Home | Links | Contact Us | About Us | Bookmark
Medical Forum Search :

Homepage      News      Health Topics     Health Directories      Medical Forum      Dictionary  
Health Forum    Cancer
Health Discussion Forum

A cancer cure?Too much money to be lost?
Well...I was just thinking about cancer. Over the years there have been millions, if not billions of dollars donated to research to find a cure for cancer. Dont you think with all of that money they ...

My Mom has been living with bone cancer for about 6 months now, how long to you think she has to live?

Is it true that milk is causing cancer now? that scientist barely have found that it is.?
milk was long ago when jesus was still alive.
all this time, they finally find that milk is causing different
cancers.....

Can someone get cancer from a cell phone case?

Tamoxifen?
I had a lumpectomy with Sentinal node removal about 2 months ago. Lymph nodes were negative and I'm receptor positive. I'm half way into my 33 days of Radiation. The Oncologist wants to ...

Do animals suffer from cancer?

So Afraid of cancer?
ive been going through depression for a little over a year . ive actually been paranoid of gettin cancer, for some reason mainly lukemia, i know any cancer is dangerous and deathly but for some ...

My Boyfriend of 6 yrs found out yesterday his fathers cancer has spread to his liver ,How long does he have?
They said its not as bad as they anticipated, so they are going to start kemotherapy in the next week or so, can it be cured or can a compatable sibling give him a part of there liver?
A...

Is it true that heart is not vulnerable to cancer?
What other parts of the body are safe?...

What r the symptoms of liver cancer?

Am i right or not?
do you think if cancer suddenly appeared in the human race like a virus that the government would invest millions of pounds to finding a CURE as quick as possible?

but because it is ...

Bump on armpt?
I've had this strange bump (about the size of a penny) on my left armpit for 2 months. It got a little larger in size over the 2 months, but not by much. It is raised and it's the same ...

Why would someone do this?
Why would a person ask "What's your favorite kind of cancer"? What brings on this kind of ignorance, unsensitivity, and carelessness of others feelings? If you don't know what I&...

Medicare refuses to pay for moms cancer medicine as prescribed by her doctor.. what can we do?
She has cancer and was prescribed Sofran for her stomach upset, but medicare refuses to pay for it because it is expensive $800 for 7 pills, but it is the only thing that settles her stomach upset....

A former co-worker informed me that her mother was diagnosed with cancer. Is sending a sympathy card tacky?

What Percentage of People With Cancer Are Smokers?
I guess a clearer way of asking this is: What percentage of those who have cancer, contracted it because they smoked tobacco?...

I have a changing mole, but is it Cancer or just a scratch?
I have a mole on my stomach, but recently I noticed that it has changed. It now hurts when I touch it, it's purple/black in color, it's elevated and not flat like normal moles, and it has a ...

Sir, I want to know about cancer drugs?
how these drugs can provide anti-cancer ...

Has anyone ever had cancer really bad and wasn't expected to make it and is still alive?
My mom's friend has had breast cancer for a while now. She was told that it had spread. Then she found out that one of her doctors wasn't even supposed to be in practice and gave her the ...

If a mother on intravenous antibiotic with staphyloccoccus infetion can still breast feed?

shanakf
What does the 5 year survival rate mean?

Additional Details
I was just asking not refering to myself.

iloveveggiesnstuff
Rating
The reason orthodox medicine treats cancer like a chronic disease is because orthodox treatments, in high doses, would kill the patient long before they would cure the cancer. This failure of
orthodox medicine to safely kill cancer cells (i.e. safely target cancer cells) is why they talk about a "5 year cure rate" rather than a true cure rate. If they can keep the patient alive for 5 years they consider the patient to be "cured," even if they die in the sixth year.

When the orthodox medicine people came up with their "5-year cure rate" they clearly had in mind that they wanted to convert cancer into a chronic disease, meaning the patient was going to be on prescription drugs for the rest of their life. That was clearly their goal, because as they convert people into chronic patients their "cure rate" will go up and up ( i.e. more and more of them will hit the 5 year mark, but they will be on drugs for life).

Their definition of "cure" has NOTHING to do with how many cancer cells a person has, what their health is, how long they will live after the 5 year mark, how their immune system is doing, how many microbes they have in their body, etc. etc. It is just a number which reflects their ability to convert cancer into a chronic disease. The more they are able to convert cancer into a chronic disease, the higher their "cure rate," using their tricky definitions.

--
Rating
its means surviving for 5 years on average.

Take my advice, I dont need it.
Rating
You usually are given a percentage in addition to the 5 year survival rate. Like stage III cancer for example has a 15% 5 year survival rate. That means that someone with stage III cancer has 15% chance of surviving the entire 5 years. If you have been given that percentage along with the survival rate, thats what they meant. If you are still unsure of exactly how long the docs are suggesting, then ask again and tell them to please be specific with a number in months or years.

the numbers I used were random, I do not know if stage III has a 15% 5 year survival rate.

rxpbear
well i would think to it would be apprx 5 yrs to live , but keep a positive attitude. my dad is sitting right next to me right now and said in 1988 they gave him 5-7 yrs to live and they gave him expeirmental drugs (like what do we have to lose) and yes he is still here hang in there and god bless there is ALWAYS something to live for

Nvrgvup
The medical profession use a five year timeframe so they can say, assuming you survive five years and one day from the effects of chemotherapy or radiotherapy, that you are cured.
They never use the word healed.
If you do not survive, they will say it is because of cancer, never the treatment, so be carefull what choice you make.

missilverspoon
According to the American Cancer Society that is the benchmark by which doctors can say you are cured. I know because I have talked to people in the AMA about this. I have 4 more years of remission to go. My doctors say that is entirely possible. I am in remission from the apl form of aml leukemia.So if you have cancer I feel for you and if you can make it to this benchmark it could mean that you are cured.

edanddeb98
Rating
What is a cancer survival rate?
Cancer survival rates or survival statistics tell you the percentage of people who survive a certain type of cancer for a specific amount of time. in your case it means you have about 5 yrs..

Cancer survival rate:
A tool to understand your prognosis
Find out what a survival rate can tell you and what it can't. This can help you put survival statistics in perspective.
One of the first questions many people ask when first diagnosed with cancer is about their prognosis. You might want to know whether your cancer is relatively easy or more difficult to cure. Your doctor can't predict the future, but he or she can give you estimates based on the experiences of other people with the same cancer.

It's up to you whether you want to know the survival rates related to your cancer. The numbers can be confusing and frightening.

What is a cancer survival rate?
Cancer survival rates or survival statistics tell you the percentage of people who survive a certain type of cancer for a specific amount of time. Cancer statistics often use a five-year survival rate. For instance, the five-year survival rate for prostate cancer is 99 percent. That means that of all men diagnosed with prostate cancer, 99 of every 100 lived for five years after diagnosis. Conversely, one out of every 100 died of prostate cancer within five years.

Cancer survival rates are based on research that comes from information gathered on hundreds or thousands of people with cancer. An overall survival rate includes people of all ages and health conditions diagnosed with your cancer, including those diagnosed very early and those diagnosed very late.

Your doctor may be able to give you more specific statistics based on your stage of cancer. For instance, 49 percent, or about half, of people diagnosed with early-stage lung cancer live for at least five years after diagnosis. The five-year survival rate for people diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread (metastasized) to other areas of the body is 2 percent.

Overall and relative survival rates don't specify whether cancer survivors are still undergoing treatment at five years or if they've become cancer free (achieved remission). Other types of survival rates that give more specific information include:

Disease-free survival rate.
This is the number of people with cancer who achieve remission. That means they no longer have signs of cancer in their bodies.
Progression-free survival rate. This is the number of people who still have cancer, but their disease isn't progressing. This includes people who may have had some success with treatment, but their cancer hasn't disappeared completely.
How are cancer survival rates used?
You and your doctor might use survival statistics to:

Understand your prognosis.
The experience of other people in your same situation can give you and your doctor an idea of your prognosis — your chance of achieving remission. Other factors include your age and your general health. Your doctor uses all of these factors to help you understand the seriousness of your condition.

Develop a treatment plan.
Statistics can also show how people with your same cancer type and stage respond to treatment. You can use this information, along with your own goals for treatment, to weigh the pros and cons of each option. For instance, if two treatments give you similar chances for remission, but one has more side effects, you might choose the option with fewer side effects.

What can't cancer survival rates tell you?
Cancer survival statistics can be frustrating because they can't give specifics about you. The survival rate for people with your particular cancer might be based on thousands of people. So while cancer survival rates are meant to give you a general idea of people in your situation, they can't give you your individual chances for remission. This can be frustrating and for that reason, some people choose to ignore cancer survival rate statistics.

Survival rates have other limitations.
For instance, they can't:

Give you information about the latest treatments. People included in the latest cancer statistics were diagnosed more than five years ago. The effects of any recent treatment discoveries won't impact survival statistics for at least five years.
Tell you what treatments to choose. That's entirely up to you and your doctor. For some people, the treatment with the greatest chance for remission is the one they'll choose. But many people figure other factors, such as side effects and the treatment schedule, into their decision.
Understanding the numbers

Survival rates
are usually given in percentages. You might find that it's easier to understand the numbers in terms of people, not percentages. For example, the five-year survival rate for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is 63 percent. It might be easier to comprehend if you say it this way: For every 100 people diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, 63 survived for at least five years after diagnosis. Conversely, 37 people died of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma within five years.

If your doctor talks about statistics and you don't understand, ask for an explanation that makes sense to you. Ask questions if you need more information.

It's up to you and your doctor to interpret the numbers. You might think a 63 percent survival rate is positive, or it may frighten you as you think about your future. Your doctor can help you put the statistics in perspective and help you understand your individual situation.

You might choose to ignore cancer survival rates
It's entirely up to you whether you want to know the survival rates associated with your type and stage of cancer. Because survival rates can't tell you about your situation specifically, you might find the statistics are impersonal and not very helpful. But some people want to know everything they can about their cancer. For that reason you might choose to know all the statistics that pertain to you.

The more you know about your type, grade and stage of cancer, the more closely you can predict your risk. If you have a very localized cancer and you are using statistics that include many people with a more widespread cancer, then that data may not apply to you.

Knowing more about your cancer can reduce the anxiety you feel as you analyze your options and begin your treatment, but survival statistics can be confusing and frightening. Tell your doctor if you'd prefer not to pay attention to the numbers. And if you have any questions or concerns about the statistics associated with your cancer, talk about it with your doctor.

Stewart
odds of still being alive in five years.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Archive: Forum -Forum1 - Links - 1 - 2
HealthExpertAdvice does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2014 HealthExpertAdvice Saturday, December 20, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy