Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

Should cigarette smokers be refused medical treatment for lung cancer if they continue smoking?

My dad has cancer, is it wrong for me to be tired of fighting?
I understand that its really him fighting it and not me, but we have been doing this for 2 years now, dont get me wrong I DONT want him to give up, its just that this is all getting to me. Im so ...

How do you get bone cancer?

Question on smoking?
I smoke around 2 - 3 marlboro red ciggerates everyday. Obviously its going to effect my body, but how severely do you think it will effect me? Also I started about a year and a half ago.
A...

CAn another dr call another dr about a patient with out the patients premission
dont they need you to ...

Do you have a family membor or friend whos suffered from cancer?
both my mum and dad have passed away cos of cancer.

if cancer was standing in front of you right now. what would you do?

personally, i would kick the living **** out of it.

I've already asked this but I want as many answers as pos. What is worse epilepsy or cancer of the blood?

Do people still give there hard earned $$$$$ to the cancer society ?
they have cures they dont want you to know about why cure it they say you will make billions but they make 100 x's that now why cure it....

Is it true that even if you stop today after like 15 yrs of smoking that the damage is already done?
Do your lungs ever truly heal?...

Why do you think children get cancer?

I recenty got stiches can I give blood still?

Is this medical malpractice?
My father was coughing up blood, so we took him to the local hospital. After running some blood work that came back normal, the decided to look in his stomach. After going in there, they saw ...

Is it true that if you pinch someone over and over, they might get cancer?
in other words, can pinching someone give them cancer?...

What would be good to put in a care packge for my friend who has Stage 4 Melanoma (cancer)?

Smoking Gives you Cancer, What about Natrual Smoke, Camp Fires, Weed, Ect...ect?
My friends and I were having a discussion, we all know smoking gives you cancer, has been for many years, we all know that.

What about Weed, Its Natural, and I remember hearing something ...

World cancer day?
AS TODAY IS WORLD CANCER DAY GIVE SOME TIPS...

Is cancer infectious desease?

My father-in-law has lymphoma. the doctors say it is stage 4. how short is his time?
he was taken to the VA hospital last night. his blood oxygen was way down (71). they gave him a transfusion and he is on oxygen. he looks yellow. he wants to go home because he doesn't want to ...

Group of blood vessels grouped together to form a tumour called?

I was diagnosed this week with CLL. How do I tell my 13 year old daughter?
Stage 3, have not yet begun any treatment. I am still in shock..please, any suggestions on how to tell my daughter? We are very close and she knows nothing up to this point, other than I was not ...

peace
Why is CANCER so deadly?
My great-uncle died from cancer of the oesophagus (the food tube from the mouth to the stomach) It then spread to other organs, such as the heart and lungs. What makes the body decide to turn on itself? And why do children get? They're so young!! It's just so sad :(

DOC
cancerous tumours are created when cells no longer have the capability of growth switch off! so they keep growing and take over the system.
ordinary healthy cells grow, divide and stop, each time a cell reproduces it loses it's elasticity and mistakes in the genetic information cause problems.
these rogue cells continue growing and destroy healthy tissues, it is devastaing to the surrounding cells and spreads to other parts of the body, where secondary tumours form and metastecise.
children who have cancers develop rogue cells, cancer is no respector of age, colour or creed.
Yes, it is sad when children get cancer, they are so brave, faced with their own early mortality!

dionysius30
It's not that the body turns itself off.. it's the opposite- cells go wild and out of control, mutating and eating up all over cells and normal processes.

Nobody knows the exact cause, but there are many links- genetic, stress, diet, lifestyle etc. In the case of young kids, this is mostly genetic or random.

Yeah it's sad to see such a thing, but at the same time, these kids also can teach us a lot about life.

Brendy
Rating
Because a cure has yet to be discovered.

Doc8
Some cancers are not so deadly, and can exist for years. For example prostate cancer in old men. Childhood cancer is often due to a developmental defect in the fetus. Others are due to chemicals or viruses etc. In general, the younger one develops a cancer the more malignant in breasts and prostate especially.

Frank
Cancer begins in one location and the metastises (spreads) to other areas of the body. Some forms of cancer form tumors or growths inside the body or sometimes on the skin, other cancers invade the liver, stomach or even the brain. In some areas we can remove the cancer, but other areas, it is very difficult so we need to use radiation (like X-ray) and this causes blood producing areas (bone marrow) to stop or slow down producing red blood cells, and we may need to give the sick person blood to support his breathing. Sometimes we use very strong drugs called chemotherapy to kill the cancer but they also cause damage to other tissue...often the hair falls out, the blood cell count drops and other problems occur. One type of cancer attacks the lymph nodes that produce white blood cells and the white cells attack the entire body. But we are learning more everyday about preventing cancers.

pea
Cancer is so deadly because the cells are those from your own body, so your immune system doesn't recognise them as being a threat.
There was a treatment devised in the 1800's that some doctors are trying to revive. It involves injecting material into the mass to trigger an immune response, your immune system then sees the cancer as a threat and removes it.
Its remarkably successful. At the time it was taken over by Madam Curies discovery of radiation and the effect it has on living tissue. But this method is less harmful and stressful; its like having the flu for 2 weeks.
I remember reading about it in New Scientist and being impressed by the test study; then have heard nothing since.

Nunu
Rating
If you discover cancer in a early stage, the chances of recovery is so much better. Important to go for regular check ups.

dave818712
Rating
cancer is a deadly disease because it is an abnormal overgrowth of cells. sometimes you'll know that you have cancer when it is already have metastasized or spread to other organs...

Decoy Duck
Rating
Cancer is a terrible disease, I agree. My brother-in-law died in April as a result of esophageal cancer, but he fought valiantly for two years against it. Cancer is not always deadly; I am a breast cancer survivor. Doesn't make it any less a horrible affliction. Between the pharmaceutical companies, the health plans, and the government, my thought is that it is not financially feasible for a cure to be found. Too many people make way too much money at the expense of the human race to obliterate cancer if our lifetime. I am so sorry for your loss.

gangadharan_nair
According to World Health Organization, there are more than 100 types of cancers; any part of the body can be affected.
In 2005, 7.6 million people died of cancer - 13% of the 58 million deaths worldwide.
More than 70% of all cancer deaths occur in low and middle income countries.
Worldwide, the 5 most common types of cancer that kill men are (in order of frequency): lung, stomach, liver, colorectal and oesophagus
Worldwide, the 5 most common types of cancer that kill women are (in the order of frequency): breast, lung, stomach, colorectal and cervical
Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of cancer in the world.
One fifth of all cancers worldwide are caused by a chronic infection, for example human papillomavirus (HPV) causes cervical cancer and hepatitis B virus (HBV) causes liver cancer.
A third of cancers could be cured if detected early and treated adequately.
All patients in need of pain relief could be helped if current knowledge about pain control and palliative care were applied.
40% of cancer could be prevented, mainly by not using tobacco, having a healthy diet, being physically active and preventing infections that may cause cancer.

whatUtalkingabout
Rating
who are we to reason why?

ys
Rating
No one should give up faith in finding a cure. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) once said 'for every disease there is a cure'.

I believe if one is sincere and faithfull then they will find a way to overcome any hardship in life.

Edison c
The malignant cells keep multiplying at a rate that it is very difficult to stop with the present methods of control such as radiation therapy,chemotherapy, or medications.With rapid multiplication of the cancerous cells and spread to other organs dead is inevitable.
children may develop cancer through development defects,transcription error in DNA replication,chemical,or radiation during pregnancy.Children cancer like Acute lymphoid leukemic ALL may entail bone marrow transplant or death.

tracey_lisle
We all have potential cancer cells, it just takes something to trigger them off, basically, they become mutant cells and grow hence turning the healthy cells into cancerous cells, this is why it spreads, there are so many different types of cancer, and many are now curable if caught in time, I am living proof of that, I had cancer, I had it all cut out had treatment and now I am free of it, or at least I have been for the last 2 years, I m sorry about your great uncle, but maybe it wasn't caught in time or was one of those unfortunate cancers that enough isnt know about yet to be able to cure it. Life isnt fair is it? I lost my sister at the age of 38, way too young.

surfer2966
Easy question! Cancer is so deadly because we do not know how to cure it or prevent it. I wonder if 50 years ago or so someone went on Yahoo Answers and asked why the regular strand of the flu was so deadly. Then, we developed the vaccine. And then the computer. And then the Internet. So maybe they were using the Yahoo Answers via telegraph.

duc602
Rating
it destroys everything in its path,

Chefed#1
Rating
Its not the cancer that kills ,its the damage to the organ that it is attacking.
No one knows why children get it ,
If every person would donate what they give the church ,for research ,we could get a cure.
Cancer research gets about 2 % of what religion takes in a year .
What is more important finding a cure or Funding a lie ?

Cutie Pie<3
Rating
it is so deathly because it can spread through your whole body and make your heart stop!

Mr. PDQ
Rating
Because it spreads and reproduces so quickly. It is like a wild cell on a rage! The body's immune system is weakened and the cancer cells find it easy to move in and take up residence. Children get it because they do not have fully grown immune systems yet or they are not developed to fight off the cancer cells which are only doing what they think it right and that is to grow and reproduce and they do that quite well.

healer 2
it is wrong programming on the part of genes

over gowth of cells consumes most energy of body

storvim
I'm not too sure. However, I think it is because over time it can spread to your whole body and kill your body cells.

Blistering Barnacles
Rating
Its an incurable disease. Like AIDs.

To avoid it you must have a balanced diet consisting of all the vital vitamins and minerals.

Its actually a gradual decay of cells.

taketwo
Rating
no cure yet

Sandy
We can't answer that on these pages if the Scientists can't answer it. I'm sorry for your loss, I lost my husband to lung cancer. My personal feeling is that we need to learn how to stop the spread of cancer. We seem to be able to beat it if it stays in one place but I think it would really make a difference if we could, (as you say) "stop the body from turning on itself".

Nikita
Rating
I agree, it really is so incredibly sad for young children to have cancer, let alone an adult! It is usually deadly when left undetected for a length of time, I think certain cancers seldom CAN be detected in early stages... by the time symptoms show it is already too late. Cancer seems seems to me when the body malfunctions - cells change and turn against our bodies - they say certain chemicals can bring about these changes or sometimes we inherit genes which make us predisposed to cancers - I guess we or the future generations will find out one day - hopefully not in the too distant future.

John16
Rating
The body is a machine and sometimes machines malfunction. Cancer killed my mother when I was 9 and she was just 36. My grandmother and my aunt were also killed by the same form of cancer (ovarian). The best thing to do is catch it early. Women over 35 should get their tubes tied. Smoking and birth control pills is a deadly combination.

--- And to correct msdudash@sbc, there is a lot of "decent medicine" to fight cancer. My mom died in 1976. Since that time there have been huge leaps foward towards fighting cancer on a multitue of fronts. People are fighting and beating cancer every day because of dedicated scientists who hate this vile disease as much as I do.

Anyone who says American Medicine is "not decent" doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. Some day Cancer will be eradicated. I hope I live to see it. I hope we all do.

finaldx
Basically, cancer arises as a transcription error in the replication of DNA. There are many more transcription errors than cause cancer, but once in a while, the error is in a part of the DNA that allows activation of a gene that initiates the cancer. Basically, the problem with malignant cells is that the cells lose their ability to stop deviding, as the cells that live in that organ usually do, and thus, a tumor is formed. Because the cells have "run wild" and have lost their ability to behave in the way that the original configuration told them to.

itifonhom
Because is a deadly disease.......

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, March 23, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy