CANCER PATIENT AND THEY GIVE YOU OPIATES DOES THIS mean that u gonna die?
I have a friend thats shes a cancer patient and is in the hospital and she is very bad, the doctor gave her opiates and people told me that if they give her that that means she might die soon, is ...

Has anyone ever got skin cancer from tanning beds?
i hear about it all the time but do u know anyone who actually got cancer from a tanning bed?...

Back pain and cancer ?
What type of cancers can cause back pain ?...

Ativan in cancer patients?
My Grandmother was diagnosed with pancratic cancer in Oct, she is not taking chemo or radiation, no life saving measures can be done only comfort measusrs for her. Why would her doctor perscribe A...

rose
Would cancer show up on a blood test?
My mum has various symptoms of, i don't know what actually, but she has had biopsy and blood tests and is going in for a CT on friday.
Her blood work came back ok and i just wondered, if she had anything serious would it have shown up in her blood?
Also what do they look for when testing blood?

Goldie
Only if they're looking especially for it or if it's a blood related cancer.

I had 3 blood tests in the year before I was diagnosed with bowel cancer and they all came back ok.

Aileen
Rating
It's only blood related cancers that show up in blood work I'm pretty sure because other types are solid tumours and generally can't be detected in the blood. It's a pretty general test to do though, just so they don't miss anything. The CT scan will show up anything sinister though, so you answers will lie with that. Best of luck to your mother.

native c
Absolutely!

livetolove2468
Rating
well, it depends what kind of cancer it is. i.e. lung cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, etc.. it's a good sign that everything came back good with the blood test, but that could mean that she has a different kind of cancer that wouldnt show. when they do a blood test, they make sure you are healthy to go for surgery, CT scans, or an MRI scan. also, they check to make sure all the chemicals and nutrients in your body are in balance. hope this helps, and good luck =)

manicmousy
Rating
my mom's did. she's got stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer. that was one of the first tests they ran.

Chanteuse_ar
Some cancers do show up in blood tests, others do not.

Eve
Rating
There are certain things in blood tests like platelets and white blood cells/red blood cells etc. which, when they are really off, and combined with perhaps other symptoms too, can point to the possibility of cancer. I know they do much further testing (like the CT scan) from head to toe to see if anything shows up anywhere in the body but only a biopsy will tell you exactly what TYPE of cancer it is.

The cancer literally "lights up" when you're injected with certain chemicals and run through certain types of scans, ie bone scan, soft tissue scans.

Polyps can turn cancerous and turn into colon cancer. It's good to have a check up "in that area" at least every 5 years.

phantomlimb7
Only blood related cancers (hematological cancers) like leukemia and such would necessarily show up on the adverage blood test (CBC, etc.)
Some cancer markers are in the blood, but they don't tell you what type of cancer you have or how bad it is.
You don't mention what kind of biopsy she had, but that would be more indicative of whether or not she had cancer.
Good luck to you and your Mum.

John
Rating
There really isn't any single test to detect all cancers and general blood tests cannot usually identify cancer unless a request was made to check for specific markers that could be associated with a particular type of cancer. Usually an analysis of other symptoms along with a range of blood tests may confirm that there is something not quite right, which may require further detailed tests and evaluations. This may include X-Rays, CT, MRI or PET scans.

A general blood test such as a Full Blood Count can however provide a lot of information, which in conjunction with other symptoms may establish the need for more specific tests that could identify the particular ailment more precisely.
FBC measures include;
- the amount of haemoglobin in the blood;
- the number of red blood cells (red cell count);
- the percentage of blood cells as a proportion of the total
blood volume (haematocrit or packed cell volume);
- the volume of red blood cells (mean cell volume);
- the average amount of haemoglobin in the red blood cells (known as mean cell haemoglobin);
- the number of white blood cells (white cell count);
- the percentages of the different types of white blood cells (leucocyte differential count); and
- the number of platelets.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, August 23, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy