Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

How long did your loved one live after they found out they had breast cancer?
my mom recently passed away from it. Was just curious....

I have stage 3 colon cancer and want to know how many years will I live after chemo?

My mom has lung &liver; cancer 3 YRS no bowl movement for3 weeks alot of pain what can be done lots of laxative

My dog has leucemia and some cancer?Isthere anything that ican do the doctors say she will only last for only?

Additional Details
a couple of weeks!!...

What to do and eat to prevent cancer?

Has anybody had a bone scan,wot is involved please?

Please help! 4 yr old nephew has the following symtoms..?
My nephew has lost alot of weight, eyes are sunk in, will not eat hardly at all. My neice took him to the doctor and the urine test showed an abnormally high wbc in his urine. He is thirsty and will ...

Treating Cancer with Vitamin C Mega Dose 10Grams?
I have Prostate cancer spreading to Spine. I am on Calutide 50, 3 tablets a day.
One Nobel Laureate Doctor suggests that we take
Vitamin C 10Grams Mega dose to fight cancer.
Is it ...

Not sure if this has been discuss,but what would you do?
I was watching one of those 24hr news channels, and they had brought up the hpv shot. would you let your daughter get it or not. please explain....

My mouth has a bump in it. Is this a sign of Oral Cancer?
The bump is on my lip and over the past few weeks it has been getting bigger and bigger. Also, I have little white and red things on my tong and every time I brush my teeth my tong starts bleeding.<...

I think my mom smokes!?
i found a pack of cigarettes in her room and i went in her bathroom and found one in the toilet.
and there was 2 in the backyard that my little brother and sister found.

i asked her ...

How do you feel after smoking a cigarette?
i just want to no cause i thinking about starting.!
Additional Details
HELPPP PLEASEEE...

A question about cancer?
When you go through chemo, your hair falls out, does that mean all of your hair on your body everywhere falls out?...

Cancer patient would like to know other cancer patients opinions?
I am looking for responses from cancer patients who don't just trust their Dr's automatically. People who are keeping up on advances and researching for themselves. I moved from AZ to CA ...

Can a cell phone give you brain cancer?
im being very cautious when i use my phone and i want to know if it can....

How do you know you have lung cancer?

My mom 's face is gray is that fdrom chemo, and can she died from getting chemo?

How long can you live with blood cancer?

Should my mother file for disability since she was diagnosed with breast cancer? She has no health insurance!

Any advice for me ? I have just been diagnosed with cancer in my left kidney.?
I would like to know what to expect. Will they put me on chemo or just remove the kidney and check to make sur that was enough?...

kf
Why do they say ''He or She LOST their fight with Cancer''?
How could they say they lost the fight with cancer. Some cancers you can't control and they're almost impossible to beat yet they say ' they lost their fight with cancer' as if the person let them down. The person had no control over it. They can't force themselves to live if the cancers out of control, so why do they say that?

SPD-WRLDS
cancer can not kill you as long as immune system soldiers fighting the cancer cells and not giving the chance to form a tumor and spread but when the cancer cell begin to replicate and spread around the body then we attack cancer cells with chemotherapy or surgery assasination on the tumor but sometimes even after doing that some cells are adapted to the treatment and thats how the battle is lost.

notalonewithcancer
Because we are fighting the battle OF our lives and FOR our lives. When the cancer consumes us, we lose our fight. But until the cancer totally takes us over, we continue to fight to stay alive. I plan on fighting it til my last breath.

Mo.
Having cancer is a struggle, a fight, a battle… And in the end when someone passes on they’ve lost the fight… The cancer beat them. That’s the best way I can describe it.

Hope this helps – Mo

Double Diamonds
Rating
No one gives in to the dreadful disease, so in effect, it is a fight, even sometimes at the end when it is a fight just to breathe.
Yes, after my mother lost her fight, and she was oh so very brave, I would say that she lost her fight with cancer. She tried to always get that extra day, to see that one person one more time.

Simmi
Rating
I think that a lot of people see dealing with cancer as a battle, so if the person dies, then they lost the fight. My father, mother and husband died of cancer. I have cancer now. I don't feel my family let me down, nor am I trying to let the family I have left down. I think you are reading too much into this.

hazel2000
Rating
Thanks for asking this question, because I was thinking of asking a similar one - Like why are people always battling cancer. It makes them seem to be superman or woman. When I had cancer (I may still have it floating around somewhere-I haven't reached the 5 year mark yet)-I sure didn't feel like I was the one doing the battling!!

S155
From the moment of diagnosis we are faced with a battle against Cancer. When we put ourselves through surgeries and a multitude of treatments...we are fighting for our lives. And I think I prefer "they lost their fight with cancer" as opposed to "the cancer won" or "the cancer beat them".

Panda
When someone is taking treatment to shrink or destroy their cancer either with surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or experimentals . . they are indeed fighting for their lives . . when the cancer resists that treatment and gains control than the person is losing their fight to stay alive . . the cancer is winning and when they die . . they have lost their fight with cancer. And, you are wrong about the control part . . people chose to have treatment are 'fighting' the cancer . . when the treatment fails . . they lose the fight with cancer.

Sexy Chica
Rating
Because its sometimes easier to say that then, they died of cancer. Nobody likes to share the news of death in their family or about friends. I see your point, but please try not to take it personal. People just say that as a way to make it easier for the person hearing the news. My stepdad died from cancer in 2000. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to see. And he did fight hard. I am sorry that you lost someone to cancer.

lo_mcg
Rating
While I sympathise with what others have to say here, I detest 'fight' and 'battle' metaphors when it comes to cancer. A number of reasons, the main one being the implied criticism of those who didn't make it - did they not 'fight' hard enough?

I didn't 'fight' my cancer, my doctors did, and they did a bloody good job, as four years on from being diagnosed with an aggressive and late stage cancer I'm fit and well with no evidence of cancer at my last check up.

Nobody talks about 'fighting' heart disease, or 'fighting' a stroke, this terminology is reserved for cancer. Why? It's the stereotype of the 'brave' cancer 'victim', a stereotype I find patronising in the extreme. If I had chosen to have cancer in order to spare a child having that cancer, THAT would have been brave. Coping with cancer because that's what you've got isn't brave - you have no choice.

There is also no evidence that 'being positive' or having a 'positive mental attitude' helps fight cancer - that it does has become received wisdom and people quote it as if it's a proven fact. It isn't, and actually there's some evidence that it doesn't make any difference. This report in the British Medical Journal explodes the theory that a 'fighting spirit' is associated with longer survival from cancer or that 'hopelessness and helplessness' means poorer outcomes. The researchers analysed existing studies from1979 onwards; their conclusion is:

'There is little consistent evidence that psychological coping styles play an important part in survival from or recurrence of cancer. People with cancer should not feel pressured into adopting particular coping styles to improve survival or reduce the risk of recurrence.'

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/325/7372/1066

I know from experience that urging a cancer patient to 'stay positive!' can have a negative effect - it sometimes made me feel guilty, and therefore worse - because I just COULDN'T feel as positive as people were urging me to be.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2011 HealthExpertAdvice Sunday, February 3, 2013
Terms of use - Privacy Policy